• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

televator

So... I'm taking an unexpected trip to china in august! What sort of retro gaming stuff should I look out for? ...aside from the bootleg stuff.

televator

I was hoping maybe there'd be like a rebranded genny or something. I guess I'll just have to check out everything if I get the chance.

Khaz

Hong Kong or Mainland China? they are wildly different in term of electronics, videogames and export stuff.

Wensih

I've been playing through the Spyro and Crash Trilogies after that sale on PSN a couple weeks ago. I finished the Crash Trilogy and I'm making my way through Spyro 2 right now. Spyro is great, leagues better than Crash.

I was wondering on where to get a cheap surge strip that could handle the task of four clunky AC adapters, when I realized I already had one in my front room. Since nothing in the front room needs the wide slots, I'm going to swap it out with a standard strip soon and put this bad boy in the retro game room. It will carry my NES, SNES, Duo-R and X-Eye adapters with breathing room.

I looked it up online to share with RetroGAF.

http://amzn.com/B00008T1TZ

3146UUtLv4L.jpg

Here's a newer version, looks a little nicer (?), but it's a few extra bucks too.

http://amzn.com/B0084DFKJQ

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I personally use the rather popular Belkin surge protector that they have on Amazon, that has the swivel plugs on the side. It's a little more expensive but it's a solid piece of equipment and two of them accomodates my whole setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Outlet-Pivot-Surge-Protector/dp/B000JE9LD4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401059322&sr=8-3&keywords=belkin+surge+protector

This one might work better if you have a lot of external power supplies, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J2EN4S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HaL64

I was wondering on where to get a cheap surge strip that could handle the task of four clunky AC adapters, when I realized I already had one in my front room. Since nothing in the front room needs the wide slots, I'm going to swap it out with a standard strip soon and put this bad boy in the retro game room. It will carry my NES, SNES, Duo-R and X-Eye adapters with breathing room.

I looked it up online to share with RetroGAF.

http://amzn.com/B00008T1TZ

3146UUtLv4L.jpg

Here's a newer version, looks a little nicer (?), but it's a few extra bucks too.

http://amzn.com/B0084DFKJQ

I don't understand the wide slot power strips. You can always buy something like this and just use a regular cheap power strip.
41r4GCB5bVL.jpg

Peagles

I don't understand the wide slot power strips. You can always buy something like this and just use a regular cheap power strip.
41r4GCB5bVL.jpg

I dunno about where you guys live, but all our multi power boards say not to use extension cables with it. So I never do, just in case.

Mzo

LOL this kid said nostalgia. What the fuck does he know about nostalgia?

Until I worked my own job I got one game on my birthday and one game for Christmas. There weren't many older video game to be retro about, though, but it's not like its any cheaper to buy old shit these days.

Why can't he be into PLAYING games? When did the tide change into COLLECTING? That makes me a little sad. The mother also mentioned they discussed what was "valuable," and then the kid says "passion." It's one or the other. Too young to be into shit for the money.

The short extension cables work great for older brick AC plugs and are perfectly safe. You should always turn off the power strip for your retro systems when not in use, though.

Teknoman

I really need to do some cable management... my Wega only has 3 inputs, a front RCA (the right audio plug seems to be a bit wonky now...sometimes sound going to one speaker will drop out while using PCengine DUO, corrects itself when I nudge the plug abit), rear component, and rear S-video+RCA.

So i'm fine with systems that I only connect via RCA (PCengine Duo, and NES) but for rear video cables and power cords...it's been jungleified. I guess zip ties could work (twist ties could do a similar job i guess)? Plus i'd need to label what belongs to what. I dont mind seeing wires behind my stand or next to it, I just want to get them better organized.

woodypop

Are retro-gamers slower to dive into current generation hardware? The last consoles I bought day-one were Dreamcast, PS2, and GameCube. Xbox and Wii were gifts I received way after launch, and I bought the 360 and PS3 about a year after their launches. I have yet to go current-gen, but will probably pick up a PS4 by year's end.

The most recent purchases I've made have been for a PS2 slim and a Neo-Geo CDZ. The latest consoles aren't a huge priority for me. What about you guys?

Most of my "game budget" is spent on retro collecting rather than chasing new releases.

The last system I bought at launch was SNES.

Are retro-gamers slower to dive into current generation hardware? The last consoles I bought day-one were Dreamcast, PS2, and GameCube. Xbox and Wii were gifts I received way after launch, and I bought the 360 and PS3 about a year after their launches. I have yet to go current-gen, but will probably pick up a PS4 by year's end.

The most recent purchases I've made have been for a PS2 slim and a Neo-Geo CDZ. The latest consoles aren't a huge priority for me. What about you guys?

I have never purchased a system on launch, lmao.

Not really interested in current gen, but I'll probably grab a WiiU when Bayo 2 drops.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I have a WiiU and a PS4. I play the WiiU pretty regularly. PS4 is still in the box.

I go where the interesting shit is, basically.

Khaz

I generally get my systems one generation late, unless it comes with a strong gimmick like the wii or the 3ds. I got my ps2 and xbox well after the wii and i got into gamecube thanks to the retro compatibility. I may get a 360 or a ps3 but not before a year or two, and only if I manage to build a decent list of exclusives I may want (besides Bayonetta I can't think of any yet.)

I'm not interested in the hype surrounding the launch of new games, I felt I was burnt too many times. I'd rather wait and see what game truly stands the test of time, what game stays good beyond the hype and pretty graphics.

Tain

Between me and my GF we have all new-generation bases covered. The Wii U has a nice selection of great games now, and Dead Rising 3 is excellent on Xbox One. Resogun's solid on PS4, shame I can't play Ishin in English.

Can't blame people for not buying new hardware on day one, though. Things get cheap, fast.

Khaz said:
only if I manage to build a decent list of exclusives I may want (besides Bayonetta I can't think of any yet.)

The 360 has a very good selection of GREAT Japanese action games (with Cave STGs at the center) if that's your thing.

Danny Dudekisser

The 360 has a very good selection of GREAT Japanese action games (with Cave STGs at the center) if that's your thing.

I'm still bamboozled by that whole thing. Here we have the PS3: successor to two fantastic import systems, but now, it's region free! Aaaand... there's next to nothing.

Meanwhile, the system by a bunch of white dudes is arguably one of the best import systems ever. Most of it is shmups, but there are a few other gems, like Virtual On Force and Senko no Ronde Duo.

Yes Boss!

Wii U is really only where it is at for next gen. Other systems are DoA for good japanese content. That said, still bought a One, largely because I loved J-360 so much last gen...and there are a few interesting titles out or on the horizon from japanese developers. PS4 has gotta be one of the most mind-numbing new console launches ever. Ugh.

Danny Dudekisser

Wii U is really only where it is at for next gen. Other systems are DoA for good japanese content. That said, still bought a One, largely because I loved J-360 so much last gen...and there are a few interesting titles out or on the horizon from japanese developers. PS4 has gotta be one of the most mind-numbing new console launches ever. Ugh.

Coulda been sweet if Sega's dumb ass would bring over Yakuza Ishin, but noooooooo.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm looking forward to doing some Retro Gaming Club with my brothers this summer. This thread will be an excellent resource, I'm sure!

Khaz

I forgot about that. I'll have to pop in 360-GAF to enquire about CRT support, etc. Last I heard, it made the subtitles in Dead rising to be rendered way too small, etc. That's when I gave up on the console honestly. And I'm not playing a shmup on an input-lag delayed modern flat-screen, that's just asking for trouble.

IrishNinja

PS4 & WU at launch, both get played here & there. Boss is right about japanese content so far, sadly...still, PS3 found a buncha stuff across its elongated gen, hoping for some of the same.

Coulda been sweet if Sega's dumb ass would bring over Yakuza Ishin, but noooooooo.

UGH

IrishNinja

^it's a good call; if anything jump in towards the end when shit's cheap & the gems are largely known

hey, i have a $5 best buy certificate expiring soon, can anyone check their website and tell me if any of the copies of Duck Tales remastered that they have are physical ones? doesn't matter what system.

baphomet

Nope, I still buy most everything day 1 just out of habit. My ps4 probably has less time last month than my supergrafx got last week. Of course it really just depends on if a big game is coming out. I'll get watch dogs tomorrow and play some transistor when I get around to it. Otherwise my gaming time and budget are pretty evenly dispursed between my consoles.

I forgot about that. I'll have to pop in 360-GAF to enquire about CRT support, etc. Last I heard, it made the subtitles in Dead rising to be rendered way too small, etc. That's when I gave up on the console honestly. And I'm not playing a shmup on an input-lag delayed modern flat-screen, that's just asking for trouble.

I often set up my 360 on an old VGA CRT computer monitor. Awesome for tate stuff. The original model 360 and first slim revision support VGA out so it looks great. The newest 360 "E" model only does composite and HDMI though.

Danny Dudekisser

I often set up my 360 on an old VGA CRT computer monitor. Awesome for tate stuff. The original model 360 and first slim revision support VGA out so it looks great. The newest 360 "E" model only does composite and HDMI though.

I remember hearing a lot of people extolling the virtues of VGA on the 360. Is it actually better than component and HDMI? I've been meaning to replace my aging US 360 for a while now, so if VGA is actually better, I'll go for one of the models that supports it.

^it's a good call; if anything jump in towards the end when shit's cheap & the gems are largely known

hey, i have a $5 best buy certificate expiring soon, can anyone check their website and tell me if any of the copies of Duck Tales remastered that they have are physical ones? doesn't matter what system.

Only physical copy where it came on a disc is the WiiU version. They have it for $16.

I remember hearing a lot of people extolling the virtues of VGA on the 360. Is it actually better than component and HDMI? I've been meaning to replace my aging US 360 for a while now, so if VGA is actually better, I'll go for one of the models that supports it.

I've heard people say it's less laggy, but most TVs with VGA input switch to a "PC mode" with no/less post-processing when you go to that input, and that might be clouding their judgement.

I have never compared it side by side with component and HDMI on the same TV. I just think it's an easy way to play stuff on my old tate VGA CRT computer monitor that I already use for DC games anyway.

Tain

Yeah, if you have a specific VGA setup that you'd want to use the 360 for (CRT displays, less lag with older HDTVs, etc), you might want to go out of your way for VGA output. If you're just hooking it up to a modern HDTV or monitor, HDMI is higher quality.

Danny Dudekisser

I've heard people say it's less laggy, but most TVs with VGA input switch to a "PC mode" with no/less post-processing when you go to that input, and that might be clouding their judgement.

I have never compared it side by side with component and HDMI on the same TV. I just think it's an easy way to play stuff on my old tate VGA CRT computer monitor that I already use for DC games anyway.

Okay, cool. I'm probably just going to go with an E, then, because it seems like it really is the quietest of the models... which would be nice. HDMI up in everything I have, anyway.

didnt PS3 get one later though? either way if WU one is for sure, grabbing that -thanks man!

Pretty sure that the PS3 never got a disc release -- just the case with a download code inside. And besides, the WiiU version gives you a minimap on the bottom screen. Neat!

Khaz

Today I was weak. I just bought a game on eBay to one of these German resellers with overpriced BIN and shipping and stock photos only. And I barely understand German so I hope I won't get screwed and receive like a picture of the game or something, lol.

Top Bottom