• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

Remember when we all used to play nothing but Pong and Space Invaders, and it was all fine?

No analogue triggers is a glaring omission. Anyone who's ever driven a car knows that you aren't either not accelerating, or accelerating as much as possible in all instances. There are inbetweens. It's like they were only thinking of Mario Kart.
Digital buttons are better than analogue triggers for basically every single game that doesn't require accelerating a vehicle. They're no big loss, unless you're desperate to play those games on a Wii U instead if another console.

D-e-f-

Banned
Remember when we all used to play nothing but Pong and Space Invaders, and it was all fine?

No analogue triggers is a glaring omission. Anyone who's ever driven a car knows that you aren't either not accelerating, or accelerating as much as possible in all instances. There are inbetweens. It's like they were only thinking of Mario Kart.

Does it really make a difference in any other genre than sim-racing? I never only use the accelerate button halfway or whatever when playing NFS, Blur, etc.

Realistically, how many games can you see it affecting?

King_Moc

Banned
Digital buttons are better than analogue triggers for basically every single game that doesn't require accelerating a vehicle. They're no big loss, unless you're desperate to play those games on a Wii U instead if another console.

That's why you have two analogue and two digital.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love the 360's analogue triggers. They're brilliant for any driving game, including sandbox titles, and they're more than sensitive enough to feel great as a general button, like for shooting. I prefer shooting with the 360 pad's analogue triggers than I do using the Wii Remote's digital trigger.

An omission is an omission regardless of how infrequently the feature might be used in gaming as a whole, when it's frequently used in a subset of genres. Digital buttons work, but it's a shame Nintendo didn't bother to keep a standard they helped set.

CrispyXUK

Banned
Does it really make a difference in any other genre than sim-racing? I never only use the accelerate button halfway or whatever when playing NFS, Blur, etc.

I don't even do that, I use it like a button. Really can't think of many games that will miss out on it and as others have said a lot of genres are better off with it.

Super Mario Sunshine needs it?

King_Moc

Banned
I love the 360's analogue triggers. They're brilliant for any driving game, including sandbox titles, and they're more than sensitive enough to feel great as a general button, like for shooting. I prefer shooting with the 360 pad's analogue triggers than I do using the Wii Remote's digital trigger.

An omission is an omission regardless of how infrequently the feature might be used in gaming as a whole, when it's frequently used in a subset of genres. Digital buttons work, but it's a shame Nintendo didn't bother to keep a standard they helped set.

Yeah, the 360 ones do work perfectly as an actual button. Firing in COD, etc feels exactly right. People may say 'it'll only affect racing sims' or 'it won't affect games i play', but the more genres that are unable to be played well on Wii U there are, the less potential customers there will be.

Pretty much.
They should have just re-used their design from the Gamecube controller.
Then they'd even have two more digital triggers than the current HD-standard!

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah it does.
I wonder what will people with just an SDTV do?

It still supports scart, from the look of the back of it. The Wii one should work fine. Does it not come with it? Either way, i find it hard to believe that anyone buying it that only has an SDTV, didn't already have a Wii.

madmackem

I play most shooters on ps3 with l1 r1 they arnt analog are they?, i dont think they are and i never have issue.

D-e-f-

Banned

I agree that it's weird and, from a consumer stand point, makes no sense. Though in practice it may turn out mostly insignificant. (Weird how they had analog triggers in the original classic controllers where they had zero use, though.)

So I just put all current controllers on my desk. Got a DualShock 3, 360 pad, Wiimote/Nunchuck and Classic Controller Pro and I googled some images for the Wii U Pro controller and Wii U GamePad.

DS3's triggers are convex and have a weirdly sluggish resistance to them

360's triggers are concave and give in easily and quickly, feels very responsive

Wiimote B-button (concave) feels very good, easy and quick to get a reaction from. The problem with that is the placement and the relation to the rest of the controller. It's not comfortable to reach for multiple presses and precise interaction since the Wiimote is just a simple rectangle.

The z-trigger (flat) on the Nunchuck works much better in comparison to the B-button since your hand can comfortably hold the Nunchuk like any other controller due to the ergonomic shape.

The Nunchuk similar to the classic controller pro (also flat). The only gripe I have with it is that there's not enough feedback, you can't push it in very far.

Now looking at the Pro Controller, the Z-triggers are shaped (concave) like the 360 triggers and appear to have similar travel like the Nunchuk z-trigger.

The Wii U GamePad has triggers shaped like the Wiimote's B-button. That so far is good since they seem to be way more reachable and overall more usable than the Wiimote B-button due to the ergonomic grips on the GamePad. The Wii U GamePad tour video makes them look like they have a little more push-in-feedback than the Nunchuk even, so that's good as well.

So the ZL/ZR triggers may be a step behind the 360's analog triggers because they lack analog input but in terms of comfort and usability, they should be about on-par (gasp! that evil word again!). Should not turn out to be a big deal. Maybe analog-sticks for gas is the new thing anyway (like the weird analog sticks for Hockey sticks and basketball throwing?!)

I can only make these guesses based on images since I've had no hands-on time with a Wii U so far.

Yeah it does.
I wonder what will people with just an SDTV do?

finally upgrade? buy old video cables? :)

It still supports scart, from the look of the back of it. The Wii one should work fine. Does it not come with it? Either way, i find it hard to believe that anyone buying it that only has an SDTV, didn't already have a Wii.

it only comes with the HDMI cables. no other video/audio cables included!

cajunator

Banned
Get with the times and get a hdtv, youd have to go out your way to get a sdtv now my nana 95 years old has a 32" hdtv now.

I dont disagree at this point but not everyone has that kind of money, especially if they have to save and scrimp just to get the system.
Actually, Im kind of looking for an old SDTV just to play my older consoles on still once I have the room for it.

TriGen

I love the trigggers on the 360 controller. I can live without Nintendo using analogue, not a big deal to me personally because I'll have other means of playing games that benefit from them. Like you said though Nintendo really handled them well with GC, and they're standard now, so it would have been nice to use them. I probaly won't really notice, though.

cajunator

Banned
Any world on the wiiu being able to stream video from a media server?

Even the wii could do that to a limited degree, although it was homebrew.
I remember soon after getting the system that there was software that enabled it to stream music from my computer.

Respawn

Banned
I agree that it's weird and, from a consumer stand point, makes no sense. Though in practice it may turn out mostly insignificant. (Weird how they had analog triggers in the original classic controllers where they had zero use, though.)

So I just put all current controllers on my desk. Got a DualShock 3, 360 pad, Wiimote/Nunchuck and Classic Controller Pro and I googled some images for the Wii U Pro controller and Wii U GamePad.

DS3's triggers are convex and have a weirdly sluggish resistance to them

360's triggers are concave and give in easily and quickly, feels very responsive

Wiimote B-button (concave) feels very good, easy and quick to get a reaction from. The problem with that is the placement and the relation to the rest of the controller. It's not comfortable to reach for multiple presses and precise interaction since the Wiimote is just a simple rectangle.

The z-trigger (flat) on the Nunchuck works much better in comparison to the B-button since your hand can comfortably hold the Nunchuk like any other controller due to the ergonomic shape.

The Nunchuk similar to the classic controller pro (also flat). The only gripe I have with it is that there's not enough feedback, you can't push it in very far.

Now looking at the Pro Controller, the Z-triggers are shaped (concave) like the 360 triggers and appear to have similar travel like the Nunchuk z-trigger.

The Wii U GamePad has triggers shaped like the Wiimote's B-button. That so far is good since they seem to be way more reachable and overall more usable than the Wiimote B-button due to the ergonomic grips on the GamePad. The Wii U GamePad tour video makes them look like they have a little more push-in-feedback than the Nunchuk even, so that's good as well.

So the ZL/ZR triggers may be a step behind the 360's analog triggers because they lack analog input but in terms of comfort and usability, they should be about on-par (gasp! that evil word again!). Should not turn out to be a big deal. Maybe analog-sticks for gas is the new thing anyway (like the weird analog sticks for Hockey sticks and basketball throwing?!)

I can only make these guesses based on images since I've had no hands-on time with a Wii U so far.

finally upgrade? buy old video cables? :)

it only comes with the HDMI cables. no other video/audio cables included!

Huh? I have all 3 also and I dont get a sluggish response? Whatever then

rjc571

Banned
Yeah, the 360 ones do work perfectly as an actual button. Firing in COD, etc feels exactly right. People may say 'it'll only affect racing sims' or 'it won't affect games i play', but the more genres that are unable to be played well on Wii U there are, the less potential customers there will be.

Are you people being serious? The 360 controller's triggers (or any analog triggers, for that matter) are HORRIBLE when used as buttons. They take too long and require too much effort to press, they can't be pressed multiple times in rapid succession, and using them in a digital context feels completely unnatural. Shit, even Wiimote waggling is preferable to trigger squeezing when it comes to replicating button presses.

It does create an awkward situation, since the triggers are phenomenal for playing racing games, but if I had to choose I'd rather have a separate controller with analog triggers (or a wheel, but those are expensive) that I use exclusively for racing games, and have the main controller that I use with every other game just use regular shoulder buttons.

As a good example, playing F1 games would be literally impossible without analog triggers. With my settings in rain, most of the the time cornering in and out will be 20%-30% acceleration. 0-100 would be disgustingly bad.

D-e-f-

Banned
Huh? I have all 3 also and I dont get a sluggish response? Whatever then

May have been bad choice of words on my part. The DualShock 3's L2/R2 trigger have more resistance than a 360 pad's triggers. Also when pushing them, you're pushing them slightly downward instead of inwards (which in conjunction with their convex shape could potentially make your fingers slide off). Sluggish was probably the wrong word to use there. They simply don't feel as responsive to me (I played a lot more FPS games with the DS3 than I have played with a 360 pad so far this gen - though not because of controller preference).

