• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12 The Show cover athlete announced (Adrian Gonzalez), coming to Vita & PS3 March

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita

So is the first time they don't make The Show for PS2 and PSP too? if so it's weird that Sony stopped the support of the annual release sport games when EA/Konami/2K still do it with their sport games.

Takao

Banned
Totobeni said:
So is the first time they don't make The Show for PS2 and PSP too? if so it's weird that Sony stopped the support of the annual release sport games when EA/Konami/2K still do it with their sport games.

They'll probably still do PSP and PS2 skus, those just aren't what they want to show off.

BKK

Totobeni said:

It kind of implies that there will be other versions, but only PS3 & Vita "will have a ton of new features".

MLB 12 will have a ton of new features (PS3 & Vita)

Should've been Eric Hosmer on the cover.

Also, those screenshots look good. I'm glad they included Hanley in there so we can see those insane Marlins outfits in glorious 1080p.

Is that Mat Latos or Kevin Butler?

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...7349307/show-hands-preview?readmore=fullstory

Some Good stuff, finally collision everywhere and new ball physics

Freddy Sanchez just got spiked.

That's right, the Giants second baseman took the flip, touched the bag, but before he could rifle the ball to first and turn two, he was taken down by a hard-sliding Matt Kemp.

Just another chapter in the Dodgers/Giants rivalry, but a great day to be a gamer as Sony has finally added not only player collisions, but collision awareness in "MLB 12: The Show."

Amazing news for anyone who has followed the franchise, as we're not just talking about canned animations at the plate or when a player is breaking up a double play. It's all around the field, complete with all new tag and sliding animations, making gamers feel like the action on the virtual diamond is more real than ever as you will no longer see the random player-through-player ghost-like animations that have plagued the series for years. And since cyber athletes will not only collide, but be aware of the potential collisions, players react in a much more realistic manner, sliding around tags from all angles, dropping the ball more often when going for the sweep tag, and even giving the occasional spike when necessary.

One of the biggest improvements "Show" fans will notice right away is the improved ball physics. In past games, there wasn't the amount of hit variety you'd expect from a baseball simulation, and that had to do mainly with the fact that the game's math was off. So this offseason, one of the more hardcore members of "The Show's" engineering team took up the challenge and re-wrote the entire ball physics code based on the actual math for how a spinning object reacts when it strikes everything from the bat to the playing surface to one of the bases. The results? Incredible. The ball speed off the bat has now been increased to MLB levels, while the spin off each hit now comes into play more as you'll see grounders with top spin actually scoot through the infield faster for base hits. I even had one play where I launched a ball 400-feet towards the wall, and the computerized Matt Kemp jumped up to rob the home run, but as he hit the wall, the ball bounced off of his glove and rebounded back onto the field. It was just one of those plays that made everyone in the room shout, with the producers smiling at each other knowing how much a moment like that rocks.

Analog Zone hitting

But don't think this year is all about the mound as a new way to hit has also been added to the game, even if it's strictly for the hardcore. Sony calls it "Zone Analog Batting," and it combines what gamers loved about the old way to hit with the newer analog approach, as gamers manipulate the right stick to control stride and swing timing, while at the same time using your left stick to control where you swing in the zone.

And some bullet points additions

# 500+ new presentation animations

# 300+ new fielding, throwing, and base running animations

# 150+ new batting stances

# 75+ new pitching animations

# 14 new umpires complete with their own personalities

# 2 new training techniques in Road to the Show (base running, fielding), as you're now a Double-A starter who is the most touted prospect on the team
Add to that the addition of Season and Franchise mode in co-op, new pitcher confidence logic, and franchise improvements that include new contract logic, improved trade logic, and an all new free agent signing process, and you have the baseball game "Show" fans have been waiting for.

The only thing I'm disappointed about in the information was the cloud save feature PS3/Vita is you can't save from inning to inning, that would have been great. So I guess the first outing and having it available is cool.

CES 2012 Video's

GamerLiveTV
CES 2012: MLB 12 The Show Developer Preview Walkthrough Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YUSz6uNEU&feature=g-all-u&context=G2010d55FAAAAAAAAFAA

Move Gameplay explanation how to, but no visual evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn0dnNd2l0o&feature=g-like&context=G2d876ebALTw4HpwAAAA

MLB 12: The Show Hands On New Mode Revealed -CES 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXthzows_Xw&feature=g-hist&context=G2d908b3AHTw8uAQASAA

And some small glimpes of Vita gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhuVKhO3-eU

clemenx

Banned
I really enjoyed The PSP versions as I never got a PS3, even if they were really dumbed down in terms of features... Will get a Vita for sure at some point.

Looks really good.

Too bad they took out the TV Broadcast Feature though.

You will still get some TV Broadcast, just not all. Have you played the show on the PS3? if so true broadcast with all the cut scenes and OSD's can take you up to 1 1/2 hrs to play 1 game. It's great when you have the time, but on an handheld with battery life and commute to take into consideration. I'm willing to give them a pass especially when I can cloud save to the PS3.

friz898

I sure hope word gets out to everybody about just how much of an upgrade this is to any handheld baseball game before it.

newsguy

Umm... picking location on touchscreen alone makes this better than the console version for me. I hate doing it with the stick cause it's never precise enough.

PSN nation Podcast

1:51 mark about MLB 12 the Show 1st day at the Comm. Day its pretty long preview discussion

ALSO NO PEER TO PEER for ONLINE this year it will be DEDICATED SERVERS.

I Wasn't planning on buying a Vita, but I bought a Ps3 for the Show... so Im definitely considering this. #1 reason I don't play baseball games, especially the Show, is that it just takes too damn long. Having to play a 162 game season took an eternity, especially because the Show never quite matched what MVP 2003 had in terms of a simplified, quick manager mode.

So, if you can get through a game in 15 minutes on the Vita? I'd be all about that.

aBout the full game... still hoping for a way to quickly get through games. I hate to be one of those people who harps on MVP all the time, but in MVP, the manager mode allowed you to quickly and easily manage a game in about 3minutes. Simplified pitching options, simplified batting options, simplified base running, and managerial choices. MLB 2K has had a similar mode, but it's never gotten it quite right, putting in excessive features, but then dropping obvious ones, like not being able to make substitutions when you're batting, or warm up a pitcher while batting (which really ruined the managerial experience -- if you take a 9th inning lead, you couldn't warm up your closer to bring him in, and the forced warmups required you oto have to do that). In MLB The Show, they have the 'in game' manager mode, but that's just not helpful for a quick game, it takes just as long, but you just make managerial choices... Pitching around, pitching to, swing away, contact, aim, etc. It still took 45+ minutes to get through a game.

I'm dying for any game to implement MLB '04 / '05's manager mode which I considered the perfect balance between speed and some control functionality. MLB The Show is way overkill with their manager mode, which is basically like playing a game but without controlling players, and MLB 2K has a similar manager mode but it has always been riddled with problems, especially the pitcher management, which renders it almost useless.

Anyway, that's my rant.

Riggs

Banned
gluv65 I saw you mention they have add'd collision physics to the game. Are these physics more a long the lines of what we are now seeing in the NHL and Fifa games? I have not really seen any video showing this, been playing The Show ever since MVP stopped making games, collision physics are one of the things I have been wanting the most.

It's really annoying watching canned animations on home plate collisions and double play break ups, also running out a ground ball at first and watching the hitter just ghost through 1st basemen (or hard collide around him). Is there any video that I may have missed that shows off the new player physics?

PSN nation Podcast

1:51 mark about MLB 12 the Show 1st day at the Comm. Day its pretty long preview discussion

ALSO NO PEER TO PEER for ONLINE this year it will be DEDICATED SERVERS.

I find dedicated servers for a 1vs1 game really hard to believe.

Quick

Banned
I know there’s a lot of interest out there about our PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita integration this year so I wanted to make sure I touched on our Cross-Platform Saves functionality. This feature allows you to take your Franchise, Season, and Road to The Show save files up to the cloud where you can then access those files from either your PS3 or PS Vita. You are limited to one file per mode per PSN user account, which can be overwritten as many times as you’d like.

6768699289_e4b4cef733_z.jpg

jizz.gif

Cannot wait.

squall211

I bought The Show in 2007-2010 and skipped last year. Definitely getting the PS3 version, and will probably double dip for the Vita version if I pick one up at launch.

Top Bottom