• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

ESBL

My greedy self hopes the AirPods revision is as minor at they think. I don't want an excuse to buy another one of these!

The Airpods can't even be found regularly in retail stores, I think the revision is just software only because iOS 11 allows you to customize the tap feature on each of the Airpods.

Vuze

The Airpods can't even be found regularly in retail stores, I think the revision is just software only because iOS 11 allows you to customize the tap feature on each of the Airpods.
No, it has got the battery indicator of the case on the outside which led some people to believe the revision will add inductive charging.

Also sort of funny and sort of sad at the same time: Apple rejected a 3rd party developers app called "Animoji" which did feature animated emoji for the last year
https://twitter.com/rjonesy/status/906514114071146497

Dang, remember when Jobs used to send goons after people for potential leaks? Also, those emojis ALL look pervy.

hIdAFpW.png

DISGUSTING PERVERT

Sean

Banned
There likely won’t be any traditional form factor iPhones next year so of course they changes will make it to next year’s models. The question is whether Touch ID will make a return. If Face ID is as good as it’s been made out to be - and Apple seems to be pretty confident in it to have removed Touch ID altogether - then we might not.

I think that's being overly optimistic. I can't see Apple fully transitioning until they have multiple suppliers for each component (Samsung is their sole OLED supplier at the moment) and can absolutely guarantee they're able to produce 500 million iPhones a year or whatever.

I expect the traditional form factor to stick around until at least Fall 2019.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Animated emojis that can mimic your facial expressions via face scanning is kind of dope and could go a long way TBH.

Animated emojis that can mimic your facial expressions via face scanning is kind of dope and could go a long way TBH.

I wonder who will be the first to send a poop emoji that captures their face while jerking off.

They’ll be like the Neil Armstrong of 3D face-scanning masturbation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I can see it being like the stupid pulse sharing on Apple Watch. A gimmick used for controller on-stage demos but not that useful in real life. When you’re 'lolling' with an emoji you’re not usually actually lolling in real life. If people use this, they’ll be grimacing and overacting to their phone in front of confused commuters? And the output willl mostly just be an emoji tilting about a bit and maybe smiling.

DJ88

He/she asked if it's visible to all devices, not if you can send them from every iPhone.

Ah yeah, that would be right then.

With the insane popularity of Snapchat's lenses, I honestly see this being something a lot of people will really want. Don't know if they'll pay $1000 for it though.

I wonder if the iPhone Edition will also have a ProMotion display. TrueTone, ProMotion, *and* OLED would absolutely get me to upgrade even if I’m skeptical of FaceID and think these animoji are a silly feature that Apple isn’t gonna stick with.

Erebus

Ah yeah, that would be right then.

With the insane popularity of Snapchat's lenses, I honestly see this being something a lot of people will really want. Don't know if they'll pay $1000 for it though.
Live photos were visible to all iOS devices even those that couldn't capture them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can see it being like the stupid pulse sharing on Apple Watch. A gimmick used for controller on-stage demos but not that useful in real life. When you're 'lolling' with an emoji you're not usually actually lolling in real life. If people use this, they'll be grimacing and overacting to their phone in front of confused commuters? And the output willl mostly just be an emoji tilting about a bit and maybe smiling.
I feel like the exact opposite. This will be a big thing for iMessage.

Look at how the snapchat and instagram dog filters have blown up. It's cutesy, and I can see young kids (especially girls), instead of sending canned emojis, sending their girls a "dafuq" face as their favourite animal, etc. People do that shit in public already and will for this whether they're in front of commuters or just chilling at home.

I'm quite excited to see how they execute Face ID. Like Touch ID, I think it has huge potential and applications beyond iPhones. For instance it would be really cool to see it built into their Macs and iPads. It would be nice to just sit in-front of my computer and it to automatically log into my user area. Likewise when I am cooking using my iPad for recipes, it would be cool for it to automatically wake when I glance at it, to allow me to be handsfree.

