• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque's new game, Matterfall, gives me Mega Man vibes

SeriousApes

Hard to say since there was no gameplay but from what they showed it looks like RESOGUN in a TPS/FPS perspective.

Haha, yeah, my first thought was that it looked like a Resogun side-story or prequel in a different genre during the voxel invasion. Also, the city reminds me of Shadowfall.

barit

The game looks bad ass....Sony really impressed me with all these unique exclusives coming. I get a feeling they saved a lot from E3 for this conference because, imho, the Paris conference seemed better than E3 for Sony.

Nah, not even close. E3 2015 will be unbeaten for a looong time

I need to see more of the game before I can judge if it's awesome or garbage but Housemarque made some cool games and hits the last few years so I have no doubt that Matterfall will kick some asses.

ced

Fuck CGI trailers, how can anyone come away with impressions of a game from that.

Yeah I'm hoping for an Outland type game as well.

Ilmyr

Not impressed or disappointed. The CGI trailer doesn't tell much about the game or its mechanics.

"Housemarque" remembers me of Supreme Snowboarding and Transworld Snowboarding, which i really liked.

When will we see a new Snowboard game again?

eFKac

The only impression I get, this is first big budget game from Housemarque.

It may be, but not necessarily. When you look at the Alienation announcement trailer from Gamescom 2014 it was also CGI at first and looked like an big budget action packed Space Marine TPS, then ended up like their usual thing.
Sure it might end up their biggest budget yet (Alienation probably is now) but not a big budget game.

Housemarque sure is in bed with Sony right now.

I wasn't really too fussed with the trailer tbh. In fact I completely forgot about it the moment it ended, but I guess I've developed an aversion to CGi trailers these days. I'm sure the actual gameplay footage will pique my interest.

When that guy got its "wings" it reminded me a bit of Zaitsev from Vanquish.

Vanquish-3-0003..jpg

Cripshay

Banned
They're pretty much Sony First Party lol, last game that was multiplat was Outland?
Have a feeling that IF Sony gets some new studios for their WWS, Housemarque will be the first.
Well their 'Jarvis Project', which is currently in development, is not a Sony game.

They're pretty much Sony First Party lol, last game that was multiplat was Outland?
Have a feeling that IF Sony gets some new studios for their WWS, Housemarque will be the first.

That's right, Outland was their last multiplat game. Wow, that was a long time ago. Sony must have struck some multi-game deal with them, just like they did with Quantic Dream and thatgamecompany.

hal9001

Banned
The game looks bad ass....Sony really impressed me with all these unique exclusives coming. I get a feeling they saved a lot from E3 for this conference because, imho, the Paris conference seemed better than E3 for Sony.

No way dude. E3 had the last guardian, FF7 remake and Shenmue 3. I wouldn't call that saving or holding back.

Wabba

Liked the trailer, but i dont really understand what this game is about. Is it in the same style as Housemarques previous games? Or is it regular third person action?

Lyonaz

Posts like this are always a bit shocking to me. The video is clearly CG and shows a level of visual fidelity not really in any game and the takeaway from that is still - Graphics look good

Yep baffles me too, why get excited about a CG trailer for a new IP, you don't know how the gameplay is and what it looks like. If it was a CG trailer for an established IP then that would be different.

Floody

That's right, Outland was their last multiplat game. Wow, that was a long time ago. Sony must have struck some multi-game deal with them, just like they did with Quantic Dream and thatgamecompany.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony signed them up for 3 games after Super Stardust was a success, but that'd ends with Alienation, so maybe Housemarque just like working with SCE.

Sooo is there like...gameplay somewhere ? Because i'm getting a more "nothing" vibe from a CG trailer from a vague sci-fi setting with robot gunman with jetpack here. Or am I missing something

Yeah, this. I'm not getting any vibe at all because they didn't show anything from the game.

Is that CG or in engine?

Looks insane.

When the trailer first started playing, considering the presenter mentioned impressive visuals in the run up, I was a bit disbelieving of the visuals I was seeing...When he started running about I knew for sure it was CG. Pretty disappointing they would debut with CG. Obviously they don't want to show it much before releasing Alienation...

Stealth50

Of the newly announced games yesterday, this was probably the one I got most excited about. If I had to take a guess what the gameplay would be like, I would say that it's a 2d side scroller shooter along the lines of what can be seen in these gifs:
KRYOkE.gif

vbOxRR.gif

Shin-Ra

Ok, so I missed this info last week and PlayStation.com lists genre as Platform / Shooter.

Key Features

Survive a unique combination of platforming and bullet hell action within a massively vertical futuristic city that is being overrun by the mysterious “Smart Matter”.

Manipulate “Smart Matter” to turn the environment to your advantage.

Master extreme aerial agility, sliding, leaping, and blasting to take down hordes of enemies.

Experiment with augmented weapons as you explore landmark locations known as the Domed City, Alien Ruins and The Space Elevator.

Engage in local co-op and competitive gameplay modes, comparing kills, scores and statistics against other players.

Yeah the look does remind of something like those 3D Mega Man tech demos.

Like others said back at the reveal even though I'm expecting it to be a 2.5D/3D side scroller like the person above who posted those gifs, since such a full 3D game like that would be so much more high budget than the type of stuff they do, I hope they'll show us for sure soon. Either way it looks good if it looks anything like this.

Man, the art looks so good. I hope they can replicate it well in the game.

Crocodile

Mega Man-esque game?

*Interest piqued*

*Sees no gameplay footage*

:/

So basically this thread is nothing.gif? Let me know when there's actual gameplay to talk about :/

GeoramA

Mega Man-esque game?

*Interest piqued*

*Sees no gameplay footage*

:/

So basically this thread is nothing.gif? Let me know when there's actual gameplay to talk about :/
They probably don't want to underwhelm with early footage, like Mighty .09 did.

Top Bottom