• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Did i just see an alien base in the new trailer???

:eek:

Looks like something alien :)

8zISXkP.png

Hylian7

So my Steam version updated, and now it just has Elite: Dangerous 32-bit, Elite: Dangerous 64-bit, and the combat training. Do I need to do anything to have Horizons or should the 64-bit version have it for me now (I own the lifetime pass)?

Also the game won't launch when I click play. Is that related to server issues?

TheTrain

So my Steam version updated, and now it just has Elite: Dangerous 32-bit, Elite: Dangerous 64-bit, and the combat training. Do I need to do anything to have Horizons or should the 64-bit version have it for me now (I own the lifetime pass)?

Also the game won't launch when I click play. Is that related to server issues?

From Reddit:

This is correct. I let Steam update the game (8gb) then loaded EDLaunch outside the game. Horizons is an option in the launcher and the game loaded instantly without having to download any extra data.

VERIFIED. I'm looking at horizons also in the steam copy
You just need to run edlaunch.exe directly

C: - Steam - Steamapps - Common - Elite Dangerous - EDLaunch.exe

Hylian7

From Reddit:

C: - Steam - Steamapps - Common - Elite Dangerous - EDLaunch.exe

Huh, so just like the beta then. I wonder if they are ever going to fix it where Horizons is on the Steam version.

Edit: I'm sure I'm late to this party but JESUS THAT MAIN MENU.

Reese-015

Using the non-Steam version, when done with downloading and installing Horizons, should I delete the 32-bit one or does that serve as the base game for Horizons? I find it weird that Horizons is a separate thing in the launcher.

Download speed is tanking horribly. Getting around 100-200kbps now but was running smooth when the patch first went out.

Steam is updating at 6.8MB/s, can't complain.

Yeah I decide to swap over to Steam as well. Frontier's client is having a bit of trouble it seems. Pity I'm back to starting from scratch on the download again.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, so I'm still at work, but I have the Steam version installed at home. When I get home to my PC what is the method I should use to update to Horizons?

1) do I just open steam and let it update automatically?
2) do I need to run the launcher directly from my steam directory and let it update via the launcher?
3) do I need to download the new 64 bit launcher from the Frontier Store and install that to my steam directory?
4) some other method? o_O

Wreav

Banned
Okay, so I'm still at work, but I have the Steam version installed at home. When I get home to my PC what is the method I should use to update to Horizons?

1) do I just open steam and let it update automatically?
2) do I need to run the launcher directly from my steam directory and let it update via the launcher?
3) do I need to download the new 64 bit launcher from the Frontier Store and install that to my steam directory?
4) some other method? o_O

I downloaded the new launcher manually and pointed it to my Steam directory, and then let Steam do its update thing to ED. After that, opening from Steam still opens the old launcher...I'm really regretting doing the Steam key at this point. Launching manually from folder opens correct version.

New version is blue, easily distinguishable:

qADWaB4.jpg

It's not the end of the world, you can just pin a shortcut to the correct launcher on your Start menu, but I'm losing all the value of having it as a Steam game at this point.

Mengy

It's also up on Steam

Steam keys are already up on the Frontier store if you have bought it there... but it seems the server gets hammered hard at the moment

Cool, just saw it posted on the official forums too that Steam keys are now available. I'll go to the Frontier store when I get home and get my key and do it normally through Steam!

Twinduct

Really want to like this game but really getting bogged down in the 'So what now?' flow of it. The missions seem completely pointless outside building relations. Mining/ training seems like such a time sink. Exploration gets super dull and hardly gives a decent enough monetary incentive.

Hell I feel the only thing left is bounty hunting and even that feels like a a cycle of jumping to a nav point and rotating between targets until you get a wanted sticker on one of them.

Am I doing something wrong? What and when did it click for you guys?

Another question, is there no way to request docking or interact with a target without having to go through that side window?

Akronis

Really want to like this game but really getting bogged down in the 'So what now?' flow of it. The missions seem completely pointless outside building relations. Mining/ training seems like such a time sink. Exploration gets super dull and hardly gives a decent enough monetary incentive.

Hell I feel the only thing left is bounty hunting and even that feels like a a cycle of jumping to a nav point and rotating between targets until you get a wanted sticker on one of them.

Another question, is there no way to request docking or interact with a target without having to go through that side window?

