• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT16| The Last Thread🛈

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Me when patch arrives.
giphy.gif

Kreygasm.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
mfw first major of the season guna be on SHIT PATCH with SHIT HEROES; it's not like a brand new patch showcased at a major will be free advertising and bring back many players or anything !!

sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

bu bu bu bu releasing da patch before tournament will rUIN DA TOURNAMENT, winning teams only win cuz of CHEESE strats this not fair !!!!!! inconceivable, teams experimenting with new and old heroes, adapting to new changes ???? can't get outdrafted or outplayed early in a patch cycle, only cheeeeesed. holy shit i hate totally skill-less cheese-fest fuk new patches !!! personally i enjoy seeing who can play the same 13 heroes in the best possible manner repetitively every game, so stable much wow AMAZING

o wait we already know who can do that - liquid

GET THE FUCKING NEW PATCH OUT PLSSSSSSSSSS
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

edit: wait....

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/7779yr/yeah_so/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=DotA2

SirBelvedere said:
Note: So I am still trying to figure this out. If I feel the speculation is invalid somehow, then I will delete this thread.
So there's something I have to say.
The file structure of Dota is controlled by a file on the backend that tells the game what set of files to load when the client is booted depending on the server and client parameters set.
By default, two folder structures called dota and core are loaded. These are what the game runs on. 'core' has files pertaining to the Workshop Tools and etc and 'dota' has files pertaining to the game.
If e.g.: you are on the Low Violence version of the client, the same file informs the client to boot up a different set of tiles which has the Low Violence content. Same with when you are using the client on a different language setting.
So the interesting part is -- to this file yesterday -- this was added and then removed.
> dota/addons/metamod
This is basically a reference for the game to look into the folder "dota/addons/metamod/" and load those files. The parameter to trigger this was set to default and nothing special.
There is no sub-folder called addons/metamod so obviously there are no files currently. Also this is a very unique place to load the files from. It is in the same folder structure that loads up the rest of the default game.
Theory (speculation): Given the location and name of the directory, I can't help but feel that this is the stable version of the game (7.06f) -- considering it's called meta mod? So maybe when the new patch hits, we might actually have two different modes that the game can load from.
Also, there were two dedicated server updates to yesterday's patch. The first one could have accidentally added this which was then removed with the second push because it was not meant to be live.
Maybe I am over thinking this because it never actually made the patch yesterday but just wanted to put it out there anyway.

star-wars-4.png

Twookie

Alone across an untouched darkness gleamed the Keeper's first sun, a singular point of conscious light fated to spread warmth into the empty void. Through aeons beyond count this blinding beacon set to coalescing its incalculable energy before bursting forth the cataclysmic flare of supernova. From this inferno raced new beacons, star progeny identical to its parent, who journeyed an unlit ocean and settled in constellatory array. In time, they too would be made to propagate through supernova flame. So would this dazzling cycle of birth and rebirth repeat until all skies hewn of Titan toil deigned to twinkle and shine.

By this ageless crucible the star that mortals would come to call Phoenix collapsed into being, and like its ancestors was thrust into an endless cosmos to find a place among its stellar brethren. Yet curiosity toward that which the dimming elders comfort in the darkness consumed the fledgling, and so over long cycles it inquired and studied. It learned that among worlds both whole and broken would soon stir a nexus of remarkable variety locked in an enduring conflict of cosmic consequence, a plane which would find itself in need of more influence than a dying sun's distant rays could provide. Thus this infant son of suns took terrestrial form, eagerly travelling to shine its warmth upon those who may need it most, and perhaps seize upon its solar destiny.

qazqaNii

Damn I am for some reason quite disappointed atm, I don't even want to play the game before the new patch, hell I've only played 3 games this week, and some arcade games.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
it's over

we will have to console ourselves by crying over every pugna / prophet / veno / ns / earthshaker / puck / earth-spirit pick at the major

is this actually the first patch where there is no ultra cancer traditional carry ?

qazqaNii

it's over

we will have to console ourselves by crying over every pugna / prophet / veno / ns / earthshaker / puck / earth-spirit pick at the major

is this actually the first patch where there is no ultra cancer traditional carry ?

Doesn't veno qualify as the ultra cancer carry? =(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
im sure icefrog is trolling us by only updating the private test client at night and in the mornings for the last 3-4 days

giving us that false hope that patch is fully baked and rdy for release during the day

Doesn't veno qualify as the ultra cancer carry? =(

sure but i wouldn't call him a traditional carry

i guess the closest thing would be like sven before the nerfs (still good, but not ultra cancer imo) or necro if u consider him a traditional carry

dat 4 position is king now

Artanisix

im sure icefrog is trolling us by only updating the private test client at night and in the mornings for the last 3-4 days

giving us that false hope that patch is fully baked and rdy for release during the day

sure but i wouldn't call him a traditional carry

i guess the closest thing would be like sven before the nerfs (still good, but not ultra cancer imo) or necro if u consider him a traditional carry

dat 4 position is king now

u mean the 2 position?

traveler

Not Wario
Wonder if it's technically possible/worth it for Valve to introduce the capability for captain's mode to be on a different patch version than the rest of the game. (Or the ability to run the game on specific patch versions for any game for that matter) Would allow mid tourney patching without issue, although- at the frequency we get patches- not sure thats enough to justify developing such a feature.

shira

Wonder if it's technically possible/worth it for Valve to introduce the capability for captain's mode to be on a different patch version than the rest of the game. (Or the ability to run the game on specific patch versions for any game for that matter) Would allow mid tourney patching without issue, although- at the frequency we get patches- not sure thats enough to justify developing such a feature.

Used to do it all the time for the winter map.

Players wanted the grass map so there were separate patches for tournament games

Hylian7

It used to be an option in lobbies back in the day when new heroes were added all the time. I feel like I remember a couple of patches where they did that with balance patches. Granted I don't remember any of those balance patches having map changes, but I think that shouldn't matter.

ok so unrelated to patch shitposting (sorry) but did Valve do something to the queue where it goes faster if you have the window active?

for some reason if I queue and switch away and then check back at some random time a few minutes later, it often finds a match immediately, and I'm scared of this voodoo

qazqaNii

ok so unrelated to patch shitposting (sorry) but did Valve do something to the queue where it goes faster if you have the window active?

for some reason if I queue and switch away and then check back at some random time a few minutes later, it often finds a match immediately, and I'm scared of this voodoo

No, theres no way anyone would have dota as an active window while searching and just stare into nothingness. You were just unlucky queueing I guess, how long did queueing take with active and "inactive?" window for you?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

Probably a couple enigma quotes are applicable here

Qvoth

yeah the patch probably won't be out this week... not gonna lie this is quite disappointing from icefraud and valve :/

traveler

Not Wario
If I were a major attendee and this was my chance to see a big Valve sponsored tourney in person, I'd be incredibly disappointed if it were on the exact same major patch with basically the same meta as the last TI.

C'mon Valve. Drop it right before the tourneys. Just do it and be legends!

shira

- Format is Two group Bo3 GSL's. Top two advance to semifinals. Bo5 GF
- Today has three Bo3 Group A GSL matches
t1508400000z1.png

1. LGD*(ame, maybe, fy, yao, 357) vs Infamous**(kotaro, papita, stinger, scofield, accel)
followed by
2. Secret(ace, midone, fata, yapzor, puppey) vs Immortals(qo, mp, forev, febby, dubu)
followed by
3. Winner 1 vs winner 2

*LGD.Victoria out pancreatitis, 357 coach replacing
**DC.SA disband Infamous replacing

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
omg im so excited for all these tournaments!! so hyped for veno ns first pick every game true display of skill and stability!!! much stable so wow

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Mason replied someone on twitch saying patch is after esl...
Was hoping for after pgl :(

Boring and disappointing.

Passing up an opportunity to reignite the base, showcase the patch, get some free advertising, and generate excitement. Can still get outdrafted and outplayed on a fresh patch; hate how the common sentiment has somehow become that a fresh patch would "ruin" a tournament when it's the complete fuckin opposite.

Instead we get to watch the same clump of heroes played in the same manner as they have been for 6 months with everyone attempting to copy/emulate liquid.

After TI, all these comp games just blend together and we get nothing memorable. New patches and a fresh comp meta always produce memorable games and a memorable tournament.

GG

Yazzees

800k peak last week

600k peak this week

game is sinking exponentially harder as the wait drags on

i wish league's by-the-minute numbers were public instead of just "here's the ballpark number of all registered accounts ever", not that i think dota's got anything on it size-wise

Top Bottom