• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Rymuth

I said it before, HW-wise Ninty absolutely slayed.

Three Sony exclusives in the top 10 (two of them first party), March was a very good month for Playstation.

Real cool to see 20 games in the charts as opposed to 10. Thanks NPD group.

Asd202

GMdr1_s-200x150.gif

Heh probably because of Halo Wars 2 :p.

jman2050

So with Zelda at 925k, 1-2 Switch at ~170k, and 1.3 million total software sold, that leaves about 200k for everything else?

Bomberman being over 100k would be the funniest thing.

Kill3r7

Nier did well. Zelda did very well and Wildlands should hold the crown until Destiny hits.

Since we all love our online co-op shooters. And seeing how Wildlands sold big.

Can you guys just imagine how big Destiny 2 is going to be?

Destiny 2 will be the biggest selling game this year. I would be really surprised if it was not.

Boke1879

Since we all love our online co-op shooters. And seeing how Wildlands sold big.

Can you guys just imagine how big Destiny 2 is going to be?

Celine

- "March 2017 will go down in history books as the month Nintendo broke records.The Nintendo Switch had the biggest hardware launch for a Nintendo platform and the second biggest launch for any video game platform since 1995, the time NPD began tracking this category."
Wait I thought Switch opened slightly lower than what XBO did.
Wouldn't be the third best launch since 1995 then (behind PS4 and XBO)?

Didn't it release in February? Plus as an RTS, it's going to see more sales on PC. Especially with Play Anywhere.

While RTS do sell better on PC, because it was exclusive to the Windows 10 store, I doubt it sold any significant number on there. The majority of copies there will be from people who bought the Xbox copy. The upcoming Steam release will garner it most of its PC sales.

1 out of every 5 Switch sold bought a copy of 1-2 Switch. It isn't doing horrible.

Bomberman likely eclipsed 100k.

I guess so. It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the coming months though once there's more options like Splatoon, Kart, Minecraft, etc. It just doesn't seem like it's going to light the world on fire or anything.

Interesting that on GAF there was a thread talking about what Switch games people were most likely going to get, and the most common prioritization was Zelda -> 1-2 Switch -> Bomberman - which is exactly what shows up here. Bomberman really benefited from being a launch game and I bet 1-2 Switch probably did too.

Chris1

- Starting next month, Microsoft's digital sales will be reflected in the software charts.

Good news

Also liking new format, it's a lot similar to PAL charts now. The only thing missing is platform rankings now.

Welfare

So Switch software is

Total: 1.3M

Zelda: 925K
1-2 Switch: 172K
Bomberman: Not to far below 1-2 Switch, so maybe ~125K?

That's already ~1.2M so everything else would be low, which is kind of a given.

Also Microsoft giving digital data is great.

Mass Effect at #3 even though it came out two weeks later or more than it's competitors in the top 4.

I mean, it's good for the franchise I guess, but people really like their unfinished games. And it's not like the issues weren't vastly showcased before release. Voting with your wallet indeed.

Exodust

Banned
People who argued Bomberman needed waifus to sell look a bit silly now.

Is Ghost Recon Wildlands any good? I'm definitely blindsided by it's success even though Ghost Recon has always been reasonably popular.

Mory Dunz

Surprised at 1-2 Switch doing comparitvely better in Japan in US. Expected the opposite.

At least Mario Kart is coming soon to help Zelda.

And sheesh at GTA.
Expected ME:A to be above Zelda

Looking at older reports the 4 million might have been for sold through. Their older reports on RE6 elaborated on what was sold and what was shipped. The last number we got was 3 million. So they might have shipped another 1 million in march. Maybe. But it's not looking hopeful. The game fell off in Japan.

You might be right, but I thought when comonies made financoak projections it will generally shipped, not sold. As for RE7 I think the lack of replay value may have hurt it more tHan the switch in perspective. No mercenaries mode or any equivalent mode meant was I done with it after one playthrough. Short single player games with no MP component don't sell exceptionally well these days.

Square2015

Let me share the NPD data I've collected:

Nintendo Past Console Launch Months (NPD)
Code:
GBA 870,000
GC 648,000
GBA SP 535,000
DS 480,000
Wii 476,000
WiiU 425,000
3DS 398,000
N64 326,000
GBC ~205,000
GBP ~23,000
VB ~8,000

So Switch software is

Total: 1.3M

Zelda: 925K
1-2 Switch: 172K
Bomberman: Not to far below 1-2 Switch, so maybe ~125K?

That's already ~1.2M so everything else would be low, which is kind of a given.

Also Microsoft giving digital data is great.

Wasnt everything else litterally just skylanders, just dance and BoI

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Mass Effect at #3 even though it came out two weeks later or more than it's competitors in the top 4.

I mean, it's good for the franchise I guess, but people really like their unfinished games. And it's not like the issues weren't vastly showcased before release. Voting with your wallet indeed.

brand recognition and marketing matter a lot

Day one PS4.

Dont read too much into PS4's day one million sales

4 of the 5 are open world action games...

Open world is not a genre. GR is a shooter, Nier and Horizon are action RPGs and Zelda is an adventure game. It is definitely varied, as it also has games and new IP like For Honor and 1-2-Switch, as well as games like MLB, Resi 7 and Bomberman.

Ubi is doing crazy well btw. GR, For Honor and R6 are all massive hits.

Top Bottom