• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Mephala

Thanks! So the first area is the practice area im assuming. Is it better to use the trick of getting the insight fast and then being able to level up in this area while acclimitazing to the enemies? Thats when I just get to the first boss and die, right? Or finding the item in the sewers?

Or is the leveling that can be done on this part minimal? I like to level/improve characters and I have no problem farming things if its more beneficial.

Honestly, there is no "right" answer but I think if you learn to play without the leveling advantage it can be beneficial as it allows you to be more comfortable and familiar with fighter stronger enemies. It also allows you to spend your echoes on other things such as blood vials if you want and when you're out of things to buy it allows you to play with reckless abandon, to practice and take risks and learn the limits of your current character.

Some things such as the timing of your dodge, the distance of it, the speed of your weapon doesn't really change. These things becoming second nature is more important than leveling. That said, if you do struggle to the point of frustration run for the insight and don't let others tell you how to play but for now and from what I've read from your posts it seems you might prefer to test and poke your way through until you hit some walls.

While your patience hasn't worn thing yet, consider testing your gun and getting some parry practice in. Otherwise, a shot will stop a small dog but probably won't kill it.

If you tell us your weapon maybe someone can give you more specific tips.

Another important tip is that you should practice with normal combat first before trying out how to parry with your guns, you don't have much bullets at the beginning and most enemies are just mobs anyway, I don't think getting into parry right at the beginning is a smart decision. Just not very worth it, I would even say it's waste of bullet since you are gonna die a few times and there's no point spending that one bullet parring someone you will see again (and again, and again) when respawn.

Parry is easy once you ''get'' it, but for beginners, this is high level technique.

Focus on basic control is way more useful, you can beat the game just fine without a single parry, it's really just like issen in Onimusha, except it's not free.

EDIT:

Another VERY important thing that most beginners need to know, you don't ''restart'' when you die, you just revive (respawn), time doesn't stop or rewind for you, you can see yourself as some kind of vampire that can never true die.

If you grabbed an item, for example a very important key, you have it. Even if you die you don't lose it, it's already in your inventory and it always will until you use it.

The game also saves constantly, you can quit anytime, anywhere and you won't lose any progress, there are some exceptions tho, such as boss fights.

alt27

Some things that really helped me, personally:

The experience you'll gain in combat is much more precious than any loot you'll find in the beginning of the game. Also you'll get blood vials which you use for healing.

Thanks so much for all the tips! Im really going to spend a decent amount of time in the first area with the combat and try and get the basics down. I think these types of games reputation might be more scary than its actual combat but who knows.

Cant really add much because almost everything has been covered.

I would say to not get down if you lose a big chunk of echoes. Its not a big deal, you'll be drowning on them later.

Also explore a lot, to find loot and also shortcuts to get to the boss faster. The box art hunter outfit, for example, can be found exploring in the first area.

Edit: dont worry choosing a starter class. It hardly makes a difference. You can also level STR and SKL to get access to more weapons, its the so called Quality build. First soft cap of attack attributes come at 25 so its pretty early (second is at 50). Upgrading weapons gives more damage than levels too.

Yeah, I kinda figured starting class might not be that important for first run through, so will go for a balanced class and I do plan on exploring the first area alot to get use to the combat so hopefully I stumble across the armour.

Honestly, there is no "right" answer but I think if you learn to play without the leveling advantage it can be beneficial as it allows you to be more comfortable and familiar with fighter stronger enemies. It also allows you to spend your echoes on other things such as blood vials if you want and when you're out of things to buy it allows you to play with reckless abandon, to practice and take risks and learn the limits of your current character.

Some things such as the timing of your dodge, the distance of it, the speed of your weapon doesn't really change. These things becoming second nature is more important than leveling. That said, if you do struggle to the point of frustration run for the insight and don't let others tell you how to play but for now and from what I've read from your posts it seems you might prefer to test and poke your way through until you hit some walls.

While your patience hasn't worn thing yet, consider testing your gun and getting some parry practice in. Otherwise, a shot will stop a small dog but probably won't kill it.

If you tell us your weapon maybe someone can give you more specific.

Cheers, Im usually pretty patient with games (although had some exceptions) so I will thoroughly explore the first area to get a feel. Im generally pretty cautious in sword action rpg games, but I read you have to be aggressive in BB for the health regen. So practice in the first area will be good to have and it wont really matter how much i die anyway, so I dont mind that first few hours learning curve.

Edit - Ah the weapon, not sure yet. Most people seem to reccomend axe or cleaver. They wont be too hard to get both early on in the game right? Dos it really matter or am I stuck with one weapon for a long time?

Almost downloaded now, so will come check in tommorow with some thoughts and more likely to ask for more tips, haha.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks! Ive been seeing alot of people online either mention MV, Violent past and Lone Survivor as well for starting classes. Choices....choices....mmmm
Starting classes are largely meaningless in Souls games, it's more about roleplaying - especially in BB where all the classes can use all the starting weapons and have the same starting gear. Any class can level up in any way and they can all even out after a few stat points either way.

Or is the leveling that can be done on this part minimal? I like to level/improve characters and I have no problem farming things if its more beneficial.
If you like to level and farm a bit - I suggest farming for blood shards from the wolfmen enemies. Upgrading your weapon will benefit you more than farming for levels and with the souls you get from killing you can buy a stock of blood vials and/or bullets early. They are also good enemies to practice parrying on. I usually get my weapon to at least +2 if not +3 before progressing to Gascoigne.

If you run low on bullets remember you can press up on the d-pad to get 5 more from your HP, a good tactic to use is when you have a full stock of 20 blood vials and an enemy drops one, use some HP for blood bullets, then use a vial to heal back up, then pick up the enemy drop = back to 20 vials + 5 free bullets.

Ferr986

Thanks so much for all the tips! Im really going to spend a decent amount of time in the first area with the combat and try and get the basics down. I think these types of games reputation might be more scary than its actual combat but who knows.

Yeah, I kinda figured starting class might not be that important for first run through, so will go for a balanced class and I do plan on exploring the first area alot to get use to the combat so hopefully I stumble across the armour.

Cheers, Im usually pretty patient with games (although had some exceptions) so I will thoroughly explore the first area to get a feel. Im generally pretty cautious in sword action rpg games, but I read you have to be aggressive in BB for the health regen. So practice in the first area will be good to have and it wont really matter how much i die anyway, so I dont mind that first few hours learning curve.

Edit - Ah the weapon, not sure yet. Most people seem to reccomend axe or cleaver. They wont be too hard to get both early on in the game right? Dos it really matter or am I stuck with one weapon for a long time?

Almost downloaded now, so will come check in tommorow with some thoughts and more likely to ask for more tips, haha.

Thanks everyone!

You get either a cleaver or an axe just starting (you have to choose) , you can find them later on around the map too.

IMO, axe is easier for beginners, because of it's longer reach and spin2win attack. Both are good though. You'll find other weapons pretty early too.

You get either a cleaver or an axe just starting (you have to choose) , you can find them later on around the map too.

IMO, axe is easier for beginners, because of it's longer reach and spin2win attack. Both are good though. You'll find other weapons pretty early too.

You won't find other 2 weapons in the map, you do however find the thing that let you purchase them.

I won't spoil it.

You can choose the Threaded Cane from the start too, right?

That's my favourite weapon, and it's reach is fantastic. You can also cosplay as both classy gentleman or a Belmont, so it's a win win.

Ferr986

You can choose the Threaded Cane from the start too, right?

That's my favourite weapon, and it's reach is fantastic. You can also cosplay as both classy gentleman or a Belmont, so it's a win win.

Yes, the cane is the 3rd option. I feel it's the hardest for beginners though, whip form felt slow and doesn't do as much damage as the other weapons. More reach though. Of course that's just me though.

Yes, the cane is the 3rd option. I feel it's the hardest for beginners though, whip form felt slow and doesn't do as much damage as the other weapons. More reach though. Of course that's just me though.

It trivialises
bridge wolves
though, which are apparently the first big skill test in the game for players new to the Souls style of gameplay.

Thanks everyone!

Just a heads up:
Make sure you buy the DLC. It's accessible during your playthrpugh and it's absolutely fantastic with fights that are easily the best in the entire series. If you end up enjoying Bloodborne you certainly will not regret picking it up.

Wamb0wneD

Just a heads up:
Make sure you buy the DLC. It's accessible during your playthrpugh and it's absolutely fantastic with fights that are easily the best in the entire series. If you end up enjoying Bloodborne you certainly will not regret picking it up.

Fuck almost forgot this. Yeah, definetly get that DLC. Might want to look up how to access it because you might not run across the solution on your own though lol.

alt27

Played about 3 hours so far, loving it!

Just beat the first beast boss. Took me about 5 attempts to get the timings down and the patterns but got it in the end. Manged to find two insights and got the cool looking armour. Probably missed a ton but will need to go back and farm probably ,so will explore more.

I was getting first boss down close a couple of times but then ran out of vials so had to go farm for more echoes to buy some more for the last attempt. You can only carry 20? Is there no storage for them? I could see it being a little annoying as the game goes on and you just have to farm them if you need to repeat boss fights over and over.

Loving the music, the combat is great, and the world is fantatsic.

Im sure it gets a shit ton harder but so far Im liking the diffculty. I know it took me a long time just to clear the first guy but getting use to the enemy movoments has been good. Not quite got the parry down with the gun yet, so need to practice that.

Really really glad I bought this. Your tips were excellent, so thanks. Im sure I will be back salty as all hell when the game ramps up the difficulty!

Ferr986

Just beat the first beast boss. Took me about 5 attempts to get the timings down and the patterns but got it in the end. Manged to find two insights and got the cool looking armour. Probably missed a ton but will need to go back and farm probably ,so will explore more.

I was getting first boss down close a couple of times but then ran out of vials so had to go farm for more echoes to buy some more for the last attempt. You can only carry 20? Is there no storage for them? I could see it being a little annoying as the game goes on and you just have to farm them if you need to repeat boss fights over and over.

Im sure it gets a shit ton harder but so far Im liking the diffculty. I know it took me a long time just to clear the first guy but getting use to the enemy movoments has been good. Not quite got the parry down with the gun yet, so need to practice that.

Really really glad I bought this. Your tips were excellent, so thanks. Im sure I will be back salty as all hell when the game ramps up the difficulty!

You can only have 20 vials on you, but if you get more vials while full they go to the storage, and when you reload (a death or a warp) they automatically move to your 20 vials inventory.

The start of the game tends to be the hardest part as a newcomer (this applies to Dark Souls too) so if you're enjoying the difficulty and overall the game I think you're good to go :)

About the parry... although it's true that it makes everything easier, I gotta tell you that I barely use it lol I finished everything without relying to it, so even though I recommend practicing it, dont worry if you can't get onto it, you can beat everything without touching it.

You can only carry 20? Is there no storage for them? I could see it being a little annoying as the game goes on and you just have to farm them if you need to repeat boss fights over and over.
Carry 20 max, but any extra you pick up automatically goes in to storage at the Hunter's Dream (just inside the door on the right).

Best thing to do is after leveling up spend any extra on blood vials, or just skip leveling up after a boss defeat every now and again to stock up.

Im sure I will be back salty as all hell when the game ramps up the difficulty!

Chances are you're better prepared whenever that happens. ;) You're making impressive progress already for a first-time player! :D The vials: try buying them with spare blood echoes after leveling up. At the beginning you may have to grind a bit, even...It won't be a problem after the second boss or so because you should have enough echoes to get some when you're in the Hunter's Dream.

alt27

You can only have 20 vials on you, but if you get more vials while full they go to the storage, and when you reload (a death or a warp) they automatically move to your 20 vials inventory.

The start of the game tends to be the hardest part as a newcomer (this applies to Dark Souls too) so if you're enjoying the difficulty and overall the game I think you're good to go :)

About the parry... although it's true that it makes everything easier, I gotta tell you that I barely use it lol I finished everything without relying to it, so even though I recommend practicing it, dont worry if you can't get onto it, you can beat everything without touching it.

Carry 20 max, but any extra you pick up automatically goes in to storage at the Hunter's Dream (just inside the door on the right).

Best thing to do is after leveling up spend any extra on blood vials, or just skip leveling up after a boss defeat every now and again to stock up.

Chances are you're better prepared whenever that happens. ;) You're making impressive progress already for a first-time player! :D The vials: try buying them with spare blood echoes after leveling up. At the beginning you may have to grind a bit, even...It won't be a problem after the second boss or so because you should have enough echoes to get some when you're in the Hunter's Dream.

Good to know. I will be buying some extras after levelling each time. Regarding levelling, Is it best to focus on vitality first? Or would you reccomend on keeping a balanced approach on the skill/strength/endurance as well? Endurance comes back so quick but It seems super useful in the boss fights so was running out of it alot. And I imagine when you get a boss whos much quicker, rather than the slow first beast, endurance would be very useful.

Damn you are doing really good! Hard to believe you never played a Souls game before!

You can press 口 on items to read their description, it really help understanding the world and lore, and often you will learn about some character's or boss' backstory through these item descriptions, it's part of the gameplay and often gives you room for imagination. Souls games like to tell its story through environment, NPC dialogue and item descriptions, they are the best archaeology games IMO.

Did you talked to the NPC near the second lamp at Central Yharnam? You can talk to him through the window.

Those purple incense lights near door and windows usually indicates there's a NPC inside, that one (you'll know his name once you talk to him) near the lamp has a lot to say, and you should pay him a visit once in a while.

