• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft WiiU trailer - X (Takahashi x Tanaka x Sawano, Xenoblade x/multiplayer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerudoman

Impressive, even if the scenarios shown aren't as gorgeous as the ones in Xenoblade. I don't like the MMO approach nor mechas, but I guess I'll have to make an exception with this one. Xenoblade is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

onilink88

monolithsoftnewgameinde.jpg

Top left corner of the screen (0:54 in the trailer). What might that be? A ship (read: UFO :p), maybe?

ironcreed

Banned
It's a good sign for the Wii U. If Nintendo keeps pumping out exclusives like this, it will be a must own, regardless of how under powered it may be. Glad I opted to wait on picking one up, but this is making me lean back toward wanting one for sure.

Impressive, even if the scenarios shown aren't as gorgeous as the ones in Xenoblade. I don't like the MMO approach nor mechas, but I guess I'll have to make an exception with this one. Xenoblade is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

We've only seen a couple minutes of the game...

Hopefully the character and armor design isn't going to be another hot mess like Xenoblade. Honestly, the whole cast and all of their armor designs looked like someone drank paint and vomited on them.

Now I don't want Gears of War brown leather dudes, but show some sense of restraint and taste.

Also Xenoblade was a horrible horrible game when it came to actually necessitating the intricate battle system. You could just steam through most of the game right up until the end game where you suddenly had to use techniques and skills that were completely useless in the main campaign.

I loved the world, exploration, environmental design but absolutely detested the characters, their idiotic design, the one dimensional personas and the story just got absolutely mind bogglingly idiotic towards the end. Seriously, it felt like a big satire rather than a genuinely enjoyable conclusion.

What I want from this:

-Make skills and special abilities a necessity throughout the game, not for the last 4 boss fights
- Please create characters that have more than one emotional trait
- Keep the sense of wonder and discovery from Xenoblade
- Don't try to compensate for shitty characters with a needlessly convoluted story that makes no sense and makes the characters look even more pathethic.
- Go nuts on the environments. The things they've shown so far are allready great, but going by Xenoblade there is still a lot in store for us, so have at it.
- Keep all the good stuff from xenoblade (time dial, tons of sidequests, great combat system) and build upon those features.

Caelestis

I certainly did not expect to wake up to this awesomeness. I just hope Nontendo won't play around with NA this time like they did with Project Rainfall games.

batbeg

True, im hoping Nintendo's simultaneous release attitude towards Pokemon X and Y spreads to this as well.

Waiting for Xenoblade to release in Europe was not a fun experience.

Nintendo dedicating the resources towards a worldwide revered studio for quick localization would be incredible. I am getting a little hopeful between the Pokemon announcement, the marketing for Fire Emblem (presumably in preparation of FExSMT and a greater western brand awareness campaign) and this announcement, but I'd love for Nintendo to realize one of the best opportunities they have to reach out to the hardcore market is rpgs.

Magnus

Looks absolutely gorgeous. The kind of visuals, scope, speed and design I expected from FFXIII years ago.

It's too bad that music was brutal. I really liked Xenoblade's OST, from what little I heard of it.

Caesnd

It is also very similar to the X in Xenoblade but with a second brush stroke at the bottom instead of just the one.

I would bet on it either being a new entry in the overall Xeno brand or xenoblade 2

Well, the Xenoblade "X" is monochrome, so the correlation wasn't as imidiate for me as with Xenogears. Of course, the rest of the trailer is a different story.

I'm not really trying to imply this is in any way related to Xenogears though.

Meier

This looks fantastic! I still need to finish Xenoblade actually... not enough time in the day. Somehow I need to convert my PAL save to a NTSC one so I can hopefully continue playing it on the Wii U once I unload my Wii.

I can't wait for this game. Unfortunately, I'm guessing it'll be 2014 (probably second half) before we see it. Especially in the US. Still, I can't wait to get more details on it. The game has amazing distance to it. I wonder how far along this build actually is.

Pejo

Well, this was one of the reasons i got a WiiU at launch, and so far i'm very very pleased with what we know.

I'm cruising through Xenoblade Chronicles right now for the first time and loving every single second with it.

Granted there isn't a ton to go off of right now, but my affinity for Xenoblade is really making me worry a little about the multiplayer/MonHun vibe from this new game. Not that I think it wouldn't be a fun outing in itself, but I think the story, characters, and old school JRPG feel with a fun battle system is what makes me like Xenoblade so much. If they turn this into a more arcadey co-op monster romp with a minimalist story, I will be a little disappointed.

Also, not really liking that gun/sword switching thing so much, not sure why.

Looks pretty good, pretty much a next gen Xenobl-

Mother fucking sweet ass transforming mechs

FUCK

I don't wanna get a Wii U goddammit fuck you Monolith Soft you magnificent assholes.

One of my biggest complaints with Xenoblade was that you8 had no vehicles to traverse the environments with and well now that that complaints fucking gone I guess I have to pony up the money to get this.

Godammit,

Syrinx

I have to agree with EatChildren's desire for a more vibrant, diverse color palette. Other than that, trailer looked really good. Reminded me a lot of Xenoblade, which is a very good thing. Interested in learning more.

OryoN

The only thing that worries me about this game is the artstyle. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible for the most part, but it also looks a little more dark and washed out than Xenoblade. It has more of that "dark, gritty, and serious" tone to it. It's a minor concern, though.

The only thing it needs is that colour palette steering away from brown back to Xenoblade's vibrancy.

Well, in fairness, it could be a combination of two things:

1) The quality of the trailer itself. I remembered TW-101, and Pikmin original trailers were a bit washed out looking at E3, but high quality videos from the show-floor were considerably more vibrant.

2) The game IS still in development afterall. Choice of palette can change, and graphical touches are usually implemented later in the development cycle, as you all know. To mention TW-101 as an example again, most people seem to notice a bump in detail/sharpness/vibrancy in the recent trailer. No reason to think this won't happen with Monolith's game. I personally don't see Monolith displaying such incredible vistas, only to tarnish them with a bland palette in the final game. That's just not their style.

batbeg

Honne probably did design for this too though. Personally, I'll rather Honne work on a platform where it is more practical for them to use 2D graphics. 2D RPGs are a dying artform on consoles. There's a much better chance of Honne's game having hand painted style backgrounds if it's on the 3DS. Like how Bravely Default looks. :D

I'm excited for his output on 3ds as well and expect incredible results, but I'm selfish and want him everywhere :(

Well, the Xenoblade "X" is monochrome, so the correlation wasn't as imidiate for me as with Xenogears. Of course, the rest of the trailer is a different story.

I'm not really trying to imply this is in any way related to Xenogears though.

Yeah I think that type of X is just there way of hammering home that it is indeed a xeno game without actually coming out and saying it directly. Doubt it really has a whole lot to do with how related it may or may not be to previous entrys in the xeno name.

yami4ct

Given the lack of giants in the distance outdoors, I highly doubt this is a direct sequel to Xenoblade. When you were outside in that game, you could always see Bionis or Mechonis in the distance.

My one hope is that they fix the side quest system. It got so boring in Xenoblade, even when I was only doing then here and there. Being online could fix that, but I want fewer and more varied side quests. Also, fix the crafting.

beril

Hopefully the character and armor design isn't going to be another hot mess like Xenoblade. Honestly, the whole cast and all of their armor designs looked like someone drank paint and vomited on them.

Now I don't want Gears of War brown leather dudes, but show some sense of restraint and taste.

What armor? Swimming Oil for life

KarmaCow

I was worried that this game would be like Xenoblade's battle system with the player only controlling one character a time but online kinda eases my concerns. Still I wonder how they are going to handle it.

levitan

Though I have zero interests in most Nintendo games/hardwares, this one look just too good...now I may need to get a WiiU first instead of getting a PS4/nextbox...

Seriously though, this is what the japanese JRPG developers should have been doing for PS360...finally stepping up the game eh? S-E, are you seeing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom