• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Meowster

They patch the save crash shit yet? Wanna buy this this summer for CoM since it's the only platinum I didn't collect on the PS3 version.
This only happened to me once between the first three games and that was II and it only happened once after thirty five hours of playtime. You should be good. Just save often just in case.

Schneider

Finally got around to playing this after p5, finished proud mode kh1 last night, but recom is dampening my enthusiasm... any tips on proud for recom? Cloud wrecked me, seems every thing he does is a combo that can eat any attack I launch :(

Fj0823

Finally got around to playing this after p5, finished proud mode kh1 last night, but recom is dampening my enthusiasm... any tips on proud for recom? Cloud wrecked me, seems every thing he does is a combo that can eat any attack I launch :(

Learn lots of Sleights
Put 3-4 0 value cards at the bottom of your deck for easy combo breaks
Keep a separate deck for bosses and a fun one for grinding

I just...

13 years...

playing Kingdom Hearts 1...

and I just learnt you don't have to defeat the Lizard in Deep Jungle, you only have to beat Clayton....

Banzai

On human bosses you only need one thing ! : Lethal Frame
You'll crush them.

That's the stop+attack+attack sleight, isn't it? That's exactly the one that doesn't work on Axel. When he teleports while the sleight is charging up it gets interrupted and doesn't do anything.

I just...

13 years...

playing Kingdom Hearts 1...

and I just learnt you don't have to defeat the Lizard in Deep Jungle, you only have to beat Clayton....
Oh really? I always beat the lizard first just to make Clayton easier.

I'm playing through KH1 now and just locked the keyhole in Traverse Town. Always feels like a good checkpoint in the story. Trying to earn the trophy for No Continues while playing on Proud...

LycanXIII

Thinking about it, how much in game time passes in each of the games? I know Sora sleeps for a year at the end of CoM, but how long does each world take in the first game, or each floor in Castle Oblivion?

Looking at it now,
Axel left for CO on Day 23, and Roxas finds out that the team was "wiped out" on Day 51. So there's a little over 3 weeks between Sora becoming a Heartless at Hallow Bastion, and him entering CO, then he's in Castle Oblivion, climbing 13 floors, for 4 weeks, before entering the sleep pod for 314 days.

Yeah, I just answered most of my own question. It's just an odd thought I had.

Banzai

[...]
So there's a little over 3 weeks between Sora becoming a Heartless at Hallow Bastion, and him entering CO
[...]

To be fair, 2 of those weeks were for farming items for synthesis. But the timeframe for CoM surprises me. The plot seems like the kind of thing that would play out over at most a day or two.

From Halloween Town to the end of Kingdom Hearts 1 should be about 2 months or so, considering Jack was preparing for Halloween and then in Kingdom Hearts 2 he's prepping for Christmas.

Just how big an improvement is the 60fps?

I kind of don't want to double up on trophy lists when I haven't even platinumed the PS3 versions...

Really wish they shared lists.

Schneider

Learn lots of Sleights
Put 3-4 0 value cards at the bottom of your deck for easy combo breaks
Keep a separate deck for bosses and a fun one for grinding

I've learnt every slight whenever I have the level for it, just seemed like a smart option so that's good I guess.

What do you mean with the 3-4 0 cards? To start a sleight with? They almost always seem to get interrupted for me so I try to not use them too much, unless I'm doing something really wrong.

And for bosses do you just prioritise higher value cards at the cost of less cards, or cheaper cards to burn on slights?

Banzai

I've learnt every slight whenever I have the level for it, just seemed like a smart option so that's good I guess.

What do you mean with the 3-4 0 cards? To start a sleight with? They almost always seem to get interrupted for me so I try to not use them too much, unless I'm doing something really wrong.

And for bosses do you just prioritise higher value cards at the cost of less cards, or cheaper cards to burn on slights?

0-cards break anything when they are played last, and are broken by anything if played first. Meaning you could end any boss's sleight by playing a 0 card.

I actually only have one deck consisting of a bunch of Blitz and Lethal Frame Sleights. Those usually take care of any boss and normal fight. Exceptions are bosses that can't be hit as easily (Ursula, for example). Also, Axel is kicking my ass right now.

Vashetti

Banned
KH 2 world that never was boss spoiler:

What level should I be to face Roxas? I'm at around 44 and he usually kills me by the time I've got him to two bars left. (doesn't help that trying to use potions has resulted in me being killed before I can use it :()

So yeah, what level should I be/any tips you can provide outside of guarding as soon as the battle starts (I learnt that the hard way)

Did you get past it yet? :)

Schneider

0-cards break anything when they are played last, and are broken by anything if played first. Meaning you could end any boss's sleight by playing a 0

So when facing normal enemies, does this mean if you play a zero need to use something before someone plays something? So confused ;-; and do you face axel again? That first fight was tight enough

Famassu

So when facing normal enemies, does this mean if you play a zero need to use something before someone plays something? So confused ;-; and do you face axel again? That first fight was tight enough
Zero breaks anything & everything, anything & everything breaks zero. Can be useful in blocking high-level attacks but it can backfire when enemies can as easily break your attacks if you use zeros. So a bit of a double-edged sword if not timed well.

MAX PAYMENT

Never played a KH game before.

What a weird and boring intro. Got to the pet where you're looking for raft parts and decided I'll come back later.

Schneider

Zero breaks anything & everything, anything & everything breaks zero. Can be useful in blocking high-level attacks but it can backfire when enemies can as easily break your attacks if you use zeros. So a bit of a double-edged sword if not timed well.

How does it work then if you spam multiple zeros? Where's the line drawn where it starts and ends; who gets their card broken?

Sorry for all the questions, it does seem like a good battle system but it just doesn't seem to click with me like kh1's

Never played a KH game before.

What a weird and boring intro. Got to the pet where you're looking for raft parts and decided I'll come back later.

Yeah, the intro of the original and KH2 are really slow. I'd say the original has the slowest start, but 2 drags on for an entirely different reason.

The game picks up at the boss fight in the next world, which is when the game starts properly more or less.

Hobbun

Are the old (original) strategy guides still accurate for these remixes? Or have there been a lot of changes in the games?

Fj0823

How does it work then if you spam multiple zeros? Where's the line drawn where it starts and ends; who gets their card broken?

Sorry for all the questions, it does seem like a good battle system but it just doesn't seem to click with me like kh1's

You can break Axel's 3 card combosfrom with a 0 card, but he'll probably proceed to break your 0 card with one of his cards. You have to be prepared.

0 Cure is my go-to card for breaking 3 card combos as it gives me some HP before they break itup

Also for Axel SPAM Blizzaga/Blizzard Raid

Are the old (original) strategy guides still accurate for these remixes? Or have there been a lot of changes in the games?

They are accurate except for a few changes and additions that you just need to be aware of.

Kingdom Hearts 1: Some chest contents have been changed (important for Dalmatian collecting), one trinity mark has been moved, several new Heartless have been added alongside Synthesis materials and weapons.

Kingdom Hearts 2: Additional post-game content added but the core strategy guide should remain. Online guides should help you out with the new additional challenges.

Hobbun

They are accurate except for a few changes and additions that you just need to be aware of.

Kingdom Hearts 1: Some chest contents have been changed (important for Dalmatian collecting), one trinity mark has been moved, several new Heartless have been added alongside Synthesis materials and weapons.

Kingdom Hearts 2: Additional post-game content added but the core strategy guide should remain. Online guides should help you out with the new additional challenges.

Thanks!

Schneider

You can break Axel's 3 card combosfrom with a 0 card, but he'll probably proceed to break your 0 card with one of his cards. You have to be prepared.

0 Cure is my go-to card for breaking 3 card combos as it gives me some HP before they break itup

Also for Axel SPAM Blizzaga/Blizzard Raid

Cloud still giving me a hard time, really struggling to not say screw it and go to kh2 if it wasn't for the story, might just have to grind a bit until I can cheese it

LycanXIII

The Prima strat guide that they released for 1.5 was never updated from the original game, as a head's up to anyone. It has the new Heartless and everything, but the item chests are wrong.

Zomba13

Finished off Terra's BBS stuff earlier. Forgot how much I liked the game and it's infinitely better now I can move the camera with a stick. I really like the style switching and being able to pick your finisher and the D-Links letting you switch up your style whenever. The worlds still suck, too small, too empty, too short. I mean, I understand why and with the three stories they add up to the usual worlds amount but still. I played on Proud and remember having a muuuuuuuuuuch harder time on the PSP at the same level. I guess this time I did synth more abilities (which lead to me levelling up more) but damn, I really shoulda played on Crit but not gonna bother now with the others because I won't get the trophy. Oh well. Will likely do Crit on KH2.

Oh, the Arena stuff is shit though. Having to level up by doing the bad kart racing and bad board game in order to unlock more fights. That stuff drains my soul.

Famassu

If you break an enemy attack and continue a combo with 0 cards, the enemy has a fair chance of breaking your combo. Zero cards are good for breaking some strong attacks that you know are hard to evade or which can hit you hard, otherwise I wouldn't use them much for general attacking.

I'm getting really tired of Ansem 2. It's such bullshit. And if you die, you have to refight the shadow giant.

Toughest part of the final boss gauntlet, honestly - if you can make it past this fight, you can do the rest of it (and honestly, if you're going to have a nine-stage final boss sequence that takes like an hour to complete, it's good to have the highest-difficulty part of it appear early on).

For whatever reason, I really prefer KH1's final boss gauntlet to KH2's - largely because it feels less gimmicky, I guess (the dragon/lasers stuff in KH2 is a slog every time no matter how high your level, and the final Xemnas fight has too much scripted stuff toward the end of it to be fun to casually replay).

Anyhow: Aeroga will really help you wreck Ansem 2, for what it's worth.

LAM09

Playing through KH1 for the first time and it's growing on me having completed the first world & midway into the second
have just beaten Cloud

Meowster

Toughest part of the final boss gauntlet, honestly - if you can make it past this fight, you can do the rest of it (and honestly, if you're going to have a nine-stage final boss sequence that takes like an hour to complete, it's good to have the highest-difficulty part of it appear early on).

For whatever reason, I really prefer KH1's final boss gauntlet to KH2's - largely because it feels less gimmicky, I guess (the dragon/lasers stuff in KH2 is a slog every time no matter how high your level, and the final Xemnas fight has too much scripted stuff toward the end of it to be fun to casually replay).

Anyhow: Aeroga will really help you wreck Ansem 2, for what it's worth.
True though I prefer the actual fight with the real Xemnas at the end than any of the Ansem fights in the first Kingdom Hearts. "We shall go together" has been etched into my memories for good.

True though I prefer the actual fight with the real Xemnas at the end than any of the Ansem fights in the first Kingdom Hearts. "We shall go together" has been etched into my memories for good.

It's a good fight story-wise, but KH1FM Xemnas and Memory's Skyscraper Xemnas are much more fun and more mechanically enjoyable, I think.

Definitely looking forward to whatever is done with Xemnas in KH3 - I hope he gets sort of a best-of-each-fight moveset.

Razmos

Can you imagine a fight with all 13 (Dream Drop Distance spoilers)
versions of Xehanort at once?
with them perhaps switching to perform different moves? Or combining moves

Young Xehanort stopping time and then Braig going crazy with his guns

Stuart444

So I keep losing to that fucker in the world that never was. I even guarded against all of his attacks but as soon as he does that cheap fucking move where he flies up into the middle and sends balls your way. I almost always get killed. I use quick run, I use jump/high jump, but if just one hits me, all of them hits me.

Also if you get hit once by any of his attacks, you can't heal til the combo is over which can easily kill you.

It's pure BS. I'm 99% sure if not for that flying ball attack, I would have killed him many attempts ago. It's utter cheapness.

But I'll keep trying because fuck it, I came this far, I'm not giving up. (I wish you could use drive recovery in battle, that would solve all my problems almost)

and no, I don't have once more or second chance. Before anyone asks again.

So I keep losing to that fucker in the world that never was. I even guarded against all of his attacks but as soon as he does that cheap fucking move where he flies up into the middle and sends balls your way. I almost always get killed. I use quick run, I use jump/high jump, but if just one hits me, all of them hits me.

