• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Great trailer but the longer we go without gameplay videos, the more likely it is that this isnt coming this year. Hoping they do a big E3 blowout and announce a 2012 release.

Well so far we have just seen some cutscenes (aside from the screenshots) and those are most likely pre-rendered in the game's engine like they were in Uncharted. So I'd hold my judgment back until we see some actual gameplay footage.

Well I highly doubt it will look worse than Uncharted 2 or 3. They always improve upon something.

In that regard, I'm ready to be blown away.

theBishop

Banned
It has far more to do with the art and design of the game than the hardware itself (not to mention talent of the studio). Never wondered why all the greatest looking PS3 games are strictly linear? Not really seeing anything in these trailers that isn't possible on similar hardware.

never played Infamous 2?

Kinyou

Well I highly doubt it will look worse than Uncharted 2 or 3. They always improve upon something.

In that regard, I'm ready to be blown away.
Oh I'm sure that it will look better than the latest Uncharted games, we just don't know to which degree.

For a american game, the sexual tension is very rare.
whaaa4dlca.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
ND has these immense high-poly models/faces and environments for those last few pre-rendered screenshots. I can't help but imagine what it would be like if it looked like that while playing.

What kind of hardware would it require to use assets like that in actual real-time gameplay? Would such a thing even be feasible for next-gen in any way? Next-generation high-end PC's?

never played Infamous 2?

It looks good, but it's far from the best looking games on any platform (well, Wii obviously excluded), and even among open world games it has competition from the likes of Just Cause 2, Skyrim and RDR.

Speaking of The Last of Us, I really don't like the color palette, but I'm interested to see what they do with the gameplay.

ND has these immense high-poly models/faces and environments for those last few pre-rendered screenshots. I can't help but imagine what it would be like if it looked like that while playing.

What kind of hardware would it require to use assets like that in actual real-time gameplay? Would such a thing even be feasible for next-gen in any way? Next-generation high-end PC's?
Well...
scaled.php

http://yfrog.com/gz91aafwj

Erebus

Well so far we have just seen some cutscenes (aside from the screenshots) and those are most likely pre-rendered in the game's engine like they were in Uncharted. So I'd hold my judgment back until we see some actual gameplay footage.
Still, judging from the Uncharted games, the actual gameplay graphics won't be all that different.

theBishop

Banned
It looks good, but it's far from the best looking games on any platform (well, Wii obviously excluded), and even among open world games it has competition from the likes of Just Cause 2, Skyrim and RDR.

Speaking of The Last of Us, I really don't like the color palette, but I'm interested to see what they do with the gameplay.

It's pretty soundly better-looking than all 3 of those games. Not only in the usual categories, but also destructibility and physics. I played Just Cause and Skyrim on PC.

Sky Chief

It's not a witty quip, but no one says "Not good!" to anything...

When my friend got pulled over for a DUI I was sitting in the backseat (long story, our other friend got into a fight and we were trying to get him to safety and just drove from one parking lot to another) and he just kept saying "Not good..."

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but their games are always remarkably close to what the cutscenes look like. It's usually the lighting that takes a light hit, and that's basically it.

In fact in UC2 and 3 they had object based motion blur in gameplay that was not present in cutscenes. The models and textures are basically identical, it's just that you don't often have chance to see characters upclose. However, if you turn the camera towards the character and manage to push it closer because there's a wall behind the camera, you'll see how detailed Drake's model is in gameplay, especially in UC3.

*edit* sorry, I see now that you meant screenshots. Those screens are scenes from the game and cutscene, so you'll get to see the detail looking like that in game, but not with that level of AA. They are supersampled a lot.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dont get why darkness equals more atmosphere really.

Maybe not more atmosphere, but more bleakness and fear. There have to be parts that take place at night, or in dark interiors. How could there not be?

It's not a witty quip, but no one says "Not good!" to anything...

Maybe they cleaned it up for the trailer. Maybe she says "fuck cunt shit fuck shit" in the real game.

Sky Chief

For UC2 and UC3 ND used the same models for gameplay and cutscenes

Maybe not more atmosphere, but more bleakness and fear. There have to be parts that take place at night, or in dark interiors. How could there not be?

All ND said is that they don't want the game to have the usual look that you think of when you hear about a post-apocalyptic setting. That doesn't mean that they won't have scenes that are darker than others. The Uncharted games are very colorful in general, but there are still some areas that are dark.

Loudninja

Maybe they cleaned it up for the trailer. Maybe she says "fuck cunt shit fuck shit" in the real game.
I dont agree with that.

I am sure the game will have those areas but you dont need darkness to show fear or bleakness.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They do it like that so that they can render things as quickly as possible, but their cutscenes allegedly do run in realtime on a normal hardware. I remember when UC2 was being announced, some of IGN people reported they saw the train cutscene running on PS3, being paused, camera manipulated etc. The thing is, what they can't run in real time easily are stuff like crossfades between two completely different scenes (even though they did this during gameplay in UC3, in one particularly awesome moment :p ), and they can't load game data ahead while the fully realtime cutscene is running either, so it makes sense to do what they do, to make flow of the game as seamless as possible. When there's no limitations like this, some of the cutscenes in games, especially in UC3, were fully realtime. You could tell how lighting gets some boost when it happens too.

KageMaru

never played Infamous 2?

I haven't played it myself, but I've seen it at a friends house and plenty of footage online. Looks great for a sandbox game but doesn't look any better than other top-tier sandbox games such as RDR or maybe even Just Cause 2 IMO.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing or downplaying anything, just putting things into perspective.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just Cause 2 is really "empty" it got shit compared to the detailed worlds in games like Infamous 2,Saints Row 3,Skyrim and Batman AC and how many stuff run on the screen in these games, it's good vista show but really has nothing that detailed or anything.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have the 115MB trailer in best quality available. If anyone wants it, just tell me what's a good place to upload it to. It's in MP4 format, so you can see it on PS3 as well.

Please, please don't do this. She's quite clearly meant to be like 13, 14. I really hope you're joking.
Probably even younger with a new redesign.

I have the 115MB trailer in best quality available. If anyone wants it, just tell me what's a good place to upload it to. It's in MP4 format, so you can see it on PS3 as well.

Probably even younger with a new redesign.

Mediafire is the best place. It supports download manager and resume feature and doesn't delete the link. If you want it on PS3, upload it to Dropbox, PS3 recently got support for it.

Sky Chief

I haven't played it myself, but I've seen it at a friends house and plenty of footage online. Looks great for a sandbox game but doesn't look any better than other top-tier sandbox games such as RDR or maybe even Just Cause 2 IMO.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing or downplaying anything, just putting things into perspective.

I disagree, I have played all three of those games extensively on consoles and IMO inFamous 2 is a much better looking and running game. RDR has great artistic direction which makes it look really amazing at times and I have seen JC2 on PC as well and it looks incredible but infamous 2 is the better than both on consoles except for some weird effects for some of the powers.

Khar

I really like the art style of the characters. Detailed and crisp, but with an illustrated quality.

Like the difference between Drew Struzan's art for the Indiana Jones posters and a photo of Harrison Ford.

The illustrated quality stops the creepy uncanny valley effect for me. Uncharted worked similarly well. It negates the mannequin dead face look (the faces in Heavy Rain and Crysis for example weirded me out).

KageMaru

For a american game, the sexual tension is very rare.

SMH.

It's pretty soundly better-looking than all 3 of those games. Not only in the usual categories, but also destructibility and physics. I played Just Cause and Skyrim on PC.

I can understand this with JC2, but not RDR. That game is amazing on multiple levels of art and tech.

I disagree, I have played all three of those games extensively on consoles and IMO inFamous 2 is a much better looking and running game. RDR has great artistic direction which makes it look really amazing at times and I have seen JC2 on PC as well and it looks incredible but infamous 2 is the better than both on consoles except for some weird effects for some of the powers.

Now did you play JC2 extensively on consoles or just see someone play it on PC? Sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly.

Edit:

Kinda wish I didn't say anything in the first place as I knew: A) people would strongly disagree and B) it's off topic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really like the art style of the characters. Detailed and crisp, but with an illustrated quality.

Like the difference between Drew Struzan's art for the Indiana Jones posters and a photo of Harrison Ford.

The illustrated quality stops the creepy uncanny valley effect for me. Uncharted worked similiarly well. It negates the mannequin dead face look (the faces in Heavy Rain and Crysis for example weirded me out).
Their characters are becoming more and more 'real' looking with every next game though. The illustrative aspect you're correctly pointing to is being slightly scaled back because their animation becomes more detailed and believable. I think it works like that - the simpler the animation, the more stylized characters need to be to avoid the creepiness factor.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's the highest quality MP4 of the trailer: http://www.mediafire.com/?kufdebn111x661x

I've removed the PLAYSTAYSHN! sting from the end, that kind of stinks up the mood of the whole thing. I've done this without re-encoding btw. You still get the original quality that it was encoded to by Sony.

Just downloaded the HD trailer. Detail is insane, cutscene was so smooth, looked 60fps at times.
It's 30FPS with motion blur, which was lacking from UC cutscenes.

Top Bottom