• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Switch won't replace 3DS, there's "many unannounced titles" in development

No maybe thats what you talking about, i was talking about third party games pushing the 3ds instead of the switch with dedicated projects

and ofc a release date matters, a nothing saying teaser without even a year is like less support at this point then ea and cant be comprared to a title that is gonna release these year
I disagree in the long run. Atlus will provide better support than EA in the end I think. Unless Switch because some sort of shovelware house somehow.

120v

The whole "Nintendo is combining their handheld and console teams for the Switch" was only something I ever saw stated by fans. Did Nintendo ever say anything to that effect? What's keeping 3DS from living to the end of 2018, if not further on?

"But GBA, but GBA!" The GBA was one of three consoles Nintendo put on the market. 3DS is one of two, one of which will have an install base of only few million by the start of 2018. You're telling me Nintendo is going to give up 65 million customers for the 10 million (if it's successful) the Switch will have going into next year? Lolno.

its been stated by nintendo themselves the goal is to consolidate all dev resources. how that metes out as 3DS phases out is arguable but its not fanboy conjecture

and it doesnt necessarily matter what kind of install base you have going onto a seventh year of a console. just because people bought the thing doesnt mean theyre all still buying software. some devs will move on just on virtue of getting tired with hardware limitations. 3DS has a few years left but reality is its winding down

Ninferno

Oh come on, we all know that they aren't ready to kill off the 3DS just yet which is their current biggest platform, so of course they will keep denying that Switch is replacing the 3DS. Let's be fair, it really isn't the Switch that is replacing the 3DS, the Switch Lite (non-detachable controls, no dock, smaller form factor, longer battery life, lower price point) is. So technically they aren't lying about the Switch (as in, vanilla Switch) not replacing the 3DS. Are we cool with that? :)

orioto

Good Art™
Continue that little game Nintendo, continue..

When the Switch never reaches success cause you didn't have balls to fully invest in it, you'll think about it.

Everyone thinks this is talk and Switch has to be the successor, but did you ever see a console maker saying "i can't say my new console will have all the games, you should continue to trust the old one" ?

Did you hear Sony saying "i can't say PS4 will have Uncharted you know, we're still working on PS3 big games"

If Switch dies early, it'll be basically cause Nintendo didn't embrace it as its new main console.

good. If that's the case than the system looks even less likely to succeed from the get go which means there is a chance for "Nintendo panic mode". If this results in forcing the company to slash the price significantly, implement proper OS and drop online fee, than it's all the better for the players.

Is this a parody post or do you actually believe that all of those things have a minimum chance of actually happen because of this?

Guys, it's always been like this with new consoles, PS2 was still getting titles when PS3 launched too, that's just how it works for the first years. Specially when one of the consoles was so successful.

Scrawnton

When the Switch never reaches success cause you didn't have balls to fully invest in it, you'll think about it.

Everyone thinks this is talk and Switch has to be the successor, but did you ever see a console maker saying "i can't say my new console will have all the games, you should continue to trust the old one" ?

Did you hear Sony saying "i can't say PS4 will have Uncharted you know, we're still working on PS3 big games"

If Switch dies early, it'll be basically cause Nintendo didn't embrace it as its new main console.

Sony released Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 after PS4 launched.

Instro

The whole "Nintendo is combining their handheld and console teams for the Switch" was only something I ever saw stated by fans. Did Nintendo ever say anything to that effect? What's keeping 3DS from living to the end of 2018, if not further on?

"But GBA, but GBA!" The GBA was one of three consoles Nintendo put on the market. 3DS is one of two, one of which will have an install base of only few million by the start of 2018. You're telling me Nintendo is going to give up 65 million customers for the 10 million (if it's successful) the Switch will have going into next year? Lolno.

You can make this arguement about any piece of hardware.

And no the combined software idea is not something fans made up.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This happens with most console launches. I'm not seeing the problem. We haven't had a negative switch thread in two weeks though so I'm game. We've been having a lot of Nintendo apologist threads though lately.

It's the circle of life 🤔

The price of the Switch isn't conductive for it to be a 3DS replacement right now; Nintendo can't expect a lot of the Pokemon audience to buy a $300 piece of hardware, for instance. But it's hard to envision some sort of 4DS in the future and the Switch seems poised to take over the role of their portable platform if Nintendo can get the price down.

If they take the Dock ($90) and HDMI cord ($5-10) out of the box and sell a Handheld-centric Switch for ~$200 in a year or something, they'll be set. And then those kids that bought $200 SwitchGos can save up $90 and get a Dock and ta-da, they have the whole package.

lenovox1

You can make this arguement about any piece of hardware.

And no the combined software idea is not something fans made up.

The only company that's ever straight up abandoned a piece of hardware after they've released a successor in modern gaming times is Microsoft with the OG Xbox. And now Nintendo with the Wii U.

