• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 18 is out very soon and there are few gameplay videos... Is that troubling?

cbrun44

Nahhh they are completely competent developers....

MaddenGlitch.gif

I don't know. Seems like something Cam would actually do???

Farsi

They better have made major improvements to the running game or at the very least reverted back to the old style. The change they made last year was such a drastic and unnecessary change that people barely run the ball online anymore. It's one of the big reasons why MUT is dying off imo.

Common misconception. The NFL was the one that decided they only wanted to work with one company. EA simply outbid 2K.
That's not true at all. 2K5 coming out at 19.99 made EA go to the NFL and NFLPA for exclusivity.

Even if you believe that the NFL wanted an exclusivity license and 2K and other companies simply lost a bidding war, that's not even true in the case of the more important NFLPA license:

http://kotaku.com/5091515/did-ea-and-the-nflpa-conspire-to-lock-2k-out-of-the-football-market

They better have made major improvements to the running game or at the very least reverted back to the old style. The change they made last year was such a drastic and unnecessary change that people barely run the ball online anymore. It's one of the big reasons why MUT is dying off imo.

It's dying off in what way? EA makes more and more money off it each year

SUPARSTARX

Are they introducing new mechanics and designs? I have a feeling it's gonna be the same game as last year but a different number/cover.

Haven't bought a football game since 2k5 but might pick this up for the story mode. There should be more advertising though. I'll wait for reviews.

2k5 was the shit, and it going exclusive did kill my interests in football games. I wanna get back in it, but I still have a sour taste.

2k5 was the shit, and it going exclusive did kill my interests in football games. I wanna get back in it, but I still have a sour taste.

That's exactly where I'm at. I've finally been contemplating getting a PS4 or Xbox One in part due to feeling like playing an NFL game again, since the last time I played one seriously was 2k5.

On the surface it seems bad that they would be hiding the game after improving the visuals with frostbite but the dev blogs outlining the gameplay improvements look promising.

I remember EA did this same "no gameplay videos" before launch with Madden 25 and that game turned out fine despite being the first one on this gen's consoles.

That was likely the worst madden ever

Madden will sell to the people that buy Madden every year, I don't think gameplay videos that show the same old Madden are going to get anyone interested that isn't already interested.

Farsi

The top forum communities for MUT were much more active for 16 than this year, some of the biggest most popular MUT youtubers aren't getting the same views they were getting with 16 either. MUT got so bad this year that even the 2K youtubers aren't tossing Madden a bone like they did years prior.

They also made more money with 17 because 16 was very friendly about giving F2P a ton of coins and content without having to spend a dime.

The top forum communities for MUT were much more active for 16 than this year, some of the biggest most popular MUT youtubers aren't getting the same views they were getting with 16 either. MUT got so bad this year that even the 2K youtubers aren't tossing Madden a bone like they did years prior.

They also made more money with 17 because 16 was very friendly about giving F2P a ton of coins and content without having to spend a dime.

Until it affects $$, EA won't give a shit. And it's not affecting money

amdb00mer

I wanted to see 4k videos showing off the supposed 4k assets the Xbox One X would be using. They briefly mentioned this during their horrible E3 conference.

Justified

Common misconception. The NFL was the one that decided they only wanted to work with one company. EA simply outbid 2K.

Also, bit of trivia: Madden 18 has been in development for several years.

Prove it isn't true.

ummm it was a class action lawsuit against this very deal. There were some leaked internal emails around that time also

It brought to light that EA started the negotiations

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/madden-class-action-suit-ea/

EA admitted they were doing the lobbying:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/b...k-exclusive-licensing-agreement/1100-6114977/

jwhit28

I was actually thinking about picking the game up this year. They talked about fixing the deep flatzones, handicapping user controlled mlbs so only the really highly rated ones can shutdown midfield, and the new blocking audibles seem like they should make it much easier to know who will be rushing free or picked up by the RB.It is hard to believe any of that without even cherry picked video though.

At least DNA is on the soundtrack.

KaYotiX

Banned
Will use my Ea Acess and try it again. Will prolly buy since I love most Madden games unless it's utter trash like Madden 25 was.....

That's not true at all. 2K5 coming out at 19.99 made EA go to the NFL and NFLPA for exclusivity.

Even if you believe that the NFL wanted an exclusivity license and 2K and other companies simply lost a bidding war, that's not even true in the case of the more important NFLPA license:

http://kotaku.com/5091515/did-ea-and-the-nflpa-conspire-to-lock-2k-out-of-the-football-market

I don't know anything about an NFLPA license.

Dog, this is like EA PR 101. Tell me you don't actually believe this.

It's what I was told by an employee when I worked there. I have little reason to believe otherwise. I'm not really down with the common "EA is evil" narrative.

ummm it was a class action lawsuit against this very deal. There were some leaked internal emails around that time also

It brought to light that EA started the negotiations

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/madden-class-action-suit-ea/

EA admitted they were doing the lobbying:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/b...k-exclusive-licensing-agreement/1100-6114977/

The first link is about the price of the games. The second isn't written in a way that unambiguously states that having an exclusive license was EA's idea, rather than the NFL's. It could easily mean that for the years prior to the deal being signed, EA was trying to win the bidding war against Take Two for the license.

By the way, guys, the earliest anyone will be able to play the game is 8/22. Assuming cert takes the industry standard (I think) 2 weeks, then they'll just now be getting ready to submit. As in, folks are working overtime on this stuff while you complain that trailers aren't out yet. :(

I suspect that they're already working an a cool trailer.

