• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Wii U Screenshot Reveals Metroid: Other M Stage ~ Pyrosphere

Emitan

The biggest crime to the Metroid series isn't Other M. It's Samus's face design from Prime 1 never being used again :(

Alfredo

Eh, a stage, whatever.

But...oh God, if Ridley is relegated to stage hazard, what if Sakurai decides to add Adam to the roster for more Metroid representation? People would rage so hard, and i'd probably be upset, too!

RagnarokX

Uh, you do realize we're talking about a stage, right? Other M's boring level design (And Sakurai's baffling obsession with lava in Metroid stages) means that we got a boring-ass stage.

Yes, it looks more realistic than a floating platform over lava, but it's still just another Metroid stage with a platform over lava.

Level design, not art design. Structure. This is a fighting game, not a platformer. That said, this level looks great; much better than previous Metroid stages. This is probably the most interesting area you could take from Other M.

Hey, don't forget the bland as shit environment designs and terrible, terrible character/creature designs, which do have some impact on Smash.
Samus looks fine, this stage looks great. It's not like we don't have pictures to look at and objectively examine. Hopefully they'll go with a better Zero Suit than Other M, though.

Also, this stage is by far the best-looking Metroid stage so far in Smash. Brawl's stages were especially disappointing. Norfair was just generic platforms floating in front of a nice background with a really annoying stage hazard and Orpheon was generic platforms floating in front of a background that didn't properly represent Prime. This Pyrosphere stage looks really good and much more care has been put into properly theming it. The main platform is actually part of the level.

All Metroid stages in Smash have disappointed me, and this one does not look much better. I mean I will hold final judgement until I play it for myself, but in the realm of Metroid the possibilities are endless and they haven't executed on it well in Smash. Just off the top of my head:

Imagine Tourian... Metroids floating around everywhere, occasionally coming into attack. You have to watch not only the people you are fighting against but the Metroids as well. If you don't knock them back they will drain some of your energy. Not only that, but imagine in the background a huge tube with Mother Brain. Every few minutes she charges up and releases a huge energy beam from her eye, devastating all in her path.

Or how about a stage set in the Sanctuary Fortress? The backdrop could be the great final battle between the Luminoth and the Ing. You would be able to see Ing possess and corrupt the machines that the Luminoth built. Rezbits could float up and plant their virus in the players, causing the controls to go wonkey.

Hell, even if they were going for a more non interactive stage, what about the depths of SR288, creepy Gameboy bleeps and bloops and all. They could have the different evolutionary stages of Metroids in the background just for scenery?

Or if they insist on using something from Other M why not use the holographic rooms that simulated different environments to keep things interesting. Or maybe in the Cryosphere where the gravity was all wonkey? I could think of tons of more ideas. I dunno, it just seems like there is so much potential for a great Metroid Smash stage yet they are happy to do the bare minimum.

Mr Swine

Banned
In a perfect world we'd have Skytown from Prime 3 instead.

hqdefault.jpg

He'll no, Tourian from Super Metroid would be perfect as a stage with Mother Brain as a stage hazard with rising acid and rink as shooting everywhere

If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

This may very well be the definition of Comic Book guy level stupidness.

This is what I picture when I read this.

comic-book-guy-7.gif

El Odio

Banned
Metroid really loves their lava stages don't they? At least this one probably won't have any of it rising from the ground or coming from the walls.

Toxi

Banned
Dozens of unique, expressive, beautiful 3D environments to choose from in the Prime series, and a boring industrial zone is chosen...again. With lava....again.

LET'S MAKE ANOTHER BORING CAVE OR SPACESHIP WITH LAVA!!!

Level design, not art design. Structure. This is a fighting game, not a platformer. That said, this level looks great; much better than previous Metroid stages. This is probably the most interesting area you could take from Other M.
Eh, I prefer the desert hologram area.

Samus looks fine, this stage looks great. It's not like we don't have pictures to look at and objectively examine.
It's a miracle what Smash's designers have done with Other M's terrible Samus design, it's true, they managed to make it somewhat presentable, but the stage is pretty "meh," quite held back by Other M's art. The best part of the stage is definitely the lighting, which could have been done on any stage from any Metroid. Even among Other M's locations it's a pretty boring environment. The most interesting areas (visually) in the entire game are probably the environments that switch between organic and mechanical, but that isn't in this room. Pretty disappointing choice, as obvious as it was.

But there's still other things from Other M we haven't seen make the transition. Zero Suit Samus's heels will hopefully be gone, but I can't imagine anyone would ever be able to make Other M's Ridley presentable.
20100925182819!Ridley_mom.png

There's only so much science is currently capable of.

EDIT: Though with color changes we will finally see the Other M suit in proper Gravity colors, so we'll get to see what was too silly looking for Sakamoto's super-duper serious story.

But there's still other things from Other M we haven't seen make the transition. Zero Suit Samus's heels will hopefully be gone, but I can't imagine anyone would ever be able to make Other M's Ridley presentable.
20100925182819!Ridley_mom.png

There's only so much science is currently capable of.

Who honestly thought that looked good?

Emitan

Could you imagine if Lightning was confirmed as a playable character and was revealed at the same time as this stage? GAF would explode in rage.

