• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

ramuh

Man. Got it paid off and ready to play but I hope the "silent" protagonist won't hinder the experience.

The battle system and side quests/exploration.
Well, Xillia sorta lacks in both those areas. Graces has a way better battle system, and much more extra content but some of the characters are lame (the MC, particularly), and the story is a paint by numbers cliche.

Xillia alternatively has way better characters, story and production values, and Xillia 2 improves on a lot of the first game's faults. But you'd want to play them in order.

If your a Tales fan in general, they're all worth playing IMO.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hopefully Leia stay away from Jude.

Honestly girl, you are awesome and you can do much better than a guy who doesn't even bat an eye on you, bah.

Rhapsody

Banned
Good enough.

My preorder is kept.

Multiple endings is bullshit though. I'm gonna dig around as to what choices I have to make for the best ending, if it is in tiers like true, normal, bad...
You won't have to worry about the ending stuff. They're pretty obvious and in no way Megaten-like on getting them.

And I hope preorders get the DLC, but I dunno. Kinda sucks since I missed out on ToX DLC in JP but got it in the US version, so it might be vice versa for me this time around.

From what I've seen, he's more like Shin Megami Tensei kind of silent where he does speak but it's your choice what to say outside of occasional grunting. Which is a bit better. That said, I'm not sure why they decided to go that route.

You have choices to make but that's about it. It's not very good since the other characters talk to you, he responds to them, but you never hear it.

Good enough.

My preorder is kept.

Multiple endings is bullshit though. I'm gonna dig around as to what choices I have to make for the best ending, if it is in tiers like true, normal, bad...

IIRC, it's mostly choices near the end and how much often you use your corpse shell mode. It's not as bad as something like an Atelier game.

Not sure when I'll get around to playing this, taking on 3 40+ hour JRPGs in a row BEFORE I get to Xillia 2 is gonna suck up a lot of free time (Trails in the Sky -> Persona 3 FES-> Persona 4)

I was looking forward to the game but never cared to remember the release date because I knew I'd see this OT. :p

Though reading the OP, the fact that you revisit all the areas really soured me... I really liked Xillia, but the one thing I didn't like was traveling the world, specifically those fields. I won't mind revisiting the game if the fields were different at least...

Eh, I'll still get it.

Rhapsody

Banned
You have choices to make but that's about it. It's not very good since the other characters talk to you, he responds to them, but you never hear it.

IIRC, it's mostly choices near the end and how much often you use your corpse shell mode. It's not as bad as something like an Atelier game.

I don't think Corpse Shell mode affects anything.

Soriku

Didn't realize the game was so short. Honestly takes some excitement away. On well, still got it preordered. Amazon has not given a shipping date yet though, leading me to believe they are not doing release day shipping.

With the side content it seems it's longer than Xillia 1 overall.

Rpgmonkey

Spoilers (no actual story content though):

The endings you get are based on choices made in the last two or three hours or in post-game content and they aren't particularly vague. You can get every ending the game has in the same playthrough without having to do anything particularly elaborate.

ohlawd

okay i can still buy it then

dude man I think we're too easily pleased.

You won't have to worry about the ending stuff. They're pretty obvious and in no way Megaten-like on getting them.

thanks.

srsly tho hate games with more than one endings. I give SMT and Atelier passes cuz they're like the highest echelon of gaming.

I really didn't want to pre-order the CE, but damn it I don't want to miss out on any of the costume DLC I have an addiction bad LOL

Count me in as one of the morons who preordered the overpriced CE. =(

I was compelled to do it, I have no idea why either. Nice OT though, can't wait for the game to arrive!

Zafir

Disappointing. :/

I hope they don't continue with that then in the future. I find silent protagonists a bit annoying even in Half Life and LoZ never mind rpgs which has more focus on story and character interaction.

Although I'm not as hyped as I should for this, I want to continue the story. It's just that there's so much stuff coming out, I feel like I'm on a schedule lol. Still, if it's anything like Xillia 1, which I too wasn't that hyped for, I remember I played it the first day thought it was ok, then the more I played the more I got into it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was looking forward to the game but never cared to remember the release date because I knew I'd see this OT. :p

Though reading the OP, the fact that you revisit all the areas really soured me... I really liked Xillia, but the one thing I didn't like was traveling the world, specifically those fields. I won't mind revisiting the game if the fields were different at least...

Eh, I'll still get it.

It seems like I am the only person in the whole wide world that actually rather enjoy Xillia's world map system, especially with all those treasure chests and glowing things and stuff; marvelous stuff for an collect-a-thon crazy like myself, hahahaha.

It's nice for leveling up too.

Oh and we're still at page 2 of a fresh new thread and we already get black bars. Geezz louizeee.

GIVE! ME! THIS! NOW!

I have my CE pre-ordered from months ago and I'm more than ready for it! This is my most anticipated game of the year, so give it to me now, dammit!

I'm so mad at myself. I kept putting off ordering the CE because I was hoping for a confirmation of the DLC being in the standard edition, but when we got no word, they'd already stopped the CE pre-orders in Canada.

I'm going to be really pissed if that's the only way you can get them, but I asked a Namco rep about the possibility of the DLC being with the regular release, and I got no answer.

>_<

Disappointing. :/

I hope they don't continue with that then in the future. I find silent protagonists a bit annoying even in Half Life and LoZ never mind rpgs which has more focus on story and character interaction.

From what's been seen in Tales of Zesteria, it looks like they went with the most expressive main character I seen yet with SLAY.

Zafir

I'm so mad at myself. I kept putting off ordering the CE because I was hoping for a confirmation of the DLC being in the standard edition, but when we got no word, they'd already stopped the CE pre-orders in Canada.

I'm going to be really pissed if that's the only way you can get them, but I asked a Namco rep about the possibility of the DLC being with the regular release, and I got no answer.

>_<
Can you not just import it from Amazon.com? It says it can be shipped to select countries outside the US. However, I'm not really sure whether it has a block like some Amazon EU stores have on shipping to other european countries with an Amazon store.
From what's been seen in Tales of Zesteria, it looks like they went with the most expressive main character I seen yet with SLAY.
Well, I figure the main series is pretty safe anyway in terms of those kind of changes, I don't think they'd ever do many drastic changes to that.

I'm still a bit worried about Zesteria's characters, due to different designers they all kind of seem out of place next to each other. xD

chrono01

Thanks for the OT, nice work.

I'm actually still working my way through Tales of Xillia, but I should have it completed before this one is released. Hopefully.

[Add me to the list of those purchasing the Collector's Edition.]

Can you not just import it from Amazon.com? It says it can be shipped to select countries outside the US. However, I'm not really sure whether it has a block like some Amazon EU stores have on shipping to other european countries with an Amazon store.
Maybe, but that would be really expensive. The conversion + shipping for just some DLC costumes seems a bit silly, especially since that's all I really want.

I don't understand why Namco can't just give a confirmation on whether or not the standard edition will have the DLC, like it did last time, and like they're doing in Europe.

It's a really lame situation. :/

Zafir

Maybe, but that would be really expensive. The conversion + shipping for just some DLC costumes seems a bit silly, especially since that's all I really want.

I don't understand why Namco can't just give a confirmation on whether or not the standard edition will have the DLC, like it did last time, and like they're doing in Europe.

It's a really lame situation. :/
Ah right fair enough. It doesn't seem like Namco is doing the day one edition in the NA for whatever reason. I don't particularly get why but I guess that's bamco for you. :/

If the Canadian Amazon store is anything like the UK one, I'd recommend you keep checking the page a few days before release. They usually release all the cancelled orders to be available again around the time they're about to start shipping them out. That's if you are interested in getting the CE just for the costumes anyway.

Xenoflare

This game is almost $80 after tax in Canada, almost $160 if it's the CE

Wompwomp.

Also the costumes DLCs from the first game carry over right? I loved Milla's Alt color costume, and might pick up a few others if I have some spare funds.

Reveirg

How good are the auxiliary systems in this one?

Xillia's were a step below Graces, but I still found the shop and lillium orb systems quite enjoyable. How fun are the new upgrade systems?

Eusis

It seems like I am the only person in the whole wide world that actually rather enjoy Xillia's world map system, especially with all those treasure chests and glowing things and stuff; marvelous stuff for an collect-a-thon crazy like myself, hahahaha.

I think Xillia's is a good idea with lame execution. I'd prefer it to look more interesting and be more complex and interconnected, less like a Mario map I guess and more like a Metroid one. There were some hints of branching early on at least, but it didn't seem like that went too far.

Ah right fair enough. It doesn't seem like Namco is doing the day one edition in the NA for whatever reason. I don't particularly get why but I guess that's bamco for you. :/

If the Canadian Amazon store is anything like the UK one, I'd recommend you keep checking the page a few days before release. They usually release all the cancelled orders to be available again around the time they're about to start shipping them out. That's if you are interested in getting the CE just for the costumes anyway.
I'll keep checking, but I'd rather not have to buy it at all. I'm really hoping the standard edition as the DLC too.

If not, I'll look to see if anyone wants to sell their DLC codes for $20.

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia (I know, I missed Graces, I suck). Is Xillia 1 worth buying?

It's worth a try. I'm playing it now and the primary flaws are that the environment lacks personality and there are a couple infuriatingly annoying characters. Overall so far it's pretty good but not essential.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm sorry, I'm kinda forced to buy PSN Gift Cards.

Finding US$10 cards is kinda of a pain

No, no, I meant, is that really going to be the price for this game? 50 to 60 bucks? For some reason I am expecting more of a 40 or 40 something range... hmm.

ZeroX03

Banned
No, no, I meant, is that really going to be the price for this game? 50 to 60 bucks? For some reason I am expecting more of a 40 or 40 something range... hmm.

All the other Tales games launched at full price, except Symphonia HD. European price seems to be a tiny but cheaper than normal, so maybe $50US if you're lucky.

They also price drop/go on sale reasonably quickly. Can always hold off. I bought Symphonia HD at full price, still haven't touched it, now it's on sale for like $10. Graces has gone that cheap and I think Xillia did $20.

lol I understand. I guess to me, it felt like a chore running through them because the map areas felt big for the sake of being big, and I knew there would be almost no interesting locations or people anywhere outside of the next town or dungeon. I guess the best way to describe it is that it reminded me of games with randomly generated dungeons, which I really dislike. In comparison, the overworld in Graces felt much more populated with discoveries, people, houses, etc. and wasn't just seemingly thoughtless blobs of land surrounded by giant cliff walls.

However, I really do understand where you're coming from. To be fair, I do like farming in some of those areas, especially the very last area in the game. Getting chain encounters with three or four enemies created a lot of fun for me.

desmax

Symphonia Chronicles was 40, if I'm correct, but that was an HD Remaster game.

Just checked Amazon, and Xillia 2 seems to be full price.

I will say this, Xillia's world felt more realistic

When wandering around in the wilderness I mostly expect barren fields filled with odd bits of things scattered about :p

Completely forgot this was coming out so soon.
Anyone know how the soundtrack is? Is it more of the same Tales of stuff, or does it sound like how Elympios did in the first game? I'd really dig a jazzy Tales of Soundtrack.

Top Bottom