• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Of course expectations and bandwidth and all that but this would seem to bode well for Halo 6 (or whatever the next one will be called) having these features (ability to deploy a dedi for a LAN, etc) at or near launch.

LANdedi would also hopefully be able to handle crossplay between Xbox and PC on the same LAN, if their goal is to have crossplay, since the server code would be platform agnostic

I *hope* the backend stuff is implemented in such a way that it can be re-used in Halo 6 without too much extra work. Launching with custom game and LAN support would be sweet and help to bring some launch-hype attention to the competitive and forging communities. Add in split screen support as well of course. Making it as easy as possible for people to play, create maps, and play-on-maps-created together is a part of the Halo experience which 5 didn't provide at launch.

Fuchsdh

All Halo 6 really needs to do for me to be a win on the multi side is launch with everything 5 has now.

Although I imagine Breakout won't make it.

And give me Gun game.

Feels good to be optimistic about Halo again.

I really like how it seems MCC will be the focus in 2018, and they can spend more time on Halo 6 for 2019 or beyond.

wwm0nkey

Feels good to be optimistic about Halo again.

I really like how it seems MCC will be the focus in 2018, and they can spend more time on Halo 6 for 2019 or beyond.
End of Life support for Halo 5 for 2017-2018 and MMC Redux in 2018 makes the wait for 2019 Halo pretty easy.

Finaj

I'm surprised how many people think this will delay the next Halo installment. Them also working with an external team signals to me that they don't want to take away resources from Halo 6.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What modes will the new LAN server support? Will warzone be possible or will it depends on the resources of the computer itself?

It's custom games so Warzone won't be available. All custom games maps and modes should be supported just fine, and 16 players as well. Although, you should expect that a 16 player session will require better PC specs than an 8 player session, but still quite reasonable.

Observer mode is also supported. There's a nifty little feature that the dev team put in - from the server browser, you can join a game as an Observer. As long as max part size allows, of course. Should be helpful for grassroots tournaments, and potentially bouncing from station to station on stream.

It'd be really cool to see Reach get an update for the X1X, with the new update, and it being the only halo game without a current gen equivalent, it'd be the perfect time to do it, and really get some positive buzz around the update as well.

so there has been more information on the MCC than just that one spring update which includes some bug fixes and xbox one x enhancements? i dont think they will focus a lot of attention on MCC tbh.

Haruko

so there has been more information on the MCC than just that one spring update which includes some bug fixes and xbox one x enhancements? i dont think they will focus a lot of attention on MCC tbh.

They plan to use the Xbox Insider program to test rounds of updates for MCC, it seems?

They plan to use the Xbox Insider program to test rounds of updates for MCC, it seems?

hmmmmm.....

or maybe they could have a separate sign up for those who want to test the updates.(go to website, sign in and click yes to sign up for 'preview testers'. Then at e3, they have an announcement that the update is live to everyone followed by the halo 6 trailer creating 'positive hype'. i suspect the trailer to focus all on the mc.

Trup1aya

It's custom games so Warzone won't be available. All custom games maps and modes should be supported just fine, and 16 players as well. Although, you should expect that a 16 player session will require better PC specs than an 8 player session, but still quite reasonable.

Observer mode is also supported. There's a nifty little feature that the dev team put in - from the server browser, you can join a game as an Observer. As long as max part size allows, of course. Should be helpful for grassroots tournaments, and potentially bouncing from station to station on stream.

Amazing. Can't wait to test it out. Haven't been this happy as a halo fan in a long time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
End of Life support for Halo 5 for 2017-2018 and MMC Redux in 2018 makes the wait for 2019 Halo pretty easy.

especially if they can work out getting forge maps into HCS. perhaps using x1x could help, at least with performance snags

Karl2177

Cool cool. Is there an ETA on more info for this?

That's fantastic.

Halo 5 is bulging with content and community tools these days. I really hope Halo 6 just builds on the base set by its predecessor and launches with a full feature set. I do think H5 launching in the relatively bare bones state that it did hurt player retention.

BizzyBum

Closer to launch there will be a full FAQ on how it works, what are required specs, etc.

Can you elaborate when ske7ch said the Xbox One X version for Halo 5 will play better? Does that imply it'll have the smoother and more responsive aiming system the PC version has currently?

nillapuddin

*this is a test so I can repost this when people want to play again, but everyone gets to be guinea pigs for my self promotion right now*

Most of yall know Im big into Forge and I love this game, all of my builds were completed by April 2016 so nothing *new* if you know me, but I have gone back and updated them over time with new pieces.

If you dont know my work, Ive been lucky enough to have some smash hits in my day, I've helped collect and collaborate on the remake playlists of the last 3 games (although never getting my own stuff in... ) and generally know my way around. My maps will make you happy, trust me.

Heres a look at my Forge portfolio from this game that I would much appreciate everyone considers for their custom game desires

Avalanche
It should go without saying. Nok (and I!) created a masta-peece, play it with pistol starts
G0r5Wrdl.png

Rats Nest
I love this map, I really really do. If you haven't tried this out, do it, clean, easy, fun.
gODJsi2.png

Highlands
Its hard in a screenshot to capture the feel of this map, if you remember it, you know this is a huuge map and was one of my greatest challenges but (not bragging) I crushed it
rJizGNC.png

Containment
This is my sleeper pick, Im not sure if it was the timing of when I put it out, peoples unfamiliarity, the unique look or what, but this never caught on and its a shame. Visually this is the most fun Ive ever had with a build, I implore you to check it out
gp4o0ih.png

Relic
'One of the greats' I have always loved this map and I was ecstatic to bring it to H5, still no 1-flag.. but try it!
U8CBRox.png

Foundation: Source
Just for fun pet project, what if Foundation was made in low poly 90's era graphics or a hyper modern design? Heres the answer.
2Hdc5JS.png

Longshore
Love the geometry of this map, a great night time spooky atmosphere
wZcXWTs.png

Rats Nest "Anniversary"
Heres a side project, converting my design to a more faithful visual style (this is evolving on a semi day-to-day basis)
QTo0TOC.png

3 Point Shootout
3 Point Gametype
x5DOQKM.png

Heres a fun mini-game to play with up to 8 players, run around like crazy and throw bombs into the hoop

Smashketball Arena
Smashketball Arena
iDiIo9q.png

Do you like the throwing ball in hoop thing? cool, now you're being hunted by spawn killing thirsty grifballers

In conclusion, enjoy!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
*this is a test so I can repost this when people want to play again, but everyone gets to be guinea pigs for my self promotion right now*

Most of yall know Im big into Forge and I love this game, all of my builds were completed by April 2016 so nothing *new* if you know me, but I have gone back and updated them over time with new pieces.

If you dont know my work, Ive been lucky enough to have some smash hits in my day, I've helped collect and collaborate on the remake playlists of the last 3 games (although never getting my own stuff in... ) and generally know my way around. My maps will make you happy, trust me.

Heres a look at my Forge portfolio from this game that I would much appreciate everyone considers for their custom game desires

In conclusion, enjoy!
This makes me really want to fire up the game and play. <3 Highlands and Avalanche.

In conclusion, enjoy!

Those look really, really well done from the screenshots. Will try to get a look at them soon.

nillapuddin

This makes me really want to fire up the game and play. <3 Highlands and Avalanche.

Those look really, really well done from the screenshots. Will try to get a look at them soon.

Appreciate it guys, I'm super glad, go check them out!

I said this in the post but it bears repeating, Im tellin yall, the Containment is one of the most unique environments Ive ever constructed and its really cool in game

Also try Avalanche Classic which was built to the H3 Classic Playlist specs and supports the new Halo 3 Classic game types.

Yes! I forgot to add that, I had it on an open tab and left it out on accident

PLAY OUR MAPS. GIVE US COMPLIMENTS!!!!
lol

Really glad Halo 5 is getting the skull back for Oddball. Now if we only had one-sided objective and proper BTB maps...

*cough see post above cough*

;)

I know whatcha mean though

p.s.
Im just sayin, Smashketball is fun on a stick, try it out
(and nok helped me with scoring and containment so it wont be shitty and break online)

Karl2177

I'm going to hop on your coattails and post my own map that never got any attention because I hate marketing maps. This is Glass House, and I was doing the white + gold before Destiny 2 made it cool.

It takes elements from the Pit, such as the awning rising up from the higher half of the map and the back hallway up top, while also making changes to sightlines and changing the middle wall into a hallway.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm going to hop on your coattails and post my own map that never got any attention because I hate marketing maps. This is Glass House, and I was doing the white + gold before Destiny 2 made it cool.

It takes elements from the Pit, such as the awning rising up from the higher half of the map and the back hallway up top, while also making changes to sightlines and changing the middle wall into a hallway.

Gold-in-Here.jpg

Should be priorities for Halo 6 imo, it would certainly get me interested. Some of my best memories in Halo are on one-side objective maps.

Without a shadow of a doubt if 1 flag/bomb on mid-sized non-symmetrical maps came back with light vehicles my Halo buddies would be back, easily 10+ players returning.

Then again those same players would come back if H6 goes with the D2 PvE models.

EDIT: Is there interest or fear of MCC crossplay with PC/Xbox? Me, I'd welcome the population boost.

RSB

Banned
Without a shadow of a doubt if 1 flag/bomb on mid-sized non-symmetrical maps came back with light vehicles my Halo buddies would be back, easily 10+ players returning.

Then again those same players would come back if H6 goes with the D2 PvE models.
Destiny's PvE model would definitely be more fun with Halo's superior gameplay, but I'd greatly prefer a (good) classic Halo campaign. That, coupled with an actual Firefight mode would be more than enough for my PvE needs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can you elaborate when ske7ch said the Xbox One X version for Halo 5 will play better? Does that imply it'll have the smoother and more responsive aiming system the PC version has currently?

When I first went hands on, I noticed a difference in how it felt right away. Definitely felt more responsive and of course the fidelity of 4k was incredible. Haven't played the PC version in some time, so can't compare the two.

Detective

When I first went hands on, I noticed a difference in how it felt right away. Definitely felt more responsive and of course the fidelity of 4k was incredible. Haven't played the PC version in some time, so can't compare the two.

Any words on future Halo connection solutions? Too early?

Mau5

No way the games are not going to be 4K @ 60FPS

Now I just need those PC versions for 4K @144 :)

my life would be complete if MCC and H5 came to PC. i gotta say im excited for Halo again. It feels good. hopefully things keep getting better and H6 is insane

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

This is pretty big. I wonder what the underlying issue is to apparently cause the pc and x1x version to feel significantly better?

This is pretty big. I wonder what the underlying issue is to apparently cause the pc and x1x version to feel significantly better?

Havent played PC version, but I imagine (based on no proper testing) that it's due to a difference in input-lag. H5 engine on vanilla Xbox One likely has some funky stuff going on which exacerbates input-lag, whereas that's eschewed with the monumental power increase.

Top Bottom