• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short

Ketch

I've been going back and forth on picking up HOMM3 since it came out on iOS... By all accounts that I've read it's a solid offering except for some gripes about the UI. It doesn't and won't have either of the two expansions but apparently you can load maps to it using iTunes. I don't know if it supports 64-bit though.

I'm gonna stick to my GOG copy for now but you should report back if you buy it :D.

Did not hear good things on the "HD Port". It is way better to use the HD Mod instead of buying this version apparently though this does not apply to the iOS version f course.

Given the last update's release date it must be 64Bit.

Played it a bit this morning and it seems fine to me. The game mechanics are a little obscure to me at the moment because I only ever really played a tiny bit of HOMM5, the tutorial doesn't really go any deeper then controls, and it's of an older generation of games.

But I think it controls fine, looks fine, I'm looking forward to playing more of it because I've heard good things about this entry.

0OoO0

What ios games/app would you recommend for a person over 60+ who does not play videogames and know limited english? I was thinking of simple games like matching games and card games. Any recommendations.

My mother is sick in hospital and has absolutely nothing to do besides watching tv (which she does not understand). Thought I would get her an ipad for her to use to pass the time.

868-Hack got its first paid expansion, new progs, powerups, and other stuff

What ios games/app would you recommend for a person over 60+ who does not play videogames and know limited english? I was thinking of simple games like matching games and card games. Any recommendations.

My mother is sick in hospital and has absolutely nothing to do besides watching tv (which she does not understand). Thought I would get her an ipad for her to use to pass the time.
Monument Valley and Super Sharp are the two games my dad liked best when I showed him some mobile games. Fun, easy to play, little to no reading needed, nice visuals

Oynox

My Mum played some games on her iPad too. Monument Valley is one of her favorites, as is Botanicula. She really likes Samorost 3 and Machinarium as well but those two are a bit too hard for her.

There was this other nice looking game where you have to collect puzzle pieces in kind of a point and click manner. Forgot what that was.

Pachimari

Dammit. I haven't bought a mobile game for months. But I'm biting on Framed 2 for that price. I wonder if in the future these 64-bit games won't be compatible?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Dammit. I haven't bought a mobile game for months. But I'm biting on Framed 2 for that price. I wonder if in the future these 64-bit games won't be compatible?

With what? 64-bit architecture will be around for the foreseeable future/decades. There's no current need or computing problem that requires it to go any higher to say 128-bit. The main reason for the shift to 64-bit was to be able to address more than 4GB of memory, 64-bit gives you access to 16 exabytes. And going higher for the sake of going higher is actually more resource costly.

OS updates that change libraries, that then break compatibility, is another story though unrelated to games' bitness.

HotHamBoy

Give her Candy Crush. Those games can be really addicting. My mother is at stage 1100+ it's insane heh.

Of all the match 3's why would anyone play Candy Crush?

They couldn't manage to make this new version not sprite based? :/

This is just an update, it's not a whole new port.

Woof. Too soon.

Never buy on release, folks. (Unless you just wanna support the devs)

killercow

Of all the match 3's why would anyone play Candy Crush?

This is just an update, it's not a whole new port.

It's a new app though so...
They could have done more from the 30fps to the graphics and the limited MFi controller support it really is a small effort on Capcom's part.

Candy Crush is simple and easy to play. That's why people would play it

Woof. Too soon.

Never buy on release, folks. (Unless you just wanna support the devs)
That's the best reason to buy on release. We've seen more than a few great devs close up shop. That's why I always buy on release for the games and devs I really like

Matt Frost

Kalimba... The level design is legendary. Best feature of the game for sure. Hoebear is funny as well, graphics are pixelated gorgeous, controls are precise but the level design is what make this game brilliant. Controling two totems at the same time and on top of that having to swap colors between some smartly hand made levels is very impressive. Wow. Is like Polara but at another level. Getting a gold totem feels right here. Anyone into great games should get this. Brilliant stuff.

Popular =/= good
Good/best isn't the benchmark when you're picking games for people who don't play games, like his mother or my dad and grandmother

And such widespread popularity is an extension of ease of play. That matters more to people than good.

Like if my dad asks me for some good mobile games to play, I'd never recommend Device 6 or 80 Days or Card Thief, no matter how great they are.

Got framed 2! Loved 1, got that one for free.
Kalimba Is really great but I'll play it on the pc, virtual buttons are really not my thing especially for a platformer.

HotHamBoy

Good/best isn't the benchmark when you're picking games for people who don't play games, like his mother or my dad and grandmother

And such widespread popularity is an extension of ease of play. That matters more to people than good.

Like if my dad asks me for some good mobile games to play, I'd never recommend Device 6 or 80 Days or Card Thief, no matter how great they are.

I get that, but Match 3 is one of the most saturated genres on the market and you can find equally accessible games that aren't Candy Crush.

We also know that Popular on the App Store can also mean insane marketing dollars. Candy Crush runs a shitload of ads and King pays for presence.

Why not try to get some exposure for other devs that can't afford the marketing?

awp69

Noticed that Don’t Starve, Assassin’s Creed Identity and Space Marshalls 2 are all $.99. That has me wondering if Framed 2 is part of an Apple sale coming together.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
We also know that Popular on the App Store can also mean insane marketing dollars. Candy Crush runs a shitload of ads and King pays for presence.

You can't buy App Store feature slots, so you can't pay your way into the Popular on the App Store category.

The only placement you can buy on the App Store is in search results.

The reason why Apple features a game like Candy Crush Saga is because it is genuinely popular, makes them and King a lot of money, and King has the intent and means to support the game and customer base for a long time.

HotHamBoy

You can't buy App Store feature slots, so you can't pay your way into the Popular on the App Store category.

The only placement you can buy on the App Store is in search results.

The reason why Apple features a game like Candy Crush Saga is because it is genuinely popular, makes them and King a lot of money, and King has the intent and means to support the game and customer base for a long time.

Okay, first of all, you can buy the banner space. Mario took over the entire front page.

Second, Apple knows that a proven developer has better odds at making them money. King is a major player. They will feature them.

Third, you still ignore the crazy amount of money King spends on ads on mobile, the web and, especially, TV.

Look, I'm not saying Candy Crush is bad. Obviously it does a lot of things right to be where it is and that goes beyond advertising. But it's also grody.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Okay, first of all, you can buy the banner space. Mario took over the entire front page.

I don't know where you are getting your information but it is wrong. You can't buy banner space on the App Store.

Apple featured Super Mario Run heavily because it was a massive franchise, THE franchise, coming to their platform for the first time.

SteveWD40

BG2 gave me the "will not run in future" pop up today (not played in ages), it's still 32bit I take it? Any word from beamdog on an update?

Ugh, Land Sliders got an update for iOS 11, but now a bunch of my characters are missing. I'd probably try to unlock them again if it weren't for the fact that the game seems to be dead as far as new content goes.

„Motorsport Manager Mobile 2“ von Playsport Games Ltd
https://appsto.re/de/BLelhb.i

Does anyone know how this compares to the first iOS game and the PC/Mac version? I loved the first mobile game, but burnt out on it pretty quickly as it was a fairly shallow experience, and I've barely played the desktop one since I bought it because it's just not a situation that I play games in much these days.

If the mobile sequel is closer to the desktop version I'd be tempted to get it.

Does anyone know how this compares to the first iOS game and the PC/Mac version? I loved the first mobile game, but burnt out on it pretty quickly as it was a fairly shallow experience, and I've barely played the desktop one since I bought it because it's just not a situation that I play games in much these days.

If the mobile sequel is closer to the desktop version I'd be tempted to get it.
This was posted on TA:
I'm guessing it's an inbetween.... inbetween the first mobile version and the pc version.
It's more complex than first mobile version, as he's tried to port across as much as possible from the pc version, but it's still not as complex as pc version

Matt Frost

Asked AdultSwim on twitter if they were going to update MAMC for iOS 11 and the answer was not at the moment. Is that hard for a company that big to update the game to widescreen and 64bit and fix a couple of things? I wonder that. Anyone knows?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Asked AdultSwim on twitter if they were going to update MAMC for iOS 11 and the answer was not at the moment. Is that hard for a company that big to update the game to widescreen and 64bit and fix a couple of things? I wonder that. Anyone knows?

Being the developer for that game, yes, it would be hard for multiple reasons.

There is not a strong commercial case for doing so from their side either.

We've considered tabling an idea to take the IP back, but that is hard to justify internally and we haven't proposed anything yet, though they have indicated they are open to a proposal. If we did work something out, it would likely be for a new game though as transferring the game across to our ownership/control might not even be possible (there are certain things that stop that from happening).

Kind of sad to watch our BAFTA nominated game disappear into the compatibility ether.

Matt Frost

Being the developer for that game, yes, it would be hard for multiple reasons.

There is not a strong commercial case for doing so from their side either.

We've considered tabling an idea to take the IP back, but that is hard to justify internally and we haven't proposed anything yet, though they have indicated they are open to a proposal. If we did work something out, it would likely be for a new game though as transferring the game across to our ownership/control might not even be possible (there are certain things that stop that from happening).

Kind of sad to watch our BAFTA nominated game disappear into the compatibility ether.

Wow, thanks for the thoughful answer. Very useful. I am sad as well to see one of the best IPs on iOS dissappear. Hoping you come out with something new, like Monsters Ate My Condo 2 xD

Top Bottom