• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmo: Guys Get Turned on When Women Orgasm...It's a Bad Thing (It'sTimetoStop.gif)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

I've heard a lot of straight men say they can "turn" a lesbian straight because of their "skills at making women orgasm." This is a thing. It exists. Maybe not in the liberal spaces that you or many others partake in, but it's there.

This is not a thought exclusive to straight men.

Arkage

Banned
Stuff like this is so incredibly stupid. And what makes it more annoying is the desperate attempt to gain credibility by using typical "empowerment" semantics to pretend there's some sort of actual feminist message to be found here worth looking at. Ugh.

213372bu

Banned
Okay but did any of ya'll actually read the article?

It states that there's nothing wrong with giving a woman an orgasm, the results of heightened masculinity are problematic because there's a deep seated cultural belief that without men, women cannot orgasm. My lesbian friends always get asked how they make each other orgasm, this is absolutely a problem wherein men try to form stupid conclusions about "owning" female orgasms as their own.

You're getting to that conclusion backwards.

The study concludes that since men feel lack of masculinity from precumming/ED that they presumably are feeling more masculine for making women cum.

The satisfaction that comes with making their partner cum is supposedly inherently an achievement that would then enforce their masculinity.

Therefore feeling pride in making your partner cum is problematic according to the researchers.

Izuna

Banned
Perhaps I'm being dense

why is this a bad thing...

Ok.....��������. so here's the thing...

If he ain't happy that he made me explode, then why the fuck are we dating then? Because that would be extremely creepy if he didn't...I mean does the author of this think piece think that having no orgasm is better? I'm lost?

Are you ObamaCare?

Okay. The stupid among us also believe the world is flat. Do we now start printing articles tailored to chastising those idiots too?
We do though? There was literally a thread here the other day about Snoop Dogg (?) thinking the Earth was flat.

marrec

Banned
This is a much more nuanced concept than the knee jerk reactions here..

There's a difference between taking pleasure in a woman achieving an orgasm during sex with you because you genuinely like that she feels good and taking pleasure in a woman achieving an orgasm because it makes you feel more like a man.

The research used to pen this article does not make that difference clear, or even attempt to make that difference clear. In fact, the researchers "we hypothesized that women’s orgasms specifically function as a masculinity achievement for men." and then went about proving it via study, instead of trying to falsify it. Frankly, reading through this study it's quite flawed in its methodology and execution.

I've heard a lot of straight men say they can "turn" a lesbian straight because of their "skills at making women orgasm." This is a thing. It exists. Maybe not in the liberal spaces that you or many others partake in, but it's there.

I live in the bible belt of Canada. There isn't a more conservative area in my country. I've honestly heard women say they can "turn" a gay guy more often, but even that is only a handful of times.

I love watching male partners get off too. Nothing is more arousing in sex than bringing your partner to climax imho

Not sure what could be wrong with that

Servbot24

Banned
I've got no problem with this. If a woman doesn't want me to give her an orgasm because it might make me feel good, I won't. If she does want me to, I will.

riotous

Banned
This just seems like a completely natural uncontrollable reaction; both men and women often have this same reaction.

Obviously this concept of "men thinking they own women's orgasms" is bad; but I really don't buy their conclusion that the phenomenon they describe is at fault or is remotely problematic.

What IS problematic is the fact women's masturbation and other sexual activities are considered more shameful and less normalized than male masturbation. I feel like that's far more at the root of this problem with men thinking they own women's sexuality than the completely unchangeable fact that men will feel more powerful/masculine if they make a woman cum.

The problem lies in the idea that women don't otherwise cum and more importantly aren't supposed to otherwise cum.

Magilla

Banned
I've got no problem with this. If a woman doesn't want me to give her an orgasm because it might make me feel good, I won't. If she does want me to, I will.

But then if you do it will make you feel good and invalidate her orgasm you monster!

marrec

Banned
This just seems like a completely natural uncontrollable reaction; both men and women often have this same reaction.

Obviously this concept of "men thinking they own women's orgasms" is bad; but I really don't buy their conclusion that the phenomenon they describe is at fault or is remotely problematic.

The researchers found a data point and plastered their pre-conceived conclusion on it.

What if you say you're welcome without even waiting for a thank you?

gaiages

Banned
d6f.jpg

Don't partners want each other to feel good and cum? Like... It's not wrong to want that or like it in return.

WTF Cosmo

Then again I only visit Cosmo for WTF stuff so nothing surprising here

Veezy

que?
Okay but did any of ya'll actually read the article?

