• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
nexus2cee_Screen-Shot-2017-03-29-at-6.02.33-PM-728x477.png

Just a company with no taste. None. The lack of taste is just a cultural norm in a crappy company like Samsung.

The fuck is this? All I can see right now is a giant L covered up

was there a noticeable difference in battery life between S7 and S7 edge? I'm trying to compare to see if it's worth going for the S8 Plus. But the only incentives are bigger screen and battery.

reKon

Banned
I'm sorry but I still still can't get over how the S7 Edge and S8 have the same dimensions, but yet the battery in the S7 Edge is 20% larger. I know that there's cool battery tech in there for the S8, but man, that's a big difference and it's pushing on a larger screen!

now that I've gotten over the initial love affair and craze with the announcement.. I think I might have to wait for some battery life tests. No rush to preorder this if it doesn't come out for another month.

My S6 Edge has an extremely shitty battery life. This has a bigger battery, but the G6 also has a bigger battery life. And that'll be fairly important on my day to day use.

Dineren

Banned
I've been using Google music manager to sync my iTunes library up with Google play music for years and after the latest iTunes update it is refusing to upload the Nier: Automata soundtrack. I didn't think it was a big deal and just uploaded it through Chrome, but it will not add one of the tracks. It appears the track is on the soundtrack twice (and seems to be completely identical) so I assume that is why it won't upload.

Is there anyway to tell it that it should be on there twice? I tried renaming the file (and the track name) by adding an underscore to the end and it says it uploads successfully, but it still doesn't show up.

Also, does anyone happen to know why the music manager wouldn't grab it? Did something in iTunes finally break compatibility? My searches all turn up really old discussions about music manager so maybe no one is actually using it anymore.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest problem with this phone isn't the camera.

It's the fact that they phoned it in on the audio. Sure the included earbuds should be decent, but that mono bottom firing speaker is fucking hella weak sauce.

That number seems so low but I know at the carrier I work for the numbers are abysmal so it is believable. Maybe they'd sell more if they made more but not much.

At least they're now making $650 on phones that sell like shit as opposed to $300.

According to a report, HTC is building the pixel 2, and LG is building the pixel 3

other contenders: TCL and....Coolpad

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170329PB200.html

sheesh

Pay $650 for phones made by shit tier Chinese OEMs brehs

Jeffrey

dang those pack-in sammy akg earbuds are gonna be sold separately for $100. Gonna be interesting to see how decent they are.

Common themes with every hands on today.

- some explosive/rip joke about note 7.
- OMG HEADPHONE JACK.

Quasar

I've been using Google music manager to sync my iTunes library up with Google play music for years and after the latest iTunes update it is refusing to upload the Nier: Automata soundtrack. I didn't think it was a big deal and just uploaded it through Chrome, but it will not add one of the tracks. It appears the track is on the soundtrack twice (and seems to be completely identical) so I assume that is why it won't upload.

Is there anyway to tell it that it should be on there twice? I tried renaming the file (and the track name) by adding an underscore to the end and it says it uploads successfully, but it still doesn't show up.

Also, does anyone happen to know why the music manager wouldn't grab it? Did something in iTunes finally break compatibility? My searches all turn up really old discussions about music manager so maybe no one is actually using it anymore.

Not sure. I've noticed Music Manager sometimes not always noticed when I added files to the watched directories, so I've had to manually upload em through the manager. But thats been a long term issue for me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung should include wireless earbuds. That would be a legit pack in and not the hot garbage Gear VR these companies always try to force. Daydream is dead, too.

Wireless audio future is almost here for the vast majority of people.

Quasar

Just a company with no taste. None. The lack of taste is just a cultural norm in a crappy company like Samsung.

For some definition of taste. I do actually like some of those colours. Those covers/cases are god awful though. Not that I ever use cases.

I assume review devices were given out today. When is embargo?

I don't think there is an embargo? Usually we get someone doing antutu benchmarks from the launch event. Also, any word if the bixby button can be remapped to someone else? Pretty shameless of Samsung to muddy the waters with their own google assistant.

Quasar

I don't think there is an embargo? Usually we get someone doing antutu benchmarks from the launch event. Also, any word if the bixby button can be remapped to someone else? Pretty shameless of Samsung to muddy the waters with their own google assistant.

One question I did have was whether the S8 would have both or whether Samsung is striping Google Assistant from their version of Android.

Funny story, if you search for Gboard on the Play store in Canada the newest reviews all state how they like the game, but some of them wish the tokens weren't so expensive.

There's like, 50 reviews like this.

Hasney

Got emailed a decent offer on a Galaxy S8+ from my carrier. Would have been tempted to pull the trigger if the blue was available. Why be boring, Samsung?

ty_hot

Yday I felt like S8 wasnt great, but now I think its a solid phone. Has all features:

Latest processor
4gb ram (last year though)
Beautiful screen with HDR
Great camera (last year though)
Wireless charging
Water resistant
Iris fingerprint facial scan
64gb
Sd support
Bixby
3.5mm (I guess?)

Plus:
Gear vr
Gear 360
Samsung Dex

It has basically everything that there is available, even though the only "new" thing is the bigger screen.

The thing is: will the extra space be useful? It isnt good for photos or videos... At the same time there isnt much more screen area area when the nav buttons are on the bottom. The only real use I can see is for splitscreen, which I use once every 2 or 3 weeks.

It was sad that th3y didn't show absolutely no new software that makes sense with the new display hardware, seems like its just a different screen ratio and nothing was optimized / got better / adjusted for it.

At least the price didnt skyrocket as we thought it would.

Toki767

I'll probably get the S8, but it does somewhat feel like a bit of a half-step. Kind of like the S6 compared to the S7.

The S9 is more than likely going to have a fingerprint scanner under the screen. I imagine it'll also have a more fully fleshed out Bixby and a better camera as well.

NeOak

I'll probably get the S8, but it does somewhat feel like a bit of a half-step. Kind of like the S6 compared to the S7.

The S9 is more than likely going to have a fingerprint scanner under the screen. I imagine it'll also have a more fully fleshed out Bixby and a better camera as well.
Ask Synaptics if they are going to have the sensor ready for next year.

Since Apple bought Autentech years ago, they are the only ones with a product to sell.

Yday I felt like S8 wasnt great, but now I think its a solid phone. Has all features:

Latest processor
4gb ram (last year though)
Beautiful screen with HDR
Great camera (last year though)
Wireless charging
Water resistant
Iris fingerprint facial scan
64gb
Sd support
Bixby
3.5mm (I guess?)

Plus:
Gear vr
Gear 360
Samsung Dex

It has basically everything that there is available, even though the only "new" thing is the bigger screen.

And USB 3.0 Type C. Welcome to 2016 Samsung! :p

I've got question marks over the battery capacity, 3,000mah powering a 5.8" screen... not convinced. It may be a 10nm chip, but it's not like they've kept MHZ/IPC/GPU the same.

Oh, and that price.

Hasney

I will never understand the love for those big-ass phones, but hey.

Better to watch videos at my desk at work and I have big enough hands to one hand a Nexus 6 still, so I can go bigger.

I find smaller phones too cramped and hard to use over long periods. Like playing with a single Switch Joycon.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Galaxy S8 looks fucking 🔥, but I don't think I can give up my amazing battery life of the Z Play. It would be a major downgrade for me. I'm too used to getting 10+ hours SoT.

Mindwipe

It's hideous of course, but if you're going to judge a company's taste level based on it putting out crappy looking cases Apple would also fail that test. It's put out some utter stinkers over the years.

Jeffrey

It's hideous of course, but if you're going to judge a company's taste level based on it putting out crappy looking cases Apple would also fail that test. It's put out some utter stinkers over the years.

Tumor battery case lol. But generally apple official cases are pretty standard looking stuff.

Mindwipe

I got to play with the S8. It's pretty nice in hand, but surprising nobody the fingerprint sensor is in literally the dumbest place I could ever imagine.

Triple tap to shink gesture is still there.
Theme store wasn't working so dunno if you can theme the bottom bar.
Smoothness felt fine but I'm not very sensitive to that tbh.
Nothing in advanced settings to remap the Bixby button, which is gonna feel really dumb in countries without Bixby.

The unit I held was a UK one and had Bixby, which is odd if it's not going to support UK English at launch.

By "pretty nice" I mean it was genuinely spectacular in hand btw. It's beautiful.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate how both the G6 and S8 are like

"Yo look at our screen! Isn't it baller? It's even got HDR. Plus it's huge! You'll want to watch all sorts of shit on this!"

Then they go and put a weak as mono bottom firing speaker in the damn thing. FTL...

Mindwipe

Honestly I can't see that you would ever use built in speakers for any kind of sound experience anyway tbh. Stereo phone speakers will always be just as crap as mono tbh.

Jeffrey

Note 7 had Type C

Did note 7 support usb c standard fast charge?

I hate how both the G6 and S8 are like

"Yo look at our screen! Isn't it baller? It's even got HDR. Plus it's huge! You'll want to watch all sorts of shit on this!"

Then they go and put a weak as mono bottom firing speaker in the damn thing. FTL...

Saving something for next year. New camera. New fingerprint sensor,stereo speakers.

Top Bottom