Also, I had a chance to play with the updated iPad Pros today. The Pro Motion looked pretty slick in person. I imagine the jump to an OLED, True Tone, Pro Motion screen from my existing phone is going to be pretty huge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel like the exact opposite. This will be a big thing for iMessage.

Look at how the snapchat and instagram dog filters have blown up. It's cutesy, and I can see young kids (especially girls), instead of sending canned emojis, sending their girls a "dafuq" face as their favourite animal, etc. People do that shit in public already and will for this whether they're in front of commuters or just chilling at home.

you’re probably right. And are iMessage 'plugins' or whatever the hell theyre called popular too?

I'll start looking for a nice cloud to shout at.

For faceID I am a little worried Apple with blind with magic and science - ooh look at this AR with the magic camera; ahh look at the cute poop animoji. And oh hey you can unlock your phone too. The reality might still be less fast/reliable than touchID but people will be distracted long enough until they don’t care anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you're probably right. And are iMessage 'plugins' or whatever the hell theyre called popular too?

I'll start looking for a nice cloud to shout at.
I don't know how popular iMessage apps are, but I thought those were relatively more gimmicky to begin with. Still, a lot of people use them to send custom emojis and whatnot, the same way GIF keyboards have become so popular.

I think this will be built-in, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, seems like, yeah, this face scanning tech will be probably a lot more nuanced than what the competitors use. Maybe not 2 years ahead, but I also imagine via natural movement it can probably deduce when things like glasses are portruding from your face and negate those types of things. Well, they better, because I wear glasses.

screen-shot-2017-09-09-at-08-03-43.jpg

I'm quite excited to see how they execute Face ID. Like Touch ID, I think it has huge potential and applications beyond iPhones. For instance it would be really cool to see it built into their Macs and iPads. It would be nice to just sit in-front of my computer and it to automatically log into my user area. Likewise when I am cooking using my iPad for recipes, it would be cool for it to automatically wake when I glance at it, to allow me to be handsfree.
I do think that attention-detection could be really useful for a lot of purposes but also, fucking absolutely, needs to be withheld from third-party apps and/or Apple needs to reject all apps that use attention detection to force you to watch ads.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Attention is detected when you are looking at the screen. When attention is detected, iPhone does not dim the display.

This is super dope but I always wonder if these things actually use more power than they saved.

The new large overlay for using while in a call etc. seems obnoxiously big though.

Neat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also, seems like, yeah, this face scanning tech will be probably a lot more nuanced than what the competitors use. Maybe not 2 years ahead, but I also imagine via natural movement it can probably deduce when things like glasses are portruding from your face and negate those types of things. Well, they better, because I wear glasses.

screen-shot-2017-09-09-at-08-03-43.jpg

Likely only one face scanned if it takes a lot of data points? One of the things we do at home is have one finger of our partner registered on our phones so they can easily unlock it to check something. Might not be feasible with this new system

I do think that attention-detection could be really useful for a lot of purposes but also, fucking absolutely, needs to be withheld from third-party apps and/or Apple needs to reject all apps that use attention detection to force you to watch ads.

Absolutely yeah.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Iphone 8 makes sense with new physical designs. Iphone X gives the the chance to have a 'one off' celebration design/jump forward in tech/wallet buster, and then next year roll it back into the main model line with Iphone 9. Or entirely reinvent the naming from next year.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Likely only one face scanned if it takes a lot of data points? One of the things we do at home is have one finger of our partner registered on our phones so they can easily unlock it to check something. Might not be feasible with this new system
I just use the pin or my wife's phone. That is still an option.

snap

Banned
so y'all are distracted by the emoji--the TrueTone stuff is extremely interesting to me.

So they're trying to pitch this screen as just as high quality as the past iPhone displays, if not higher quality because of the TrueTone optimization. Here's the thing, though, it's an LG OLED. LG hasn't made very many phone-sized OLEDs; they made a few for the LG G Flex and LG G Flex 2 that were reportedly very low quality. Now that they're producing more for the iPhone, they're also putting them in the new LG V30, their upcoming flagship. Here's the thing though, they're still shit quality:

The left is a LG V30 trying to display a solid gray picture; the right is a Galaxy S8 displaying the same photo. You can right off the bat see a few things: LG's phone is uneven, you can see the banding and "texture" that people noticed on the LG G Flexes, and for its part you can see the red display issue on the S8 (where S8s skew red instead of being completely calibrated like past Samsungs were). You can also see a little bit of unevenness on the Samsung, but it's very slight and not completely noticeable.

So the question becomes: did LG manage to produce OLEDs that are good enough, but all of them went to Apple so LG had to make do with the dregs for their own phone? Or are all LG OLEDs like this and Apple just said "fuck it" because Apple needed OLEDs and they didn't want to crawl over to Samsung? I think this will be very interesting to look at once the phone is revealed.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
so y'all are distracted by the emoji--the TrueTone stuff is extremely interesting to me.

So they're trying to pitch this screen as just as high quality as the past iPhone displays, if not higher quality because of the TrueTone optimization. Here's the thing, though, it's an LG OLED. LG hasn't made very many phone-sized OLEDs; they made a few for the LG G Flex and LG G Flex 2 that were reportedly very low quality. Now that they're producing more for the iPhone, they're also putting them in the new LG V30, their upcoming flagship. Here's the thing though, they're still shit quality:

The left is a LG V30 trying to display a solid gray picture; the right is a Galaxy S8 displaying the same photo. You can right off the bat see a few things: LG's phone is uneven, you can see the banding and "texture" that people noticed on the LG G Flexes, and for its part you can see the red display issue on the S8 (where S8s skew red instead of being completely calibrated like past Samsungs were). You can also see a little bit of unevenness on the Samsung, but it's very slight and not completely noticeable.

So the question becomes: did LG manage to produce OLEDs that are good enough, but all of them went to Apple so LG had to make do with the dregs for their own phone? Or are all LG OLEDs like this and Apple just said "fuck it" because Apple needed OLEDs and they didn't want to crawl over to Samsung? I think this will be very interesting to look at once the phone is revealed.
Samsung is making this years OLEDs. Apple is working with LG to get them up to par over the next two years so they can diversify suppliers. They wouldn't put that LG display in the 1000$ iPhone as is. Period.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How did emojis and animojis become a thing again? It's like we're in the MSN messenger days.
Apple invented them.
Shigetaka Kurita invented them in 1999. Japan popularized them. Apple helped make them more widespread. (Until iOS and other Ones supported them, they were limited to third party apps and only supported in those apps. Apple, Microsoft, Google and other companies helped make them a bigger feature.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
will wait for jailbreak tweaks so I can scan and send peaches and eggplants 💦💦💦

snap

Banned
Samsung is making this years OLEDs. Apple is working with LG to get them up to par over the next two years so they can diversify suppliers. They wouldn't put that LG display in the 1000$ iPhone as is. Period.

Hmm, I'm misinformed then. Thought the reason they hadn't switched to OLED before was because they were waiting for LG to get better at it and that the rumors were saying this year's iPhone was an LG OLED.

Guess Who

Banned

All the rumors I’ve heard say Apple is using Samsung OLEDs.

TimFL

Last time I checked they invested in LG to be a future OLED supplier. The iPhone X OLED panels are exclusively done by Samsung afaik.

A quick google search only brings up "plans on using LG OLED" or "invests in LG OLED for 2019 iPhones".

Shigetaka Kurita invented them in 1999. Japan popularized them. Apple helped make them more widespread. (Until iOS and other Ones supported them, they were limited to third party apps and only supported in those apps. Apple, Microsoft, Google and other companies helped make them a bigger feature.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

I think Waffles was trying to make one of those Apple jokes about how they “invent” everything.

Top Bottom