It's...*cough*...worth it in the end.

Ferr986

Good to know. I will be buying some extras after levelling each time. Regarding levelling, Is it best to focus on vitality first? Or would you reccomend on keeping a balanced approach on the skill/strength/endurance as well? Endurance comes back so quick but It seems super useful in the boss fights so was running out of it alot. And I imagine when you get a boss whos much quicker, rather than the slow first beast, endurance would be very useful.

Vitality > Endurance > whatever stats your current weapon of choice use (STR or SKL).

Mind you, take a lot of the grade scaling letter of your weapon, if it's C/C, for example, it increases damage evenly between both STR and SKL.

Also, because how softcaps works, let's say a weapon is C/D in STR/SKL, after you reach 25 STR, you may get more damage per point leveling SKL to 25, because the first softcap is 25, and the D scaling still gives enough damage. After 25, of course, it's better to go the primary stat to level till 50 (the second softcap, and where you should stop leveling that stat). You can see how much attack every level gives at the level up menu.

Btw, VIT cap is 50 too, although you don't need it that high unless you're diving into late game Chalices. 20-25 END should be enough, but that varies depending on your weapon (some eat more stamina than others).

alt27

Damn you are doing really good! Hard to believe you never played a Souls game before!

Did you talked to the NPC near the second lamp at Central Yharnam? You can talk to him through the window.

Those purple incense lights near door and windows usually indicates there's a NPC inside, that one (you'll know his name once you talk to him) near the lamp has a lot to say, and you should pay him a visit once in a while.

It's...*cough*...worth it in the end.

I have been knocking on the doors and only one that really gave me any side quest was a little girl and I got a bell I think, Havent progressed it any further yet though so have to find the next step.

But yeah will be sure to be exploring alot from now on.Dont want to miss any of these little advantages.

alt27

Vitality > Endurance > whatever stats your current weapon of choice use (STR or SKL).

Mind you, take a lot of the grade scaling letter of your weapon, if it's C/C, for example, it increases damage evenly between both STR and SKL.

Also, because how softcaps works, let's say a weapon is C/D in STR/SKL, after you reach 25 STR, you may get more damage per point leveling SKL to 25, because the first softcap is 25, and the D scaling still gives enough damage. After 25, of course, it's better to go the primary stat to level till 50 (the second softcap, and where you should stop leveling that stat). You can see how much attack every level gives at the level up menu.

Btw, VIT cap is 50 too, although you don't need it that high unless you're diving into late game Chalices. 20-25 END should be enough, but that varies depending on your weapon (some eat more stamina than others).

Very useful, thanks. Im using the axe at the moment, but when I play again I want to try and add another weapon to the arsenal, so will be farming for a while before I attempt the second boss I think.

I have been knocking on the doors and only one that really gave me any side quest was a little girl and I got a bell I think, Havent progressed it any further yet though so have to find the next step.

But yeah will be sure to be exploring alot from now on.Dont want to miss any of these little advantages.

The lamp I refer to is the lamp you respawn every time you die, there's someone in the house right next to it. Can only talk through window tho.

Very useful, thanks. Im using the axe at the moment, but when I play again I want to try and add another weapon to the arsenal, so will be farming for a while before I attempt the second boss I think.

Nice, have you tried that spin 2 win?

alt27

The lamp I refer to is the lamp you respawn every time you die, there's someone in the house right next to it. Can only talk through window tho.

Nice, have you tried that spin 2 win?

Thanks, will be sure to check that out.

And the spin 2 win is awesome! Got to get the timing down though!

Thanks, will be sure to check that out.

And the spin 2 win is awesome! Got to get the timing down though!
You going to do the dlc? If so it has the best strength weapon in the game. If you do a second character try doing a skill/bloodtinge build and going after the Chikage.

You going to do the dlc? If so it has the best strength weapon in the game. If you do a second character try doing a skill/bloodtinge build and going after the Chikage.

Well the DLC is kinda late game tho, he literally just started.

It's not like he is gonna tackle the DLC at level 35 like some crazy Souls veteran livestreamer that got stuck for nearly 6 hours anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

It's not like he is gonna tackle the DLC at level 35 like some crazy Souls veteran livestreamer that got stuck for nearly 6 hours anyway.

Right. Let's not recommend speed-run/min-maxing optimizing strategies to a completely new player shall we?

Let's just let them play the game and discover things by themselves. The early game has good strength weapons too, like the Kirkhammer or Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Sounds like something Lobos would do. I would honestly just run passed everything till I got to said weapon and warp the fuck out of there.
When in the game progress do you guys recommend going to the dlc? I think I can go now but my character might not be strong enough
Right before you beat the game...and then steamroll the final boss afterwards.

