• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Martian

So i came back to HOI4 after taking a break for a few months, but my FPS have drastically gone down.

I have a 480, and it used to be a slow fps-show at around 1945, but its almost unplayable at around 1941 already. Even when turning down almost everything, the game refuses to run at a decent fps at even 2 or 3 times speed.

Does anyone else experience this? Or have a fix?

So i came back to HOI4 after taking a break for a few months, but my FPS have drastically gone down.

I have a 480, and it used to be a slow fps-show at around 1945, but its almost unplayable at around 1941 already. Even when turning down almost everything, the game refuses to run at a decent fps at even 2 or 3 times speed.

Does anyone else experience this? Or have a fix?

It's a CPU bottleneck, not a GPU one. 1.4 seems to have reduced performance, most likely tied to the AI changes they made.

Aggressive expansion is just a number they said. I felt since taking three provinces from this catholic heathen (Braunschweig) that insulted me and also took my land 20 years prior would result in no coalition, how bad could it be then if I took four instead, probably low on the lower end of aggressive expansion points spectrum and a lower chance of coalition? oh... nope.
KbBviND.png

Uzzy

You could have beaten that, but Ulm joined against you so you're pretty doomed.

Also, it does warn you about possible coalitions when you're taking land in the peace treaty.

You could have beaten that, but Ulm joined against you so you're pretty doomed.

Also, it does warn you about possible coalitions when you're taking land in the peace treaty.

Yeah, after adding the fourth province, but sometimes when I play I get lucky and no coalition forms when most of the penalty points land being on the lower end even though many countries would get it.

Any way in the end I actually had to release one province for Pomerania to exist again but Braunschweig is still wiped off the map from the war that caused the coalition in the first place, but it fucked over my ally Brandenburg hard because they had to cede territory back to Pomerania as well (that I actually helped Brandenburg take much earlier). Now Brandenburg is super pissed at me.

I actually haven't played within the HRE for quite some time now too, it's a lot of fun doing it again.

I'll never understand how the AI has this many casualties. 8 million compared to less than million.

Worse templates, overruns and encirclements (especially if the enemy has air superiority so they're slower to retreat). If you had some kind of defensive line to start with and they were mindlessly bashing against it the whole time then that would also explain a good chunk of it.

Worse templates, overruns and encirclements (especially if the enemy has air superiority so they're slower to retreat). If you had some kind of defensive line to start with and they were mindlessly bashing against it the whole time then that would also explain a good chunk of it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I didn't attack at first and just let them just keep bashing against my defensive. Once I see that they start to get low then I attack. I pretty much just rinse and repeat that. My templates are pretty garbage though. All I have is 3x3 inf with 3 arty. Plus some cav divisions.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I didn't attack at first and just let them just keep bashing against my defensive. Once I see that they start to get low then I attack. I pretty much just rinse and repeat that. My templates are pretty garbage though. All I have is 3x3 inf with 3 arty. Plus some cav divisions.

Forts? 6inf 3 art is a powerful division regardless of other factors, that's a crapload of firepower and if you're in defensive positions - even without forts, just in decent terrain / behind rivers - you'll definitely be slaughtering them en masse.

Once they get to the point where their divisions are all understrength, that's the time to counterattack and start wiping out formations.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The AI is almost always too aggressive, but the Soviet AI is particularly self-destructive for some reason. Even with max entrenchment, forts constructed along the entire border, and the Soviet attacks basically failing instantly, they'll still grind themselves down to almost nothing. I don't know why it's so hard for the AI to recognize an obviously hopeless battle. It's been a huge problem since at least HOI3.

The AI is almost always too aggressive, but the Soviet AI is particularly self-destructive for some reason. Even with max entrenchment, forts constructed along the entire border, and the Soviet attacks basically failing instantly, they'll still grind themselves down to almost nothing. I don't know why it's so hard for the AI to recognize an obviously hopeless battle. It's been a huge problem since at least HOI3.

I don't know why a lot of things are the way they are, lol.

