• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie confirms there are no more first party Wii U games coming after Zelda: BotW

3020118-5562455887-artic.jpg

There's still a bunch of kickstarters with Wii U stretch goals that are gonna release guys. They'll definitely see those releases through, they promised!

maxcriden

Twilight Princess was Nintendo's notable last GameCube game.

Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last notable Wii game.

And now Breath of the Wild will be Nintendo's last notable Wii U game.

I was curious if this was true. For GCN and Wii U you're absolutely right. For some reason I thought there were more GCN games after Wii released but evidently not. But with Wii, they definitely released some notable games after Skyward Sword:

Fortune Street Square Enix Nintendo 2009-10-06NA ✔ 2011 ✔ 2011 Unreleased ✔ December 3, 2011
Rhythm Heaven Fever
•Beat the Beat: Rhythm ParadisePAL
•Minna no Rhythm TengokuJP Nintendo Nintendo 2011-07-21JP ✔ July 21, 2011 ✔ July 6, 2012 Unreleased ✔ February 15, 2012
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond Creatures Inc. Nintendo 2013-08-18NA ✔ November 12, 2011 ✔ March 23, 2012 ✔ March 29, 2012 ✔ February 27, 2012
Mario Party 9 Nd Cube Co., Ltd. Nintendo 2012-03-02EU ✔ April 26, 2012 ✔ March 2, 2012 ✔ March 8, 2012 ✔ March 11, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles
•XenobladeJP Monolith Soft Nintendo 2010-06-10JP ✔ June 10, 2010 ✔ August 19, 2011 ✔ September 1, 2011 ✔ April 6, 2012
Pikmin 2 (New Play Control!) Nintendo Nintendo 2009-03-12JP ✔ March 12, 2009 ✔ April 24, 2009 ✔ May 14, 2009 ✔ June 9, 2012
Kirby's Dream Collection
•Hoshi no Kirby: 20-Shuunen Special CollectionJP HAL Laboratory Nintendo 2012-07-19NA ✔ July 19, 2012 Unreleased Unreleased ✔ September 16, 2012
Pandora's Tower Ganbarion Nintendo 2011-05-26JP ✔ May 26, 2011 ✔ April 13, 2013 Unreleased ✔ April 15, 2013
The Last Story Mistwalker, AQ Interactive Nintendo, Xseed GamesNA

Just a rough list from Wiki. Of course, of these, only MP9 and Kirby's Dream Collection released in Japan after Zelda. So the list is mostly games that got localized after Zelda but had already been released in Japan. But I think both count as notable releases, especially MP9 as a brand new game.

maxcriden

No shit?

Can't believe Metroid skipped a major console.

Besides the N64 mentions, I just want to mention that Nintendo Land features an extensive, fully featured Metroid Blast co-op attraction with 30 stages each with their own challenge condition. Like most of the rest of Nintendo Land, it's a love letter to the franchise in question.

AdanVC

So what happened to that Project Robot experiment game by Miyamoto that was supposed to come to Wii U?? It was listed on the upcoming games list for Wii U on the last Investors meeting in October... Lies, tell me sweet little lies..

mrmickfran

I was curious if this was true. For GCN and Wii U you're absolutely right. For some reason I thought there were more GCN games after Wii released but evidently not. But with Wii, they definitely released some notable games after Skyward Sword:

Fortune Street Square Enix Nintendo 2009-10-06NA ✔ 2011 ✔ 2011 Unreleased ✔ December 3, 2011
Rhythm Heaven Fever
•Beat the Beat: Rhythm ParadisePAL
•Minna no Rhythm TengokuJP Nintendo Nintendo 2011-07-21JP ✔ July 21, 2011 ✔ July 6, 2012 Unreleased ✔ February 15, 2012
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond Creatures Inc. Nintendo 2013-08-18NA ✔ November 12, 2011 ✔ March 23, 2012 ✔ March 29, 2012 ✔ February 27, 2012
Mario Party 9 Nd Cube Co., Ltd. Nintendo 2012-03-02EU ✔ April 26, 2012 ✔ March 2, 2012 ✔ March 8, 2012 ✔ March 11, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles
•XenobladeJP Monolith Soft Nintendo 2010-06-10JP ✔ June 10, 2010 ✔ August 19, 2011 ✔ September 1, 2011 ✔ April 6, 2012
Pikmin 2 (New Play Control!) Nintendo Nintendo 2009-03-12JP ✔ March 12, 2009 ✔ April 24, 2009 ✔ May 14, 2009 ✔ June 9, 2012
Kirby's Dream Collection
•Hoshi no Kirby: 20-Shuunen Special CollectionJP HAL Laboratory Nintendo 2012-07-19NA ✔ July 19, 2012 Unreleased Unreleased ✔ September 16, 2012
Pandora's Tower Ganbarion Nintendo 2011-05-26JP ✔ May 26, 2011 ✔ April 13, 2013 Unreleased ✔ April 15, 2013
The Last Story Mistwalker, AQ Interactive Nintendo, Xseed GamesNA

Just a rough list from Wiki. Of course, of these, only MP9 and Kirby's Dream Collection released in Japan after Zelda. So the list is mostly games that got localized after Zelda but had already been released in Japan. But I think both count as notable releases, especially MP9 as a brand new game.
I didn't count any games like Xenoblade or The Last Story because they were already released elsewhere. As for Fortune Street and Mario Party 9, I forgot those existed :p

In my defense, I did say notable :p

Ridley327

So what happened to that Project Robot experiment game by Miyamoto that was supposed to come to Wii U?? It was listed on the upcoming games list for Wii U on the last Investors meeting in October... Lies, tell me sweet little lies..

Since this is Nintendo, it's probably on the backburner until it mysteriously reappears after 5 years in a somewhat different form while keeping to some of the same fundamentals. There was, what, seven years between the time Steel Diver was first demonstrated as a DS tech demo to its release on the 3DS? It'll be like that.

Dystify

I mentioned that in the OP. Miyamoto said they have not decided to turn it into a full game (back in March 2016). Maybe we'll see it as smaller title or part of another game some day. Switch could definitely handle the control scheme of it.

I dont get it, whats creating the thumps? Why is the comic showing Gamecubes face in white like that? Whats it trying to say happened?

I don't see what's so hard to get. The thumps obviously represents the GCN's heart rate, which slows down as he dies and goes into heaven. The comic is obviously a metaphor on the Gamecube dying off with the arrival of the Wii.

AdanVC

Since this is Nintendo, it's probably on the backburner until it mysteriously reappears after 5 years in a somewhat different form while keeping to some of the same fundamentals. There was, what, seven years between the time Steel Diver was first demonstrated as a DS tech demo to its release on the 3DS? It'll be like that.

I mentioned that in the OP. Miyamoto said they have not decided to turn it into a full game (back in March 2016). Maybe we'll see it as smaller title or part of another game some day. Switch could definitely handle the control scheme of it.

Yeah perhaps the project definitely got on stand by mode and it will appear for the Switch once the console has stablished and gained a healthy user base in a few years. Now that I think about it, this project robot game could work even better on the Switch thanks to the HD rumble and improved motion controls on the Joy-Cons since you can move each one independently.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
In all considerations I feel like Wii U has had worst support than Vita.

maxcriden

I didn't count any games like Xenoblade or The Last Story because they were already released elsewhere. As for Fortune Street and Mario Party 9, I forgot those existed :p

In my defense, I did say notable :p

Oh, I wasn't trying to correct you, I was just curious for nerdy reasons if it was accurate. :)

I do think Mario Party 9 counts as notable, though, and maybe Dream Collection also though that one's murkier as a collection.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Really? Sony straight up stopped releasing software from themselves for it after 3-ish years. It didn't get the dignity of stopping on a major release comparable to Zelda, either.

But they put a lot of effort in bringing indies and other minor games to the console.
Vita has a lot more games than the Wii U.

Wii U has a great catalogue of games, and I'll be hanging omtoine for a bit while I wrap those up, but I'm pleased they're putting their focus on the new console.

Good point. Maybe until MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 hit the stores? Or when the paywall is raised on Switch?

I don't see them doing that forever either. 2017 will also be the year to shut down their servers for WiiU.

I think until pay wall, would explain this weird 'free period' for a few months..

Yagami_Sama

Expected.

To tell the truth, I am surprised that they New Zelda will be released. I was considering the option that they would cancel the Wii U version or the game be available only on e-shop and 20 retails copies exclusive to some store.

Cepheus

Thought as much. I called this a while ago but that's not that impressive because I'm pretty sure everyone called it. All-in on the Switch from here on out.

Also, watch them close down the Wii U online servers late 2017/early 2018 to try and make more people buy the Switch. Some of the people who play MK/Splatoon on the Wii U probably won't see the point in getting the Switch because of the similar games being released but with paid online so I can see them shutting the servers down to force them to upgrade.

To tell the truth, I am surprised that they New Zelda will be released. I was considering the option that they would cancel the Wii U version or the game be available only on e-shop and 20 retails copies exclusive to some store.

Same. I thought that the Wii U version would have been canned, but I guess not.

I think the wait on when the paywall comes to switch is for Mario kart and splatoon also Mario maker. Maker has a good presence in twitch and it's really fun to watch. They can't just stop all that fun and streaming that goes on. When the switch has got a few months behind it and Mario kart and spaltoon have "switched" over that's when the server comes down for the old games and there will be enough streamers and players who have gotten the switch that no one will notice really.

RIP

I really expected the wii u version to be canceled , Nintendo fans would have still bought a switch day one had it been canceled , I would have if the wii u version was dead

Fox_Mulder

That still makes your comment about Wii U support being worse "in all considerations" patently false.

"in all considerations" because I consider ALL the games, not only first party.

levyjl1988

Banned
Fantastic. Now all Nintendo has to do is port all the Wii U titles on the Switch and we're good.

It seems though that with the Wii U's demise games from them are being ported to the 3DS with limitations ie) Poochi and Yoshi's Wooley World and Super Mario Maker.

Switch is porting Mario Kart 8 with its deluxe version and most likely a complete Super Smash Bros version.

Top Bottom