Regardless, the 3DS was always going to have continued software support from Nintendo.

orioto

Good Art™
Sony released Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 after PS4 launched.

But did they tell you "i can't confirm PS4 will replace PS3" ?

The problem with the Switch, as a said since the reveal, is that the console doesn't have a clear identity. We're all assuming, but we don't know if that console will be a WiiU2 or a 3ds2, game wise, and that's not the same thing at all.

What i'm saying is, by not saying to people, "all nintendo games will be on Switch in the future", they are letting that ambiguity stay.

That's pretty clear. This is a case of a firm not believing in their own new product. SO Why should I be believing in it then..

shira

B4sMg57.jpg

#bulkygamerheadset

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Denying that the Switch is the 3DS successor, is only going to sell more 3DS, and less Switch. Furthermore, it was then a waste to even make the Switch what it is, a dockable handheld.

Once Nintendo decided to make the Switch as realized, they should've been all in on marketing it as the replacement to both the WiiU and 3DS.

HotHamBoy

Like Pokémon Stars, right?
Yeah I know Eurogamer are confident it will be Switch exclusive, but plans change!

See, I don't buy this. Stars would be a big Switch seller. Releasing it on 3DS would dampen Switch sales in much the same way Breath of the Wild being on Wii U has made people like myself decide to wait on buying a Switch.

Denying that the Switch is the 3DS successor, is only going to sell more 3DS, and less Switch. Furthermore, it was then a waste to even make the Switch what it is, a dockable handheld.

Once Nintendo decided to make the Switch as realized, they should've been all in on marketing it as the replacement to both the WiiU and 3DS.

They said the DS was not a successor to the GBA and it did gangbusters and ended up being the successor after all. This third pillar talk is a safety net.

Switch is defintely more of a Wii U successor. It's too expensive to be their flagship handheld.

See, I don't buy this. Stars would be a big Switch seller. Releasing it on 3DS would dampen Switch sales in much the same way Breath of the Wild being on Wii U has made people like myself decide to wait on buying a Switch.
...Somehow, I doubt Breath of the Wild being on the Wii U is making too many people hold off on getting a Switch. Like with Twilight Princess, it'll be mostly associated with the newer system, not the previous one, and sell significantly more there to boot

But I'd still expect some DS-like features added in, like dual screens and perhaps backwards compatibility

I don't think dual screens will make a comeback if Nintendo did opt to make a more portable version of the Switch as a 3DS successor. It wasn't that big of a deal on the 3DS and was mostly used for games' HUD/UI/Menus, which can be made up for somewhat through a larger higher res capacitive touch screen. Screens also use up a lot of a portable's power, and while it may have been somewhat okay to have two extremely low res displays on the 3DS, it's not really practical anymore when the Switch only lasts 3 hours with a much larger battery.

Rncewind

They said the DS was not a successor to the GBA and it did gangbusters and ended up being the successor after all. This third pillar talk is a safety net.

Switch is defintely more of a Wii U successor. It's too expensive to be their flagship handheld.

but only like 13 people have a wiiu

HotHamBoy

...Somehow, I doubt Breath of the Wild being on the Wii U is making too many people hold off on getting a Switch. Like with Twilight Princess, it'll be mostly associated with the newer system, not the previous one, and sell significantly more there to boot

People didn't buy a Wii because of Twilight Princess, they bought Twilight Princess on Wii because they already wanted a Wii. And they wanted a Wii for Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3.

but only like 13 people have a wiiu

Actually, over 12 million people have a Wii U.

lenovox1

But did they tell you "i can't confirm PS4 will replace PS3" ?

The problem with the Switch, as a said since the reveal, is that the console doesn't have a clear identity. We're all assuming, but we don't know if that console will be a WiiU2 or a 3ds2, game wise, and that's not the same thing at all.

What i'm saying is, by not saying to people, "all nintendo games will be on Switch in the future", they are letting that ambiguity stay.

That's pretty clear. This is a case of a firm not believing in their own new product. SO Why should I be believing in it then..

If we're talking about messaging and intent, let's pull it all the way back to the beginning of this thread again and say, "They did the same thing with the DS."

For you as the consumer and enthusiast, at the end of the day, it's the type of games that should matter. Not the language a CEO is using in an investor's meeting to assure shareholders that they are not abandoning their multi-billion dollar Nintendo DS business.

What is this in reference to?
When Nintendo announced the Nintendo DS, they insisted it was not going to replace the GameBoy Advance that was already available at the time. They claimed they would have three pillars: GBA, NDS and GCN (GameCube) that'd co-exist, and all three systems would be supported with new games. In the end, the GBA only received a little bit of support after the NDS launched, and was quickly dropped. I hope the same happens with 3DS and Switch. The 3DS is already 6 years old. It needs to be dropped in favour of the new Switch. They need to go all-in for this new system.

I don't think dual screens will make a comeback if Nintendo did opt to make a more portable version of the Switch as a 3DS successor. It wasn't that big of a deal on the 3DS and was mostly used for games' HUD/UI/Menus, which can be made up for somewhat through a larger higher res capacitive touch screen. Screens also use up a lot of a portable's power, and while it may have been somewhat okay to have two of them on the 3DS's extremely low res screens, it's not really practical when the Switch only lasts 3 hours with one and a large battery.
Hmm...but that'd be assuming a 3DS successor would use 720p screens. Personally, I would expect 540p for the top screen and a lower resolution for the bottom screen (Thinking 480p). Yeah, the dual-screens aren't really a big deal for most games but it's what defines the DS line of handhelds. At least, that's what I was thinking of when it comes to the 3DS successor

People didn't buy a Wii because of Twilight Princess, they bought Twilight Princess on Wii because they already wanted a Wii. And they wanted a Wii for Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3
I didn't say people bought a Wii for Twilight Princess, although some did. I said significantly more people bought it on the Wii instead of the much cheaper GameCube. I'm pretty confident the same will happen here, especially with the Wii U haven't sold as poorly as it did

...yeah, I don't think many people bought a Wii for Metroid, at least nowhere near as many that bought one for Zelda

They have to say that. 3DS has been their primary money maker for the last five years. Switch isn't even out yet. Wii U is literally discontinued. Their smart device business is still in it's infancy.

Nintendo is completely dependent on 3DS until Switch takes off and becomes a solid, steady business for them. But it won't be right away.

But their A teams are certainly focused on Switch software. We've seen 3DS more and more recently depend soley on B tier franchises and quick sequels. Pokemon is the exception to that, since that team has historically only ever made core installments for handhelds.

Terrell

Nintendo EPD has released Miitopia, Tank Troopers, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo all within 6 weeks. Super Mario Maker 3DS also (although Nintendo Software Technology did most of the work.)

That's a lot of releases, even if they are B-C scale.

If you have to add a re-released game with nothing more than an amiibo support patch, the list isn't all that impressive. And all of those games make my point: internal EPD teams really aren't investing their time in the platform. Aside from Miitopia, everything is a port, a re-release or a game made by a non-EPD team. Perhaps more than one of those at the same time.

The title doesn't seem to match the statement at all.

The title says the Switch won't replace the 3DS and there are many unannounced titles in development.

The statement says that they do have "many" unannounced titles in development, but that they are focused on existing IP and leveraging the existing hardware base (i.e. they are done with growth and are now riding it a little longer).

The question isn't "Will the 3DS disappear by March 15th, 2017", it's "Is the 3DS moving into its natural sunset phase, and as it does will it be replaced with a DS3 or will Nintendo move to being a single hardware company?"

And I think most of us know the answer but aren't willing to say it.

1. EAD is 2015 man. Get with the times. EPD.
2. We don't know what team is behind Pikmin 3DS. Nothing was confirmed.
3. What does Mario Maker being a "downgraded port" mean. It's a Japan million seller. The point is the impact here.
4. Tank Troopers is a fun game. You're lucky that it exists.

The topic being discussed is about 3DS reducing Nintendo's available workforce for that platform instead of Switch, not whether said software is impactful. This is bordering on moving goalposts.

Overreact much?

Morts

These statements actually make the Switch less attractive to me. I want all of their teams 100% focused on one platform rather than divided. If they did that I wouldn't even mind the lack of major third party support.

oti

Banned
Of course they will. Why ignored a big install base.

It's the same as when PS4 and Xbox one came out. Games were still being released for previous gen

Na-ah. If Nintendo won't throw the 3DS in the trash, Switch is DOA. That's what I've read on here and that's what the Youtubers are saying. It must be true.

Kilvas

It was good on ds. They still abandoned it.

Pokemon literally just came out and sold great. We even have Fire Emblem Warriors coming for both systems. If Switch sells like the Wii I'll absolutely admit that the 3DS will be put to rest by the end of the fiscal year, but I just don't see that happening. Too many people own the system. You could very well see PS2 levels of support even after Nintendo stops.

Rncewind

Pokemon literally just came out and sold great. We even have Fire Emblem Warriors coming for both systems. If Switch sells like the Wii I'll absolutely admit that the 3DS will be put to rest by the end of the fiscal year, but I just don't see that happening. Too many people own the system. You could very well see PS2 levels of support even after Nintendo stops.

exactly, im not sold on this all japanese third parties abandon ship from all other plattforms and go switch exclusiv or something when the switch is not doing well, even if nintendo decide to fully only develop for switch in 2018 (which i still doubt) that doesnt mean all other devs go this route as well

Hmm...but that'd be assuming a 3DS successor would use 720p screens. Personally, I would expect 540p for the top screen and a lower resolution for the bottom screen (Thinking 480p). Yeah, the dual-screens aren't really a big deal for most games but it's what defines the DS line of handhelds. At least, that's what I was thinking of when it comes to the 3DS successor

This is under the assumption that a 3DS successor would use the Switch's architecture (it absolutely would, not doing so would be dumb, even for Nintendo). Having a dual screen with different resolutions from the Switch's undocked mode is an unnecessary customization/hardware profile to have to make for a largely dated gimmick that many people don't care about. I would also argue the original DS was much more defined by touch than it was by the dual screens (despite the name), which is evident seeing as the market it managed to pull in was able to easily translate over to single display touchscreen phones. Hell, even the best selling recent game on 3DS only uses the second screen as a glorified menu.

Everyone with the successful legacy hardware talks about how the old owners are still going to be provided for with new experiences. Hell, many times over the years we've seen entirely new hardware models released after the successor.

I doubt it would be too hard to find similar quotes, if it were possible to find quotes at all. Where would one find company press releases or presentation transcripts going back decades?
If they take the Dock ($90) and HDMI cord ($5-10) out of the box and sell a Handheld-centric Switch for ~$200 in a year or something, they'll be set. And then those kids that bought $200 SwitchGos can save up $90 and get a Dock and ta-da, they have the whole package.
The $90 dock included the AC adapter and HDMI cable, so you've double erased the HDMI and left a person with no AC adapter.

oti

Banned
So much for the "3DS developers going to the Switch" crowd.
They will go there. And continuing support for the 3DS doesn't mean those developers won't support the Switch as well. If anything having the huge 3DS install base will help them invest into Switch more freely.

Why can't the Switch just play eshop 3DS games, then you get both customers!
That would be nice. Nintendo should help developers to port their 3DS games on Switch and enhance them, if that is technically possible that is.

That's true, there's that one.

I just don't wanna see Picross e8 when we could be getting Switchcross
How would Switchcross even work though. 🤔

Rncewind

This is under the assumption that a 3DS successor would use the Switch's architecture (it absolutely would, not doing so would be dumb, even for Nintendo). Having a dual screen with different resolutions from the Switch's undocked mode is an unnecessary customization/hardware profile to have to make for a largely dated gimmick that many people don't care about. I would also argue the original DS was much more defined by touch than it was by the dual screens (despite the name), which is evident seeing as the market it managed to pull in was able to easily translate over to single display touchscreen phones. Hell, even the best selling recent game on 3DS only uses the second screen as a glorified menu.

well i cant exactly dissagree but the calmshell design and touchscreen in games (like map on second screeen, something which woorks waaaaaaay better on a 3ds then on a wiiu tablet + television) were very good features for me on the 3ds, much more then "defining" feature of a 3ds, 3d, which i did not turn on since launch

PtM

Banned
well i cant exactly dissagree but the calmshell design and touchscreen in games (like map on second screeen, something which woorks waaaaaaay better on a 3ds then on a wiiu tablet + television) were very good features for me on the 3ds, much more then "defining" feature of a 3ds, 3d, which i did not turn on since launch
Better savour that 3DS then, dual screens aren't going to stay. It would weaken their synergy efforts.

I feel that, I don't hate dual screen gaming. I'm actually pretty annoyed by how Splatoon 2's map/super jumping is so heavily downgraded from the first game and I do like having a map/inventory on the bottom screen for something like OoT 3D. I just don't think it's realistic to expect it to stick around when more creative uses of it seen on the DS have become really rare and most of the things its used for are easily translated to a single touchscreen.

People are getting mad/confused about this but this is the same company that released a major Pokemon game on the DS in the first year of the 3DS.

orioto

Good Art™
People are getting mad/confused about this but this is the same company that released a major Pokemon game on the DS in the first year of the 3DS.

except again, everyone is making wrong comparisons. The situation is new cause the Switch is also the new home console.

There was no doubt the 3ds would have a nds like library. Same as the nds wasn't a gamecube follow up. We didn't wonder what was it, and there wasn't debate about it like there are now.

If there is a debate, it means there is a problem. If people tell you "wait.. what game will have the switch then ?" there is a problem.

dafodeu

I don't know if it is a safety thing, I think switch really isn't the replacement. Remember when they said DS wasn't a replacement for GBA that was a much different situation, the GBA was only 3 years old so coming out with a replacement system in 3 years would have really upset and turned Nintendo fans off. 3ds is 6 years old there is no reason to say Switch isn't a replacement unless it really isn't.

I bet we will get DS3 in 2018 that will be a handheld first but tv support like vita does. I think this is Nintendo's real plan. Some gamers only like handhelds and some only like consoles, why not keep selling 2 hardware products but have them both be able to do handheld and console? That way console players can play switch and ds3 on their tv and handheld players can play switch and ds3 in handheld mode. It just makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom