• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

BiggNife

Is Shock Troopers a good co op shooter?
Yes. Very yes.

Shock Troopers is one of the most underrated shooters of all time. It deserves to be right up there with the greats like Metal Slug and Contra.

(There's a reason why they didn't port 2nd Squad though)

Someone posted a video, might have been then Xbox One version? Showing some hitching beyond the normal hardware slowdown. Not sure if it is present here.

To me it seems like excessive slowdown in certain spots beyond original Neo Geo Hardware. I played a lot of Metal Slug and never seemed to remember chugging around as bad as this. Although the worst culprit was MS 2 until X came out and fixed the sluggishness that was present in 2.

EDarkness

To me it seems like excessive slowdown in certain spots beyond original Neo Geo Hardware. I played a lot of Metal Slug and never seemed to remember chugging around as bad as this. Although the worst culprit was MS 2 until X came out and fixed the sluggishness that was present in 2.

I haven't noticed much slowdown, but I've only made it to Stage 2. I wonder if something is going on there since there REALLY shouldn't be any slowdown unless they're going for 100% perfect emulation which would have slowdown. No idea what they're doing in this case, but I haven't had any problems with the game so far.

I bought World Heroes, Metal Slug and KoF 94 on Xbox One and all three games have massive performance problems.

I captured some footage
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Vega/videos

The Xbox versions seem to be the worst.

Yep, there it is.

I can confirm in the 5-10 mins I played I didn't see anything like that.

The slowdown didn't seem excessive compared to the original to me, but I admit I haven't played a cab of these in a long time.

Tain

I'd probably snatch these up quickly on the NA eShop, too lazy to do the multi account thing for Neo Geo double/triple dips atm.

They sound like nice releases!

I'd probably snatch these up quickly on the NA eShop, too lazy to do the multi account thing for Neo Geo double/triple dips atm.

They sound like nice releases!

They are up on the US eShop. Updated.. a few hours ago?

I guess nobody made that clear.

These are up on the US eShop!

How likely is it that Hamster will port Pulstar at some point or does that game have rights issues?

I'm not sure what the status of Aicom's stuff is, but it does appear to be caught up somewhere, unfortunately. As far as I know this is the best curated list of what is announced to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives#ACA_Neo_Geo

Hamster is also fairly active on Twitter and posts regularly in English. Machine translation does enough for the rest.

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp

I'm not sure what the status of Aicom's stuff is, but it does appear to be caught up somewhere, unfortunately. As far as I know this is the best curated list of what is announced to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives#ACA_Neo_Geo

Hamster is also fairly active on Twitter and posts regularly in English. Machine translation does enough for the rest.

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp

Bummer, I read that IREM sued them over it back in the day (due to it being so similar to R-TYPE) so maybe that's part of it too but it was released several years ago on the OG Wii VC in Japan by whoever was handling Neo Geo games at the time. I hope it gets released again someday, I play it on my PSP's Neo Geo CD emulator.

Cody_D165

Banned
I need me some Neo Turf Masters...

Wish the windjammers port would make it over to Switch but I know that's probably not gonna happen

Really tempted to get Shock Troopers for some good co-op action and Waku Waku looks fun too.

Anyways, checked out the U.S. shop on my main American account and Metal Slug 3 shows as "purchased" even though I bought it using my Jpn account on the Japanese store, pretty cool and makes waiting for these titles to be added to the U.S. store even more pointless if you ask me (no offense, SmiteOfHand).

bounchfx

Anyone know if KOF, or I guess, which of these are in full screen? the screenshots show the sides cropped off, but a video on youtube shows it taking up the whole screen

taoofjord

Never played Shock troopers before but had to pick it up. It's really fun! I love the dodge roll. Picked up MS3 as well (obviously great). The ports in general are impressive. They give you a surprising amount of options to customize the presentation of the game.

Man the Switch is so good for these kinds of games. Can't wait to do tabletop co-op with family when I'm on vacation.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyone know if KOF, or I guess, which of these are in full screen? the screenshots show the sides cropped off, but a video on youtube shows it taking up the whole screen

The games are meant to run in a 4:3 aspect ratio, but you can stretch the screen if you want.

So...I sort of trained myself to be able to do motions decently on the joycon's four button d-pad in KOF 98 by resting my lower thumb in the center much like a standard d-pad. Later I was pretty shocked playing with the joycons in the grip at how well that configuration actually works when you aren't supporting the whole system.

I still want a joycon with a true dpad, but if it's going to be small like 3DS this might be a better setup for fighting games. It works pretty well in Master Blaster too. The Switch is crazy!

Probably Waku Waku

No massive motions - at the most there are supers with half circle motions.

It's a bit more mashy than kof.

Yeah, I'll have to agree. WW7 is pretty approachable mechanics-wise. Only real learning curves are the Prone Attacks and Waku Moves. Prone Moves can only be used in a brief window when the opponent is knocked down. Some of them are extremely worth learning the timing for. Waku Moves are extremely powerful, but all of them have a loud warning siren before they go off, making actual landing them tricky. Word of advice:
When fighting the Final Boss, try to give him some space. His Waku Move is instant death, and it can hit you before the siren goes off.

Yes. Very yes.

Shock Troopers is one of the most underrated shooters of all time. It deserves to be right up there with the greats like Metal Slug and Contra.

(There's a reason why they didn't port 2nd Squad though)

huh? why?

I like Shock Troopers 2 more than part one tbh.
(except for the prerendered style)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Anyone know how much better the Switch version of WW7 is over the Saturn? I have it on Saturn, but the backgrounds and scaling are pretty rough.

galvatron

Is NAM-1975 any good?

I've heard a well informed, non-fighting game fans call it their favorite neo geo game.

It's not my absolute favorite, but it's definitely a high quality game. Definitely worth playing if you're into reticle shooters with high difficulty and skill ceiling...really not out of place in terms of quality when compared to the other neo games on offer for switch.

Cindro

All of these look like they're either focused on competitive multiplayer or cooperative multiplayer.

Do any of these offer a nice solo experience?

Top Bottom