• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want exclusives for Scorpio?

KillLaCam

Banned
I don't have an X1 but no (atleast not for a while). Kinda seems unfair to the people who cant afford an upgrade and expected at least an average console lifespan. But the base X1 shouldnt be going on as long as last gen did.

They should just do like people wanted the PS Pro to do (Kinda like tomb raider did) and include multiple options instead of just upscaled 4k or supersampling and actually allow fps increases in at least some games/ modes.

Like for something like Gears of War allow 60fps or at least an uncapped framerate in Story, CO-OP and VS AI modes and then whatever the OG xbox does for PvP modes. I feel like they wouldn't have an issue doing something like this because they allow PCs to play with consoles on the CO-OP and AI modes.

I would be ok with it, but I think it would be a poor business decision to have more than a couple of them. In general, treating it as an extension of the XBO platform is the correct decision from a sales and marketing perspective.

Raide

At launch, it makes more sense to roll the Xbox One and Scorpio together. 12 months down the line, when Halo is announced, it should be exclusive. The big hitters should be able to shift people to a next gen console.

The way MS are heading, at least Xbox One users will be able use their stuff on Scorpio, so the pain of upgrading and potentially loosing your back catalogue is not there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS would never be able to support exclusives outside of the ones they cultivate or pay for, which they have a big enough problem doing now on XB1.

Sony isn't going to move to next gen for a while, so acting like MS is going to destroy their 'generationless' approach with infinite forwards compatibility makes no sense to me when the industry itself is perfectly fine with the current level of rendering and design technology

MilkyJoe

You can currently buy the same game on xbone as you can on PC, the latter looking much better. Why do you need exclusives on Scorpio?

scoobs

It would be nice to have a couple of games to show off the true power of the system, but it would be supremely stupid of MS to do such a thing.

From a purely business perspective it would be throwing money away... "well we could sell this game to a customer base of 35 million + the PC market, or we could sell it to an install base of the 500,000 Scorpios we'll sell this holiday season."

There's no way they'd do this.

Jumeira

Banned
A few exclusives tailored for Scorpio would be good for the system so yes. Who wouldn't want a machine to be fully utlized? Share with PC as I don't see them as competing with each other (not does MS)

FingerBang

There won't be exclusives because Scorpio is part of the UWP family and Microsoft is basically making it an Xbox One compatible Windows PC.

At least that's my idea of PS (Project Scorpio). I wouldn't be surprised if by next year all Xbox One games will be UWP games. That would mean that all Xbox games would be available on PC... or at least would raise the chance of that happening.

I am not against it, I think it's a win win for both Xbox and PC gamers. But I will not buy it, because PC.

Leyasu

Banned
For 1st party, I would like them to have other studios do the port so they can concentrate 100% on the Scorpio version

Nozem

Sure, it would be fun to see what the machine is capable of.

It would be a terrible business decision though.

I would be ok with it, but I think it would be a poor business decision to have more than a couple of them. In general, treating it as an extension of the XBO platform is the correct decision from a sales and marketing perspective.
I disagree on the idea overall.

It depends on too many factors. An extension could look negative too. It's a fine line.

If they go all out with a look that is really next level. New os, faster and a with a good easy to see leap

. Well. That was 360 and it worked. But maybe they can't, maybe they can. One wasn't exactly blowing it out of the water to begin with. People weren't that impressed with ps4 but games like horizon are showing promise. Time. Tech and knowledge could make Scorpio exclucive games have the leap.. Maybe.

It isn't that this is wrong as you.say it just all depends how it's done. Both ways can fail or do well.

MysteryM

Would I like games that push the scorpio as hard as possible? yes.

I also have two xbox one's that we use for online gears multiplayer. It would be great to be able to play gears 4 on multiple xbox one consoles.

Given a choice though, just give me exclusives.

I think they'll keep XB1 going until the Scorpio successor comes out, then Scorpio will be in the same shoes as Scorpio II

This means Scorpio users would have to stick to XBOX One games for at the very least 3 years.

Furthermore, once that's the case, they'll probably have to launch a cost-optimized Slim Scorpio, as the current one probably isn't suited to be sold for less than $250 at some point. And as we all know you really need a cheap entry-level SKU, which does support all the latest games.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Not right away, no. But if Microsoft is serious about blurring the lines between console generations, I would hope the original Xbox One would be dropped eventually. However, I don't expect those games to be exclusive to Scorpio, since I expect it would happen once at least the next revision is out (two or three boxes supported at all times).

I think there is a chance Scorpio could get some exclusives for a year or two if PS5 releases, Microsoft's ability to compete is limited by the Xbox One, and the next revision isn't ready. I'd be fine with that.

RowdyReverb

No and I don't expect them. Scorpio is a mid-generation upgrade of Xbox One, not a next generation console.
By this logic, each successor to Scorpio will still be "mid-generation upgrades" to the Xbox One since MS is abandoning generations

MS has trouble getting enough exclusive games for Xbone, you want them to split what little they have in 2?
They wouldn't make any games for one in that situation of exclusives. Or just a few

Anything is possible right now but seems no one knows. Seems there would be more rumors that are typical for ms.

But this statement is being over used

Dragun619

No. No one gets left behind.