By the way, guys, the earliest anyone will be able to play the game is 8/22. Assuming cert takes the industry standard (I think) 2 weeks, then they'll just now be getting ready to submit. As in, folks are working overtime on this stuff while you complain that trailers aren't out yet. :(

I suspect that they're already working an a cool trailer.

Xbox people can start playing it on 8/17

Xando

With the change to frostbite it makes me kinda nervous.

Definitely waiting for PS4 reviews before buying it

The last time EA sports were relatively silent was a disastrous year for the NHL franchise, with an unhealthy amount of content stripped fromthe previous games. Here's hoping it's not a repeat of that. That said, the most diehard players will have early access through EA Access and I would expect them to be very vocal if it's not up to snuff.

Bsigg12

Just don't buy it until EA Access subs have had a chance to dive into it. EA is leaning more in influencers now because they can control the message more than a typical preview so I wouldn't expect to hear much unless it's from some prominent Madden player on YouTube.

Z_Y

This thread again...?

I had no idea that Madden fans were so concerned about seeing extensive gameplay before launch.

Any past exemples were a specific Madden game ended up sucking because of that?

Madden 96 on PS1. The game was actually cancelled. I was devastated. Traded in my Genesis and SNES for a PS1. No Madden that year. Can you imagine?

K-Gun

Until it affects $$, EA won't give a shit. And it's not affecting money

I believe UT revenue increase year over year was much smaller than in the past but thats to be expected. As the previous poster mentioned, it was easier to earn coin in 2016, 2017 was easy too but it took some effort. Honestly, it's easy as fuck to earn coin once you know what you're doing, but EA is making it harder to sell and trade coins going forward. I do feel interest in MUT took a nosedive in 2017, EA needs to do a better job of releasing UT and Golden Ticket program earlier in the year, people are burned out by May, but EA wants the gravy train to roll throughout the year so they hold back content. They've also tied the tourney scene to MUT, but the casual MUT player doesn't want to go against those guys, so the sharks end up eating the big spenders. EA is trying to address that by separating the pool of players, it's a tight rope to walk.

That's really what EA is focused on with 2018, keep every player group happy and hope the cash rolls in from both pools.

It's been the same gameplay for the better part of 10yrs. Only the visuals have improved, and they still can't get the player models correct.

what I wanted forever is an unranked MUT h2h mode, let the tournament players with their same 2 glitch plays play in ranked, the rest of us play unranked

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's been the same gameplay for the better part of 10yrs. Only the visuals have improved, and they still can't get the player models correct.

That's not true at all.

mnannola

Don't Madden games always suck when they switch to a new engine? If they are switching to a new one this year, don't expect anything different.

Jagsrock

Banned
Serious question; What has drastically changed from say Madden '10 to now? I feel like there isn't a lot of wiggle room with sports games besides updating graphics and rosters. Which, honestly rosters could be updated via updates. Yearly sport games make no sense to me. Every few years makes sense. At least then there may be a difference graphically that stands out.

Are they introducing new mechanics and designs? I have a feeling it's gonna be the same game as last year but a different number/cover.
Yes new blocking mechanics and logic, new ability to id the mike backer, target passing.better db/wr interactions, better tackling. new frostbite engine for presentation.new story mode. Also I feel by splitting the game into three categories, arcade, sim, competitive. They have the opportunity to give a better sim experience since they have finally isolated it as it's own thing.

With the change to frostbite it makes me kinda nervous.

Definitely waiting for PS4 reviews before buying it
Don't Madden games always suck when they switch to a new engine? If they are switching to a new one this year, don't expect anything different.

The new engine thing has been misunderstood. It Should be okay considering it just helps mostly with presentation and isn't really replacing ignite when it comes to physics. they have stated that the physics package implemented is an upgrade if the current one.so if anything it should be better.

People like to shit on ea but they've honestly made lots of improvements and changes over the years. For one there is a whole new physics engine which for the most part works really well. They've improved the run game substantialy including better blocking better footwork and animations. Passing wise they've also improved with more options on where to put the ball. This year they've even added a new target passing mechanic for better lead passes.
They've added player lock feature from ncaa along with on the fly coaching adjustments,improved defensive adjustments and db/wr interaction. The connected franchise mode is pretty solid and commentary to a huge leap last year, with updates throughout the season.lastly presentation is much more true to life with real broadcast camera angles, more dynamic bro films style shots and replays.if they could just fix the halftime show they'd be set. There's tons of other little changes they've made I won't go into. Sure they still have some issues but to say nothing has changed, come on. I'd say last years game was pretty fucking solid and if they can legit make some improvements to logic and smooth out the physics engine/animations this year could be great.

you guys have this thread every fucking year.,

Find the one from last year since you talking

Last time madden switched to a new engine was in 2005 with Madden 06 on 360. Ever since then the new engines have just been heavy modifications of that engine.

Anyways, frostbite is more of a graphics engine update for Madden instead of physics.

I didn't buy Madden last year cause they mentioned in their investment call how 18 would be on frostbite and that intrigued me. But like the title saya, the game is out in 2 weeks and we don't have shit. From what we've seen and the people who have played this at Ea Play and E3, the impressions are good, but it still doesn't make sense we have yet to see high res videos of this game and it releases in 2 weeks.

Thank goodness for EA access

I didn't buy Madden last year cause they mentioned in their investment call how 18 would be on frostbite and that intrigued me. But like the title saya, the game is out in 2 weeks and we don't have shit. From what we've seen and the people who have played this at Ea Play and E3, the impressions are good, but it still doesn't make sense we have yet to see high res videos of this game and it releases in 2 weeks.

Thank goodness for EA access

The game comes out next week on EA access. I have it and will download it. If they dont share anything I'll end up posting gameplay videos but this is bs

Top Bottom