RagnarokX

All Metroid stages in Smash have disappointed me, and this one does not look much better. I mean I will hold final judgement until I play it for myself, but in the realm of Metroid the possibilities are endless and they haven't executed on it well in Smash. Just off the top of my head:

Imagine Tourian... Metroids floating around everywhere, occasionally coming into attack. You have to watch not only the people you are fighting against but the Metroids as well. If you don't knock them back they will drain some of your energy. Not only that, but imagine in the background a huge tube with Mother Brain. Every few minutes she charges up and releases a huge energy beam from her eye, devastating all in her path.

Or how about a stage set in the Sanctuary Fortress? The backdrop could be the great final battle between the Luminoth and the Ing. You would be able to see Ing possess and corrupt the machines that the Luminoth built. Rezbits could float up and plant their virus in the players, causing the controls to go wonkey.

Hell, even if they were going for a more non interactive stage, what about the depths of SR288, creepy Gameboy bleeps and bloops and all. They could have the different evolutionary stages of Metroids in the background just for scenery?

Or if they insist on using something from Other M why not use the holographic rooms that simulated different environments to keep things interesting. Or maybe in the Cryosphere where the gravity was all wonkey? I could think of tons of more ideas. I dunno, it just seems like there is so much potential for a great Metroid Smash stage yet they are happy to do the bare minimum.
I'm not saying they picked the best stage they could from all possibilities. I'm just saying that, as far as Metroid stages in Smash Bros go, this is the best one so far. Metroid stages have always been disappointing in Smash and this is the least-disappointing-looking one. I dislike when they just put generic platforms floating in front of a background. I am happy that this stage properly integrated the platforms into the background.

Toxi

Banned
Brinstar Depths is admittedly very cool, even if it's just another cave with lava.

lh6w05l.jpg

I don't know who the hell thought it was a good idea to put Team Ninja in charge of the art direction in a Metroid game, that's all I know.

I mean look at that fucking thing. Jesus.
Why does Ridley have hexagons on his wings? 0_0 It's such a random design choice.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
This might've been answered already but is there gonna be some type of announcement or appearance at Gamescom? TGS?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Brinstar Depths is admittedly very cool, even if it's just another cave with lava.

Why does Ridley have hexagons on his wings? 0_0 It's such a random design choice.

He was eating bug eggs. Maybe he inherited beehive wings. I dunno.

Came in for the Other M tears. Was not dissapointed. They are sweet.

As far as Other M stages go, I'd have preferred the Command Bridge with the secret boss
as the stage hazard. But this looks good anyway, definitely better than most previous Metroid stages.

Also looking forward to the (almost) inevitable Prime 3 stage. The 3DS game will probably have the NES Metroid/Zero Mission Brinstar stage.

Tyeforce

Who honestly thought that looked good?
I don't think it's really that bad at all, considering what this Ridley is and all. He's kinda supposed to look horrific.

Either way, I think they made Other M Ridley look better in Dead or Alive Dimensions, and I'm sure he'd look even better in Smash Bros.

DOAD_Ridley_Hitomi_2.jpg

RagnarokX

Here's a non-blurry Ridley screenshot:

It is indeed an awful design. They shortened the hell out of his neck and made his limbs too beefy.

But still, I think I prefer it to Ridley X...

trjGIj9.jpg

They made him too big and his posture is off-putting. And the small wings. It doesn't help that you see him transform into that from a better-looking corpse...

Clov

Well, I guess Ridley's out as a playable character then. Pretty disappointing, though expected.

Hoping that K. Rool will at least make the cut.

Riki

People saying they won't buy a game because of a beautiful anf potentially awesome stage? I've seen everything...

Shaanyboi

Banned
And there goes any interest I had in the WiiU version...

If the choice is between getting Other M shit in my Smash and no WiiU version I'll happily skip and get to the superior 3DS version (granted it doesn't have Other M shit smeared in it).

Yeah and I won't play as Samus anymore.

Seriously?? Fuck this game

If Smash is suppose to be a celebration of Nintendo, then an Other M stage akin to celebrating the day your parents were murdered.

lol fucking seriously? I hate Other M as much as the next guy but give me a fucking break...

morikaze

Banned
There should be a rainy Zebes surface level. Flat like Eldin bridge. Better yet, another good alternative to the Other M arena that could satisfy everyone's need for an actual good (classic) Metroid level would be to start from the surface and transition through all of the areas in Super Metroid by floors crumbling, walls exploding and water washing everyone into Maridia. Kind of like Castle Siege from Brawl.

Parallacs

The Other M hate on this forum always astound me.

At least I think we have graduated from the "it's cool to hate it" phase.

Now most posters can admit that it is a decent game that has some obvious issues. Though there are still those posters that act like it murdered their dog or something.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
At least I think we have graduated from the "it's cool to hate it" phase.

Now most posters can admit that it is a decent game that has some obvious issues. Though there are still those posters that act like it murdered their dog or something.

Some people are upset Other M didn't have Terminator Samus.

Tookay

Seriously, I cannot get over the kind of hyperbole that Other M ushers in every single time. The game isn't even worth the effort.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

haha... you are serious?

Not

Banned

Nintendo still gets money either way

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I should try Other M one day. I'll probably enjoy it just because I'll go in there with negative expectations and I find amusement it campy things.

Funny to see you can get it for £1 on Amazon (Plus P+P).

Top Bottom