• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect for a PS5 / NEXTBOX?

fordian

Neo Member
2019 or 2020.

NOT native 4K unless they can hit ~12tflops. Resolution scales linearly with hardware, and there are many 900p games this gen, so if we want a 6x res improvement we'll need 6x the hardware (e.g. 11-12tflops).

12tflops is unlikely to me. I'm guessing 8-10 with Ryzen and 16gb of memory for $399. So we'll continue to see upscaling and checkerboard rendering next gen.

There will not be a mid-gen refresh or subsequent iterative hardware progress. 8K will remain irrelevant for some time and so will VR.

All in all, I'm expecting a fairly sizable increase in capability but nothing earth shattering, similar to the leap over last gen. The industry will continue to inch towards CGI-quality visuals, and 60fps will remain elusive.

Edit: Also, Microsoft will name their next console "Xbox 5" to match Sony. They'll count Scorpio as their fourth if they need an excuse.

Peterc

Xbox1x or even pc is no truly 4k.

Beside that, there wouldn't be a next gen anymore. Rather think more ipad / iphone like. Upgrades that are small.

Ms still better focus on a pc gen, imo.

i-Lo

How about devs not blindly chasing 4K resolution at the cost of everything else?

You know doesn't mix? 4K and object and shadows Pop in & abrupt close up LOD transitions & poor AF.

There are fundamental aspects on which these finite computation power ought to be spent instead of trying to go native 4K.

AmyS

How about this: 2 to 3 times more GPU power than Xbox One X, similar increases in RAM and memory bandwidth. Plus the expected generational leap in CPU since we'd be going from Jaguar to Zen 2 or Zen 3, and then instead of using that for 4K games, make games look as close to offline rendered CG as possible, with immense polygon counts and next-gen lighting, and effects running at 1280 x 720p and 60fps.

Not long ago, we saw a recreation of Toy Story 1 CGI done in real-time in Kingdom Hearts 3 running on PS4 at 1080p 30fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDadVrBr1Y

Now think about what could be done with an 8x leap in power, sacrificing resolution (but still maintaining the minimum HD resolution of 720p) and going nuts on complexity, lighting and effects at 60fps. For certain genres, it could be a game changer.

I'm hoping for some sort of innovation that really gets people talking again, rather than just slightly better graphics and higher resolution. Highly doubt that'll happen so I suppose a huge increase in CPU power will have to suffice. Personally, I really want developers to make revolutionary strides in open world games.

I don't expect 8K being a factor and tech for 4k60fps (with modern graphics) will be dirt cheap meaning we will have the best hardware for the resolution that we will have had since high def became a thing.

Exciting.

Ubername

Banned
I don't expect 8K being a factor and tech for 4k60fps (with modern graphics) will be dirt cheap meaning we will have the best hardware for the resolution that we will have had since high def became a thing.

Exciting.

I don't think 3-4years is enough for hardware that can do 4k60 to become cheap enough for consoles. Most games don't even do 1080p 60 now and probably still won't for a while. We'll never get 60hz as a given because it's way easier to beef up the internal rendering resolution and drop for the next lowest milestone. 5k 6k sure but you won't see more than a handful of games next gen that are 4k running at framerate.

Narasaki

Free online for P2P style games, like fighting games. It doesn't make any sense to pay for online without any server or service interfering.

Also stable fps

I certainly hope not. I look at disdain at all those who purchase non-Apple laptops lacking optical drives.

If it happens one day and not just as a special “lite version” of a console (like it becomes the new normal) you can tell me “told ya so.”

I’ll be waiting a long time to hear that, I think

People have been predicting the death of digital media for about 6 years now

As long as data/bandwidth caps exist there will always be physical media demands

Serious post.

I do expect a Ryzen laptop CPU, possibly a custom 8 core model with a 2.7-3Ghz core clock at most.

GPU will likely be Vega based. Somewhere in the ballpark of 16Gb of GDDR5. I don't think more than that would be necessary for 4K, nor feasible in term of manufacturing cost.

The graphical leap from X1X to PS5/XB2 will seem marginally to most, but the extra RAM and better CPU will allow developers to develop games they couldn't otherwise make while targeting existing hardware.

We'll still see games using resolution scalers, adaptive resolutions, and 30FPS when required. That's just how consoles have and will always be because developers will always have to make sacrifices when making a game for fixed hardware.

As for Nintendo, I think they may have struck gold with the Switch. We could see them iterating on that hardware like Apple have with the iPad and just improve the specs/reduce the size for some years.

AmyS

GPU will likely be Vega based.

The GPUs in the next consoles will most definitely *not* be Vega based. It uses far too much power, today in PC cards, and will be completely outdated in 2019/2020. Vega was originally targeted for a late 2016 release for PCs, then got pushed to H1 2017, and didn't actually reach consumers until a few months ago.

AMD Navi is due in 2019 on 7nm and certainly that will be the GPU architecture PS5 and NEXTBOX GPUs are derived from, not counting custom features Sony/MS may ask for that don't show up on the PC side until 'Next Gen' GPU architecture on 7nm+ in 2020+

vnp4piE.png

While PS5 and NextBox GPUs may or may not have anything in common with AMD 'Next Gen' feature wise, there's basically no question their GPUs will be based on Navi.

The GPUs in the next consoles will most definitely *not* be Vega based. It uses far too much power, today in PC cards, and will be completely outdated in 2019/2020. Vega was originally targeted for a late 2016 release for PCs, then got pushed to H1 2017, and didn't actually reach consumers until a few months ago.

AMD Navi is due in 2019 on 7nm and certainly that will be the GPU architecture PS5 and NEXTBOX GPUs are derived from, not counting custom features Sony/MS may ask for that don't show up on the PC side until 'Next Gen' GPU architecture on 7nm+ in 2020+

vnp4piE.png

While PS5 and NextBox GPUs may or may not have anything in common with AMD 'Next Gen' feature wise, there's basically no question their GPUs will be based on Navi.

That's a fair point about the power consumption. Though Vega 20 is stated for next year running on 14nm+, according to AMD, they'll have cards with a TDP between 150w-300w.

AMD hasn't said much about 14nm+ Vega at FAD, it was just too early to disclose any significant details a year in advance. What we do know however is that it definitely exists. It's also safe to assume that due to the refined process we're looking at higher clock speeds and better overall performance/watt compared to the Vega products we're going to see this year.
https://wccftech.com/amd-working-14nm-vega-2-0-compete-nvidias-volta-2018/

Depends when next gen starts really, if we're looking at PS5/XB1 dropping in 2019, it'll likely be Vega based. If it's 2020 or later, then Navi.

AmyS

That's a fair point about the power consumption. Though Vega 20 is stated for next year running on 14nm+, according to AMD, they'll have cards with a TDP between 150w-300w.

Vega 20 yeah I think that's going to be on TSMC's "12nm" process like Nvidia's Volta, according to the latest AMD call, but regardless of what process the Vega refresh is on, Navi seems to fit the timeline for next-gen consoles, with a proper process shrink, and Navi is meant to feature more scalability.

Depends when next gen starts really, if we're looking at PS5/XB1 dropping in 2019, it'll likely be Vega based. If it's 2020 or later, then Navi.

You're right it does depend on when next gen hardware launches. I think if PS5 is late 2019 it'll straight up use a Navi 10-like GPU. If one or both new consoles launch in fall 2020 they'll either use Navi or Navi+ some Next Gen features, even though it wouldn't be the actual Next Gen GPU (anymore than PS4 Pro GPU is Vega even though it has 2 features from Vega. PS4 Pro GPU is mostly Polaris). If say. Xbox Next doesn't come until after PS5, a year later, in fall 2021, then it will probably use the Next Gen GPU on 7nm+, or just a beefier Navi on 7nm. I don't see any scenario where next-gen console uses Vega, unless they're launching next year in fall 2018 which is practically impossible. Maybe only if Sony pulls out a PS4 Ultra with 8TF GPU to counter X1X. I don't see that happening.

If PS5 and Xbox Next get mid-gen upgrades in the middle of the 2020s, they'll use whatever GPU AMD has for 5nm, assuming AMD survives.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Quite frankly I really dont care for next gen, visuals on the pro and X are more then enough for me and in terms of game design next gen will see a really small jump, A game dev can create anything they want with the current hardware, all next gen will do is have visuals like the latest tech demos, but in terms of game mechanics,world size, world interaction and AI complexity the games will be very similare to current gen.

AmyS

Quite frankly I really dont care for next gen, visuals on the pro and X are more then enough for me and in terms of game design next gen will see a really small jump, A game dev can create anything they want with the current hardware, all next gen will do is have visuals like the latest tech demos, but in terms of game mechanics,world size, world interaction and AI complexity the games will be very similare to current gen.

This will change when next gen consoles get a strong CPU like RyZen (be it Zen 2 or whatever) because that will open up far greater possibilities for gameplay, world simulation, world size, AI complexity, and if developers choose, 60fps in a greater percentage of games than current gen...even though there will always be games that run at 30fps no matter the hardware because many developers choose to push the most complex graphics they can per frame.

Aurizen

I'm hoping for the PS5 to be 8k... Hopefully... High end console. I say 16 gigs of ram. 12 core processor. Hopefully Nvidia GPU (Gonna be AMD again) I would accept a $499 price point If its a high end X86-64 architecture.

AmyS

I'm hoping for the PS5 to be 8k... Hopefully... High end console. I say 16 gigs of ram. 12 core processor. Hopefully Nvidia GPU (Gonna be AMD again) I would accept a $499 price point If its a high end X86-64 architecture.

LOL, 8K is a total waste and almost no one will have an 8K set by the time PS5 launches.

And 8K textures? Good luck with that even with 32GB RAM. Not happening.

4K will be the maximum resolution of console games for a long time.
except for Titanfall 2 on Xbox One X before the recent fix!

Madeiras

Neo Member

Not happening, PS5 will be a much better Xbox One X but 8k?

