• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Jisgsaw

Well, 1.18 is out.

Having started a game with Brandenburg (just now formed Prussia), I find highly ironic they called it "Prussia patch". Not only did they nerf prussian army a bit, the new institution system is pretty bad for north german nations (at least up to 1530, where I'm at). Renaissance wasn't too bad thanks to it spreading in developped provinces, but colonialism simply doesn't want to spread. I'm at 1530, only the spanish insula has it embraced, and it's slowly spreading into Austria... I guess it'll be a good decade before it even starts spreading in north Germany.

I just formed Prussia, so I can't be sure, but I get the feeling the new prussian government isn't really good if you want to expand either...

mkenyon

Banned
Well, 1.18 is out.

Having started a game with Brandenburg (just now formed Prussia), I find highly ironic they called it "Prussia patch". Not only did they nerf prussian army a bit, the new institution system is pretty bad for north german nations (at least up to 1530, where I'm at). Renaissance wasn't too bad thanks to it spreading in developped provinces, but colonialism simply doesn't want to spread. I'm at 1530, only the spanish insula has it embraced, and it's slowly spreading into Austria... I guess it'll be a good decade before it even starts spreading in north Germany.

I just formed Prussia, so I can't be sure, but I get the feeling the new prussian government isn't really good if you want to expand either...
It flips after that. The Printing Press institution begins in your neck of the woods. In my game, it started in Danzig. So you'll get a head start on the next one, compared to Italy/Spain.

Jisgsaw

It flips after that. The Printing Press institution begins in your neck of the woods. In my game, it started in Danzig. So you'll get a head start on the next one, compared to Italy/Spain.

I hope so.
I was just baffled how slowly Colonialism spreads. Renaissance had the spread for developed provinces, but colonialism has absolutely nothing.
I fully expect to have printing press before colonialism, which I find a bit absurd, and honestly puts me in a fair bit of disadvantage (especially considering I just had to endure 20 years under a 1/1/1 ruler that simply didn't want to die in battle...)

(I'm also a bit nervous because it's my first Ironman game... I almost missed the last center of reformation because of stupid allies dragging me to war)

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, I had Printing Press before Colonialism too. Definitely made that period a bit rough, but I didn't feel it as much since I had an okay ruler (1/3/5).

smjanssen

Anyone else have the bug where when you release a country as a protectorate, they automatically get released? I checked the UI and for some reason the game thinks a one-province Afghanistan has 1128% army strength vs my Ottomans. Same happened when I released Khorasan in the same game.

Jokab

Hey everyone.

Me and two friends saw EU4 on the steam sale and thought it looked cool. Only one of us have played grand strategy games before (mostly Civ), but we all are familiar with the concept of both strategy and what grand strategy implies. We're eager to learn.

What are some good ground rules for a three-player multiplayer game? Like pausing and stuff? Speed? Any guidelines you would recommend, also considering we're all completely new to the game?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey everyone.

Me and two friends saw EU4 on the steam sale and thought it looked cool. Only one of us have played grand strategy games before (mostly Civ), but we all are familiar with the concept of both strategy and what grand strategy implies. We're eager to learn.

What are some good ground rules for a three-player multiplayer game? Like pausing and stuff? Speed? Any guidelines you would recommend, also considering we're all completely new to the game?
Here's one of our MP community threads. The rankings of the nations and whatnot will be somewhat outdated due to changes over time, but there's some decent rules and ideas in there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905372

Bl@de

It has been a long time since this thread was active but I have a question:

I'm playing on a 27" 1440p monitor and the text is just too small. I have installed BetterUI and increased the GUI via the Ini to 1.8x

My problem: The font is all blurry and fuzzy and it's no fun to play the game like this if I have to squint my eyes all the time :-/ Are there any high quality GUI mods or fonts that remain sharp at higher zoom levels and resolutions?

I just wanted to conquer the world again :-(

Fitz

It has been a long time since this thread was active but I have a question:

I'm playing on a 27" 1440p monitor and the text is just too small. I have installed BetterUI and increased the GUI via the Ini to 1.8x

My problem: The font is all blurry and fuzzy and it's no fun to play the game like this if I have to squint my eyes all the time :-/ Are there any high quality GUI mods or fonts that remain sharp at higher zoom levels and resolutions?

I just wanted to conquer the world again :-(

Have you tried something like Better Font Mod? I think the font is uses might actually be the same as Better UI though unfortunately.

Bl@de

Have you tried something like Better Font Mod? I think the font is uses might actually be the same as Better UI though unfortunately.

Yeah I tried all of the workshop fonts. They all use Verdana 14. Problem is the bluriness if you zoom in the GUI, but that seems to be unavoidable. Unless someone replaces the complete interface with new high quality images and text. :-(

Fitz

Paradox have been really bad about their support for higher resolution monitors. Took them forever just to enlarge some of the menus in EU4 a little.

I want to like this game, I've had it since release, but this is the one Paradox game where I just can't support their DLC practices. I think it's probably because it's the one Paradox game I just can't get into.

Anyway,

I thought I try something different and play as the Thirteen Colonies just after their formation, to see if I could form the United States of America. No idea what I'm doing haha

Top Bottom