• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Man, if I had any confidence in my ability to modify a console, I'd S-Video mod my Model 1 Genny as soon as possible.

I still think that Gunstar Heroes is the best run and gun game ever made. In terms of the gameplay, no other run and gun rivals the action and variety of what you get in Gunstar Heroes.

Amen. GH consistently throws new stuff at you right 'til the very end of the game. Such a great experience from start to finish.

Foxix Von

Man, if I had any confidence in my ability to modify a console, I'd S-Video mod my Model 1 Genny as soon as possible.

Amen. GH consistently throws new stuff at you right 'til the very end of the game. Such a great experience from start to finish.

I still need to pick this up but I have to say Contra Hard Corps is some mighty stiff competition.

It never really sat well with me how Contra Hard Corps was apparently designed around a three hit-point system (I think it's the only Contra game to even HAVE hit points), and yet that system was just excised entirely out of the Western releases. Hell, the already-easier Japan release has a button code to give you either more lives or continues (I forget which), and that was ALSO taken out of the Western release. It just sounds like the Western release was made arbitrarily harder with little regard for how balanced this would make the game.

Love the pun, though, and the music's kickass.

I still need to pick this up but I have to say Contra Hard Corps is some mighty stiff competition.

Hard Corps is legit as hell, no doubt. Has the best bosses in the series, in my opinion.

Shit, guess I'll fire it up tonight! It's been a while since I last played it, anyway.

yeah I've always preferred Hard Corps over Gunstar. Both are fine run and guns though.

Alien Soldier is great too, if you can find it... and I always liked Midnight Resistance, but the controls take a little getting used to for that one. Atomic Runner is a really early Genesis run and gun that is more fun than it looks. Oh and of course Batman and Robin, some of the level design here is a bit unbalanced but it is a solid enough game for the genre.

I could also add Vectorman, Mega Turrican and Earthworm Jim, but those are really more like platformer/ shooter hybrids than real run and gun games.

It never really sat well with me how Contra Hard Corps was apparently designed around a three hit-point system (I think it's the only Contra game to even HAVE hit points), and yet that system was just excised entirely out of the Western releases. Hell, the already-easier Japan release has a button code to give you either more lives or continues (I forget which), and that was ALSO taken out of the Western release. It just sounds like the Western release was made arbitrarily harder with little regard for how balanced this would make the game.

Love the pun, though, and the music's kickass.

The code was for more lives; you didn't need more continues, because the Japanese version has infinite continues. Of course, the Western version has both of those things removed, along with the cut to 1 hit per life.

Yes, if it wasn't for that Japanese-language story (and that Hard Corps HAS a story, and a significant amount of it too for the genre), and the region locking, there'd be no reason for anyone other than crazy masochists to consider the US release... but as is, there isn't really an ideal version. I love the game, but the US version is so insanely hard... I really wish that at least they'd left in the infinite continues! :(

Despite that though, I like the US version of Hard Corps more than I do Gunstar Heroes; it's a better game. It's my favoriite Contra game too, actually... I'm not much of a Contra fan, and prefer stuff like Metal Slug myself, so that Hard Corps is so different from the other ones is actually a good thing, in my opinion. I also might like The Adventures of Batman & Robin more than Gunstar Heroes too, though that's close... Adventures of Batman & Robin is a really good run&gun (/shmup), but also crazy-hard, and it's repetitive -- the game has great graphics, but each area's background and enemy set repeat beginning to end. Still, great game. I don't know, somehow I don't love Gunstar Heroes as much as a lot of people do (though I did really like the GBA game). It is good though, sure... but I do not agree with the "best run&gun ever" stuff.

As for Vectorman, Mega Turrican, and Earthworm Jim, those are really in between run & guns and platformers... it's some hybrid genre. Usually they get put in with platformers, even though there's certainly a lot of shooting. (Of those though, I love Turrican and Vectorman, but don't particularly care for Earthworm Jim. It's okay, but not great. I'd much rather play Universal Soldier, aka the Genesis version of Turrican 2.) If we are comparing them to the run & guns though, Mega Turrican and Vectorman would place ahead of any of them I think. I really love those games...

IrishNinja

Mr IrishNinja you need to really play Landstalker, Warsong, and Crusader of Centy.

...okay, yeah; you're pretty awesome here. played a bit've Land Stalker (Alien Soldier as well, both were in my sega collection on steam!), and that was indeed cool. i wanna revisit it, but..

i made the mistake of checking out Crusader, and...damn. that game would've been amazing had i played it back then, how did it evade me for so long? i wish i had all my old gaming mags just to see if it got slept on by all of them, or which ones tried to highlight it & i missed out on.

it's awesome. it's a shame this is the best deal i can find at the moment for it.

Seik

Banned
I think my favorite Genesis moment is the fight against the Seven Force in Gunstar Heroes, closely followed by the final fight in S3&K.