I feel like ol' buddy Clauzewitz might need to be taken out the back and shot before they try another HoI with it. At minimum they're going to need to do a serious rethink about how they approach AI with the engine.

I don't know why a lot of things are the way they are, lol.

I feel like ol' buddy Clauzewitz might need to be taken out the back and shot before they try another HoI with it. At minimum they're going to need to do a serious rethink about how they approach AI with the engine.

Is the AI really an engine specific thing?

Is the AI really an engine specific thing?

I'm not sure but it sounds like a lot of their stuff is connected to the engine ticks, particularly "month" ticks (which are actually every 24 hours in HoI4 but are analogous to months in the EU series). Unit controller stuff seems to be extremely process intensive and the engine is only moderately threaded. SteelVolt (the AI guy) said that one of the biggest barriers to fixing problems like suicide convoys was that determining what routes were "safe" (navally speaking) would cause huge processing spikes.

I'm not sure but it sounds like a lot of their stuff is connected to the engine ticks, particularly "month" ticks (which are actually every 24 hours in HoI4 but are analogous to months in the EU series). Unit controller stuff seems to be extremely process intensive and the engine is only moderately threaded. SteelVolt (the AI guy) said that one of the biggest barriers to fixing problems like suicide convoys was that determining what routes were "safe" (navally speaking) would cause huge processing spikes.

That makes sense, especially how with how poorly the engine handles multi-threading. Clausewitz is a decade old already.

That makes sense, especially how with how poorly the engine handles multi-threading. Clausewitz is a decade old already.

It seems odd to me (the suicide convoy specifically) because they already have calculations determining naval superiority. What seems most lacking is more of a strategic AI rather than tactical.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
How do guarantees work in HOI4? Sometimes the Allies will guarantee a nation the moment world tension hits 25% (even if I already started justifying war), and sometimes they don't guarantee at all when I've already began justifying war once world tension reaches 25%. When the former happens, it's almost impossible to start an early war without the Allies getting involved, because world tension hits 25% in late 1937. That doesn't give me enough time to both turn fascist/communist and justify a war goal. I once played a game as Poland and had to spend the entire game fighting the Allies because they guaranteed Czechoslovakia when I was nearly done with the war justification. Yet other times I can easily justify a war without any guarantees at all as long as I start justifying before world tension hits 25%. Sometimes I get different results with the same nation even when taking the exact same actions each time.

How do guarantees work in HOI4? Sometimes the Allies will guarantee a nation the moment world tension hits 25% (even if I already started justifying war), and sometimes they don't guarantee at all when I've already began justifying war once world tension reaches 25%. When the former happens, it's almost impossible to start an early war without the Allies getting involved, because world tension hits 25% in late 1937. That doesn't give me enough time to both turn fascist/communist and justify a war goal. I once played a game as Poland and had to spend the entire game fighting the Allies because they guaranteed Czechoslovakia when I was nearly done with the war justification. Yet other times I can easily justify a war without any guarantees at all as long as I start justifying before world tension hits 25%. Sometimes I get different results with the same nation even when taking the exact same actions each time.

I don't know all of the factors involved, but both your ideology and the target's ideology are somehow factored in. They will generally not guarantee fascist nations, and I'm unsure about communist ones either. In some cases it may be as simple as they don't have enough PP to spare based on whatever priorities they have. But again, I'm not totally certain as I rarely play aggressive minors.

New HOI 4 dev diary out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-chain-of-command.1043825/

Basically changes to command structure/order of battle and free with 1.5 (not exclusive to the expansion that is still to be announced).

"When it comes to controlling your troops the new system introduces some changes to the battle planner. You can either do a plan for each army in the army group, or have a central plan for the whole Army Group where each army has a part of the frontline assigned as its responsibility. You can also do a mix, in which case an Army will finish its plan and then fall back to executing the Army Group's plan. We are still iteration on this stuff though but I figured you all wanted to know how it would work in practice."

I hope this also helps the AI with flexibility with dealing with the frontline and not make it worse, personally this is one of the things of HoI 4 I disliked with how much they abstracted military organisation from HoI 3.

Top Bottom