• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Vita version of Rayman Legends is missing content from the other versions

casmith07

Still you'd think Ubi would want to clear this up right away.

I agree. Which is why I don't think it's legitimate yet.

Hate to break this to you, but publishers don't send content incomplete versions of their games to people for review with no mention of it in the review guide or by PR. Especially not two different versions with different content without any mention as to why.

How do we know it was a copy sent for review?

Wouldn't IGN or another major publication already have their review and have it published as well, if there were any embargoes lifted?

I think it's fishy. It seems to me that this "reviewer" might have an alpha or beta copy, maybe one of the copies that journalists get for impressions/previews, and attempting to pass it off as a review.

Just seems weird to me that the only source of this allegation is one rando out there on some blog that nobody's ever heard of.

VanWinkle

If it's an issue of the cart not having enough space, then I hope they'll do the right thing and add the invaded levels via a patch.

If it's an issue of the cart not having enough space, then I hope they'll do the right thing and add the invaded levels via a patch.

I feel like if they were planning to do this they wouldn't have kept the missing levels secret. They could have just said "hey you'll need to patch the game to get these levels!"

Why not?
It was believed to have all the levels as Wii U and some exclusive ones originally.
Rayman Legends has fantastic multiplayer. Up to 5 players on Wii u. This is missing from vita version. Plus better effects on Wii U (some screens posted showed worse or missing lighting effects on vita.)

Wow this dampers my expectations for Borderlands 2

If they can't even port Rayman Legends correctly I shudder at what the vita port for BL2 is going to look like

Are the levels THAT important though?

For me personally, seems like content I may have never gotten around to playing period.

Dunno, guess we will see...

VanWinkle

Rayman Legends has fantastic multiplayer. Up to 5 players on Wii u. This is missing from vita version. Plus better effects on Wii U (some screens posted showed worse or missing lighting effects on vita.)

Not everybody wants the multiplayer component. I tried Origins in multiplayer for a couple of hours and hated it. It feels like having to account for the other players drags me down and ruins the pacing. For me it's all about the single player. So for a lot of people, and in terms of content, the Vita version would be the definitive version. About the lighting effects, it seems it was missing a few particle effects, but that is about it, and particle effects don't really come into play on most Rayman levels anyway.

Massa

If they can't even port Rayman Legends correctly I shudder at what the vita port for BL2 is going to look like

Borderlands 2 is not being developed by Ubisoft.

Are the levels THAT important though?

For me personally, seems like content I may have never gotten around to playing period.

Dunno, guess we will see...

For me personally they were the highlight of the demo. I find 2D platformers boring if they're not challenging, and the levels that were cut are the challenging part of Rayman Legends.

Velcro Fly

Interested to see if we ever get a reason why these levels were cut. Hoping it's just a time issue and that the Vita gets them eventually. I'd probably pay for them if they were DLC

To be fair to Borderlands 2, this doesn't seem like a technical issue for Rayman Legends on Vita. It just seems like a cost cutting, deceptive type of thing.

Plus, different developers. Doesn't say anything about Borderlands.

baconcow

Interested to see if we ever get a reason why these levels were cut. Hoping it's just a time issue and that the Vita gets them eventually. I'd probably pay for them if they were DLC

I would also pay. But, I am also disappointed as they said all of the original Rayman Legends content would be in the Vita version. I consider these invasion levels (even if they use assets from Origins) to be "original Rayman Legends content".

onipex

Why not?
It was believed to have all the levels as Wii U and some exclusive ones originally.

I never understood why people believed that. While it was said that the Vita would have the Murphy touchscreen levels and some exclusive levels it was never said that it would have all the Wii U levels. I also remember the trailer for the Vita version saying less levels than the trailer for the Wii U version.

I wonder where Jason Schrier (hope i spelled correctly) + a Kotaku article are, when you need them?

That'd surely get Ubi PR commenting!

Going by teensies found it's about 12%

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...ayman®-legends-leaping-onto-playstation®-vita

This post right there says it comes with all content. So yeah it's a really shitty thing to do and not at least say anything.

Wow, that is really shitty.

I wonder where Jason Schrier (hope i spelled correctly) + a Kotaku article are, when you need them?

That'd surely get Ubi PR commenting!

Yeah, I was hoping Jason or someone would see it, but they're all at PAX this weekend right?

Not everybody wants the multiplayer component. I tried Origins in multiplayer for a couple of hours and hated it. It feels like having to account for the other players drags me down and ruins the pacing. For me it's all about the single player. So for a lot of people, and in terms of content, the Vita version would be the definitive version. About the lighting effects, it seems it was missing a few particle effects, but that is about it, and particle effects don't really come into play on most Rayman levels anyway.

It doesn't matter. Considering the Vita is missing such massive chunks of functionality and looks the worst out of all the versions, I just don't see how you could possibly see it as anywhere close to the "definitive" version. You can't play couch co-op multiplayer with a group of friends. You can't play Kung Foot. The resolution is worse, the visuals are worse (ever so slightly, but still). We're talking some pretty big options, and especially when the game was clearly originally designed around that couch co-op experience.

But anyway this is all moot in light of this new info anyway.

VanWinkle

It doesn't matter. Considering the Vita is missing such massive chunks of functionality and looks the worst out of all the versions, I just don't see how you could possibly see it as anywhere close to the "definitive" version. You can't play couch co-op multiplayer with a group of friends. You can't play Kung Foot. The resolution is worse, the visuals are worse (ever so slightly, but still). We're talking some pretty big options, and especially when the game was clearly originally designed around that couch co-op experience.

But anyway this is all moot in light of this new info anyway.

You can play Kung Foot, the game is native resolution just like the console games, and you would probably never be able to tell the visual differences whlie playing. So the only thing you have is 4 to 5 player co-op, which, like I said, not everybody likes. You have co-op, I have portability.

You can play Kung Foot, the game is native resolution just like the console games, and you would probably never be able to tell the visual differences whlie playing. So the only thing you have is 4 to 5 player co-op, which, like I said, not everybody likes. You have co-op, I have portability.

That's fine. I get why somebody might want a portable version of a game. But to call it anything like the "definitive" version is laughable. I get portability pretty much everywhere in my apartment with the Wii U gamepad though... and considering most handheld players in NA don't really play them outside the house, the gamepad playing anywhere in my apartment works out fine for me.

Meanwhile, Kung Foot seems like it's built to be a party game (as Ancel said, it's a "drinking game") so I'm not sure playing solo is really what it's meant for, unless you're also the type that drinks alone, I guess.

VanWinkle

That's fine. I get why somebody might want a portable version of a game. But to call it anything like the "definitive" version is laughable.

Meanwhile, Kung Foot seems like it's built to be a party game (as Ancel said, it's a "drinking game") so I'm not sure playing solo is really what it's meant for, unless you're also the type that drinks alone, I guess.

It isn't laughable at all. The game doesn't require co-op to be fun. For me, co-op made Origins far LESS fun, so I almost only played it in single-player. So, for me, having the exact same content PLUS five extra levels, and being able to take that anywhere I go, and having it on a super vibrant OLED screen makes it the "definitive version".

Kung Foot on Vita is obviously meant to be played ad-hoc, not solo. It's not Ubisoft's fault that most people with Vitas don't have friends that also have Vitas at the moment. It's still there.

So if we figure out why the Invaded levels aren't there, and there's a good reason, and they're bringing them in, it will again be the definitive version for anybody who doesn't want to play co-op.

Vita screen only goes up to 540p if i recall. How is that running native resolution when its native resolution on the WiiU alone is 1080p.

VanWinkle

Vita screen only goes up to 540p if i recall. How is that running native resolution when its native resolution on the WiiU alone is 1080p.

Vita's native resolution is 544p. Rayman Legends renders in native resolution, so it's sharp as can be. Native resolution on Wii U is 1080p. Rayman Legends renders in native resolution, so it's sharp as can be. Ergo, Rayman Legends renders in native resolution on both the Vita and console versions.

Are these levels part of the single player or are they like optional challenge modes, kind of like boss rush modes or time trials, which are usually apart from the single player?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

That doesn't change the fact that its not the definitive version. There is a reason why shahid keep using those "best on vita" as selling point for some indie games.

Are these levels part of the single player or are they like optional challenge modes, kind of like boss rush modes or time trials, which are usually apart from the single player?

Kind of both? They're unlocked as you progress through the game a little bit separately from the regular linear progression but they're no lesser nor are they framed as any lesser than any of the other content in the game.

It looks like they're just bonuses. I don't think it's quite a deal breaker, although its a bummer.

Having the original Origins levels is at least still in there.

VanWinkle

They are this game's version of time trials. I BELIEVE 28 levels have Invaded versions. These stages take 40-60 seconds to complete and have leaderboards.

That doesn't change the fact that its not the definitive version. There is a reason why shahid keep using those "best on vita" as selling point for some indie games.

Still don't understand that. Who is to claim objectively whether co-op or portability is better?

zroid

Banned
Isn't the point just that there was no "definitive" version? Ubi pretty much saw to that by deciding each would have its own unique features/content. Definitive implies objectively better in every respect (with a tiny bit of wiggle room, of course, but generally speaking anyway). I thought the Vita ver of Origins was the "best" because of superior d-pad and touch-to-gather lums, but it certainly wasn't definitive since it lacked a major feature of the console releases.

VanWinkle

Isn't the point just that there was no "definitive" version? Ubi pretty much saw to that by deciding each would have its own unique features/content. Definitive implies objectively better in every respect (with a tiny bit of wiggle room, of course, but generally speaking anyway). I thought the Vita ver of Origins was the "best" because of superior d-pad and touch-to-gather lums, but it certainly wasn't definitive since it lacked a major feature of the console releases.

Fair point. There is definitely no objectively "definitive" version.

Borderlands 2 is not being developed by Ubisoft.

For me personally they were the highlight of the demo. I find 2D platformers boring if they're not challenging, and the levels that were cut are the challenging part of Rayman Legends.

To be fair to Borderlands 2, this doesn't seem like a technical issue for Rayman Legends on Vita. It just seems like a cost cutting, deceptive type of thing.

Plus, different developers. Doesn't say anything about Borderlands.

Good I guess

I'm have fairly high hopes for BL2 on vita

Most likely unrealisitcally high as I loved it on consoles

I'm worried the port will be poor if just due to the size contraints on vita games

Aren't vita game carts like 8 gbs max?

BL2 on PC is almost 20 gb if memory serves

Is ubisoft known for making bad vita ports then?

web01

Origins is great but this is disgusting, no one should support developers that gimp games like this regardless of that platform.

Famassu

It looks like they're just bonuses. I don't think it's quite a deal breaker, although its a bummer.

Having the original Origins levels is at least still in there.
Why on Earth did they keep the Origins levels which anyone could play on Vita alrrady and not new ones? That's what I find incomprehensible.

Top Bottom