• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Big Trouble in Little NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

NandoGip

Sigh.... i went into this knowing the mixed reviews and i think i have to admit that i agree with some (not all) of the criticisms.

1) i really wish the fights were better
2) dannys ramen hair cut was super annoying
3) they had a tough time balancing realism and the mysticallity of iron fist
4) the oversexualizarion of joy and colleen was too distracting. Tight skirts with shots of her butt and cleavage constantly...
5) etc

Now i did enjoy the show, i wouldnt say its bad, but tbh it couldve been 10x better :(

Edit: another problem i see is that somehow the comics are actually going to come out looking like they have a better story somehow

Volimar

Come on man... that just totally dismissing what the stunt crew did for this show. There are interviews out there that talks about the martial arts research and all of the the training that went into this. Those are real professionals there, and the stunt coordinator for the show is actually Asian American with a bunch of choreography and martial arts experience.

The problem starts up top, not there. When you hire an out of shape dude who's never done martial arts before and give him a few weeks to learn martial arts AND get in shape, then makes it so stunts are planned in 15 minutes at 2AM at night, it's a sign you don't give a fuck. When you don't put together a budget for this stuff and decide to focus a hero known for mystical martial arts on dumb soap drama about rich white people. When there's a clarismatic Asian dude who knows martial arts and you like enough to bring back to the final rounds only to hire a less qualified white dude because of his skin color. That's where the issue starts.

Agree with all this.

Macam

Banned
I hope this never gets a season 2. Just garbage. Random thoughts:

Ward has the fastest on screen zero-to-drug addict-to-clean I have seen since Gene Hackman in The French Connection 2 (and Gene fucking sold it, unlike this bed-strap humping moron)

That said, I thought the actor playing Ward did a decent job with what he was given by the shit script.

Rosario Dawson saves almost every scene she is in. Instead of Iron Fist 2: Fist Harder, just do a damn Night Nurse series, Netflix.

Movies with better fight choreography than Iron Fist:
- They Live
- The Theory of Everything
- Kramer vs Kramer
- Ernest Goes to Jail

Madam Gao: bad-ass setup in DareDevil. Bad-ass silhouette scenes in early episodes, totally squandered by episode 7. For f*** sake... this was a frigging LAYUP, Netflix. How do you waste this? I understand that she gets shelved so you can have the Colleen is Hand twist, but the show was setting up for Colleen's dad to be the twist, or her grandfather (Daughter of the Dragon), just do that, and keep Gao as the villian.

Gao is menacing. A smiling old lady who will BURN THE EYES OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND MAKE YOU SLING HEROIN. Bakado was a f***ing camp counselor.

I don't understand half the characters at the end. Joy hates Danny now, even though Ward killed Howard? Davos is hand now? Did I sleep through an episode? Show had enough time to show riveting scenes like Danny Gets Takeout and Danny Eats Hoagie, but not Davos Gives Up His Vows and Joins His Sworn Enemy? Really?

And finally, how the HELL does the series keep teasing about Kun Lun, Danny's training, and his trial ("Wasn't what I expected...") without one coherent and lengthy flashback? I have flashback blueballs. Its like they practically promised a Kun Lun flashback episode with all the dialog and half-flashes, and then nothing? Seriously? @ CGI glowing eyes in the dark, and that's it???

Everything here, save that I'd like to see a soft reboot for a second season, so they can start to rectify this mess and salvage the character.

The final battle was awful. There's no reason Mr. "I'm the goddamned Iron Fist" should've struggled for two seconds against Harold. I can suspend disbelief here and there for necessary tension, but that was just laughably bad; the entire last episode was just a writing mess of the first order.

The endless flashbacks of Danny's mom getting sucked out of the plane for the first six or seven episodes was absurd, as was his inability to get over his PTSD after 15 years of elite training and meditation. It just made a mockery of the character's origin story.

The show picked up after 3 or so episodes, but the first few episodes were painfully bad (especially the pilot, which made Danny seem like an entirely unlikeable creeper). Even then it never really went anywhere. Stylistically, it was all over the map. Sometimes it seemed like it was going to do a 70s martial arts film styled flashback, only to pull back, and quickly cut to some other meandering sequence.