Tarin02543

I just bought the megadrive collections for ps3, I'm in Megadrive heaven right now.

So many games I couldn't afford as a kid which I'm learning about only now...E-SWAT, Kid Chameleon, Dynamite Headdy...retro bliss!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I also might like The Adventures of Batman & Robin more than Gunstar Heroes too, though that's close... Adventures of Batman & Robin is a really good run&gun (/shmup), but also crazy-hard, and it's repetitive -- the game has great graphics, but each area's background and enemy set repeat beginning to end. Still, great game.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no no no no. Technical marvel, frightfully dull game.

Into

Genesis? Nah, its the Mega Drive baby! =P

Ive been trying to find a copy of:

Mega_Man_-_The_Wily_Wars_Coverart.png

But it is really hard, Amazon.co.uk does not seem to have it =(

Shion

Sub-Terrania by Zyrinx.

One of my favorite games on the Mega Drive.

3vMKnpi.jpg

Awesome gravity shooter with clever level design and great music (composed by Jesper Kyd).

I really wish gravity shooters were more popular.

The Mega Drive was the second console I ever had (the first one was the Master System) and some games are still on the list of my favorites, like:

Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
qhKFuzy.jpg

I finished it years after I bought it, because I always had problems in the last level. It was like I maze and I thought I was running in circles.

Also one of the best games was: Probotector (which a lot of you know as Contra: Hard Corps)
3ySMH49.jpg

Instead of humans and the dog-like creature, we had robots. The game wasn't uncut (parts of the story were missing), but I still had a lot of fun. The game was hard as hell, but I still managed to see all endings after a lot of deaths.

Another game I revisit every now and then is Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, which is IMO the best Sonic game ever made.

Tain

I'm not a big fan of Gunstar Heroes. The stages are pretty dull and the lifebars are so dense that you kinda stop thinking about them.

Seik

Banned
Genesis? Nah, its the Mega Drive baby! =P

Ive been trying to find a copy of:

Mega_Man_-_The_Wily_Wars_Coverart.png

But it is really hard, Amazon.co.uk does not seem to have it =(

Well, the cheapest you'll find on Ebay is for 300$ (And this one is the JAP version, the only two MD version are 350$ and 650$. :/ )

This thread got me all hyped up for some Genesis goodness today!

I can't believe how good this thing looks even in 2013, gotta love that big '16-bit'! Add a 6-buttons controller and you're set for a perfect experience.

Seriously, this is where it's at!

7vDb3vr.jpg

I got mine modded as well, not for S-video, sadly (ain't got no TVs/HDTVs that supports it here), but this is still useful.

Su0gnnP.jpg

And a little wink to you, Into, since the game never got released here, I don't feel bad a single second about having a repro, which costs tons of times less. :p

L8y43fB.jpg

GhaleonEB

Most of my favorites have been mentioned, but I need to toss in a bit about The Sword of Vermillion. Dungeon crawls are a long love of mine - born from the first Phantasy Star on the Master System - so an entire game premised on both dungeons and structuring the entire over world as a giant dungeon was heaven for me. I actually mapped the entire over world on graph paper, taping together a half dozen sheets or so, so I could see the scope of it. The entire game was one giant first person dungeon.

It had a fast and simple yet fun combat engine, a nice level of challenge and a decent story. And the music kicked ass. Seriously.

I can trace my current love of Bethesda's games, and my still-running addiction to Skyrim, straight back to Sword of Vermillion.

woodypop

Super lame that Starblade SEGA CD not only reverses up/down when you invert the controls, but it also reverses left/right. What were they thinking?! Makes it very difficult for me to play, as I prefer inverted y axis for this type of game. =(

Krelian

I was in the mood for some Mega Drive today. Played Mickey Mania (I know, not an exclusive, but still fun). The game is a lot easier than I remembered, I made it to level 4 with hardly a scratch. It's still a beautiful game. I think I need an RGB cable though, the picture was really bad.

Seik

Banned
I was in the mood for some Mega Drive today. Played Mickey Mania (I know, not an exclusive, but still fun). The game is a lot easier than I remembered, I made it to level 4 with hardly a scratch. It's still a beautiful game. I think I need an RGB cable though, the picture was really bad.

I feel you. I still play mine on a good old CRT but it is slowly dying. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Everytime I see this thread bumped I get so excited.

I've been on a huge Sega kick in recent months, and just as I was about to dip back into the Genesis/Mega Drive side of things, this thread appeared. I think it's made me a little insane.... I'm going to my retro game shop tomorrow to look for Genesis titles..........

IrishNinja

haha, me & boco are on the same page here

0 for 4 on auctions today...i should prolly stick more to CL, garage sales & such, but getting sniped out of Valis 3, Fatal Labyrinth & a few others sucks. any other good resources for cheap/loose carts?

ps crap im glad Wily Wars isnt on my list

I was very nearly a Sega fanboy, I longed for a Genesis, turned on my NES... but then the SNES was announced, and I stayed in the House of Nintendo.