You're not doing anything wrong. It never clicked for me either.

Dizzy-4U

I've been extremely addicted to Elite since I started playing it last week. Curretly doing some bounty hunting with my new shinning Viper. So relaxing...

Question: Did you guys notice any increase in performance with the 64bit version? I'm still downloading so I don't know.

Voice Commands: http://ripleygalactic.com/kics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3nBYjWQmc0

Steam version of Horizons is showing 25% off for me. I wonder if that is because I own the original. Before I logged in it showed the full price.

Edit: Apparently it is. So a 25% discount for owners of Elite: Dangerous Vanilla.

Burny

It clicked for me much earlier than that. Flight model, sound, world - all enough to draw me in.

Those are fair criticism of the game that may or may not be alleviated while it develops. If it hasn't "clicked" for you here however, it may not click at all. Or at least not until a couple more seasons in, when the mission system and structure is hopefully more developed. For the time being, it's an affair of finding an activity you like and sticking to it for as long as you want. But the game isn't going to give you much incentive to do so, unless it's bigger and better ships.

DrBo42

Not sure what I should do, bought the game in Premium Beta so I have Horizons by default. Got the base game steam key when it was released and now I'm seeing there's a 8 gig or so update on Steam, is that Horizons or is it the move to 64-bit? I don't see any additional keys on my Frontier site account.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

For bounty hunting, go to a High Intensity Resource Extraction Site (there's one in the Zaragas System really close to Jenner Station) and make sure you have a kill warrant scanner, and profit. I've had the game since January and tried the trading route first. Up until last Monday I made a little over $600,000 in profits from trading. Last Monday I tried my hand at bounty hunting and have made over $23M just playing for a few hours a day. If I had done this a lot earlier, and I could have been filthy rich by now.

Twinduct

You're not doing anything wrong. It never clicked for me either.

:<
Really hoping I can get over the hump, so much of the game works for me, the cycle just kills me right now.

That seems great! Might have to invest in voice attack for this

It clicked for me much earlier than that. Flight model, sound, world - all enough to draw me in.

Those are fair criticism of the game that may or may not be alleviated while it develops. If it hasn't "clicked" for you here however, it may not click at all. Or at least not until a couple more seasons in, when the mission system and structure is hopefully more developed. For the time being, it's an affair of finding an activity you like and sticking to it for as long as you want. But the game isn't going to give you much incentive to do so, unless it's bigger and better ships.

See that's the issue. I can't get over the awesome sound design in this game. Hell the thing that pushed me over the edge of getting it was mostly the sound. The flight model is still a bit weird for me, still not sure how to turn around quicker in a joust outside of going flight assist off.

It's a damn shame about the missions, but I just feel like the activities never evolve to a higher tier. Even with bounties it never gets past the point of just mucking about looking for a bounty. Really feel there should be more info to point you to high values targets than just having the instance randomly spawn dudes. Hell I once saw a group of federation patrols jump in during a normal fight so assumed if I follow them around it might lead me to something but they did nothing for 2 hours. Hell one ship jumped in to scan me and left.

Is there any way to at least identify worth awhile signal POIs? Unidentified, large & small seems to be completely random in their worth.

For bounty hunting, go to a High Intensity Resource Extraction Site (there's one in the Zaragas System really close to Jenner Station) and make sure you have a kill warrant scanner, and profit. I've had the game since January and tried the trading route first. Up until last Monday I made a little over $600,000 in profits from trading. Last Monday I tried my hand at bounty hunting and have made over $23M just playing for a few hours a day. If I had done this a lot earlier, and I could have been filthy rich by now.

I saw one of these like ages ago and made mental note to come back when I have trading. Now I don't seem to get any of them!

Whilst on the subject, any place online I can check system maps?

I downloaded the new launcher manually and pointed it to my Steam directory, and then let Steam do its update thing to ED. After that, opening from Steam still opens the old launcher...I'm really regretting doing the Steam key at this point. Launching manually from folder opens correct version.

New version is blue, easily distinguishable:

qADWaB4.jpg

It's not the end of the world, you can just pin a shortcut to the correct launcher on your Start menu, but I'm losing all the value of having it as a Steam game at this point.

Wut I don't have a 64 bit version available in the launcher even for vanilla...

I didn't play for almost a year, I overwhelm again :)
What do you use for for tracking The Commodities Market. I remember I used EliteOCR and Slopey BPC. Is it viable now or there is something new??

cilonen

This is amazing. I need to figure out what I'm doing on planets a bit better though... and they really need a better way to direct your buggy back to the right garage if you've gone roaming from a surface base.

charpunk

Well this sucks.

I purchased the expansion, card was charged, however the server hit an error on the success screen and it never flagged my account access. Their estimate ticket wait time is 3 days.

If you don't enjoy mining, trading, bounty hunting or exploration, your running out of options to enjoy. There are community goals to contribute to but they will involve one of the core activities already mentioned. You can try CQC or join a player group that make their own activities. You can hang out in pvp centered systems and pirate or anti-pirate or one of the racing groups.

My personal hook is just the sense of space travel in a to scale galaxy and the flight model in normal flight for combat. It nails those things so perfectly that any other game specific modivation is just extra. That being said, the game is mechanical dense, which I love but the gameplay systems are thin and need fleshed out.

They've done a really good job with mining but missions, bounty hunting and combat zones need attention to better give in game modivations that make sense and don't boil down to a repetitive grind. This update does flesh out exploration some, but it could use more. Missions have added complexity with this update opening up more potential for interesting scenarios but we'll see how they build on that. As of now I still recommend the game to people that are self modivated because it's currently a sandbox with deep mechanics but shallow gameplay systems linking activities together.

Summary of today's AMA:

• Steam keys: Soon, if you have preordered the season 2 Horizons in the official Frontier store;
  • Season 2 includes looting & Crafting, small integrated fighters, avatars creation, multicrew, and a lot of major updates;
  • They know that the 2.0 doesn't contain as much content as the community wanted, however it will be a very good start for the Season 2 Horizons in 2016. It brings a LOT of technologies. More to come!;
  • The Cutter is a well balanced mix between a trader and a fighter. Its resistances, armors, and shields allows the Cutter to counter most of the attacks, while delivering a huge firepower to its targets. It owns its own gameplay;
  • "The Missing" will be the main story during the season 2. Some colonies have been lost while the civilization first colonized the stars, we never retrieved them. With the previous Elite games, these old colonies could only be visited via wormholes;
  • No new stations' types so far;
  • We might be able to process some mining on the surfaces, on a later date;
  • The ships naming feature is still on the list;
  • "Any new plans for the Alliance? :(" - "Oh yes. Definitely" - "When? During the season 2?" - "Yes"; switch pants
  • The dev team would like to develop their own official tool to switch UI colors in game;
  • We might be able to share missions while flying in wings, on a later date;
  • Despite focusing more on the gameplay rather than the new ships, the season 2 will still bring new ships, and SRVs;
  • Water worlds will be for another season, however we might see volcanoes and geysers in Horizons;
  • The integrated fighters in our bay can be used by AI or players;
  • The multicrew roles in the ships can only be used by players, no AI allowed... so you need friends;
  • More interesting, more diversed, Powerplay will returned stronger than ever in Season 2;
  • Bookmarks might be developed for 2.2 ;
  • Up to 4 people in a ship with multicrew... but then, the wing is only one ship, or count it 2 ships of 2 people, or 3 people on a ship + another ship with 1 pilot... You got it, 4 players max;
  • One multicrew role will be engineer. You can switch between roles as you want to, if you decide to switch to the Engineer role, your ship will fly in a straight line if there is no pilot;
  • 4 roles: Helm (piloting), Fire control (turrets/weapons), Countermeasures (shields, tactical), Engineering (sensors, navigation, repairs)
  • **Multicrew will be balanced so 4 people in a ship is on par with 4 people in a wing
  • Ships can launch fighters... UP TO FOUR FIGHTERS!
  • No news about Alliance ships despite "hm Alliance Ships" from Mike Evans :( :(
  • SRV customization might come in the future
  • Loot and Crafting will allow players to configure her/his ship into a completly different one by changing its weapons, internal modules, laser colors, strenghes, strengthes, weaknesses, ... It's difficult to balance but they will make it right with max range for each configuration;
  • New materials in Looting and Crafting. They can be found in asteroids, ships wreckage after fights, planets' rings;
  • We might be able to store our modules, on a far later date. They are interesting in it;

Pretty cool that there will be a storyline this season based around "The Missing" and
Thargoids

EDIT: Also, the OT is still a WIP. Lost a lot of my progress over the weekend due to a stupid mistake (really wish GAF saved drafts :-| ) so I'm kinda building it out. If you have any tips, videos, resources, infographics, deals, etc. that should go in the OP, lemme know. I know a lot of the original thread's text is outdated at this point and I caught a lot of it, but probably not all. Gonna get the third part of the OT up this afternoon/evening.

Mengy

Okay, so I came home, opened Steam, and it started downloading an 8.1GB update for Elite, will be done in about 2.5 hours. Hopefully this is the right thing and I'll have Horizons 64-bit in a bit over two hours....

Finally time for me to jump back in! Haven't played since August or so, already preordered it a while back so just have to download and it's back to my beautiful ASP. Good to be back.

Wreav

Banned
Okay, so I came home, opened Steam, and it started downloading an 8.1GB update for Elite, will be done in about 2.5 hours. Hopefully this is the right thing and I'll have Horizons 64-bit in a bit over two hours....

Go get the new launcher too.

HelloMeow

Wow, backwards, downward and sideways thrust doesn't do anything to counter gravity on higher gravity worlds. Only forward and upward thrust can actually give you some altitude.

See that's the issue. I can't get over the awesome sound design in this game. Hell the thing that pushed me over the edge of getting it was mostly the sound. The flight model is still a bit weird for me, still not sure how to turn around quicker in a joust outside of going flight assist off.

Turning quickly involves keeping the throttle in the blue, pitching in the direction you want to go, pulling up and flight assist off while making the tight turn. You can add vertical thrusters as well to push you into the turn to get your front aimed in the direction you want to go quicker. Most pilots will then turn flight assist back on once they've made the turn to make aiming manageable. However, if you do not turn flight assist off at least while making the turn, your turning speed is going to be very limited. Also when turning quickly like this your ship is really not exactly turning, it is kind of flipping so your momentum carries you in the direction you were originally going before the manuever though your ship is now pointed where you want to go. Sometimes you'll lose ground on your target so boosting after the turn is a good way to get going forward quickly again if you need to.

There is also boost turning. Pulling up while boosting gives you an initial tight turn in that direction. This is super useful in a lot of scenarios when you need turn quickly but definitely not all.

So I got my Steam key for Horizons and activated it on my account. For some reason it's considered a separate game? Should I be keeping the original installed too?

Staab

Just landed on my first planet, dropped my SRV after flying in icy, fucking beautiful, canyons... this is insane !

Mengy

So I got my Steam key for Horizons and activated it on my account. For some reason it's considered a separate game? Should I be keeping the original installed too?

Yep just got my key too, get them while the Frontier store is still working!!!!!

And yeah, Horizons is a seperate new game entry into Steam all on it's own, probably because it's now a 64-bit client and they are keeping the 1.5 version separate as it's 32-bit. I paused the original 8.1GB download and moved the new 6GB Horizons download to the top, I'm guessing that's all we really need to play.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damn, $45 is really steep for the addition of planetary landings. I was under the impression that expansions would be running in the 15-25 dollar range.

Ugh.

Buggy Loop

I generally dont have time (especially since its the finals..) but i logged on and landed on 4 planets. The first one, on top of a mountain, that took me ~25 mins descending its slope, barely made it out alive with 3% hull. I didnt find an icy planet that looks icy like the screenshots in the op yet, i did land on an icy worlds, but it was more rock than ice.

Amazing tech.

Still the AMD bug in SC though -_-

Damn, $45 is really steep for the addition of planetary landings. I was under the impression that expansions would be running in the 15-25 dollar range.

Ugh.

Not sure where you got that impression--price has been known for a long while now.

I know the price point is a barrier for some, but this is really Year 2 of a 10 year development cycle. They don't have a model to support giving it away for free, or too cheap, since each "Year" is being supported like its a full game, with five major content patches through the year.

Helznicht

Its a bummer full "all" planet type landings wont make it in 2016. I will be waiting for that until I upgrade from my $15 space only version.

MayMay

Banned
Hmm.. so it's up on Steam. Am I right with the assumption that if I buy Horizons on Steam I'll have a seperate entry in my library, so Ill have to uninstall ED and reinstall it as ED Horizons?

Top Bottom