People going around saying next gen will be less than $500 and you come saying 8k resolution?

Something is not right.

Aurizen

Not happening, PS5 will be a much better Xbox One X but 8k?

People going around saying next gen will be less than $500 and you come saying 8k resolution?

Something is not right.

LOL, 8K is a total waste and almost no one will have an 8K set by the time PS5 launches.

And 8K textures? Good luck with that even with 32GB RAM. Not happening.

4K will be the maximum resolution of console games for a long time.
except for Titanfall 2 on Xbox One X before the recent fix!
Ok fair enough atleast 8k movie support. I think by 2020 we'll see 8k happening more.

eso76

299 price. Similar power to x and pro.

Uhhh..then just drop support for regular PS4 and Xbox One and have X and Pro be the base models.

I'm hoping for the PS5 to be 8k... Hopefully...

Lol, no.
8k talks need to die before people start taking them seriously.
Should never be a thing outside of cinemas or when we have affordable 8k projectors.

PS5

9 Teraflops GPU
Ryzen 3.0 - 3.8 Ghz CPU
4k Bluray
2 TB harddrive if feasible
20 GB of GDDR5 Ram
November 2020 release.

Specs should be more than able to appreciate 2k resolution and 60 fps as the standard.

Nextbox on the same ballpark procurring they dont let Sony take the hardware lead because of whatever add-on idea they have cooked up and opt for smaller specs.

Those specs seem a little bit much for 400 euro.
I'm not an expert, but the Xbox One X will be around 400 euro probably next year, so it seems to me that they cannot have that much more specs than the X, when they release it late 2019.

Madeiras

Neo Member
Ok fair enough atleast 8k movie support. I think by 2020 we'll see 8k happening more.

Thats reasonable but we all know sony likes to sell their own Blu-Ray players so maybe sony just drop a 4K player on the PS5 and say PS5 is a console not a 8K player.

Time will tell.

My opinion the big PS5 weapon will be GPU.

The PS5 will be a 400 euro console, at that price point you cannot have high end expensive technology.

Madeiras

Neo Member
Those specs seem a little bit much for 400 euro.
I'm not an expert, but the Xbox One X will be around 400 euro probably next year, so it seems to me that they cannot have that much more specs than the X, when they release it late 2019.

True plus 9TF GPU doesnt need 20 GB of GDDR5 Ram. I dont wanna be negative but those specs he mention looks like 2 gens ahead.

yurinka

PS5:
-Current PC-like HW architecture
-AMD Navi 7nm
-16GB+ of super fast RAM
-Full BC, games from previous gens in the store
-Around 12 teraflops, true 4K for most new games but not all
-$400
-2TB HDD
-Focus on games
-Still accept bluray
-PSVR2 with something like a Leapmotion camera in the headset to track hands/fingers as new control
-No AA bateries

Next Xbox:
-MS quits from HW, licenses other manufacturers like Razor, Alienware, Asus or Samsung to make their own Xbox like Steam machines
-Next Xbox will have base HW minimum specs very similar to PS5, manufacturers can make it more powerful if desired
-Fully integrated Xbox UI/OS and Windows 10 MS store: turn your PC into an Xbox or viceversa
-MS future games on PS5, not only Minecraft
-VR support
-No sports, sports, tv, tv bullshit

-hadouken

It's all about a decent CPU - would like to see more 60fps games and AI finally take a step up. 1080P is enough for me - it's time for smoother and more engaging games.

AmyS

I would like for the CPU to be as important as the GPU.

What I want to see is more physics.

In my dreams...

Intel Knights Landing (actually the 3rd gen version Knights Hill) + AMD Navi / Next Gen GPU / 64 GB HBM3 (2TB/sec bandwidth).

8OtSrBi.jpg

IriOuzH.jpg

Games can also be streamed from server farms where devs can use more processing resources to render games than what you have at home. Will allow PlayStation to slowly shift to a service in 10-15 years. Games will eventually look indistinguishable from high-end CGI. Square Enix being one of the top developers for this sort of platform.

Of course, none of this will happen. It's just a dream 15 years ahead of time.

In the future, you won't buy a PS7, developers will upgrade their servers to PS7 standards, and you will get better games. Assuming the internet infrastructure gets to a certain level to support such an endeavor.

This is crazy talk.

svbarnard

Banned
So listen the Xbox one X has 326 GB of total memory bandwidth, I believe that nextgen consoles will have a terabyte of total memory bandwidth, is that too far fetched?

Shin

Banned
So listen the Xbox one X has 326 GB of total memory bandwidth, I believe that nextgen consoles will have a terabyte of total memory bandwidth, is that too far fetched?

Depends on the amount of memory they are equipped with, should range between 16-24-32GB of GDDR6 and I believe that has 64GB/s

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
No more next gen. Just updates every two years till the stream stationboxes arrive.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Before that , can we just say no to next gen !

ps4 after that pro and the same goes for Xbox.. we need to calm the fuck down , keep up the excellent games and I'm happy let me just make memories with my console ! , then after that bring whatever you want

Top Bottom