• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MDSLKTR

Dirt Rally I couldn't even finish a race. It's because you're bouncing around and it just made me super sick (I haven't had lots of motion sickness ever until I tried that). GT Sport is super smooth. And you can race on every track and in every car. It's just limited to a 1v1 race though with no options.
Gotcha, cheers. Imagine playing with this setup for dirt rally though haha:

https://youtu.be/jVLPO6A5Hx0

Wish there was demos for both.

Grinchy

Banned

Wow, so they're giving the Black Friday prices again before Christmas. I really didn't think they were going to do that. This should be a really nice boost in PSVR userbase for them.

$200 for the starter set with Gran Turismo is pretty nuts. I feel like that one will be pretty limited (probably clearing out stock). The Doom VFR bundle, with the same components and a cheaper game, costs $300. I guess maybe it could also be an older headset versus newer model headset thing as well, which would confirm the limited stock of the GT bundle and the need to clear stock.

Wow, so they're giving the Black Friday prices again before Christmas. I really didn't think they were going to do that. This should be a really nice boost in PSVR userbase for them.

$200 for the starter set with Gran Turismo is pretty nuts. I feel like that one will be pretty limited (probably clearing out stock). The Doom VFR bundle, with the same components and a cheaper game, costs $300. I guess maybe it could also be an older headset versus newer model headset thing as well, which would confirm the limited stock of the GT bundle and the need to clear stock.

I missed out the first time( the Skyrim bundle was more or less sold out BEFORE Black Friday). I had a slight inkling that they were going to re-introduce that promotion in December, especially if last week's sales were good. It's a great opportunity to expand the userbase as you said. I've got the Skyrim bundle in my amazon cart and ready to pull the trigger at $349 :).

IMO the best deals are the $199 and $349 bundles. The Doom bundle is oddly priced next to the Skyrim bundle, considering Doom MSRP for $30 and Skyrim at $60, PLUS the $349 bundle includes the MOVE controllers which retail for around $80 on their own(MSRP $99). I think the move controllers in the Skyrim bundle are also the revised ones with micro-USB and better battery?

Any ideas on the best place to nab a $199 bundle? The woman just gave me a green light to get one for my Christmas present! I know it starts on the 10th, I'm freaking excited!

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Got my PSVR trial set yesterday, and haven’t been able to use it, the snowstorm in Atlanta has knocked my power out since shortly after getting home from work yesterday...

Wonko_C

Got my PSVR trial set yesterday, and haven’t been able to use it, the snowstorm in Atlanta has knocked my power out since shortly after getting home from work yesterday...

That sucks, talk about terrible timing. Last time a natural disaster knocked out the power in my house it took exactly two weeks to come back. Let's just hope that's not the case for you.

Since picking up my PSVR Skyrim bundle the week before Thanksgiving I've played a ton of demos. That's one good thing about VR gaming, it's a new kind of game so there are lots of demos. But I've also identified a few things about PSVR and some games that I'd like to comment on.

- Tracking with the helmet and move controllers worked perfectly for me at first, but over time, I've had certain sessions where they didn't work well. I'm sitting in the same basic area with the same equipment, but one day it will be perfect, and the next, my "hands" will jump around or point backwards, or my view will "pulse" forward slightly even though I am still. The next night it will be fine again. I don't know what causes this. Clothing maybe?

- Often when you start a VR game this camera feed will come up and tell you to adjust things where you are inside the outline of a human that is superimposed on the feed. I'm a pretty tall guy and I've discovered that this doesn't work, at least as far as the height goes. Some games like Skyrim or Job Simulator will have you bending down or reaching down to do things, and if I'm lined up in that outline, when you bend or reach down your controllers are outside of the camera view and stop responding. As a result I angle the camera down farther than the suggestion.

- Also devs, I realize many of you are just porting things to PSVR from the PC side, but maybe think about not having me turn around and manipulate things behind me? This doesn't work due to the limitations of PSVR, since the move controllers go off camera if I'm turned and my body blocks the camera. Job simulator is a big offender.

- I'm quickly tiring of the "right in your face jump scare" in the horror games. I get why they do it, but it's getting tiresome and you start to expect them. Is RE7 full of that shit? I haven't played the full game yet.

Has anyone else found theyve lost their VR legs a bit if they stop playing regularly?

I didn't play anything in VR for about a month or so and when I tried to jump in to Doom with aim free movement, I was sick quickly. Now I look at my headset and I feel the twinge in my stomache as if its now associated with it. I dont know whether I should plug through, or try to ease back in with some non movement games. I didn't have this problem with Resident Evil or Farpoint but I'd been playing regularly at those points.

If this is how it is for me, I dont think I can play games like this long term because there will most definitely be other times I go weeks or even months without hopping in again.

ChouGoku

Has anyone else found theyve lost their VR legs a bit if they stop playing regularly?

I didn't play anything in VR for about a month or so and when I tried to jump in to Doom with aim free movement, I was sick quickly. Now I look at my headset and I feel the twinge in my stomache as if its now associated with it. I dont know whether I should plug through, or try to ease back in with some non movement games. I didn't have this problem with Resident Evil or Farpoint but I'd been playing regularly at those points.

If this is how it is for me, I dont think I can play games like this long term because there will most definitely be other times I go weeks or even months without hopping in again.

It happened to me before when I took a long break from VR but it my VR legs came back within a day or two

Some decent deals on PSVR titles right now on PSN. I'm gonna pick up the following:

Pinball FX2 VR - $5.99
Wipeout Omega Collection - $15.99 (VR Mode coming 2018, free if you own it so buying now)

Has anybody played the Super Stardust Ultra VR add-on? I'd really just like a VR version of the 3D version of SSD from the PS3, which was awesome, but this looks like something completely different.

Grinchy

Banned
Has anybody played the Super Stardust Ultra VR add-on? I'd really just like a VR version of the 3D version of SSD from the PS3, which was awesome, but this looks like something completely different.

The new mode they added with it is just ok, but yes, you get the whole regular game in VR. It's very cool.

The new mode they added with it is just ok, but yes, you get the whole regular game in VR. It's very cool.

Apparently if you can buy it standalone it's on sale for $6.99. If you already own SSD Ultra like I do, your only option is to purchase it as an add-on for $9.99 (full normal price). That's not good. Guess I will pass unless they fix this.

gmoran

Since picking up my PSVR Skyrim bundle the week before Thanksgiving I've played a ton of demos. That's one good thing about VR gaming, it's a new kind of game so there are lots of demos. But I've also identified a few things about PSVR and some games that I'd like to comment on.

- Tracking with the helmet and move controllers worked perfectly for me at first, but over time, I've had certain sessions where they didn't work well. I'm sitting in the same basic area with the same equipment, but one day it will be perfect, and the next, my "hands" will jump around or point backwards, or my view will "pulse" forward slightly even though I am still. The next night it will be fine again. I don't know what causes this. Clothing maybe?

Here's my PSVR Configuration and Tracking Guide, I have started a thread on Reddit on this as well, Grinchy discovered that uneven lighting can affect drift:

Initial Setup:
* Set IPD
* Calibrate Tracking Lights for HMD, controller, Move controllers

Environment setup:
* No direct light shining into camera
* Turn off lights in view of camera
* Cover or move mirrors in view of camera that can reflect tracking lights; ideally when covering a mirror use blackout material
* Small reflective surfaces, even diffuse reflective surfaces, may require some attention
* Lighting should be dimmer than otherwise; ideally only have lighting directly behind the camera
* Camera must be stable and should be situated according to desired play session—slightly higher than likely HMD position if possible: close for cockpit games (4ft), further out for seated with tracked Dualshock or Move controllers (4ft - 5 ft), further still for standing (6ft - 9ft)

Before Session:
* System should have been powered down since last session
* HMD should be connected up and placed on a flat surface, power-up and leave for 10 seconds
* Adjust Playstation Camera (PSVR menu or Devices, Camera)
* Equip HMD
* Calibrate position (hold down Options button)

If tracking errors occur (try each in-turn until resolved):
1. Calibrate position (hold down Options button)
2. Reset HMD (power off HMD, wait for 10s, power on HMD while keeping it stable)
3. Hard reset of HMD and console (power off console for 30s)

Externally Tracked Rotational Drift:

When playing games PSVR uses sensor fusion and a kalman filter to blend the data from IMUs and the camera to determine the position of tracked objects. Theoretically this should prevent any significant drift when using the PSVR, but in practice rotational drift of the HMD and the Aim controller does occur.

Another PSVR issue that can manifest itself is positional parallax errors (moving forward or backward also induces some sideways movement); this may also be related to drift.

Without the use of diagnostic tools, evaluation of these issue is subjective, but the experience of a number of users is now indicating that in good tracking environments drift can still occur if there is lighting to the side of the camera; and that the best way to eliminate this influence is to only have lighting behind the camera, ideally a single light source centrally placed.

MDSLKTR

Eve Valkyrie is on sale on the Psn store, cheapest its ever been I think. Is there a good game in it? The demo lasted 5 minutes and felt shallow.

RavageX

Eve Valkyrie is on sale on the Psn store, cheapest its ever been I think. Is there a good game in it? The demo lasted 5 minutes and felt shallow.

I enjoyed the full game a lot, even the multiplayer though I didn't do much of it. It's been pretty well supported so depending on the price it's worthwhile.

The demo doesn't give you anywhere near enough of the experience.

RavageX

I've experienced that, had to take my time before getting into it fully again, but right now I have a weird problem where I stopped for a few days, had been a bit ill, and now for the past two nights I get sick to my stomach while playing Skyrim. Could just be whatever I have going on that is making it worse though.

This is caused by a “glitch” when the system comes out of rest mode. It’s been there since launch and it’s never been fixed. ALWAYS power down the console entirely for a full thirty seconds before using VR. This will solve your problem with bad tracking/world wobble.

Grinchy

Banned
I just played Skyrim again for the first time since they added smooth turning. It is so much better this way. I took the headset off and realized that 3.5 hours had passed by.

Robbit_80

Just an FYI for people regarding the RGB/HDR passthrough capability of the PSVR V2 which I got today. It's working fine, took a bit of messing about as seemed the PS4 Pro HDMI cable wasn't up to the job (screen kept blanking and did not like HDR at all) so used a different cable I had and now works like a charm.

So yeah 2160p RGB/444 passes through and switches to 422 in HDR. Flicking headset on changes to RGB 1080p and back again.

Can't tell you how good it feels to finally have a working setup (touch wood) after all the messing about with my original V1 unit and Sewell adapter (waste of time).

Grinchy

Banned
Can't tell you how good it feels to finally have a working setup (touch wood) after all the messing about with my original V1 unit and Sewell adapter (waste of time).

Yeah, there were so many conflicting posts everywhere about the different adapters/switches/ect that I didn't even want to bother. I just went with a simple HDMI extension cable and used 2 HDMI inputs on the TV (one for HDR, one for VR) and it has always worked correctly.

MrBenchmark

Picked one up the other day the bundle with gran tur. Gotta say using it on my pro it's much better than I thought it would be and watching 3d blurays was really cool thru it. Watched some YouTube in 3d great whites scared the shut out a me. More thoughts later i played only $150 which was a price i could justify for it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, there were so many conflicting posts everywhere about the different adapters/switches/ect that I didn't even want to bother. I just went with a simple HDMI extension cable and used 2 HDMI inputs on the TV (one for HDR, one for VR) and it has always worked correctly.

I bought the Sewell adapter and it NEVER worked for me. I do what you do and I'm good for now.

tbhysgb

I’m dumb, anyway I got the Skyrim bundle.

Started with Skyrim, never finished the intro cart ride. Stomach churned the next few hours.

Now I’m easing in with rec room. Got the brightness turned down so hopefully I get acclimated ok.

I must say, I’m blown away though. I tried the vive for 15 minutes at mall of America this summer. The room scale of that was awesome but in terms of headset quality. I find the psvr v2 more comfortable. I don’t have a large play area so the psvr is perfect right now.

Anyway, can’t wait to get my legs and just have fun with it

DjRalford

I'm dumb, anyway I got the Skyrim bundle.

Started with Skyrim, never finished the intro cart ride. Stomach churned the next few hours.

Now I'm easing in with rec room. Got the brightness turned down so hopefully I get acclimated ok.

I must say, I'm blown away though. I tried the vive for 15 minutes at mall of America this summer. The room scale of that was awesome but in terms of headset quality. I find the psvr v2 more comfortable. I don't have a large play area so the psvr is perfect right now.

Anyway, can't wait to get my legs and just have fun with it

I highly recommend Batman, an amazing game and the teleportation system means no motion sickness.

Don't forget to download the free playroom VR game, and if you have + you can get rush of blood for free.

Grinchy

Banned

You might even want to just leave the headset off while it does the cart ride. When that's done, the game starts with teleportation as the default movement option, which would take away that feeling for you.

I personally hate teleportation, but it's the only option for those with motion sickness problems.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Now I’m easing in with rec room. Got the brightness turned down so hopefully I get acclimated ok.

I must say, I’m blown away though. I tried the vive for 15 minutes at mall of America this summer. The room scale of that was awesome but in terms of headset quality. I find the psvr v2 more comfortable. I don’t have a large play area so the psvr is perfect right now.

Anyway, can’t wait to get my legs and just have fun with it

Don't be afraid to play 3rd person games in VR either. Some of them are the best.

So i grabbed doom bundle yesterday and me and the wife played some rush of blood last night and had a blast.

Problem is I have a 4k tv that only does hdr through one hdmi port,so i have a sewell hdmi switcher for the ps4 pro and xbox one X. The screen will go black a couple times when i first boot it up, super annoying. Once or twice this has happened with my pro and the switcher playing mlb the show.. Is it the hdmi cable? The hdmi switcher? Is it happening with only hdr games?

Any help would be appreciated.

philm87

Stranger Things VR experience is terrible, not sure why then even bothered.

Made up for it by trying Resident Evil 7. OMG it's awesome. Wish there was move controller compatibility, but other than that it's awesome. Didn't make it too far before wanting a break, just to slow my heart rate down. It feels fairly calm, then as soon as that door shuts behind you when you go in the house or feels so intense.

Kaversmed

Stranger Things VR experience is terrible, not sure why then even bothered.

Made up for it by trying Resident Evil 7. OMG it's awesome. Wish there was move controller compatibility, but other than that it's awesome. Didn't make it too far before wanting a break, just to slow my heart rate down. It feels fairly calm, then as soon as that door shuts behind you when you go in the house or feels so intense.

I bought RE7 months ago to play on my PS4 but then I soon decided I wanted a PSVR one day and thus never opened my copy. Now that I just got my PSVR I'm not even sure I have the guts to actually play it in VR. I guess I just loved the idea about it hahah!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I bought RE7 months ago to play on my PS4 but then I soon decided I wanted a PSVR one day and thus never opened my copy. Now that I just got my PSVR I'm not even sure I have the guts to actually play it in VR. I guess I just loved the idea about it hahah!

Do it. It’s still the best all round PSVR experience for me. Nothing has equalled it for how well it immerses you in a complete game world.

MultiCore

Do it. It’s still the best all round PSVR experience for me. Nothing has equalled it for how well it immerses you in a complete game world.
I agree with this man.

I've posted about it before, but I'll recap here.

I'm not a fan of horror games. I just don't like getting scared. But when RE7 was released with VR support, I knew I had to figure out some way to play it.

I finally wound up playing with my headphones off, the surround turned down real low, and my wife reading a walkthrough to me to avoid jump scares.

I know this sounds lame, but it was the only way I was gonna make it though the game.

After I finished, I thought, that wasn't so bad, let's try this again. I upped the difficulty to madhouse, approached the house, and quit and haven't gone back.

Some day soon, I want to check out the free DLC, but man, it's rough. It's so immersive, and I just don't enjoy the scares, but it's a great game. I really recommend doing anything it takes to play it.

Top Bottom