• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Blizzard, why do you hate South Africa, Australia, New Zealand so much.

Techies

Thank you for never giving us servers so that we could truly enjoy your games.

Heck even EA did more for us then you.

The Pope

Yeah. I would say we make up at least 8% of the market combined.
Doesn't sound like much but for games like Overwatch 8% is a lot.

xealo

Probably doesn't have a consumer base big enough that hosting a data centre in Australia would be beneficial over just having Oceania players connect to the US.

Flayer

I doubt cost is an issue, I'd say the biggest problem would be matchmaking. Unless a game is League of Legends popular you could quickly end up with a dead online mode if you restricted South Africa to its own server, for example.

The claim that Australia, New Zealand and SA make up 8% of the online player base is wildly exaggerated and has no basis in reality.

I've pretty much gotten used to playing at 200 ping in all online games, to the point where a smooth experience feels almost wrong.

bitesizedkiran

Neo Member
There are Australian servers in Overwatch and WoW, there are probably Australian servers in more but those are the only ones I have experience with. Australian servers serve all of Australia and NZ so I don't really know what you're talking about.

Noctilum

My guess is match making, because if it really is 8% for Overwatch, imagine only having access to that 8% to play with because everyone in those territories wants to have the best connection possible. No one from other countries would connect because they would then run into the same problems you are facing.

jourdy

Why not Americas server?
I am from SEA but I get only 40-70ms on Americas.

Cannot tolerating playing SEA server where there is no communication in games. And everyone wants to be Genji/Hanzo

DonF

Add South America also. Just servers on Brazil is shit. I get better ping connecting to US servers than BR servers (Chile)

Top Bottom