• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Valve Employee Handbook

DSN2K

seems a great place to work but it definitely fits a certain type...not everyone works so well with such freedom, some people just need firm structure and orders to get the job done.

this reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart cheats his way to the school of geniuses; everybody there did whatever they wanted, nobody was really studying; they were all geniuses.

neoism

iR2hmgbuHPHSA.png

elevator guy

HAHAHHHHAHAHAAAAHHA!!

This just makes fun of every other job in the world....
Damn you valve.
shame I probably couldn't even make it as a tester.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think we actually only know of 3 people who left Valve: Antonov, Swift and Harrington (if he counts) and I think at least Swift left by her own terms.

Harrington doesn't count because he just bought a boat and went sailing because he had so much money and that was what he wanted to do.

Glass Rebel

Harrington doesn't count because he just bought a boat and went sailing because he had so much money and that was what he wanted to do.

So you're saying that he's still somewhere out there, probably working on Ricochet 2?

No, seriously, do we know what he did at Valve? Do we even know what Gabe does?

Zaph

Fairly simple. Because their other revenue streams cannot sustain a business model like this.
Apparently GAF likes to think making 1 game every 2 years (which sells ~3-4 million copies) means you can afford to give 250 employees an extra week-long fully comp'd holiday a year, have a free-form development environment free of pesky 'crunch' time and pay everyone much higher than average salaries.

Someone should really go and tell all the other studios they're doing it wrong.

Apparently GAF likes to think making 1 game every 2 years (which sells ~3-4 million copies) means you can afford to give 250 employees an extra week-long fully comp'd holiday a year, have a free-form development environment free of pesky 'crunch' time and pay everyone much higher than average salaries.

You forgot, they also run Steam. Seriously, Steam is what's making them their money so that they can work on big luxury products AND have the work environment be sustainable and creative.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

They also net significant profits from avoiding publishers via distributing their own games digitally, and have an additional source of revenue in the TF2 item store.

The scope of Valve's business, number of employees, and variety in creative, internal projects is hinged on overall revenue which, yes, includes revenue from Steam. But the idea that Valve could not abide by this business philosophy without the comfort of a cut from Steam games is very silly. It ignores the fact is and always has been a privately owned, internally funded hugely successful games studio. They weren't pressed for cash before Steam and certainly weren't afterwards.

Nyoro SF

Perhaps I am late, but who cares how they afford it...?

I don't mind if Valve makes their profit off Steam or their games. If Steam makes them loads of dosh and that gives them the ability to structure a company like this then that's cool.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Basically, if the handbook stressed how important the customers are ('the stewards of long-term relationship'), then why hasn't Valve done what many customers are asking for: either Half-Life 3/Episode 3 or something completely new and different from Valve? I don't even care if they hand off the Source Engine to another developer and have them make a new game or modify it a bit for their game (like how Epic does with their Unreal tech).

My point is without knowing how someone working there feels (or can admit/discuss without breaching their NDA), if I were an employee of Valve, I would just feel like the company is a company for the Steam distribution platform and that's it. I'm sure Valve have prototypes/cool concepts that are being worked on but will never see the light of day because 'Valve knows what's best for their customers.' At the same time, I would like to believe that Valve is more than Steam and more than Half-Life/Portal/Team Fortress 2.

But that's from the outside looking in.

I'm still not sure what the fuck you're talking about.

Other developers HAVE used the Source engine to make other games. Zeno Clash, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Dear Esther, Vindictus and Nuclear Dawn are some prominent examples. As for something "new and different", they've introduced two new successful IPs this gen in Portal and Left 4 Dead, along with experiments like Alien Swarm.

You want to think the company is more than Half-Life, but you complain that they aren't releasing more Half-Life. Valve has come out with more games at a faster clip than they have in their entire history, ranging from single-player campaigns to first person coop to multiplayer team-based to puzzle to top-down action to MOBA, and you're saying it looks to you like they're only about the digital distribution platform.

What?

StuBurns

Banned
Not even the top animation studios are at all like this.
Funny you mention that, because Pixar is always the company I think of in terms of rival entertainment mediums. I'd always heard it was along those lines.

The talk about HL3 is kind of ludicrous, it is happening, they do care that the audience wants it, it's coming, be patient.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You forgot, they also run Steam. Seriously, Steam is what's making them their money so that they can work on big luxury products AND have the work environment be sustainable and creative.

He didn't forget to mention Steam; it's just irrelevant to their particular discussion ("Could Valve's business model survive without Steam?")

Deadbeat

Banned
Looks pretty snazzy too.

fh4f91cfc3abb91.jpg

Source to all this: www.flamehaus.com (of HL2world fame/infamy)

[EDIT] Here's the original posting of this stuff. http://www.flamehaus.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=163319&p=3637282#p3637282
Hl2world only got infamy after hl2 came out. All the people that used to post there to figure out how to edit the leak then turned up their noses and blamed hl2world for pretty much everything.

Its kind of like politicians going to a brothel, but once the brothel is discovered they all quickly condemn the place even though they are hypocrites.

Paz

They also net significant profits from avoiding publishers via distributing their own games digitally, and have an additional source of revenue in the TF2 item store.

The scope of Valve's business, number of employees, and variety in creative, internal projects is hinged on overall revenue which, yes, includes revenue from Steam. But the idea that Valve could not abide by this business philosophy without the comfort of a cut from Steam games is very silly. It ignores the fact is and always has been a privately owned, internally funded hugely successful games studio. They weren't pressed for cash before Steam and certainly weren't afterwards.

Took the thoughts straight out of my brain.

People trying to say that this kind of environment is only possible because of steam simply do not understand the reason for the environment... If they thought this would be a less profitable and less productive way of doing business, they would not do it.

The fact of the matter is they think this is the way you make the best games and make the most amount of money, and so far they are proving to be right.

Zaph

That's the point I was trying to make.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter how Valve earns their money, but it does get very tiresome hearing gamers constantly sing their praises and wondering why other developers can't "be more like Valve".

Glass Rebel

Ultimately it doesn't really matter how Valve earns their money, but it does get very tiresome hearing gamers constantly sing their praises and wondering why other developers can't "be more like Valve".

What does it matter to you?

StuBurns

Banned

Valve could do exactly what they have been doing in terms of game development without Steam. They would be less wealthy, but their games are relatively low budget, and high return.

What they couldn't do is start from scratch without being started by two multimillionaires, that is what actually sets them apart from their rivals.

abasm

Sounds like a great place to work.

Not even the top animation studios are at all like this.

It's the reliance on publishers that necessitates a top-down company hierarchy. If you can become self-sufficient, then you gain the liberty to structure your company for quality rather than speed. I've heard that Nintendo, while not "flat" like Valve, has pretty open communication internally, and is constantly prototyping new games in and around larger projects.

1-D_FTW

Steam is just one of the by-products from the Valve eco-system. It's not why Valve is Valve. Valve is Valve because they're privately funded and had a visionary leader. When you don't have stock holders to answer to and you're accountable to no one but yourself, it changes the game considerably.

Think of most corporations as democracy. It's a horribly flawed system, but given the circumstances, it's the system with the most checks and balances to keep things from going horribly wrong.

Valve is the Monarchy. Monarchies are not an ideal form of government (since there are so many ways for things to go wrong and there are not checks and balances), but if you get a King who is enlightened and benevolent, it's the most productive form of government. This is Valve. The King is great with Valvedom. And its denizens reap the benefits.

Glass Rebel

I alway wondered whether Valve would ever take the jump and dabble into publishing, maybe smaller indie titles. They have shown in the past that they'd rather integrate the teams and projects into Valve like they did with Left 4 Dead so it's probably not something they want to do but I'd still like to know how this would work out. Oh well, pipedreams.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Basically sounds like a lot of startups except valve has stuck to their principles despite their sucess. Btw you know who would really hate it if this style became the norm? Producers and managers.

sk3

Banned
Valve could run this way without Steam because the primary owner is rich as fuck. He wouldn't run the company with huge losses, but he certainly could if he had to.

Xun

Basically sounds like a lot of startups except valve has stuck to their principles despite their sucess. Btw you know who would really hate it if this style became the norm? Producers and managers.
Definitely.

The very people who get a shitload of money off the hard work from others.

Randdalf

Kelly Bailey left a while back, which went completely under the radar. I think he was one of the two behind that app. A shame, considering his impact on the HL games (and Portal.)

I listened to an interview with Mike Morasky who's one of Valve's composers at the moment, and he basically said that Kelly Bailey left to do his own thing, tour in a band or something.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I can't think of any other company that manages to do as much as Valve with only 250 employees.

GeekyDad

This is what it's come to? Really?

I'm fucking a nerd. I love to geek out on gaming shit, but an employee handbook? Coming from me it's ironic, but some folks need to get a life...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I'm fucking a nerd. I love to geek out on gaming shit, but an employee handbook? Coming from me it's ironic, but some folks need to get a life...

...what?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't think of any other company that manages to do as much as Valve with only 250 employees.

The ~260 figure is a little old now, but, fortunately, the Handbook offers an updated number: 293 employees attended the 2012 company holiday to Hawaii. If we assume even just a handful didn't attend, that would put the total headcount at or over 300.

Edit: I don't mean to say/suggest that a further ~50 employees negates your general point.

Sethos

Banned

Are you questioning the fact that they have an employee handbook like most established companies have in some form or another, or the fact they made and effort to make it fun to read.

Top Bottom