Also if you get hit once by any of his attacks, you can't heal til the combo is over which can easily kill you.

It's pure BS. I'm 99% sure if not for that flying ball attack, I would have killed him many attempts ago. It's utter cheapness.

But I'll keep trying because fuck it, I came this far, I'm not giving up. (I wish you could use drive recovery in battle, that would solve all my problems almost)

and no, I don't have once more or second chance. Before anyone asks again.

well you should

but also: since you don't have those things, Reflect spam is absolutely your friend in this fight, as is Guard in a pinch. Unlike KH1, KH2 is built much more around guarding against hits (and sometimes countering them) than it is around evasive combat, especially when it comes to the vanilla bosses.

Stuart444

well you should

but also: since you don't have those things, Reflect spam is absolutely your friend in this fight, as is Guard in a pinch. Unlike KH1, KH2 is built much more around guarding against hits (and sometimes countering them) than it is around evasive combat, especially when it comes to the vanilla bosses.

Why should I when I started a blind playthrough and knew not what would give me skills that might be useful later (I chose struggle magic wand and sword for the second choice)? So I don't know when I'll get those skills?

And reflect will only help me against one of those ball hits. That's what I'm struggling with. That and the stun lock the minute you are hit.

Like I said, I know how to guard against most of his attacks. Just one mess up is enough to finish the fight.

I'd probably be less annoyed if not for the BIG run from the save point to the boss (since hitting continue puts you back there). That big run is just stupid.

On the bright side: I have my combos figured out. Hit him until you do one finisher, then hit him another 3 - 4 times then back off since anymore will cause him to break out of it.

That helps shaves off a good chunk of HP.

Razmos

Why should I when I started a blind playthrough and knew not what would give me skills that might be useful later (I chose struggle magic wand and sword for the second choice)? So I don't know when I'll get those skills?

And reflect will only help me against one of those ball hits. That's what I'm struggling with. That and the stun lock the minute you are hit.

Like I said, I know how to guard against most of his attacks. Just one mess up is enough to finish the fight.

I'd probably be less annoyed if not for the BIG run from the save point to the boss (since hitting continue puts you back there). That big run is just stupid.

On the bright side: I have my combos figured out. Hit him until you do one finisher, then hit him another 3 - 4 times then back off since anymore will cause him to break out of it.

That helps shaves off a good chunk of HP.
You get once more at level 47 if you chose the sword. That will protect you from the combos, and equip leaf bracer too so you can heal through his attacks.

BroBot

I'm finally up to the epic return to Hollow Bastion in KH2. It's just as amazing as I remembered it. If KH3 can have at least one moment like that one I'll be content.

Famassu

Thanks. I'll grind till then. I do hate how cure magic is tied to all of your MP :(
I think it's fine, since there are other means of healing oneself (items, summons, using Drive modes), so timing the use of these different means feels more strategic and learning to dodge/repel/whatever enemy attacks becomes more important, since you can't just spam healing things constantly without running out of potions and "cool down" on other healing abilities.

Razmos

Oh shit I forget you get to beat the daylights out of Peter Pan in Birth By Sleep. This make slogging through Terra's story worth it

Thanks. I'll grind till then. I do hate how cure magic is tied to all of your MP :(

I disliked that when KH2 first come out, but I've since come around and now think it's a really brilliant system (and lacks KH1's problems, where you can get sort of permanently stuck with 0 MP and 1 HP and that's basically a death sentence if you aren't careful, or where there's an odd perverse incentive to get hit sometimes in order to restore MP, or where curing your allies is annoying). KH2 instead gives you a very managed margin of error and a much larger number of defensive tools, such that Cure magic is an option of last resort instead of something you're using periodically throughout battle as you take basically inevitable damage.

In KH2FM, for self-defense, you've got Forms, especially Limit Form, you've got Summons, you've got Reflect, you've got Limits, you've got Guard, you've got numerous ways of juggling/stunlocking enemies, you've got Aerial Dodge/Dodge Roll, *and* you've got Cure. Cure's mainly there in case you mess up with all of the other options.

Top Bottom