This just reminds me of the fact that not being able to bring over any equipment from a completed save character to a new character (even if it's a toggle) is one of my main gripes with the series.

Like, the Chikage is awesome, but you need a very specific build for that, and you only get it in the last 1/3 of the game. So you have to play through the first bit screwing yourself over with a build that's impractical for most other weapons in the game, then finish the last bit of the game with it, so then you can do a full playthrough on NG+ from start to finish with it.

This just reminds me of the fact that not being able to bring over any equipment from a completed save character to a new character (even if it's a toggle) is one of my main gripes with the series.

Like, the Chikage is awesome, but you need a very specific build for that, and you only get it in the last 1/3 of the game. So you have to play through the first bit screwing yourself over with a build that's impractical for most other weapons in the game, then finish the last bit of the game with it, so then you can do a full playthrough on NG+ from start to finish with it.
You don't have to wait that long to get the Chikage. You can get to Cainhurst after the witches, but it takes a bit to grind out the levels to take on Logarius. No way am I doing him super low level.

Toxi

Banned
When in the game progress do you guys recommend going to the dlc? I think I can go now but my character might not be strong enough
I personally would recommend to start exploring the DLC when you defeat Rom; the first area drops Twin Bloodstone Shards with a few Chunks, but is pretty difficult compared to any other area where the main drops are Twin Bloodstone Shards. If you still find it too difficult (The first boss will probably kick your ass if you're using a +6 weapon), wait until you reach very endgame and there's a significant change to the Hunter's Dream. Do not fight the final boss before doing the DLC; you'll immediately go to NG+ and will have to beat Amelia again to unlock it. And NG+ DLC bosses are no joke.

Sounds like something Lobos would do. I would honestly just run passed everything till I got to said weapon and warp the fuck out of there.

Yeah, I always get the Saif right after A
melia
and then just nope the fuck out.

Assuming you are on NG, you should be fine for the DLC once you hit level 80 (plus or minus 5 depends on your skill level), it is also recommended that you upgrade your weapon to at least +8, the DLC is literally one the hardest part of the game (other than those cursed dungeons) but it is also the best part.

DLC is better than the base game in pretty much everyway, and that's saying a lot, if the whole game was like the DLC then I would rank Bloodborne even higher than Dark Souls 1, which is the absolute best Souls game and one of the best game ever made.

Right before you beat the game...and then steamroll the final boss afterwards.

I personally would recommend to start exploring the DLC when you defeat Rom; the first area drops Twin Bloodstone Shards with a few Chunks, but is pretty difficult compared to any other area where the main drops are Twin Bloodstone Shards. If you still find it too difficult (The first boss will probably kick your ass if you're using a +6 weapon), wait until you reach very endgame and there's a significant change to the Hunter's Dream. Do not fight the final boss before doing the DLC; you'll immediately go to NG+ and will have to beat Amelia again to unlock it. And NG+ DLC bosses are no joke.

Thanks guys. I'm right before fighting the Wet Nurse. I fully upgraded the Holy Blade

Yeah, I always get the Saif right after A
melia
and then just nope the fuck out.

Assuming you are on NG, you should be fine for the DLC once you hit level 80 (plus or minus 5 depends on your skill level), it is also recommended that you upgrade your weapon to at least +8, the DLC is literally one the hardest part of the game (other than those cursed dungeons) but it is also the best part.

DLC is better than the base game in pretty much everyway, and that's saying a lot, if the whole game was like the DLC then I would rank Bloodborne even higher than Dark Souls 1, which is the absolute best Souls game and one of the best game ever made.

Thanks. Very helpful. I better check my level then lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Honestly, go in and give it a shot whenever you want. The level recommendations are just that - recommendations.

The DLC doesn't change if you leave halfway through. If you go in and make it through, then that's great. If you reach a part that's too hard at the moment, you can always step out, do some more areas in the main game, then go back in later.

Wamb0wneD

Now I gotta ask what the boss was that you beat, because there is an "optional" one. You're doing wawwwy better than I did at the start lol.

Do the DLC before Wet Nurse if you can

Honestly, go in and give it a shot whenever you want. The level recommendations are just that - recommendations.

The DLC doesn't change if you leave halfway through. If you go in and make it through, then that's great. If you reach a part that's too hard at the moment, you can always step out, do some more areas in the main game, then go back in later.

Thanks. I get worried lol since I visited upper cathedral and shit almost died, just when I thought I was pretty strong.

Top Bottom