The show just shouldn't have gone out the door as it did.

Not trying to come from a place of confrontation, but sincerely: why is it such a big deal if rand is played by an asian actor?

Rand and Iron Fist is just an area where some felt an Asian-American actor would fit and in general Asian-American or Asian representation is rather low in the Marvel and DC cinematic universes. The other characters, notably Jessica Jones, could have equally been Asian-American, though Daredevil's Irish Catholic background ends up being a big aspect of the character and Luke Cage's specific setting makes it more likely for him to be black. Then there's pushback, mostly because folks insist that Rand needs to be white, and then we have an internet argument. Before all this, I noted that Iron Fist would diverge heavily from the source material, and I was largely correct. As I pointed out earlier, folks seem to have no issues with the other racial changes, like Davos.

The truth is, we're not getting Shang Chi and even if we were, Shang Chi would not get his own show, because he treads similar ground as Iron Fist. There was a hope that the character might appear in Iron Fist, but that show has other things to do, even in a potential second season.

If you're wondering why fictional representation is important, that's a much larger argument. I can relate to many characters, but for me personally, Lando in Star Wars was a huge moment for me as a kid. Emotionally, seeing a character like themselves feels important to people. That's the larger picture that extend beyond Iron Fist.

Is drunk Kung Fu guy the one who auditioned for the role of Danny?

This show needs me comedy

Yes, Lewis Tan played Zhou Cheng and lobbied heavily to play Rand in the show.

gallery-1490116100-lewis-tan-iron-fist-2.jpg

gallery-1490111939-iron-fist-zhou.gif

It's worth noting that Davos' actor, Sacha Dhawan, also lacks an martial arts experience.

NandoGip

Rand and Iron Fist is just an area where some felt an Asian-American actor would fit and in general Asian-American or Asian representation is rather low in the Marvel and DC cinematic universes. The other characters, notably Jessica Jones, could have equally been Asian-American, though Daredevil's Irish Catholic background ends up being a big aspect of the character and Luke Cage's specific setting makes it more likely for him to be black. Then there's pushback, mostly because folks insist that Rand needs to be white, and then we have an internet argument. Before all this, I noted that Iron Fist would diverge heavily from the source material, and I was largely correct. As I pointed out earlier, folks seem to have no issues with the other racial changes, like Davos.

The truth is, we're not getting Shang Chi and even if we were, Shang Chi would not get his own show, because he treads similar ground as Iron Fist. There was a hope that the character might appear in Iron Fist, but that show has other things to do, even in a potential second season.

If you're wondering why fictional representation is important, that's a much larger argument. I can relate to many characters, but for me personally, Lando in Star Wars was a huge moment for me as a kid. Emotionally, seeing a character like themselves feels important to people. That's the larger picture that extend beyond Iron Fist.

Thanks for the response. To answer your second point first, i understand and agree with fictional representation in media. As a brazilian-american with blood from the black side of the country, no need for us to debate that lol.

With that said, the reason why i asked is because ive actually read some of the comics (not as much as i would have liked) but he was always portrayed more white than asian. With the show being so far away from the source, i kind of agree now with him being played by an asian actor.

Especially reading the comment about the guy who played the drunken fighter! Wow! He did such a great job. I feel bad for the guy who was cast, i doubt he would have signed up knowing how poorly his performance would have come across due to the reported production issues

It's worth noting that Davos' actor, Sacha Dhawan, also lacks an martial arts experience.

Davos was far more believable for me,
which Is funny considering his last role I kept thinking of
latest

Manmeet on Outsourced.

The scene where Harold murders Kyle is really fucked up.

Harold casually doing these crazy violent things is actually kinda freaky. Between this and him hammering dude's teeth.

duckroll

Not trying to come from a place of confrontation, but sincerely: why is it such a big deal if rand is played by an asian actor?

It's not a big deal to me but is it not laughable to say that if Danny Rand was played by an Asian we can never have Shang Chi? Like how does that make sense? Only only Asian hero allowed? There's a quota?

Honestly, none of the writing in this show makes a case for Danny Rand to be a white guy. He could be literally any ethnicity and the show would still be the same.

caliph95

Honestly, none of the writing in this show makes a case for Danny Rand to be a white guy. He could be literally any ethnicity and the show would still be the same.
Especially since Davos shows that K'un Lun is multicultural and they so barely talk about him being an outsider they might have not brought it up. Honestly i don't have a dog in this argument and controversy but they kind of undermine the reason for him being white.

wandering

Banned
It's not a big deal to me but is it not laughable to say that if Danny Rand was played by an Asian we can never have Shang Chi? Like how does that make sense? Only only Asian hero allowed? There's a quota?

We are the immortals, there can be only one.

ev0

That seems to be the rule, as they wouldn't even let Davos be Chinese. He's technically Asian yes, but when Lewis Tan said they gave him another part I thought immediately it would be Davos; because what reason would you even change that for. And for a guy with no martial arts experience either.

I ended up enjoying the show with the lower expectations.

It's really apparent with the lower budget and real odd pacing to straight up lack of fights at times in this series. Reading how they literally only had 3 weeks to train the main actor and only got like 15 min of prep time right before filming the fights, makes a lot of sense now. Just giving an extra week of prep would have made a huge difference, but this is really the results of the higher ups not knowing are giving a damn. Daredevil tights are on a completely higher level than Iron Fist.

Wait wait hold, up we had an actor that had a strong background with martial art up for the role of Danny!?

Oh, come the f' on! I guess it really wasn't a coincidence he had the better more complex fight scene in the series. And they didn't even give the man the bigger role of Davos? Huh.

Zen Aku

Just finished earlier tonight. The way I feel about this show is how Harold feel about Ward.

This show had to much potential in the beginning, it supposed to be the best out of the four. But instead with every passing episode, it couldn't pull itself out of mediocrity. It's especially sad considering the quick flashes of greatness sprinkled throughout. In the end, I just feel disappointment.

Besides the new Skip Intro button, Claire remains the best part of the Marvel Netflix shows. Also, the directors all seem to have quite the crush on her, on account of them keeping her in booty shorts the entire season. I certainly won't complain.

The show was a bit all over the place and pacing suffered in early episodes. It started to pick up steam, but ultimately fizzled out again towards the end. Worst of the netflix series' but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

Why did they make Joy and Davos go evil? That came out of left field...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you're forgetting the greatest hero of them all, QUAKE!

I'm glad there are others who liked the inclusion of Claire. I know some are annoyed by the fact she's shoehorned into everything, but IMO she's a very welcome addition simply because she oozes screen presence and charisma and I love her no-nonsense "not this shit again" attitude. The fact she is absolutely gorgeous and is a genuinely good actress also helps of course.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm glad there are others who liked the inclusion of Claire. I know some are annoyed by the fact she's shoehorned into everything, but IMO she's a very welcome addition simply because she oozes screen presence and charisma and I love her no-nonsense "not this shit again" attitude. The fact she is absolutely gorgeous and is a genuinely good actress also helps of course.
It's weird that she's the Nick Fury of this corner of the universe though. It makes NYC seem like a small village, particularly how she's introduced in this series anyway.

Rosario was one of the few people who managed to make the dialogue almost sound natural. She was a much needed presence IMO.

It's weird that she's the Nick Fury of this corner of the universe though. It makes NYC seem like a small village, particularly how she's introduced in this series anyway.

AFAIK she worked in Hell's Kitchen so she was in the vicinity of Matt and Jessica in DD and JJ. And in Luke Cage she came to Harlem where her mom lives/works and to help Luke out. And at the end of that show you see her pick one of Coleen's fliers and decides to join her dojo to learn some fighting. So in Iron Fist she happens to be there. Yeah, of course it's reaching a bit, but her presence is not that unbelievable. I've personally run into the same people in way more random places/situations in real life to be honest! In any case, she's great and hope she sticks around. I'm kinda worried they may actually off her in the Defenders for a big emotional moment or something and to make way for Jessica and Luke to get together. That'd be a bit too much like Coulson biting the dust in The Avengers though, so really hope they don't!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AFAIK she worked in Hell's Kitchen so she was in the vicinity of Matt and Jessica in DD and JJ. And in Luke Cage she came to Harlem where her mom lives/works and to help Luke out. And at the end of that show you see her pick one of Coleen's fliers and decides to join her dojo to learn some fighting. So in Iron Fist she happens to be there. Yeah, of course it's reaching a bit, but her presence is not that unbelievable. I've personally run into the same people in way more random places/situations in real life to be honest! In any case, she's great and hope she sticks around. I'm kinda worried they may actually off her in the Defenders for a big emotional moment or something and to make way for Jessica and Luke to get together. That'd be a bit too much like Coulson biting the dust in The Avengers though, so really hope they don't!