As a good example, playing F1 games would be literally impossible without analog triggers. With my settings in rain, most of the the time cornering in and out will be 20%-30% acceleration. 0-100 would be disgustingly bad.

To be fair, we were able to play F1 games without digital inputs on N64/PS1/PS2.

Btw, are you fellow GB duder davidsaurus that I have in my steam friends list and who continually helped me with certain steam purchases? :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You know this post would have made sense... if they don't release games on controllers without analog triggers.

spadge

I am in favour of future comedy unboxings like g0 nintendos

Please post the results of the job, both if it does and/or doesn't end up like this:

MUi3Y.jpg

Wow.

I've done this with my keyboard and mouse before.

Used several layers of standard spray paint, then some clear lacquer to stop it scratching off.
White probably wasn't the best idea though, It picks up a lot of grime.

Jim Sterling commented in the last destructoid podcast that the gamepad analog thumbsticks seem to be a bit short of range. It will be something to look at.
The lack f analog triggers is bad. Hopefully it will push Nintendo to add wheel support like the ps3

zroid

Banned
Jim Sterling commented in the last destructoid podcast that the gamepad analog thumbsticks seem to be a bit short of range. It will be something to look at.
The lack f analog triggers is bad. Hopefully it will push Nintendo to add wheel support like the ps3

I heard that and wasn't really sure what to make of it. They seemed fine to me, but I guess to be fair when I was testing out the Wii U last month, I hardly played anything which used the sticks.

I'll give it another go at a kiosk this weekend.

jimi_dini

Ars Technica: Ten things that surprised us about the Wii U hardware.

www.arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/ten-things-that-surprised-us-about-the-wii-u-hardware

Of course, they're not that surprising if you've been following the Wii U threads on GAF.

Oh god
The Pro Controller button arrangement doesn't match the Xbox 360's

It's the other way round. SNES controller was YX / BA. Wii U Pro Controller is YX / BA. So the 360 controller is the one that doesn't match.

Use as balance board. It has two pressure plates with more sensitivity than an analog trigger, and is controlled with your feet- the same way gas and brake pedals are.

zroid

Banned
Hmm that screw hole thing at the back was new to me.

Use as balance board. It has two pressure plates with more sensitivity than an analog trigger, and is controlled with your feet- the same way gas and brake pedals are.

Have any games done this? Sounds cool. Might be a bit hard to change the applied pressure in a natural way though, without there being any kind of give.

Mmm a balance board seems a bit inappropriate bit Nintendo could well release a wireless gas brake and even clutch to be used with the gamepad. They love to sell plastic

jaypah

With the exception of Sonic Racing and Mario Kart I'm buying all of my racing games elsewhere. Same for any sandbox games that release in the future. I would rather have them on my shiny new console but that's a deal breaker. Nintendo obviously didn't care about it and judging from a lot of the responses it's not a big deal to people. So I'll get to play my games the way I like them and Nintendo misses out on 1 measly customer. Not bad for them or me I suppose.

Mileena

Banned
So there's nowhere left to preorder is there? I'm on the GS wait list but I got some extra cash and wanna get it day one now

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Alternatively, Nintendo includes analogue triggers on the controller that comes with the system, like they should have, and like Microsoft and Sony will, and I don't have to buy a separate, plastic electronic pressure sensitive weight scale just to have analogue control over acceleration and break.

D-e-f-

Banned
With the exception of Sonic Racing and Mario Kart I'm buying all of my racing games elsewhere. Same for any sandbox games that release in the future. I would rather have them on my shiny new console but that's a deal breaker. Nintendo obviously didn't care about it and judging from a lot of the responses it's not a big deal to people. So I'll get to play my games the way I like them and Nintendo misses out on 1 measly customer. Not bad for them or me I suppose.

How do sandbox games factor into this equation?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So there's nowhere left to preorder is there? I'm on the GS wait list but I got some extra cash and wanna get it day one now

Try going Best Buy or Toys R Us. Usually they have tons of units from what I've heard on previous launches.

Rich!

I did as well. Then 3DS and 3DSXL released. Scratches on both top screens :(

Yep. And I left my 3DS XL in our spare room over a week on top of an old dressing cabinet we needed to get rid of.

Once I got back home after that week I didn't play it again until last night. Noticed some dust on the screen. Wiped it off. It stayed, then started moving. And then more of them.

Realised the now disposed of cabinet in my spare room has some kind of mite infestation. And now my XL is full of them.

Fuck!

Im hoping the NN account system will be extended to the 3DS at the U launch. In that case, im linking my ambassador games and selling this XL to put towards Wii U games.

Fucking insects.

Yeah, sandbox games are cases where a "always full throttle" mode would be especially annoying. Takes us right back into the PS2 era.

Top Bottom