• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action games with Chinese fantasy setting (ie wuxia, xianxia, xuanhuan)

Gaminar

Banned
*eats popcorn* I'm happy for ya'll but when do we get dem Bollywood fantasy games where I can apparently kill people with Bananas? Slide horses underneath cars or stop a car travelling at 170 mph with my bare body causing a nuclear explosion?

And no, Saints Row doesn't cut it. I want a narrative driven game where the camera flashes back and forth for 5 minutes because I made the wrong choice.

*eats popcorn* I'm happy for ya'll but when do we get dem Bollywood fantasy games where I can apparently kill people with Bananas? Slide horses underneath cars or stop a car travelling at 170 mph with my bare body causing a nuclear explosion?

And no, Saints Row doesn't cut it. I want a narrative driven game where the camera flashes back and forth for 5 minutes because I made the wrong choice.

gta mods are youur friends

Usobuko

Banned
I also read Jin Yong novels growing up and used to read all the powerlevel bullshit on the Internet comparing his characters across all the novels.

I need something fresh, more unconventional and subverting to catch my attention these days.

Flying on swords is the best way to fly.

For those unaware, most recently, that puppet thing ElectricThunder is talking about: Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica and Kikokugai fame actually helped out with a wuxia anime - but it wasn't anime in 2D, it was puppet based.

It was also fucking awesome:

Thunderbolt Fantasy. Yes, those are puppets.

Z3hAVqa.gif

gzlBykH.gif

5osm1G4.gif

This show is cool as fuck ALL THE TIME.

Sushigod7

I'm so thankful you posted this OP, the game looks amazing but better yet the translations that are posted give me something new to read that I love. Wish more wuxia was translated but these will give me plenty to work with.

Dio

Banned
I'm so thankful you posted this OP, the game looks amazing but better yet the translations that are posted give me something new to read that I love. Wish more wuxia was translated but these will give me plenty to work with.

Going through the 'ranking' list on novelupdates and eyeballing the 'popular' usually helps.

It's pretty obvious when one story is particularly shit if it's high on the list but has like a 2.5 star rating. I don't always put stock in stars and ratings but in this case it turned out to be a good guide.

Spaghetti

Shenmue representin'.

Taking place in China does not a wuxia make. For that, we're talking about specific story settings, social systems, and an emphasis on the specifics of martial arts.
The poster you're replying to didn't make the case properly, but Shenmue is Wuxia from the start by being a martial arts revenge story with mysticism/philosophy elements, and then later leaning fully into the genre by introducing the concept of Chi.

4Tran

as someone who grew up reading Jin Yong,I would definitely buy an action game in a wuxia setting (bonus points if its one of jin yongs stories omg)
I'd love that too, but it's hard to see how to do that in a compelling way. If you're going to stick to the original novel's plot then that limits the scope of what you can do. But the stories don't have the leeway to create new adventures the way the Witcher games do. Most of Jin Yong's stories are about taking a young man (or boy) and seeing his progress all the way to a martial arts master, and while the progression is what you'd like to see in a game, it's sort of hard to make it work with an original plot.

there are some existing RPGs that are fairly famous but I don't think they've ever been translated to english - Chinese paladin is a very well known RPG series that got made into a TV series.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhpl92FB5Xg&ab_channel=大宇資訊SOFTSTAR
Two TV shows even. I believe that they're based on the first and third games. There are a lot of other MMO-esque games made based on similar settings, with more coming out every year. I don't think that the developers are very interested in introducing these games to an international audience for the most part.

Shenmue representin'.

The poster you're replying to didn't make the case properly, but Shenmue is Wuxia from the start by being a martial arts revenge story with mysticism/philosophy elements, and then later leaning fully into the genre by introducing the concept of Chi.
It is and it isn't. This kind of material puts Shenmue in the same category as Jade Empire; borrowing from Kung Fu films but not really delving into the heart of wuxia. In a sense that's unavoidable because it takes place in the modern world and wuxia (at least modern wuxia) is pretty strictly about social systems that can't exist any more.

Dio

Banned
I was thinking about this thread when the recent Chinese anime 'The King's Avatar' started airing. It's an interesting perspective, thinking about gaming and the like from a Chinese POV.

Then again, it seems like a lot of the 'game' setting Chinese stories are set in (or stories like the anime) these days use either a Dungeon Fighter or WoW clone.

I'm probably one of those weird Chinese hipsters that don't like Wuxia stories. I find them very cringe-y and ridiculous. Like trying to take Power Rangers seriously. The characters are so goofy. The "romance" if you can even call it that is absurd.

I'm more into the historical war novels like Romance of the 3 Kingdoms or Water Margin.

Dio

Banned
I'm probably one of those weird Chinese hipsters that don't like Wuxia stories. I find them very cringe-y and ridiculous. Like trying to take Power Rangers seriously. The characters are so goofy. The "romance" if you can even call it that is absurd.

I'm more into the historical war novels like Romance of the 3 Kingdoms or Water Margin.

It's not that I "take them seriously" - they're fun and the fights are cool.

You could say the same about Power Rangers, actually.

A lot of them, especially xianxia, are tropey as fuck and essentially 'oh fuck this guy is beaten down and weak, the worst guy....but he has a special encounter and gets a special thing or item that allows him to grow into the most badass guy ever and beat up all his enemies!' Sometimes this involves the protagonist's childhood friend getting married to a rich pretty boy and he needs to get her back, or something.

It's about execution, really. You can do it well, or do it badly.

TI82

Banned

A lot of them, especially xianxia, are tropey as fuck and essentially 'oh fuck this guy is beaten down and weak, the worst guy....but he has a special encounter and gets a special thing or item that allows him to grow into the most badass guy ever and beat up all his enemies!' Sometimes this involves the protagonist's childhood friend getting married to a rich pretty boy and he needs to get her back, or something.

It's about execution, really. You can do it well, or do it badly.

Agreed

giphy.gif

I don't mean you or anyone taking them seriously, just that the stories themselves feel so serious yet fails to see how ridiculous everything is.

Power Rangers is the same, but it knows it's ridiculous and silly. Wuxia do not. At least that's the impression that I got.

This doesn't mean I am right of course. I know plenty of people like this stuff.

Timbuktu

I don't mean you or anyone taking them seriously, just that the stories themselves feel so serious yet fails to see how ridiculous everything is.

Power Rangers is the same, but it knows it's ridiculous and silly. Wuxia do not. At least that's the impression that I got.

This doesn't mean I am right of course. I know plenty of people like this stuff.

I've only really read Jin Rong, which pretty much kept my Chinese reading skills up after I moved to the UK as a kid. They occupy a similar space in my mind as Lotr, the Hobbit or GoT. They are all pretty silly from an outside perspective, but within a genre I guess they are seen by a certain set of rules and expectations.

I have tried to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but the old Chinese makes it quite hard to get into.

everyer

interesting topic...as a Chinese player reading such an article on NeoGAF really means something...

there are lots of typical Chinese games, most known are MMOrps.

剑侠情缘网络版三 Jianwang 3
---------------------------------
System based on WOW, there are raids, tank/healer/dps, but most dialog/lore/music are fantastic. The game set up on the history of Tang Dynasty. It's between Wuxia and Xianxia
Character design attracts lots of young girls...(male character looks like female in this game which I couldn't buy in...) but they are indeed beautiful.
wZMcOJX.jpg

UyvIaEi.jpg

天涯明月刀 Tiandao online
---------------------------------
Based on same title novel written by 古龙 Gulong. System a bit like Blade&Soul, highlights for PVP 1:1 and solid action. This is definitely Wuxia game.
Graphic is much better than Jianwang3, but the lore and side quests are weak.
This game developed by Tencent, free to play but like most F2P games, you need a lot of money to really enjoy it.
wWBJ1GY.png

JBhT2dC.jpg

侠客风云传 Tale of Wuxia
-------------------------------
You can find this game on steam. It's Chinese P5 style game. The former one in the series are earlier than any persona game. But there is a gap in the series.
This one is not AAA game, more indie style. Player enjoy it because the game calls back their memory on Chinese RPG games golden age.(In my 14+ I played a lot of Chinese RPGs... good story telling and good system/game play...)
YnqaDt5.jpg

N876Js6.jpg

There are still countless games I didn't mentioned...
The feeling that you play such games, holding a sword in your hand, just feel like Gandalf with staff, and Ezio with dagger.. It's just feel so cool...

As for me.... I'm waiting for some single play games coming to PS4.

everyer

For those unaware, most recently, that puppet thing ElectricThunder is talking about: Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica and Kikokugai fame actually helped out with a wuxia anime - but it wasn't anime in 2D, it was puppet based.

Z3hAVqa.gif

gzlBykH.gif

5osm1G4.gif

I watched this one too... also get BD collections from Amazon JP... So sad the cartoons in CN mainland are most focus on early childhood...

Dio

Banned

Depends. I Shall Seal the Heavens is one of the most popular xianxia out there and the main weapon the character relies on early in the story is a mirror that literally destroys animal's asses. Like, makes their butts explode. Not all of it is super serious all the time.

DunpealD

I think Platinum Games would be a good candidate for such a game. With their OTT portfolio like Bayonetta, MGR and Nier: Automata it would be a really good match.

Who doesn't remember in Bayonetta summoning demons, utilizing huge punches and kicks or punching somebody into the sun?

Some type of SRW like crossover would be pretty awesome too, as long as the animations are on par with SRW. It should be quite a challenge to put all kinds of heroes into a game though, due to the different lore and power levels.

TreIII

Z3hAVqa.gif

gzlBykH.gif

5osm1G4.gif

I think I saw this playing on someone's computer ONCE when I over a friend's house last year, but forgot to ask what it was.

Thanks! Now, I know what I need to catch up on!

Top Bottom