• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

That seems really low for Pro but the holiday discounts on the slim I'm sure ate into it. Will be pretty interesting to see what the ratio is moving forward now.

daxgame

Romance of the two kingdoms.

Sorry Nintendo.

Well, Nintendo's stopped production... I think whatever was left has been sold for the most part

Wii_U_rain_window.jpg

Farewell

Abdiel

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the pro numbers. Myself and even our npd gent mat were commenting on this being not at all the season where you'd expect it to sell. It's almost amusing to see, really. Fits well within my expectations.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the pro numbers. Myself and even our npd gent mat were commenting on this being not at all the season where you'd expect it to sell. It's almost amusing to see, really. Fits well within my expectations.

Did other games and title hit your expectations this season?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm kind of surprised at how low the Pro ratio is. Was the thing not widely available, or were people just uninterested?

Probably both.

Xbox S made the Xbox more attractive and PS4 Pro just took the place of many sales that would have gone to PS4 anyways

The people actually upgrading from a PS4 seems to be minimal compared to new users

Ricky_R

Scorpio might actually be advertised.

Yeah, Sony had their plate full with the slim, VR and the Pro. MS will surely put a considerable amount of money behind the Scorpio and their plate seems pretty empty in comparison.

Price will be key though since people will be expecting even cheaper consoles by then and if Sony answers with a price drop of their own to the Slim, or even the Pro, then the thing might not sell too well.

Nictel

Post-E3?

Etzer

I'm more surprised at both consoles being so close than the Pro not account for more of the PS4 total. With the great deals we've seen for the Slim, I don't think people were willing to pay upwards of $150 more for 4K.

Yep. We've run this meme into the ground in record fashion.

Interesting to see the breakdown between pro's and slim's. That said, the slim had absurdly good bundles and deals all month.

What is this meme?

I'm kind of surprised at how low the Pro ratio is. Was the thing not widely available, or were people just uninterested?
Supply has been plentiful. The value argument is poor. People want the capability to play games over the premium experience. If that trend holds the Switch should do very well.

Yep a good set of sales GAF was going with 10% to 20% for the PRO.
Might be a little higher in the upcoming months .

Interfectum

Pro gonna be a slow burn until the price drops and it starts getting bundles. Eventually it'll just replace the PS4 as the default.

Kyoufu

Pro was always going to be second fiddle to the cheaper Slim model, which even had an official bundle in the holiday. How is anyone surprised?

pswii60

Christmas buyers and great deals and bundles on the Slim, Pro is hardcore, commands a price premium and not even advertised at all.

I'd expect Pro will become the standard PS4 in time though, or Pro Slim.

Unknown?

I'm actually impressed with how well the Pro did! It was $200 more when you add in bonus games on top of the Slim. December is all about price and given it was sold out on Amazon for awhile that's good.

Can we take the Pro sales as indication of how Scorpio might perform?
Very much so. The two are offering similar value proposals and upgrade path for an excited and entrenched audience.

Without an exclusive library or exclusive software support going forward, the market is not going to react to these mid-gen upgrades with any form of higher excitement. Premium cost for a price of entry to a software generation that will be 3 or 4 years old when Scorpio launches just won't drive consumers to the register.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The thing that sticks out to me though is that last generation, people were overwhelmingly skewing toward the larger hard drive (or in the 360's case, present hard drive) early in the generation, and that was also a big price difference.

I can get why that might seem more compelling than the hardware upgrades though.

Why would windows central release information that shows a Microsoft product losing to Sony in its strongest region?

I said this in the other thread that why would a Microsoft website release numbers from it's competitor? That's a first that I've seen. It's almost like they were proud of being this close.

gamz

I think it was a huge mistake for the Pro not to have a UHD player. I'm sure the One S took some of those sales away.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm not convinced of that. There are a lot of lessons MS can learn from the PRO to have a better result.

There are just a limited amount of people who care about power and better graphics over a cheap price, especially when it comes to the same games. Xbox One S gave Xbox far more of a boost than Scorpio will

So whats this Scorpio meme? Can someone please explain.

I think Sony kinda blew it letting MS gain such a massive share in the u.s market. i dont know if it's the lousy exclusive line up they have had this gen or the fact that americans love their xbox, but it should've never been this close.

Considering last gen, this is actually a complete loss for MS barely holding ground. THey outsold Sony 22 months in a row at one point last gen.

Top Bottom