• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Alur

What's complicated about Sylv and Gul'dan? Especially Sylv. She's about as straightforward as it gets IMO.

Ketch

Honestly surprised there aren't more frequent reddit threads complaining about how bundles are almost always hero + skin + mount now. kirblar's idea may be correct on why, but it still sucks.

Their real money prices continue to be egregious. the gold economy stuff is fantastic, and they have frequent deals though so I can't complain too much.

And it's like not even the expensive bundles or hero prices that bothers, it's just the little things... like if this nimbus cloud is not included with the monkey king skin even though they clearly go together, and then the monkey king skin will probably only be available in the new year bundle. So it's like whatever that the mount comes out to $10, but it's kind of a big fuck you to set it up so that if you only wanted monkey king with the nimbus you end up paying twice as much as what they're worth you know?

It's like the cable television pricing model. We know you only want HBO but fuck you pay us.

edit: you should def get sylvanas. she's a game defining hero.

How do you get good at chromie? I never have any success with her

You sort of have to play Chromie like Li-Ming trying to clear a wave from the fog and use Time Trap to provide vision and safety. Different enemy heroes will change how aggressively you can position yourself and your Time Trap. Keep out of line of sight, attack from the fog and try to predict player movement. Predicting player movement is easier when they don't know you're there.

Bronze Talons is a good talent in general, it can make up for being unable to tag people with Sandblast because you're attacking from within line of sight for whatever reason.

Alur

Yeah, as much as you like to play AI you should pick up Sylv. If you're ever in a hurry, those are some easy quick wins.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Complicated as in too much upkeep on their abilities to maximize their output, then with Slv she runs out of mana in like a minute so you have to refresh more than I like. It's just annoying with them to keep all the ability spamming balanced out right.

Yeah, as much as you like to play AI you should pick up Sylv. If you're ever in a hurry, those are some easy quick wins.
That's what Hammer is for.

scoobs

I may start hoarding gold soon. I'm looking at who to buy next like...

Stitches, Varian, Arthas, Tracer, Samuro: Boring.
Abathur, Butcher, Zul'jin: Just not my style.
Sylvannas & Gul'dan: Cool, but too complicated, makes them kind of annoying.
Kharazim, Alarak: Cool, but I'd always prefer Brightwing and Thrall/Kerrigan.
Medivh: Cool, but I solo queue too much for him to be worth it.
Illidan: I'd rather play Tyrael.
TLV: Not cool plus too complicated.
Chromie: Cancer.

Will Valeera be worth it? Who knows, but yet another assassin doesn't seem like it'll catch my attention. She better have some really cool tricks for me to think I'll ever feel like playing her over other assassins who have become favs or Xul.
Varian and Samuro definitely not boring, you crazy. Play tank Varian and you'll see how he can be fun (seriously).

Sylvanas and Gul'Dank are must owns.

Alarak is twice as fun as Kerrigan or Thrall.

I hate almost all of your opinions.

Dice

If you think Hammer is easier in any mode I don't know what to say, but especially against bots. But it's your game, have at it.
I hate almost all of your opinions.
I don't even know how to account for my tastes. My favs are like...

Jaina >>> Rexxar > Brightwing > Xul > Ragnaros > Lili (blind/slow build) > Li-Ming > Tyrael

I'm developing understanding/interest in Artanis, Dehaka, and Lunara. Murky kinda fell off and I'm waiting for him to be fixed.

What does this mean about what I like? I have no idea. These heroes are just on another level in terms of fun for me.

Maledict

What's complicated about Sylv and Gul'dan? Especially Sylv. She's about as straightforward as it gets IMO.

Sylvanas is a hero that's easy to play "okay", but actually quite a high skill cap to play really well.

Positioning to use her Q properly takes skill, and the mechanical skil required to use her Haunting wave is higher than a lot of heroes (especially at 13 with the refill talent). Add into that an ult which only really works in conjunction with another heroes ult and I'd say she's definitely a hero that's hard to master.

But yeah,. she should be in everyone's kit because even playing her at a very basic level can win you games outright.

matmanx1

I may start hoarding gold soon. I'm looking at who to buy next like...

Stitches, Varian, Arthas, Tracer, Samuro: Boring.
Abathur, Butcher, Zul'jin: Just not my style.
Sylvannas & Gul'dan: Cool, but too complicated, makes them kind of annoying.
Kharazim, Alarak: Cool, but I'd always prefer Brightwing and Thrall/Kerrigan.
Medivh: Cool, but I solo queue too much for him to be worth it.
Illidan: I'd rather play Tyrael.
TLV: Not cool plus too complicated.
Chromie: Cancer.

Will Valeera be worth it? Who knows, but yet another assassin doesn't seem like it'll catch my attention. She better have some really cool tricks for me to think I'll ever feel like playing her over other assassins who have become favs or Xul.

You find Samuro boring? He may be many things but boring is not one of the words I would use to describe him.

Alur

Sylvanas is a hero that's easy to play "okay", but actually quite a high skill cap to play really well..

He's playing AI though, Maledict, not ranked. Not much skill necessary. IMO it takes more skill to play Hammer without getting zerged by the bots in AI than getting free towers with Sylv.

Kioshen

I don't even know how to account for my tastes. My favs are like...

Jaina >>> Raxxar > Brightwing > Xul > Ragnaros > Lili (blind/slow build) > Li-Ming > Tyrael

I'm developing understanding/interest in Artanis, Dehaka, and Lunara. Murky kinda fell off and I'm waiting for him to be fixed.

