• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

I don't know, does it?

DCNp4mZVwAMpHfO.jpg
Even mkx on iPhone looks better than this.

Sayad

Not that I doubt Ono, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Especially considering that if "Ono's gonna fix the graphics," you'd think that it would have been done already (or at the very least, have it ready for E3 so that it doesn't leave such a bad taste in people's mouths like it did).

Ono isn't the one you should be doubting there. :D

I think it's the art direction more than anything. Game can be low budget and look better than that. And it's chromatic aberration or something on top of the ugly art style that makes it look even worse.

I didn't know people thought MvC3 is ugly. I like the look of that game a lot

DR2K

Banned
Like everything they've been pumping out. It definitely looks low budget.

From SFV to Resident Evil 7, this just looks offensively low budget.

Aselith

Probably a mix of low budget and lack of time.

Weird, since you would think Marvel would give them a pretty good check to do this with, but I guess not.

The gameplay better be good because I doubt they can turn around and make the game not look like crap before it releases. I guess kinda like a KOFXIV situation where the gameplay holds up the crappy artstyle and graphics.

GIVE them a check? Hahaha.

Sanctuary

MVC2 and SF4 are such good looking games, not sure what they were thinking

LOL, what? Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the sprites Capcom has made, but MvC2 is anything but a "good looking game". Or at least, it's inconsistently good looking. It's a collection of sprites across multiple fighting games that came out prior, with relatively few that are actually new. The animations of the older sprites were not updated either, so they come off janky compared to the newer ones, and the backgrounds don't look good at all to me. Pretty bland 3D backgrounds + mismatched sprites. Better to look at than listen to though I guess (thank god for custom discs). Love the game, but I don't find it all that good to look at. Although in regards to MvC3 and Infinite...I guess I agree at least that I think it looks better.

I prefer sprites over the Tatsunoko/prerenderedwhatever look MvC3 had going on, but I wouldn't actually call it "ugly". At least it was consistent throughout. Infinite though? It looks almost like some game that was made with Unity. It's not Capcom's typical quality at all.

But Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was gorgeous... It's one of a rare few games that co-opts "comic book shading/presentation" for the absolute better especially considering half of its source materials' roots.

For the particle and hit effects maybe, but the characters looked too "waxy" like how so many prerendered games do, regardless of whether or not they actually were prerendered. It was almost like looking at Clay Fighter.

Dahbomb

Most of the budget probably went on their god awful 3 hour story mode.

I don't even think this is an issue of budget... it's a lack of artistic coherence and talent. Some models look better artistically land technically than others. I think someone else's theory is on point with this, they are having a bunch of different studios work on the visuals/models and then they bring together the assets and stitch them together.

Like I don't believe for a second that Captain Marvel and Chun Li were made by the same group of people.

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3

MVC2 isnt a good looking game because Capcom planned it, they just mashed up every sprite they had and put it in a game. Some of those sprites are downright janky compared to others. The only reason you would think its a good looking game is because you prefer the look of sprites to begin with.

The End

It seems odd that if they're severely budget constrained they wouldn't just rip Ryu/Chun models from SFV and the Donte model from DmC as they're all UE games.

That being said, coming up against INJ2/T7 and with DBFZ looming next year, whatever budget/production problems MvC:I has look significantly worse.

Forward

Based on the game, I would say absolutely. But I do not have detailed information as to how numerous and deep management's pockets are. Maybe it is like Uni.

Madness

Probably. The fact they needed Sony's help and money to release a mainline Street Fighter game shows Capcom is not where it used to be where it could launch games back to back to back easily. It is probably also why they've focused so heavily in mobile.

mas8705

I'll have nightmares countless times with how Chun Li looks.
I'll pray for a miracle to see her face being changed.

CRUed0iVAAA5e9j.jpg

I think people are still praying that Ken's face got a makeover too... Mind you if it already did, it took a while for that to be done. Also apologies for not finding a better "Ken's face" picture. This was the best I could find that didn't cover Ken in bananas.

JP

I don't really think any of them have looked right since they moved away from the original 2D art, I was so disappointed when the new one was announced and it didn't have Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 style rendering.

jg4xchamp

Yeah, Capcom's low budget game has been obvious for awhile with their other games. Company is definitely hurting for money these days. Shame, because what I've seen of the 1v1 demos at E3, the game is looking tight. But visually disappointing.

I'm leaning towards bad art direction and style, just like MVC3
SF4 looks like ass.. Some stages looked good and animations we're good, but models and art style looked bad. Later character models got better though...

dbztrk

The game is butt ugly especially after looking at the beauty that is Dragon Ball Fighter Z.

Capcom should have use the graphical style of MVC3 but with more detailed textures and it would have been fine.

Lulubop

It's clear Marvel/Disney wants this game to have a certain aesthetic, and capcom isn't up to snuff. A stylish filter or shader would do wonders

BadWolf

Yeah, Capcom's low budget game has been obvious for awhile with their other games. Company is definitely hurting for money these days. Shame, because what I've seen of the 1v1 demos at E3, the game is looking tight. But visually disappointing.

According to Nirolak's posts, they are fine financially and are sitting on a decent pile of money. It's just that they seem to be really unwilling to take any risks, which is hurting their growth.

ElFly

dunno if they are reusing content from umvc3. they may be reusing _designs_ but maybe they are redoing everything from scratch while looking at the old models as guidance

which is hella wasteful, but the content pipeline changed a ton since 2011 to now so I dunno if the old models were at all usable with the latest techs

JayEH

Isn't arksys games are pretty low budget too? By a small dev team? If they can make games look like that Capcom got no excuse.

Capcom still thinks people will buy their games off the name alone. Someone should tell them it isn't the 90's anymore.

HeelPower

Isn't arksys games are pretty low budget too? By a small dev team? If they can make games look like that Capcom got no excuse.

These guys must have extraordinary talent.

Dragon Ball is bonkers. It actually looks better than the fucking anime. It looks nearly flawless.

Something very special is going on in the visual department of that studio.

OmegaFax

The reveal trailer felt rushed. The character animations had a very start/stop movement. There was almost a rigid feeling to them.

I don't think the further reveals felt any more refined. I told someone that Capcom must have spent a bulk of their budget on the Marvel license with some rolled up $20 bills leftover to actually make the game.

They may very well be under the clock and have to meet milestones to satisfy Marvel and a time table to get this thing released and enough time to accumulate sales before the contract expires (depending on how things were renegotiated) ... MvC3 wasn't available after 2-3 years until they rereleased it recently.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd be shocked if this game cost more than MvC3. It just doesn't make sense.

Capcom used to put out quality games. I don't know what happened to them this gen :(
They tried to make a next gen engine which fell through completely coupled with the shock of some of their most expensive projects ever either flopping, (RE6), or not bringing in a large enough profit, (DmC).They've been recovering for the last four years.

SimonM7

The style is definitely quite unfortunate, but it's not a result of a low budget. I think it's an attempt to make every character look equally at home, but it ends up looking kinda bland across the board.

Comparing ANY of Capcom's games to Injustice 2 is a tall order. That's more a clash of where performance capture is at in general in the gaming market. As slick as a Yakuza or a Metal Gear looks, it's a bit of a plasticky, stylised video game affair - however appealing - next to the western often-uncanny valley.

mas8705

It isn't just due to being a demo?

Not this close to release.

That's the biggest problem here. Back when it was first shown off towards the end of last year, you could argue that since it was the "First time" we have seen the game in action, visual can improve. At this point where the game is less than a few months out, you'd think that graphics would start getting finalized or at the very least, visuals on characters would be good to go to be shown off at E3 (to which in terms of the Marvel side, you can say that they look good, but then on Capcom's side we have the issues that we are currently discussing here)

Arc Systems Works is much more of a smaller company than Capcom yet their new Dragon Ball Z game looks much better than Marvel Vs Capcom and likely cheaper to produced.

Top Bottom