Still, much love for Genesis. I just bought a High Definition Graphics model 1 to replace my crappy model 2, so I'll be having a Genny marathon in a few days. :D

I'll be playing The Immortal, the prequel to Dark Souls.

Here's the lot I just won

BocoDragon

haha, me & boco are on the same page here

0 for 4 on auctions today...i should prolly stick more to CL, garage sales & such, but getting sniped out of Valis 3, Fatal Labyrinth & a few others sucks. any other good resources for cheap/loose carts?

I dunno! Good question!!.. I even have quite a few retro game shops nearby, but Genesis pickings are slim these days (and don't even ask about Master System, Saturn or Dreamcast games ;P)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread. The Megadrive/Genesis always seems to get a bit over shadowed by all the love for the SNES.

I played through Sonic 2 to completion for the first time last year and am powering through Phantasy Star IV at the moment. The back catalog of quality games is so good.

Baconbitz

Banned
I went down a wierd rabbit hole a few years ago researching the various Sega Genesii and their differing sound qualities.

If you're really into getting the good sound, you want the one actually labelled "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" (it wasn't on all the Genesis 1s), and lacking copyright protection screen at the beginning. The Walkman-style headphone jack gives it great bass. Pop in SoR2.

I must correct you as I have a model 1 Genesis. Not all the Genesis with the "HIGH DEFINTION GRAPHICS" on them lack a copyright protection. Mine has the copyright protection.

On another topic does thunder force IV feature Co-op? I'm still trying to find this side scrolling alien shooter for the genesis that my Brother and friend played back in the day and I think this might be it.

I must correct you as I have a model 1 Genesis. Not all the Genesis with the "HIGH DEFINTION GRAPHICS" on them lack a copyright protection. Mine has the copyright protection.

On another topic does thunder force IV feature Co-op? I'm still trying to find this side scrolling alien shooter for the genesis that my Brother and friend played back in the day and I think this might be it.

Thunder Force IV (aka Lightening Force) is one player only.

BocoDragon

You are right but you didn't correct me. Perhaps I should have made it clearer.

To get the good sound you want the one that fulfills both conditions:

1. says High Definition Graphics

and

2. Doesn't have the copyright protection screen

Obviously these things are incidental to sound quality, but they have been proven to identify that the internal sound component is the one considered by the online community to have the best sound. When they added the copyright protection, they changed the supplier of the sound processor.

and

Obviously these things are incidental to sound quality, but they have been proven to identify that the internal sound component is the one considered by the online community to have the best sound. When they added the copyright protection, they changed the supplier of the sound processor.
According to this http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones
all model 1s with HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS have good sound, it's the ones without it that stink

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

and

I thought that changed in the revision that removed the EXT port. I have a GEN1 with the HD graphics label, the BIOS screen, and an EXT port.

.la1n

I have Hard Corps... it's hard as fuck.

I love it.

That reminds me it's been so long since I played that game. One of the best Contras in my opinion. Not sure if it's just nostalgia, need to dust off the Genesis and get into it. I also want to play through Rocket Knight Adventures again, been quite some time since I played it but I remember it being a ton of fun.

BocoDragon

According to this http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones
all model 1s with HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS have good sound, it's the ones without it that stink

I thought that changed in the revision that removed the EXT port. I have a GEN1 with the HD graphics label, the BIOS screen, and an EXT port.

Ah you might be right. The Genesis internals are all over the place.. It's hard to keep this stuff straight.

So maybe a HDG model with copy protection still has good sound?

But personally I don't want copy protection anyway ;) Might limit your import options or make the console a bit more fussy about how you seat the cart in the slot.

I have no experience with the Sega CD. I'm thinking of getting one for use with my model 1... is there any big difference between the model 1 and 2 Sega CD units? I think I'd prefer the model 1 because it looks like it goes better with the model 1 console.

BocoDragon

I have no experience with the Sega CD. I'm thinking of getting one for use with my model 1... is there any big difference between the model 1 and 2 Sega CD units? I think I'd prefer the model 1 because it looks like it goes better with the model 1 console.

I think the first works just fine as far as the game quality is concerned. But due to the slot loader, it might be a bit more delicate.

I want a model 1 Sega CD too. I have the model 2, but it does look wierd with the model 1 genesis (which has better sound, as said above).

The problem is that I never see model 1s anywhere.

edit: I want to add that my Sega CD 2 I got off craigslist 3 years ago plays games like a champ. I always think it's funny when people assume that consoles with moving parts are destined to die eventually... but here's this 20 year old CD console that boots with no issues.

The only game I cared greatly for that I haven't seen any love in this thread for is Ristar.
Ristar_final.PNG

Sonic Team's forgotten child.

Dynamite Headdy, Vectorman, Pulseman, and Tempo on 32X are all games that don't get enough love.

Also I remember loving Greendog as a kid, but good god it's visually apalling:
Greendog%20-%20The%20Beached%20Surfer%20Dude%20(GS).gif

I think the first works just fine as far as the game quality is concerned. But due to the slot loader, it might be a bit more delicate.

I want a model 1 Sega CD too. I have the model 2, but it does look wierd with the model 1 genesis (which has better sound, as said above).

The problem is that I never see model 1s anywhere.

yeah I don't think there's any internal differences between the model 1 and 2 aside from one being a front loader and the other being a top loader. I'm sure the top loader is a little more durable because it doesn't have an extra drive motor that opens and closes the front CD tray, but that is about it.

Here's a photo of my model 1 Genesis and model 2 Sega CD (sorry about the size). This is actually my original Sega Genesis that I have owned since... I don't know, 1990? I bought the Sega CD second hand years later after my original one stopped working:

And it doesn't look too bad if you can find an extension piece that fits under the Genesis model 1 so it doesn't hang over.

BocoDragon

And it doesn't look too bad if you can find an extension piece that fits under the Genesis model 1 so it doesn't hang over.

I have all the original pieces.. (so basically the setup you have there)... And that looks alright. But it definitely looks a lot more cohesive when you pair that Sega CD 2 with a Sega Genesis 2 (too bad the quality of Genny 2 sucks).

I definitely would spring for the Sega CD 1 if I saw a working one in the wild...

I do know there are many who are most proud of the Gen 1 and CD 2 combo, though. If you add the 32X, Sega16.com peeps call it "The Super Battleship Formation" :p

IrishNinja

hey so for real, how to play imports? i was eying this auction cause of ESWAT, Wrestle War & what i think is Truxton (i dont mind Vermillion in japanese, ill never play it again anyway) but i dunno if it'd be worth the trouble to boot em up

BocoDragon

hey so for real, how to play imports? i was eying this auction cause of ESWAT, Wrestle War & what i think is Truxton (i dont mind Vermillion in japanese, ill never play it again anyway) but i dunno if it'd be worth the trouble to boot em up

Some of the earliest Japanese Mega Drive games don't even have copy protection.. they just have a different shaped carts. (ie Sonic 1). You could just pop the top off the Genesis to play them.

Otherwise I think Game Genie codes exist to run nearly any import (and that also solves the different-shaped cart problem).

Or you can mod your Genesis with a switch. Here's the thing, all the models of Genesis/Megadrive have a setting on the motherboard for JPN/USA/EUR, but only one is connected. You can install a switch that toggles between the 3 if you really like. This is pretty good because some games would be the same cart in all regions, but displays different title screens, languages, etc, depending on what switch it finds toggled on the motherboard.

This thread seems to have most of the details.

Some of the earliest Japanese Mega Drive games don't even have copy protection.. they just have a different shaped carts. (ie Sonic 1). You could just pop the top off the Genesis to play them.

And it's not 'copy protection' it's license protection. Early EA games were made without license from Sega, IIRC.

BocoDragon

And it's not 'copy protection' it's license protection. Early EA games were made without license from Sega, IIRC.

I guess I should have said region lock. The earliest Sega games didn't have a digital region lock, just a physical region lock (cart shape).

Baconbitz

Banned
Man, this reminds me. I have some sports games that I tried to sell on gaf last year. Sports games seem so hard to sell. Anyone interested? I'll post more details tomorrow as I'm on my 3DS.

I definitely would spring for the Sega CD 1 if I saw a working one in the wild...

I do know there are many who are most proud of the Gen 1 and CD 2 combo, though. If you add the 32X, Sega16.com peeps call it "The Super Battleship Formation" :p

I have never owned a 32x, but I have contemplated finding one. Though it's such a pain to find one with all the necessary components. But I don;t blame you for wanting to find a Sega CD 1 unit. Once in a while they do show up on ebay, but they usually aren't cheap compared to the model 2's.

As said before, Modding your Genesis or using the Game Genie tricks are probably the best way to go, unless you go and track down a real Japanese Mega Drive. There were a few different region cartridges available over the years for the Genesis:

http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_Region_Converter

But unfortunately most are hard to come by these days.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Reading through this thread made me all nostalgic so I went back and played Streets of Rage. I felt bad because I was actually having trouble with some of the bosses. I kept botching my timing with the crossover versus Big Ben, and I was messing up the fight against the two Freddy Kreugers at the end of the factory. I remember being a lot better at this game when I was a high school kid. Mona and Lisa are still as exploitable as ever, though. =D

Finally beat the game, though (on normal! \(^_^)/ ). Getting a hankering for some Wonderboy now...

Top Bottom