• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition Director's Cut in development, and maybe another new game at E3

Neiteio

Wait, so is this a DP2 or a director's cut for DP like the thread title suggests? As a PS3 owner who watched a Let's Play of half of DP, I'd love to own the game. It's crazy.

sixghost

Directors Cut? Does that mean they'll cut out all the combat?

Hasn't SWERY said in a few interviews that he intended for there to be either much much less or no combat at all in the game? But he was rebuffed by a publisher or something. I love Deadly Premonition, but removing 95% of the combat would make the game much more enjoyable.
I actually just tried playing this for the first time last week.

What a god awful piece of shit. Seriously. The controls made Resident Evil 1 feel like CoD. The textures were so low res they gave me headaches. And nothing that went on in the story made any sense.

I'm now using it as a literal coaster. Yes, I set my drinks on Deadly Premonition when I play Mass Effect 3 this week. It's not even worth trading in for 50 cents or whatever pittance I'd get.

I read this in Chris Remo's nerd voice.

nyahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shawnlreed

I've never played it , but I watched both Giant Bomb ERs and really enjoyed what I saw.
I would buy a PS3 version of DP day 1 just to supprt Swery.

So, to get this correct, there's a Director's Cut edition of DP coming later this year to, at least, PS3 and DP2 is officially in (early?) development?

Grisby

I...think I might skip it and watch an endurance run or something unless the gameplay has improved dramatically.

God, the game was awful in the gameplay department. Fun main characters and there was some charm but damn, it took a lot to get through that game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, someone take me through this again:

Gamasutra said:
GDC 2012: Deadly Premonition follow-up, enhanced version teased
by Christian Nutt [Console/PC, GDC, Business]
March 8, 2012

GDC 2012: Deadly Premonition follow-up, enhanced version teased
In his GDC presentation on the Harvest Moon series, Deadly Premonition executive producer Yasuhiro Wada teased two new possible installments of the series in collaboration with its director, Swery.

While Wada spent the bulk of his talk reviewing the 16 year history of the farming franchise he created, he touched, on the end, on his future plans with his new company Toybox.

While working at Deadly Premonition's Japanese publisher, Marvelous Entertainment, Wada was the executive producer of the Xbox 360 cult hit. The game was developed by the Osaka-based Access Games and directed by Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro.

The original game came out on both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Japan, but, "We faced some challenges... We weren't able to release the full experience" that was intended, he said. Because of this, the game "was not released on the PS3 in the West."

Despite its weaknesses, he recognizes that the game has "developed a cult following."

He said he hopes to announce that this will change -- hinting at a new, enhanced version of the original game. "We're working on a PS3 release. We still have a few hurdles to overcome, but hopefully we'll be able to show you something at E3," said Wada.

He also said that at his new company, Toybox, he is working with Swery on a new title, and hopes to have news about that at E3, too. He strongly hinted that it would follow in the footsteps of Deadly Premonition without saying anything outright.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...remonition_sequel_enhanced_version_teased.php

So, the underlined and the bolded are the same thing or different things?

I always feel like I'm not in on this joke about DP.

The most unique lead character and one of the best stories in all of gaming? The "joke" is that some random japanese guy with no budget did those things better than studios that pride themselves on great stories and also have millions of dollars worth of budget.

LiK

Okay, someone take me through this again:

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...remonition_sequel_enhanced_version_teased.php

So, the underlined and the bolded are the same thing or different things?

that was an early article during the breaking tweets.

this is the most recent one from Bob Mackey:

https://twitter.com/#!/bobservo/status/177872516830863361

Talked to Wada personally; the Deadly Premonition news was about an enhanced PS3 remake (with new content), not a sequel. Don't kill me.

The most unique lead character and one of the best stories in all of gaming? The "joke" is that some random japanese guy with no budget did those things better than studios that pride themselves on great stories and also have millions of dollars worth of budget.

i dont know if he is unique. he is agent cooper of twin peaks. the game is twin peaks.

Whatever happens to new versions or new games I hope Ignition gets first pick. DP, along with El Shaddai, make them them the new Atlus of risky, awesome ventures.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
that was an early article during the breaking tweets.

this is the most recent one from Bob Mackey:

https://twitter.com/#!/bobservo/status/177872516830863361

Okay, but how about "He also said that at his new company, Toybox, he is working with Swery on a new title, and hopes to have news about that at E3, too. He strongly hinted that it would follow in the footsteps of Deadly Premonition without saying anything outright.".

Was that referring to a new game that's like DP, but not DP, or was it also referring to the DP Director's Cut edition?

If the PS3 director's cut is similar to Dead Rising 2 Off The Record, in that it contains several enhancements making the game less frustrating, and if it's $20, then I am totally buying this game.

LiK

Okay, but how about "He also said that at his new company, Toybox, he is working with Swery on a new title, and hopes to have news about that at E3, too. He strongly hinted that it would follow in the footsteps of Deadly Premonition without saying anything outright.".

Was that referring to a new game that's like DP, but not DP, or was it also referring to the DP Director's Cut edition?

no clue, hope there's an announcement soon.

If the PS3 director's cut is similar to Dead Rising 2 Off The Record, in that it contains several enhancements making the game less frustrating, and if it's $20, then I am totally buying this game.

The rumor going around last year was that the map, first and foremost, was being fixed.

sixghost

Awesome! Guess I'll just wait a bit and check out the DC instead of getting the vanilla any time soon.

If you don't need to import it for a ridiculous cost in order to play it, I'd suggest just playing it whenever you want, but just turn the difficulty down to easy. It's still a very enjoyable game in its current form, and who knows when this thing will ever come out.
So, sounds like DP DC is in development for, at least, PS3 and that new IP following in the footsteps of DP is planned, but not a sequel.

To be honest, I think this is the best possible outcome. Deadly Premonition was awesome, but I have no idea what they would do for a sequel. The final hour or two of the first game really shut the door on a lot of stuff. I think a game that's set in a similar universe with new characters would be best.

Cheech

some people get it, other people dont. dont bother replying with a list of reason why you understood it or we like it cause its hipster...you didnt get it.

This game objectively sucks. Not since MGS4 did I play something that just felt like getting punched in the junk repeatedly. And like MGS4, the only reason I played it as long as I did was to try to understand what in the hell I was missing.

That said, this game still fascinates me. There are very few games I don't "get", and this is one of them. I'm the world's biggest fan of games people hate like EDF 2017 and Shadowrun, so it's not like I'm a stranger to this dance.

Bebpo

Banned
I liked DP but never finished it (driving was sloooooow). A DC will make me give it another chance and hopefully finish it this time around.

Clevinger

This game objectively sucks. Not since MGS4 did I play something that just felt like getting punched in the junk repeatedly. And like MGS4, the only reason I played it as long as I did was to try to understand what in the hell I was missing.

That said, this game still fascinates me. There are very few games I don't "get", and this is one of them. I'm the world's biggest fan of games people hate like EDF 2017 and Shadowrun, so it's not like I'm a stranger to this dance.

There's nothing to get. You don't like it. We do. And plenty of people like EDF and Shadowrun. There's no big mystery there. Things click, or they don't.

klee123

Yeah Swery mentioned last year that he was working on a director's cut of the game. Can't wait.

I do hope though that the driving controls gets fixed though. I don't even mind the battle sequences, just fix the driving gameplay!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Joystiq reports Move support. Ugh.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/d...rt/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Deadly Premonition is being "remastered" and updated for PS3, by a team headed by Swery65, working in concert with the two-man Toybox studio. The new version, which will be further detailed at E3, will include new content, including new "scenarios" -- and support for the PlayStation Move. We're sure the whole thing will make much more sense with motion controls.

Top Bottom