• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

adelante

SAB CA said:
Maybe I should change my avatar from the Noone-recognizes-him Royal knight (Axe+Lightning FTW!)... to something more obvious... :lol: Though I don't think "Sky Warrior" is really any better... Ha ha ha.
Are those the blue goons who'd do an UsainBolt-style pose in the beginning of the game?? lol

Anyway, 12 player versus?!? My memory's failing me a bit, but didn't the original support only up to 6? I remember spending many hours pitting AI characters against each other just to see who's the strongest in their class/type (as far as bosses go, that dude with the cape always wins hahah)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Shig said:
Does your Saturn copy have online co-op and Vs. Mode support for 12 players?

No, but that's two things I don't actually need. Nothing beats playing a beat-em-up with a friend/s at your side watching the same screen. They are nice extras to have, but just that, extras for me. Besides, I'm still getting it.

krYlon

M3d10n said:
Fuck yeah. The 360 now has enough Treasure XBLA remakes for me to consider buying one. How cheap is a 360 with a broken DVD drive?

Yesterday I bought one off ebay for £20 so I could play Bangai-o

Now I know I made the right decision!

Teknoman

m0dus said:
Heh.

We were actually informed about this a few months back, and have been working on something very special in the interim. It has literally been torture to not say anything, because of the NDA.

Here's an interesting story: Last year, during E3 we met with Haruki Satomi of Sega (vp of digital media, and son of the current pres) and actually told him, point blank, that they needed to rerelease guardian heroes (and shining force) with remastered graphics (get this, I actually got to sit there and show him all the 'hd remix' concepts I had done for all those games). He actually said 'why do so many people love it, but so few bought it?' when we got to that GH picture.

I found out about GH XbLa earlier this year. I have been keeping my trap shut since then, but I will say that you guys should look forward to some cool official stuff in the near future related to this announcement. Because I love this game.

Unreasonable hype! And if the game ends up having great netcode, it should sell alot...especially since people could also use it as a Smash Bros style version game online.

m0dus said:
Heh.

We were actually informed about this a few months back, and have been working on something very special in the interim. It has literally been torture to not say anything, because of the NDA.

Here's an interesting story: Last year, during E3 we met with Haruki Satomi of Sega (vp of digital media, and son of the current pres) and actually told him, point blank, that they needed to rerelease guardian heroes (and shining force) with remastered graphics (get this, I actually got to sit there and show him all the 'hd remix' concepts I had done for all those games). He actually said 'why do so many people love it, but so few bought it?' when we got to that GH picture.

I found out about GH XbLa earlier this year. I have been keeping my trap shut since then, but I will say that you guys should look forward to some cool official stuff in the near future related to this announcement. Because I love this game.

This is the sad reality that many good games suffer.

Cannot fault this logic. Hopefully the HD remix sells better.

LiK

m0dus said:
Heh.

EXCLUSIVE!

Will somebody just remake and localize all three parts of Shining Force III already? You can even release the Premium Disc as DLC.

m0dus said:
Here's an interesting story: Last year, during E3 we met with Haruki Satomi of Sega (vp of digital media, and son of the current pres) and actually told him, point blank, that they needed to rerelease guardian heroes (and shining force) with remastered graphics (get this, I actually got to sit there and show him all the 'hd remix' concepts I had done for all those games). He actually said 'why do so many people love it, but so few bought it?' when we got to that GH picture. Our response was something akin to, "that was then, this is now, etc'. He knew the quality of the property, though, and it was obvious. Still, I now have to wonder if we influenced the decision to bring it back ;)

See? That's what I'm talking about.

KenOD said:
No, but that's two things I don't actually need. Nothing beats playing a beat-em-up with a friend/s at your side watching the same screen. They are nice extras to have, but just that, extras for me. Besides, I'm still getting it.

Thank the norse gods that Sega doesn't base their decisions on what you need.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
m0dus said:
He actually said 'why do so many people love it, but so few bought it?' when we got to that GH picture.
Well, I mean, ya know.. the Saturn.

Awesome news. I would probably be lame enough to get some Nicole avatar gear. <3

I hope treasure is involved somehow.

This and Radiant Silvergun is going to make my year.

m0dus said:
I was like, 'that was then, this is now.' I suppose it was fairly obvious at the time that they must have been considering it at that point, because he knew what game it was immediately as soon as we got to the pic. Also, he was cool as hell.

You didn't throw Panzer Dragoon Azel in that convo... ;) ?

*RandyMarshCum. gif*

Time to cross another game I've been wanting. I just pray that the netcode is good and that it stays as close to the original as possible. All I can hope for now is that we get Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx and Fighters Megamix. I need some people to play that with. I just hope this is the start of something great. Maybe after this they'll get to some of the Sega Ages remakes and Golden Axe 2 (Arcade). Don't fuck this up.

Vorg

Banned
you know a game is awesome when after 15 years or so a thread about a re-release gets these many replies in such a short time. :)

E-DuB

I never had the chance to play this the first time around on the Saturn. This will be a day one pick up for sure.

ezekial45

Banned
m0dus said:
One battle at a time. Also, they lost the source code and all the data for azel :(

I hear this being brought up a lot. Do we know how exactly this happened? I'd seriously like to know how the Source Code for several of SEGA's games were lost.

Also, can't they just reverse engineer from ROMs or from actual copies of the game? I know that may be a bit crass, but at least it's something, right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You people better buy it so that they bring (to you & to more platforms) more Saturn classics.

And yeah I hope this is by Treasure not some SEGA + UDON type thing... Or worse yet, filters!

ezekial45 said:
I hear this being brought up a lot. Do we know how exactly this happened? I'd seriously like to know how the Source Code for several of SEGA's games were lost.

Also, can't they just reverse engineer from ROMs or from actual copies of the game? I know that may be a bit crass, but at least it's something, right?

I presume that is more of a "we don't need this anymore", since re-makes or re-releases was not something they planned for at that time.

Still messed up thou.

I would like a full on remake, without having to use the source code.

One can only hope. I don't know how strong is the panzer dragoon IP now. Only few people care. :(

cj_iwakura said:
So why no PSN release?

If you're a Treasure fan, just get a 360, it's already worth it (a cheap used machine with a broken DVD drive is not a bad idea if you don't care about retail games). Something tells me Treasure's support for the 360 won't end here.

TxdoHawk

Oh, very nice. I saw people playing this at a convention once and it looked like a blast. Looking forward to finally getting to play this.

geebee

Banned
As long as I can play this wihout the "HD" graphics and they dont touch the music, I'll be counting down the days.

Gagaman

Seriously considering a 360 now, seeing as Treasure seems to be making it's nest there for good it seems. Still own my Saturn copy but cannot wait to see what the remake will look like, and actually being able to play the 12 player vs mode without the need of 12 controllers and 3 multi taps, let alone 11 people to come over to play it :p

geebee said:
As long as I can play this wihout the "HD" graphics and they dont touch the music, I'll be counting down the days.

I wouldn't count that out, since it's most likely to be a port.

If the original artist (which seems to work for treasure, or be exclusive to treasure) is on this... i wouldn't be mad if the only option was HD.

Zabka

Awesome news! I sold my copy of GH (and Dragon Force) 6 years ago after my Saturn died to help pay for a 360 and I've missed it ever since.

Dear Genie in the bottle,

Thanks for Guardian Heroes! Now for my second wish I want Dragon Force for XBLA as well. Then for the final wish just do world peace or something like that.

Thanks,
TheFightingFish

Top Bottom