That's the message MS put out when they announced Xbox One S and Xbox One Scorpio on the same stage.

You can choose either option and you'll still have the same selection of titles to choose from.

Unless it's like a VR title, Cutting off 26 million XB1 owners with exclusives for a Premium priced Upgraded Xbox seems like terrible idea, especially if we're talking like a Halo, Forza or, Gears of War scorpio exclusive.

amar212

No and I don't expect them. Scorpio is a mid-generation upgrade of Xbox One, not a next generation console.

I never got that impression. Despite "hints" and whatnot, I see Scorpio as an full-blown next Xbox console, not "midgen upgrade".

Also, there will be some cross-gen titles, but they will fade soon. I do not see MS implementing same "mandatory on both" logic as Sony. Also, I expect that some titles announced as possible XBOne titles will be Scorpio-only (looking at you Crackdown).

Time will tell.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't think it'll have exclusives at first but once the PS5 comes out in 2019 or so then I wouldn't blame them if they ditched XB1 support (it will be 6 year old in 2019) and started releasing games only for Scorpio.

Once the PS5 releases it will make the Scorpio look weak and they will need to squeeze every last bit of performance out it until they can get a new console out. I don't see them ditching the Scorpio after just 2 years so earliest would be 2020 I think for a true next gen Xbox.

Head.spawn

I really see how dropping XBO support and having exclusives would make any difference at all and I've yet to hear a compelling reason for it.

Outside of VR for technical reasons.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I want exclusives.And i want ms uses the scorpio like a new generation of the xbox family being backward compatiblity with the xbox one but with his own exclusives games and not being injured with the xbox one brand.

A new generation not a continuation of the xbox one.

What if the Scorpio is a VR centric console. Make sense since it's powerful and Microsoft need to do something different to play catch up with Sony. Maybe they have a bunch of VR games in the making

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Nah.

I have two Xboxes in the house and that works really well for me. I plan to buy Scorpio, but I'd rather not have to buy two to have the same set up.

firelogic

Based on the proposed specs, it doesn't look like a mid-gen upgrade. The PS4 Pro is a mid-gen upgrade that does things slightly better. The Scorpio is a beast of a machine. It handily outdoes the specs of the PS4 Pro.

People continue to stunningly fail to realize just how scale-able game engines are these days. The games will be much better on Scorpio anyway, that's the main thing. What's it matter if it's playable elsewhere?

Plus VR will differentiate the platform enough. I only hope they have something decent cooking. Oculus seems the safe bet but that's hardly great. I wish they would make / support a new headset which will also be good enough to last net gen too.

Edit - The only way it happens is a couple of years down the road and if the Scorpio becomes the main selling SKU. But that's a long shot.

At launch, it makes more sense to roll the Xbox One and Scorpio together. 12 months down the line, when Halo is announced, it should be exclusive. The big hitters should be able to shift people to a next gen console.

The way MS are heading, at least Xbox One users will be able use their stuff on Scorpio, so the pain of upgrading and potentially loosing your back catalogue is not there.

Halo is being announced at this E3, and it is an X1 game. Scorpio will not have non-VR exclusive games, nor is Scorpio expected to take off better than the X1 did.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Straightforward question: Do you want exclusives for Scorpio that won't be available on Xbox One or would you rather end console generations and have all future games compatible with existing Xbox One consoles?

As of right now we are under the belief that there won't be exclusives for Scorpio, but do you really want that? Do you think that's the best idea for Xbox fans going forward? Does it make sense financially for Microsoft to do this? etc. There are pros/cons to consider here. You know the music, time to dance.

Do you want them to piss off the Xbox userbase again?

I just don't see a point to having the Scorpio exist without exclusives. Like why even make a more powerful console? The One S literally serves the purpose that most everyone in this thread seem to say the Scorpio will serve. Without exclusives no one is going to buy it. MS would benefit from getting away from this gen immediately. i don't buy into that decision making all the previous xbox one owners mad, but that's just me apparently. I don't see mid-gen consoles outside of the typical slimmer model or we introduced a 4k blu ray player having an appeal for the price if it isn't a full fledged new console. I guess we will see.

Rookhelm

Scorpio is not "Xbox Two", or "Xbox Next", or "Xbox 720", whatever the next actual console will be, and probably shouldn't be treated as such. Leave things like exclusives and brand new features to the next gen Xbox.

Scorpio is just a hardware iteration, and I think we need to keep that into perspective.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hell yes I do, and I expect they are coming..probably not till 2019 though.

Journey

Banned

First post nails it again.

Me being selfish, sure, if it takes full advantage of Scorpio's capabilities where there's no way of scaling to other platforms, but lets be real, games today are designed for the high end PC with high scalability, there's no reason for it to be; games can be multiplat yet at the same time shine on Scorpio just as other games shine on PC.

ironcreed

Banned
At this point it would not really bother me if it did. It would be kind of neat, actually. I'm just glad that I will be able to take all of my Xbox One and many 360 games with me. That is the huge win here in my book. Might as well add more incentive to the deal and use the hardware.

Ushay

It's at least 5x more powerful and it's not a generation shift? I think a lot of people are either confused or don't realise MS will be using this device to 'bridge' the gap in generations.

Bank on it.

Top Bottom