I don't mind her being in every show, since she's basically the only thing that connects all four together in an explicit manner. I think I would have been fine if she was just the doctor who ended up helping everyone because they all went to the same hospital or something. It's just a bit silly this time around - it'd be like if she went to a library to find a book on spiders and accidentally met Spider-man, who was doing research in order to learn how to use spider powers or something.

Macnair

I can't imagine Danny fighting and winning against a dragon while he can't even beat Howard with no fighting skills. The dragon must be Mushu from Mulan.

LordRaptor

The more I think about it, the more I think Ep6 is the biggest indicator of one of their previous directions they were thinking of taking the show - that Danny Rand is sort of actually crazy and its unclear if K'un Lun is a real thing or a symptom of mental illness, and if he actually has powers or not.

Some of the story beats make more sense that way (like the emphasis on him in the mental hospital), and him talking to people aren't there (but only in that episode) I can see it would have worked as a treatment, especially if it had been kept ambiguous to the audience until a final pay off where he gets his shit together enough to actually use the iron fist , but obviously would have meant even less actual power usage, and his relationship with Davos in particular would have needed to be very different.

Having said that, it would have basically shut the door on ever seeing good old Fist Of Khonshu showing up, because thats exactly the sort of take that show would need - I do still like the concept thats partially explored in ep6 that on one level theres a spiritual battle between the avatars of ancient mystical sects, and on another level its basically bumfights in an abandoned warehouse.

Sblargh

Banned
This was boring. The kind of boring it doesn't even deserve hate, it just... I dunno, it was on the background. It was wallpaper.
-
I think they just botched the whole thing, really. The last time I caught myself re-writing the script in my head was during Jessica Alba's Fantastic Four, another boring movie.

They should have went comedy with this. Danny should have been a reckless goof.
Everything else would just haved clicked from there. Keep the boring story about boring childhood boring friends boring rich boring people boring boring, whatever, if Danny was a happy idiot who somehow was also the greatest martial artist on the planet, the whole thing would have worked. Instead he is super serious boring guy, which is not the Iron Fist from the comics.

Respecting the comics works for a reason: decades of natural selection and horrible stories until these characters find their voices. Danny's voice is not serious mceverything-is-so-important-I-must-defeat-my-enemies-because-honor-bla-bla-bla, he is a happy guy who enjoys being around people. Make this a Jackie Chan movie and your horrible script is salvaged.

Kyne

are all of the places in the Netflix series based on real locations in NYC?

It would be cool to see a heat map of some sort to get an idea of how close everyone is to each other.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Dude has played an Asian gangster in every possible procedural NCIS type show. Not his fault that a racist Hollywood doesn't know what to do with him.

It's unfortunate, but you're missing the broader point I was making. It's great to have someone who's physically trained, but you need someone who can act. That one scene didn't really show a whole lot. I'd like to see more from him.

are all of the places in the Netflix series based on real locations in NYC?

It would be cool to see a heat map of some sort to get an idea of how close everyone is to each other.
Yeah, they're all situated in areas in NYC. Like DD is primarily in Hell's Kitchen. JJ also, for the most part. LC was in Harlem. IF was primarily going back between Chinatown and Midtown East.

jackdoe

It's unfortunate, but you're missing the broader point I was making. It's great to have someone who's physically trained, but you need someone who can act. That one scene didn't really show a whole lot. I'd like to see more from him.
The bar can't be that high considering Finn Jones got the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom