• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

I like this idea, I remember SpaceChem is difficult, is Infinifactory the same?

edited: btw I need cloud support, I assume Infinifactory has it?
edit2: how sandboxy is it? I prefer more puzzley than sandboxy, that's why I am asking

I don't know if you've played SpaceChem or if you're just saying that you've heard that it's difficult, so pardon me if I'm explaining anything you already knew.

Both games are puzzley in a sandboxy kind of way. You have a set input and a set output, and a huge degree of freedom when it comes to how you want to go about solving the problem. Unlike most games like this, where you have to solve the problem using a set number of tools, these games let you use whatever you want to solve the problem, as long as it gets done. It doesn't matter if your solution is horribly overcomplicated and inefficient, as long as you provide the required output, the puzzle is completed.

What's even better is that even though the game compares your efficiency to other players on steam with end-of-level graphs, the game itself doesn't score you. So even though your solution might be more inefficient than every other players' (and boy, did I have some colossal messes in both games), you don't have the game itself handing you one-star ratings or anything, so you never feel too bad about a suboptimal solution, and even the more clumsy and overdesigned solutions still feel great, since you spent hours on making them work.

This video does a good job explaining why these games are so captivating. Honestly, they've kind of ruined me for other puzzle games. Once you design the entire solution to a puzzle from scratch, it's kind of hard to go back to a game where you're trying to figure out the one solution that the developer intended, and hoping that you're thinking along the same lines that they were.

As far as the comparison between SpaceChem and Infinifactory goes (and yes, they both have cloud support), SpaceChem is definitely the harder of the two. Since you're not limited by what you can build with, the games have different limitations. In Spacechem, your machine will automatically fail if two atoms collide or if an atom goes outside of the playing area. In infinifactory, letting blocks push other blocks is a key part of the gameplay, and not only does a block falling out of the playing area not hurt you at all, but the areas are so huge (at least in the beginning) that it's practically a non-issue. SpaceChem feels fairly cramped in comparison, but that's where most of the challenge comes from. Not only do you have to figure out how to put together the molecule in question, but you've got limited space in which to do it.

Ascheroth

I think I need some hints here:
eJ4UTTr.jpg
I can't make the reflection show the solution, so I figured it must be something else. I thought it might have something to do with a Z-shape since the previous 2 all have that, just rotated once to the right, but... no luck so far.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think I need some hints here:

I can't make the reflection show the solution, so I figured it must be something else. I thought it might have something to do with a Z-shape since the previous 2 all have that, just rotated once to the right, but... no luck so far.

If I remember correctly
there is always someplace/some way you can see the reflection

Aaron D.

So I put a couple hours into ONI last night and walked away mighty impressed.

If you enjoyed RimWorld & Prison Architect or Klei's award-winning art direction & animation. Or are just curious either way...don't sleep on this game. It's still in Alpha, but what's there looks incredible thus far.

Can't wait to dig in deeper over the weekend.

Did Dawn of War 2: Retribution not do it for you?

Guard are my favourite too, not counting the Sisters of Battle. Shame they'll only ever be in the rather terrible Soulstorm.

Dawn of War: Soulstorm isn't good? I thought it was just more of Dark Crusade. (Was planning to hit the DOW 1 and 2 expansions this year.)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Who usually has the best preorder price for Square-Enix PC games? Greenman?

Or should I just expect $54 to be the best it'll get.

BasilZero

Got vanishing of Ethan carter downloaded before going to work

Gonna play it tonight after I finish up my playthroughs of super Mario world and advance 2.

Crazy enough to play both versions though I wish they were different steam library pages like dear Esther ;/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Roberto Larcos, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Wither: Enhanced Edition (GOG) -- MB-0073B49551F4D0CC - Taken by Whitebison. 10 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for THREAD failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

t1487351431z1.png

Accoun

Dawn of War: Soulstorm isn't good? I thought it was just more of Dark Crusade. (Was planning to hit the DOW 1 and 2 expansions this year.)

It was made by a different dev team and apparently wasn't that great. However, there's a mod (the name escapes me) that rebalances the whole game and turns it into The standard game to play in multi.
(I think. I haven't actually played Soulstorm or much of the MP in DoW)

Hektor

With so many retailers listing Nier now, it's either official or they're all just as confused as us lol

It would be extremely idiotic from SE to not have a steam store page up by today night if it's really releasing day1

Also, i promised to giveaway a few copies of Nier once it hits steam. I suppose play asia is only selling grey market keys due to the cheap price?

bbd23

With so many retailers listing Nier now, it's either official or they're all just as confused as us lol

It would be extremely idiotic from SE to not have a steam store page up by today night if it's really releasing day1

Also, i promised to giveaway a few copies of Nier once it hits steam. I suppose play asia is only selling grey market keys due to the cheap price?

the keys also seem to be locked to EU region

Grief.exe

So I put a couple hours into ONI last night and walked away mighty impressed.

If you enjoyed RimWorld & Prison Architect or Klei's award-winning art direction & animation. Or are just curious either way...don't sleep on this game. It's still in Alpha, but what's there looks incredible thus far.

Can't wait to dig in deeper over the weekend.

I will probably get completely sucked in by this game, especially with Klei's penchant for long term support.

I'll probably sleep on it a bit to allow content to build up, and I have plenty of games currently.

Ghost Trick vindicated... Hopefully.

What other retailers are listing Nier for March?

Hektor

Ghost Trick vindicated... Hopefully.

What other retailers are listing Nier for March?

https://www.ozone.bg/gaming/igri/pc/nier-automata-pc/?
https://www.pulsar.bg/pre-order:-nier:-automata-?search=nier

These two bulgarian(?) ones

and this keyshop
https://www.instant-gaming.com/de/1662-kaufen-key-steam-nier-automata/

These suddenly all appearing within two hours and amazon now listening a PC version (with placeholder date) feels like a bit too much of a coincidence

Tonton

Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada is coming to Steam May 23 in NA, May 26 in EU

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/samurai-...c-launches-may-23-north-america-may-26-europe

The series feels so sporadic on steam. Samurai Warriors 4 didn't get released but 4-II did. Then steam didn't get Samurai Warriors 4 Empires but is getting Spirit of Sanada. Also surprised they dropped the vita version. I wonder if after Toukiden 2/Musou stars release, PS4/Steam will be their system releases going forward in the west.....unless the Switch becomes a breakout success then I could see that being included as well.

Don't take it personally, its just that superiority complex that pops up in SteamGAF now and then. It's like the only bad thing around here
and the anime

I mean even if you don't think Crash is great the series is still far better than any 3D platformer we can buy on Steam.

Crash 2 and 3 are actually great though, regardless of whether you tattooed Gaben on your stomach or Kaz.

Man I want to preorder Nier on Play Asia but I'm still worried about the optimization of the game. Especially since Squeenix is still tight-lipped about the PC version.

Well if you're pre-ordering Nier from Play Asia make sure you use the 5% discount coupon (2DLOVE17). Personally I wouldn't put down money until there was some actual confirmation of a release date.

Grief.exe

Man I want to preorder Nier on Play Asia but I'm still worried about the optimization of the game. Especially since Squeenix is still tight-lipped about the PC version.

Won't they just be using the Platinum engine that has seen several PC ports, or are they transitioning to a 3rd part engine?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.

Shining Force -- MB-27A10B250652C0BA - Taken by Vuze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom