• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Kioshen

How do you get good at chromie? I never have any success with her

Stay in the shadows as much as possible, predict where they will be in 2 seconds, spam Q. The more uncertainty you can impose on the opposing team the better. If you need to delete someone fast, learn the timing for her rewind heroic. Not many heroes can get out of there and can make a fight 5v4 pretty fast.

Play her like Nova I guess.

Alavard

Valeera on the PTR tomorrow according to their Facebook. Curious to see what WoW rogue abilities they give her.

Neat. I was expecting we'd learn her abilities this week but didn't expect PTR.

I'm anxiously awaiting those abilities so I can start thinking of counter heroes, because stealth heroes are always incredibly popular.

Milly79

The thing is she doesn't play like nova. I mean kinda, but nova you don't have to predict with.

Awesome, can't wait to try her out tomorrow.

Prelude.

Chen is one of the most mobile heroes in the game. That kung fu kick is no joke to get in position for awesome body blocks.
I hate his W and its range, the fact he has no utility, and his gimmicky trait. I can't find a good reason to prefer him over other warriors.

I just got into this game the other day, and have been enjoying the gameplay for the most part especially since all the heroes are currently free 2 play, so I've been getting to try some of them out. For a good amount of games the last few days I've been playing against AI just to practice, and on average I was getting 100 gold per win, which was decent and seeing the price of the characters I was fine with that along with the daily quests to be able to earn my characters over time. It would take awhile with alot of characters being 10k, but still seemed like a decent earn rate. Today I decide to pick up the 4.99$ Nexus Character pack that came with the 7-day stimulus. Play a game and come to find out that now all of a sudden I'm only getting 25 gold per game (which would actually be 10 without that booster) and it's really killed my drive to play this game. 10 gold a win when I need 10k even just for some single characters seem extremely low and makes me feel like they just want me to pay them money outright. What happened? Why was I earning such a decent amount of gold at first and now getting next to nothing? Why even tease someone with those gold rates at first? Just want to know what's going on. Really enjoyed what I played, but I know on the 17th it goes back to only 5-7 characters or so a week, and kinda down and not wanting to play anymore if it's gonna take a ridiculous amount of games even just to get another character. I really want to enjoy this game, I like how it plays compared to Dota 2 without having to worry about buying power items and stuff from shops, but this just feels like it's driving me away at this point :(

I'm new to the game as well, I started playing in november, and it's not that bad. In a way, I prefer being limited to a few characters per week because, in my opinion, it'd be kinda overwhelming having everyone unlocked from the get-go, but maybe it's because it's my first moba, I don't know. Trying out the heroes on rotation every week is a pretty good way to learn them and the game at a reasonable pace. The gold rewards seem bad at first, but they're actually decent, especially at first when you get all the early levels bonuses. If you keep doing the daily quests (from 200 to 800 gold), the brawl (1000), and play in QM (it gives more exp and gold than vs AI) you're gonna get enough gold to buy the characters you want in a relatively short time.

To put it into perspective, as I said, I started playing in nov, and I don't even play a lot, and most of it is vs AI because I'm still learning the characters, right now I'm lv38 and I have 44k gold. I own 14 characters, 1 from starting the game, 1 from buying Overwatch Origins Edition, 2 from buying the SC2 Battle Chest, 5 for completing the Nexus Challenge, and 5 that I bought for 22k gold (2+2+4+7+7). The Nexus Challenge gave me a 30 days stimpack so that helped, but again, I played a lot of vs AI instead of QM. If you have a stimpack active it's also pretty quick to get to lv5 with a character and get 500 gold.

Hugstable

Banned
Not every hero is 10k. Most are in the 7k range and below. If you only do dailies in AI you get more than 10k per three weeks which is what the new hero cycle is. It doesn't count the gold gain from matches or the new amount from brawls. I also don't count the 500G you get from getting a hero to level 5 which quickly add up. Starting out you get 6 free access to heroes during the week. However each time you hit a level milestone with your account (5, 7, 12, 15) you get an additional hero added to your list for a total of 10. Sadly you missed the nexus challenge period that would have enabled you to get 5 free heroes. If you are past level 5 it is also too late for a recruit a friend feature that could have given you 2 heroes and a 5 day stim pack.

The real gold gain drop is when you get account level 40 and all your heroes to level 5. Even then I easily keep up with the hero releases and gold to spare to start eyeing that gold sink mount.

The dash swap made the hero more fun and enabled plays that weren't available but it's not the biggest change. 75% health shield activation is huge for his survivability which he was lacking because once he commits he has to stay. Built-in zealot charge on twin blades was also huge to enable him to be a real sticky brawler and not be kited out of range.

Damn I really missed out on alot then :(. I hope they do another event like that 5 free heroes Nexus thing, and I wish I knew about the recruit a friend before hand as I'm already at level 9 now.

I hate his W and its range, the fact he has no utility, and his gimmicky trait. I can't find a good reason to prefer him over other warriors.

I'm new to the game as well, I started playing in november, and it's not that bad. In a way, I prefer being limited to a few characters per week because, in my opinion, it'd be kinda overwhelming having everyone unlocked from the get-go, but maybe it's because it's my first moba, I don't know. Trying out the heroes on rotation every week is a pretty good way to learn them and the game at a reasonable pace. The gold rewards seem bad at first, but they're actually decent, especially at first when you get all the early levels bonuses. If you keep doing the daily quests (from 200 to 800 gold), the brawl (1000), and play in QM (it gives more exp and gold than vs AI) you're gonna get enough gold to buy the characters you want in a relatively short time.

To put it into perspective, as I said, I started playing in nov, and I don't even play a lot, and most of it is vs AI because I'm still learning the characters, right now I'm lv38 and I have 44k gold. I own 14 characters, 1 from starting the game, 1 from buying Overwatch Origins Edition, 2 from buying the SC2 Battle Chest, 5 for completing the Nexus Challenge, and 5 that I bought for 22k gold (2+2+4+7+7). The Nexus Challenge gave me a 30 days stimpack so that helped, but again, I played a lot of vs AI instead of QM. If you have a stimpack active it's also pretty quick to get to lv5 with a character and get 500 gold.

Thanks for the advice (same to everyone who posted before about my questions), and will keep pushing on in the game. I really enjoy what I'm playing and would like to continue playing, was just a bit disappointed yesterday after the drop off (which I'm sure now seems to be a first 10 game thing, wish I had started that Stimulus thing then so I didn't miss out on the extra 150 gold during those first 10 games lol). Finished my tavern brawl this morning as well and have around 5.5k gold now. Probably gonna pick up Thrall once all the characters go away, really have enjoyed playing as him the last few days (feral wolves to root and then going in with the windfury is so satisfying lol)

Prelude.

There's also a progression/reward system rework coming "soon" so things might change, I think they said it should feel less grindy.

Hugstable

Banned
There's also a progression/reward system rework coming "soon" so things might change, I think they said it should feel less grindy.

Should I be waiting for this new progression system them as opposed to playing right now? I really don't wanna miss out on more rewards >_<

Kioshen

Well if you need a damage sponge that needs to get in between enemies to slow them down he's your guy if they don't have stuns. brian! plays a mean Chen whenever I faced him in aram so maybe he can chime in on Chen.

Should I be waiting for this new progression system them as opposed to playing right now? I really don't wanna miss out on more rewards >_<

Whatever you do now, you get to keep it and then some. If there are new rewards for what you did earlier you'll get them retroactively. Maybe hold off on buying heroes for now just in case they give some for free when it's implemented but then again I don't recall them announcing a date or anything.

Alavard

I wouldn't wait for it. It was talked about on their roadmap going forward back at Blizzcon in November, but it has no release date, and the few specifics that were talked about could change.

I don't see how you'll miss out on anything by playing now.

Ketch

No. you should be safe. They hav been very generous with compensating people with gold if you already own stuff.

But I suspect that their progression system change will have more to do with account / hero level caps and probably won't affect beginners or more casual players as much.

On Chen: Chen is not a tank, he's a bruiser, a back line diver, and a lane bully. The thing about Chens abilities that you might not realize at first is that because they cost 0 mana and are on a very very short cooldown they are very very abusable. Just spam that shit.

And The keg toss and flame breath combo together to do more damage.

For the first 3 minutes of the game you just walk up to lane keg smash + fire breath on as many heroes as you can, Drink when they try to hit you back, and then do it again, and then do it again, and then do it again. Then tap the well and do it some more. There are very very few heroes that can lane against Chen.

In team fights it's kind of the same thing, you can either spam keg smash and fire breath on as many heroes as possible, or spam flying kicks and keg smash and fire breath on priority targets.

Use your heroic when shit goes bad and you need to get away, chase harder, or interrupt something.

He plays like an illidan that absorbs damage instead of avoiding it.

Hugstable

Banned
Well if you need a damage sponge that needs to get in between enemies to slow them down he's your guy if they don't have stuns. brian! plays a mean Chen whenever I faced him in aram so maybe he can chime in on Chen.

Whatever you do now, you get to keep it and then some. If there are new rewards for what you did earlier you'll get them retroactively. Maybe hold off on buying heroes for now just in case they give some for free when it's implemented but then again I don't recall them announcing a date or anything.

I wouldn't wait for it. It was talked about on their roadmap going forward back at Blizzcon in November, but it has no release date, and the few specifics that were talked about could change.

I don't see how you'll miss out on anything by playing now.

No. you should be safe. They hav been very generous with compensating people with gold if you already own stuff.

But I suspect that their progression system change will have more to do with account / hero level caps and probably won't affect beginners or more casual players as much.

Alright cool, thanks everyone! Gonna keep playing. These brawls are super fun, I'm still playing them even after I got the weekly rewards lol

Prelude.

Hmm, I don't think you're gonna miss on anything, there's just a really low level cap right now (less than 2 levels and I've hit it already) so they might want to address that first and foremost, making the whole progression process more smooth and less grindy. The rework is coming in the "first half of 2017" anyway, so you might have to wait a lot.

They also teased a new "loot" tab and nobody knows what it'll be, but having some gold ready when that drops is probably a good idea.

brian!

Chen is good but he's like illidan where knowing what your opponent can do is really important, wouldnt recommend him for newer players. Uhh be cognizant of your cds + it's good to eat cc with him if your team is around, dont be afraid, and try to recognize when they have kill potential on you, you are pretty much free to do w/e if they dont have a kill rotation up. He's subpar at protecting his team so if possible try to really bait the enemy team to blow their shit on you, tho it's worthless if you got some of those chicken w/ head cut off teammates.

It kinda sounds like yall are talking about ai games so i dunno if this applies

Prelude.

Chen is good but he's like illidan where knowing what your opponent can do is really important, wouldnt recommend him for newer players. Uhh be cognizant of your cds + it's good to eat cc with him if your team is around, dont be afraid, and try to recognize when they have kill potential on you, you are pretty much free to do w/e if they dont have a kill rotation up. He's subpar at protecting his team so if possible try to really bait the enemy team to blow their shit on you, tho it's worthless if you got some of those chicken w/ head cut off teammates.

It kinda sounds like yall are talking about ai games so i dunno if this applies
Yeah, I've only tried him in vs AI and almost fell asleep. His slow is pretty bad and his only sustain forces him to stop completely, even as an off-tank, I think there are better options when all he can do is soak up damage and push lanes pretty decently if ignored, I guess? Wandering Keg might be kinda useful to positon enemies into the team, but I didn't even try it since it was vs AI.

Maledict

Chen is one of the top 3 duellers / solo laners in the game btw. He even beats Thrall if I remember correctly - played well there's almost no-one in the game who can touch him one on one in a lane.

brian!

Yeah he only loses to rexxar and alarak i think, he can die to thrall but the team has to send someone to gank

Dehaka is good against him too but it's the chens fault if he gets tongued, dehaka will outpush and z

Maledict

Normal Valeera looks awful - like, one of the worse skins in the game, and insultingly so. Master Valeera on the other hand looks fantasti - that's what she should look like normally¬!

Felsabre means another hero + mount bundle as well I guess.

Lunar Li-Ming looked fairly dull until I saw the themed abilities - I quite like those.

Rooster Mount - absolutely, I need tis now. Please don't be £16 like the damn snowflake. Numbus cloud - meh.

in terms of abilities, she has a Vanish as her trait, plus both heroics use it as well (cloak of shadows and Smoke Bomb) .Does that mean she's just another perma stealthed character? In which case, boooo.

Other than that can't really say much - Sinister Strike, Eviscerate and Blade Flurry are possibly the three most boring abilities in the game to pick for a woW rogue (and not fitting with her character or lore at all), so really not sure what to make of her. Does not look that interesting right now.

Alavard

I have no strong feelings one way or another on Valeera, other than that something looks way off with those 'daggers' and the way she wields them.

Everything else in that video though... gimmie.

Prelude.

Normal Valeera looks awful - like, one of the worse skins in the game, and insultingly so. Master Valeera on the other hand looks fantasti - that's what she should look like normally¬!
The opposite for me. Normal looks nice, master looks awful. Pointy hat thingy + mask don't look that hot. You can't even see her thighs, that's borderline unplayable.

kirblar

If Valeera is a WoW Rogue then she likely uses energy and combo points. Q/W/E are then boring but the challenge is in resource management.

The Rooster Mount is incredible.

Ketch

The valeera model looks like shit.

I got vanish, sinister strike, and eviscerate right.

I'm sure combo points are involved. Her heroics look.... confusing to me. I guess you can attack people while invisible with smoke bomb, but what is the other one doing?

Lunar bundle looks hot this year. Wonder if it comes with the cloud and the rooster

Alur

Rooster would've been a perfect gold sink mount if they hadn't given away the Blizzcon mount =.

Valeera looks like another hero that everyone will hate in QM. The base tint normal skin is okay and the master skin is good but the rest of her tints and her other skin don't do it for me.

Felsaber want. And I dig the cloud too.

Kioshen

Wow ! There's a lot of interesting stuff in that video. I think this is the first time the master skin of a hero is better than the normal one for me. The lunar bundle this year is going to be hard to resist opening up my wallet for it. Rooster is too good to pass up.

Ketch

I think the two skins and rooster is the bundle

Yep and then the nimbus is cash only because you already got the monkey king skin with the bundle might as well spend another 10 bucks for the nimbus to go along with it.

It's only $30 total. Pay up.

Alur

Honestly surprised there aren't more frequent reddit threads complaining about how bundles are almost always hero + skin + mount now. kirblar's idea may be correct on why, but it still sucks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I may start hoarding gold soon. I'm looking at who to buy next like...

Stitches, Varian, Arthas, Tracer, Samuro: Boring.
Abathur, Butcher, Zul'jin: Just not my style.
Sylvannas & Gul'dan: Cool, but too complicated, makes them kind of annoying.
Kharazim, Alarak: Cool, but I'd always prefer Brightwing and Thrall/Kerrigan.
Medivh: Cool, but I solo queue too much for him to be worth it.
Illidan: I'd rather play Tyrael.
TLV: Not cool plus too complicated.
Chromie: Cancer.

Will Valeera be worth it? Who knows, but yet another assassin doesn't seem like it'll catch my attention. She better have some really cool tricks for me to think I'll ever feel like playing her over other assassins who have become favs or Xul.

Top Bottom