It states that there's nothing wrong with giving a woman an orgasm, the results of heightened masculinity are problematic because there's a deep seated cultural belief that without men, women cannot orgasm. My lesbian friends always get asked how they make each other orgasm, this is absolutely a problem wherein men try to form stupid conclusions about "owning" female orgasms as their own.

I kid, yes.

However I, personally, lead more on the positive side of that social construction. From the study:

"For example, men might be motivated to attend to women’s pleasure with zeal, no matter the circumstance, because their own sexual skill is perceived as the most important element in women’s experiences of sexual pleasure."

And not on the negative:

"Conversely, there may be negative repercussions. Men may dismiss important contextual factors and/or women’s own agency and experiences around sexual pleasure. For example, if men will not hear a woman’s insistence that she does not orgasm, does not want to try to orgasm, or orgasms only via nonpartnered stimulation (e.g., self-stimulation or toys), they may experience the absence of women’s orgasms as a personal failure or even a challenge."

For me, the study is more indicative of general issues men having shit sexual education
(some don't know what constitutes rape) and that leading to the false impression that ONLY a man can make a women orgasm. I was actually more interested in the additional conclusions from the end of the study. Not that men HAVE to orgasm, but if they don't the sex is bad, they're missing out, you're missing out, and something is wrong. Again, from the study:

"The link between women’s orgasms and men’s masculinity supports this by suggesting how women’s and men’s desire to maintain men’s feelings of masculinity could prompt medical misattributions of unfulfilled orgasm expectations, namely, when the absence of women’s orgasm is treated by both male and female partners as a clinical problem leading to medical diagnoses of dysfunction and disorder."

Overall, interesting, but I'm not a fan of the article itself. Mostly the title. Well, mostly Cosmo.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
This is a much more nuanced concept than the knee jerk reactions here..

There's a difference between taking pleasure in a woman achieving an orgasm during sex with you because you genuinely like that she feels good and taking pleasure in a woman achieving an orgasm because it makes you feel more like a man.

Hey look, someone who actually understands what the article is talking about.

Rayis

I see her argument, I agree with it to an extent, the male ego is extensively documented and a man making a woman orgasm is seen as a pinnacle sexual achievement.

I don't think there's an equivalent for women, but then again, men cum when a light breeze touches their willy so it doesn't quite work the same.

jiggles

Banned
What IS problematic is the fact women's masturbation and other sexual activities are considered more shameful and less normalized than male masturbation.

Is this actually the case, though? I feel like masturbatory aids and sex toys for women are much, much more normalized than they are for men.

Like, a girl owning a dildo or a vibe is a big "so what?", while a guy having a fleshlight or using a cock ring leans more towards a stigma of being a deviant or having dysfunction.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is this actually the case, though? I feel like masturbatory aids and sex toys for women are much, much more normalized than they are for men.

Like, a girl owning a dildo or a vibe is a big "so what?", while a guy having a fleshlight or using a cock ring leans more towards a stigma of being a deviant or having dysfunction.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a negative stigma for female masturbation, at least not in the US.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I kid, yes.

However I, personally, lead more on the positive side of that social construction. From the study:

"For example, men might be motivated to attend to women’s pleasure with zeal, no matter the circumstance, because their own sexual skill is perceived as the most important element in women’s experiences of sexual pleasure."

And not on the negative:

"Conversely, there may be negative repercussions. Men may dismiss important contextual factors and/or women’s own agency and experiences around sexual pleasure. For example, if men will not hear a woman’s insistence that she does not orgasm, does not want to try to orgasm, or orgasms only via nonpartnered stimulation (e.g., self-stimulation or toys), they may experience the absence of women’s orgasms as a personal failure or even a challenge."

For me, the study is more indicative of general issues men having shit sexual education
(some don't know what constitutes rape) and that leading to the false impression that ONLY a man can make a women orgasm. I was actually more interested in the additional conclusions from the end of the study. Not that men HAVE to orgasm, but if they don't the sex is bad, they're missing out, you're missing out, and something is wrong. Again, from the study:

"The link between women’s orgasms and men’s masculinity supports this by suggesting how women’s and men’s desire to maintain men’s feelings of masculinity could prompt medical misattributions of unfulfilled orgasm expectations, namely, when the absence of women’s orgasm is treated by both male and female partners as a clinical problem leading to medical diagnoses of dysfunction and disorder."

Overall, interesting, but I'm not a fan of the article itself. Mostly the title. Well, mostly Cosmo.

You took "men's perceived sexual skill is the main reason women cum" as a positive?

You're basically demonstrating the article's thesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom