• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Holdings recruiting core staff for new console RPG studio, wants Unity xp

sublimit

Banned
These games will be made by adults for adults.

Adult definition can vary.It could mean senile as well.

Please wait for the right age to play the new releases.

Please be excited!
mis9jHe.jpg

Well that sure seems to explain a lot. It makes me sad to think of just how redundant this announcement would have been back in the 90s.

wrowa

If this is mid-tier games, ala The Last Remnant, count me happy.
If Itou is in any way involved, i'm donning my PSX-era fanboy hat.
.. But it's probably vain hopes.

It's going to be low-budget games pandering to otakus a la Compile Hearts, Gust and the likes :p

Zoe

Oh it makes sense now. I've never seen a japanese URL before.

Anyway even after opening 新規rpg採用.com/index.html I still see xn--rpg-l46fv4g868aqu6a.com/index.html in my address bar.

It depends on your OS and browser. Works fine in iOS/Chrome.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I'm trying to stay positive. The image they are using to announce this indicates they know the experience they are aiming to create at this new studio and I hope it's a strong sign of things to be generated from there.

I miss the glory days of Square, maybe they do too! It's in their hands to get things going again.

At least they didn't announce a new smartphone/tablet studio?

Just... please, please... don't focus on PS3. Jump right to PS4 please. Persona 5 is leading the way. The install base _will_ be there by the time there is something to release, so don't be stupid :p

duckroll

This is a recruitment ad page. It isn't an announcement for fans. Which is pretty hilarious. They're looking to recruit core staff for the studio, so whatever they're making is probably centuries away.

The job postings are for: Battle Director, Event Director, Lead Planner, Battle Planners, Lead Programmer, Programmers, Marketing Director, Technical Artists, Lead Effects Designer, Lead Animator, Lead 3DCG Character Designer, Lead 3DCG Environment Designer, Lead Menu Designer.

As we can see, they clearly haven't started at all yet. Lol.

Bastardo

If 2D, please:

Back to the Chrono Trigger

You play a secret party of time agents, who take care that the original Chrono Trigger cast doesn't mess up. You also have to take care they never see you and you have to resolve some time paradoxes they create.

This is a recruitment ad page. It isn't an announcement for fans. Which is pretty hilarious. They're looking to recruit core staff for the studio, so whatever they're making is probably centuries away.

The job postings are for: Battle Director, Event Director, Lead Planner, Battle Planners, Lead Programmer, Programmers, Marketing Director, Technical Artists, Lead Effects Designer, Lead Animator, Lead 3DCG Character Designer, Lead 3DCG Environment Designer, Lead Menu Designer.

There just started hiring don't expect anything sooner than 2-3 years.

lolololololololol

;___________;

Ramza

Banned

I wonder if any of their current staff are going to try to transition over. SE definitely has some talent, it's just being greatly misused.

Bring back Hironobu And Nobuo.
don't laugh at me

I'll just a shed a tear along with you

Oh how the mighty have fallen

Never in my wildest dreams would I of thought around the time of FFVII - FFX that someday Square-Enix ... Squaresoft, king of JRPG's would actually have to open a NEW studio to focus on console games.

But ... who knows hopefully it turns out well.

Styles

2 years until announcement of games
Another decade until they actually get released.
Or never

Seems feasible.

ibxwuDOvBO4qk3.gif

daveo42

Banned

So I'm expecting an announcement of the studio and a new game by them at TGS, followed by several years of no news about it.

dramatis

They're not hiring a scenario planner or event planners, I can't help but wonder if some story guy at Square got an idea and asked for a team to make it.

To be honest I think Square should hire new story guys too.

HeelPower

Please be excited!
mis9jHe.jpg
Or DON'T LOL

If they have the resources to move staff to a new project, they wouldn't be hiring.

Maybe they just want this new studio to be disposable in some sense.

Let's say their new attempts with this studio fail, these new people will be easier to fire and the studio easier to dissolve.If this studio were composed of core staff like
Hiryuko Ito
firing them would have a resounding effect company wide.

When did I become so sadistic

duckroll

They're not hiring a scenario planner or event planners, I can't help but wonder if some story guy at Square got an idea and asked for a team to make it.

Yes I think it is likely that the project already has a director, character artist, and scenario staff. What they are hiring for are mainly dedicated development members for the project.

zeromcd73

Yes I think it is likely that the project already has a director, character artist, and scenario staff. What they are hiring for are mainly dedicated development members for the project.
The deadline is for September 30 which seems pretty fast. Maybe they need a new team quickly or is this sort of short recruitment time period normal?

Asd202

Game Director Motomu Toriyama, Story by Daisuke Watanabe Please be excited.

ConceptX

"A new RPG studio ready to go" - Once we have some staff.

This is fairly interesting, if they create a studio that can provide the quality of SE products, but ran in an autonomous fashion, i.e, not taking 10 years, it might produce great things.

Maybe smaller games that success surprised them like Bravely Default in the west, contributed to this.

Considering the staff they need, it's unlikely the first project is anything more than an idea in someones head or a quick scribble, unless they start some ports, but I am hopeful, new blood and ideas is what SE needs.

Nikokuno

Return of Mana x SaGa and more 16bits/32bits-ish games like Bravely Default, I'm OK with this too, don't fuck with us SquEnix !

Fraxin

They seem to be hiring an Event Director, isn't that story and cutscene related?

duckroll

Looking into the actual recruitment notices for each job opening, it sounds a bit more interesting. This is a new development studio which is being set up by Square Enix Holdings. So it seems like it'll be it's own company, rather than just a team within Square Enix Japan. Hmm...

Cornbread78

Looking into the actual recruitment notices for each job opening, it sounds a bit more interesting. This is a new development studio which is being set up by Square Enix Holdings. So it seems like it'll be it's own company, rather than just a team within Square Enix Japan. Hmm...

Ya know, that could be awesome news. If they can produce decent to good games with a good dev cycle, maybe, just maybe, it can help the main branch of SE to see the error of their ways and help change their corporate culture...... BELIEVE!

Young, hungry, devs..... Bring 'em in!

dramatis

They seem to be hiring an Event Director, isn't that story and cutscene related?
If I'm not mistaken, "Event Director" is more like a guy who supervises the cutscenes, portrayals, order of events and whatnot, as well as being a 'director' he would be in charge of the 'story devs' on the team. He's unlikely to be the one who writes the story/plot himself.

For that, they usually have a Scenario Writer, who comes up with the plot outline, and the Scenario Writer can also do dialogue and/or they employ other planners to do majority of the text.

Well Watanabe was one of the scenario writers behind FFXII.
He's the guy they asked to finish the job when Matsuno left.

Guess how that went.

Top Bottom