• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So buying a used WiiU has its advantages

20cent

Banned
Anyone complaining about that "feature" (mistake?), these are free and legally obtained games. Even if it doesn't comply with their terms, it's their mistake.

Seriously, people....

zoukka

Anyone complaining about that "feature" (mistake?), these are free and legally obtained games. Even if it doesn't comply with their terms, it's their mistake.

Seriously, people....

It's good for the buyer, bad for the seller. Choose your destiny!

I'm very proud of the thread creator. not supporting nintendo by buying the console used and then not supporting them even more by downloading games for free due to their piss poor drm / account management system.

no sarcasm. I'm genuinely proud. the way nintendo have shat on early adopters in the uk by supporting a massive price cut less than a month after launch is shocking. they don't deserve to be supported in any fashion.

The Hermit

They weren't playing at having an account system on any of those pieces of hardware. It was up-front that downloads were linked to the hardware then.

Lol at me waiting for Nintendo to have a unified eShop with both WiiU and 3DS.
They don't even have a proper account system... Jesus.

softie

It's pretty obvious the previous owner simply didn't wipe the system clean. You can get free games on used PS3's and Xboxes aswell if the owners leave their info there. I guess on those systems closing up access is easier though.
if you wipe a PS360 HDD you won't get anything. but this WiiU HDD was wiped clean and you can still download previous stuff with it. pretty fucked up system.

Harlock

Is exactly like the 3DS. The Nintendo ID is only for online interactions. Can register the games you purchased, like the Nintendo Club account do in the 3DS, but the game is linked to hardware. Nintendo is shitting itself very bad with that.

Neff

They obviously don't care about people selling consoles.

They'll eventually implement a system to be able to transfer games from broken or stolen systems to a new Wii U you own, but if you've turned your back on them, why should they worry? Why should you?

99%

So what if your WiiU breaks and you need to buy a new one?

How will you redownload your own games then?

Nintendo will never get the fucking online portion right. Never. They were light-years behind in 2006. They're arguably worse even today with the advent of the Wii U.

Someday Nintendo will catch up to Microsoft 2005.

Either that or they just fucking hate people who buy their systems and have one that dies.

coopolon

I've read through the thread looking for an answer on this but my apologies if I missed it...

So can the guy who sold the OP the WiiU redownload the games on a new console just by logging into his account?

99%

I've read through the thread looking for an answer on this but my apologies if I missed it...

So can the guy who sold the OP the WiiU redownload the games on a new console just by logging into his account?

No you don't have to be logged in, the games are tied to the console id.

So defacto the console has the rights to the games, not the account that bought it.

No you don't have to be logged in, the games are tied to the console id.

So defacto the console has the rights to the games, not the account that bought it.

So, if a Wii U Lite eventually comes out people that wanna upgrade are fucked? There's no way to transfer?

99%

Yeah I was asking that as well, but I guess you cannot transfer because it's tied to the system id.

So if you break your WiiU or want a new model or something you will lose all your digital games.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't think people are complaining because this is bad for them. I think people are moaning because this is such a hilariously stupid situation for Nintendo. It's absolute lunacy on their part.

I sold my Wii U today (sans downloadable games), but can't wait to pick up another one in 5 years when they're £79 with a generations worth of digital games on.

99%

You get it repaired by Nintendo. Just like the DSi. Just like the Wii.

Uhm your WiiU can break down out of warranty, or you have an accident or there is a power surge or something. You won't be sending it to Nintendo then.

What if I want a second WiiU in another room?

What if I sell my WiiU today but want one again next year?

Uhm your WiiU can break down out of warranty, or you have an accident or there is a power surge or something. You won't be sending it to Nintendo then.

What if I want a second WiiU in another room?

What if I sell my WiiU today but want one again next year?

you're fucked. completely and utterly fucked.

the only way you'd get those games back is to send the console to nintendo or buy them again.

Joni

if you wipe a PS360 HDD you won't get anything. but this WiiU HDD was wiped clean and you can still download previous stuff with it. pretty fucked up system.
And with the PS3 even a remote wipe would be possible. (Don't know about the 360.)

Hanmik

you're fucked. completely and utterly fucked.

the only way you'd get those games back is to send the console to nintendo or buy them again.

are you sure..?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501550

the thread starter told us that he got his games back..

7 days later, my Wii U has arrived in the mail. It's a brand-new unit. The day-1 update was preinstalled. When it came time for my NNID, it asked for my old NNID, my NNID password, and my email address. It warned that if I continued I would no longer be able to use my NNID with other Wii U consoles. I hit ok and it sent my to the Mii maker. New console, old NNID. It had notices I had accrued while my Wii U was away.

Majmun

I never knew that WiiU games were tied to your console.

This is getting ridiculous. How hard is it for Nintendo to implement something like Psn and Xbla?

Nintendo js so incompetent when it comes to online stuff

99%

I never knew that WiiU games were tied to your console.

This is getting ridiculous. How hard is it for Nintendo to implement something like Psn and Xbla?

They are shooting themselves in the foot here, since these are lost sales from people that purchase these consoles second hand.

Great for second hand buyer though, I'd make sure to pick some WiiU up from someone who bought a lot of games online.

People need to stop this stupid idea that Nintendo is incompetent.
The systems are in place to easily set this up. Their now, cause their being fucking arseholes about it.

Not incompetent.

ffdgh

Ok i literally laughed out loud at this.
KuGsj.gif

I would gladly buy a used wii U if it had Nsmbu and all star racing on it.

People need to stop this stupid idea that Nintendo is incompetent.
The systems are in place to easily set this up. Their now, cause their being fucking arseholes about it.

Not incompetent.

incompetent arseholes until they prove me otherwise. if the mechanisms are in place, what's the reason for withholding them? using the launch excuse is bullshit.

jiggles

Banned
I thought this thread would be about someone buying a WiiU that already had the latest firmware.

But oh, it's so much better.

Mihos

Gold Member
I dropped my 3DS-XL like a month after buyng it and cracked both screens. I bought a replacement for it the next weekend, but it was absolute hell trying to move my profile, street passes, games, etc over. I ended up watching a YouTube and just counting the button presses to start the transfer.

Micerider

Ok, this is really pushing me NOT to buy digital on the Wii U.

This means that if my system fails for any reason and has to be replaced completely in 2 years time, I can kiss goodbye to my digitaly purchased games?

Poor move (well, good news for lucky buyers of used consoles at least).

Rehynn

if the mechanisms are in place, what's the reason for withholding them?

The good old American Dollar? This will make people less likely to sell their consoles, meaning more potential firsthand sales, meaning more potential game sales.

Or maybe I'm just oversimplifying the whole thing, but it really does seem this simple.

You cannot seriously think that Nintendo does not have the mental(lol)/financial/technical capacity to put in place a system-independent account system like PSN or Live.

Top Bottom