What does this mean about what I like? I have no idea. These heroes are just on another level in terms of fun for me.

If you like Jaina then have you tried KT ? Falstad might be fun for you too if you like global heroes.

Azmodunk got no booty

If that's a criteria then Lunar Jaina has legs for days then haha.

Dice

He's playing AI though, Maledict, not ranked. Not much skill necessary. IMO it takes more skill to play Hammer without getting zerged by the bots in AI than getting free towers with Sylv.
Yeah, it should be noted that I mostly play AI with human partners almost as a solitaire-like chill passtime, so winrate or team synergy has nothing to do with why I consider a character fun or not. If I'm going to play a MOBA vs humans I need a regular team I'm working with, though I do play the brawls some.

Dice

If you like Jaina then have you tried KT ? Falstad might be fun for you too if you like global heroes.
I only recently got him and have only just began to really get a grip on his style. He needs to be a lot closer than Jaina and his stuff activates more slowly, he has less getaway capacity because he has less slows, and if you want a shield it's a rough power trade at level 1. If you're smart with positioning and target selection he can weak a lot of havoc, so I can see his style, but it is more mindful than agile compared to Jaina.

Oops, meant to edit this in to the last post...

Lunar Jaina is GOAT anyway because of the black tint alone.
I want it so bad and I like the other lunar skins, too. If they do a Lunar Bundle I'll get it.

scoobs

I only recently got him and have only just began to really get a grip on his style. He needs to be a lot closer than Jaina and his stuff activates more slowly, he has less getaway capacity because he has less slows, and if you want a shield it's a rough power trade at level 1. If you're smart with positioning and target selection he can weak a lot of havoc, so I can see his style, but it is more mindful than agile compared to Jaina.

Oops, meant to edit this in to the last post...

I want it so bad and I like the other lunar skins, too. If they do a Lunar Bundle I'll get it.
Valeera looks like she will be a fucking nightmare. 100% chance smoke bomb will be broken.

Alur

Indeed.

I remember when the launch happened and Voyboy streamed HOTS twice. He was spamming Sonya. Best streaming experience still to this day. A lot of those more established guys are just on another level streaming wise versus what we have.

If we go all of 2017 without any League retreads or challenger level players making the leap to HOTS for that free money I'll be shocked. They can't be making much on a bottom tier team in LCS or challenger series, and with the skill in theory they could easily begin to challenge for top spots if they put together a decent team and adapted well.

I remain continually surprised that no one wants to be the big fish in the small pond like we have with Rich and co in Korea playing HOTS instead of League or something else. There's decent money to be made if someone just stepped in to do it.

Blizzard nailed the master skin for once with Valeera, is also heresy for her for not having a poison like attacks, thats like the main reason her daggers are green

Dice

Valeera looks like she will be a fucking nightmare. 100% chance smoke bomb will be broken.
Zul'jin seems like a fucking nightmare from what I've played of him, but that doesn't make him fun.

Edit: Wow just watched the new video and they are knocking designs out of the park. Gonna lose some money Lunar New Year.

Maledict

Valeera's abilities are actually really weird. She's basically a vanilla combat rogue from woW - but also has the "attack from stealth" abilities aspect of assassination. She's basically a rogue from a spec that no longer exists...

I don't think she will have poison, because even though it makes sense I suspect they want to give that to Garona instead. Much like Gul'dan only gets to use a tiny part of the warlock kit.

EDIT: Will say again though - I utterly loathe her base model. Think it looks awful, and had hoped we didn't need tits and legs bondage queens to sell games anymore.

Valeera's abilities are actually really weird. She's basically a vanilla combat rogue from woW - but also has the "attack from stealth" abilities aspect of assassination. She's basically a rogue from a spec that no longer exists...

I don't think she will have poison, because even though it makes sense I suspect they want to give that to Garona instead. Much like Gul'dan only gets to use a tiny part of the warlock kit.

EDIT: Will say again though - I utterly loathe her base model. Think it looks awful, and had hoped we didn't need tits and legs bondage queens to sell games anymore.

But garona dont use poison, technically Garona's kit is Valeera current kit for HoTS

Funny think her design is pretty loyal to her original design, Master Skin have sylvanna pants

Maledict

Have they shown Valera talents yet?

Nope, haven't even seen what her abilities actually do.

As demonstrated they look very dull, but someone on Reddit suggested they might have additional abilities if you do them from stealth. That would make sense and make her. A much more interesting hero.

(Right now as is she looks to be the most boring hero they've designed in *ages*, which I can't really believe given how stellar heroes design has become now).

Alur

You keep saying that, but she literally looks just like she does in WoW or Hearthstone from the images I've seen. You seem to be implying they went outside the box to get that look, but that appears to have more or less always been her look for better or worse so I don't get framing it as a money grab.

Valeera action figure

Valeera's Hearthstone hero page.

jEUOsMi.jpg

Maledict

But garona dont use poison but technically Garona would use Valeera current kit

Funny think her design is pretty loyal to her original design, Master Skin have sylvanna pants

Not saying it's not true to her design. I'm saying her design sucks, and they way it's translated into game makes it suck even more. She really does look like Elvira. Saying 'it's how she's designed' doesn't really matter when it's her fundamental design that I think sucks. I do think that it's worse than in wow or hearthstone however - the image above doesn't go anywhere near as far in terms of the 'tits and legs bondage hair queen' thing she is in hots.

On the other hand, utterly love her masters skin - that's how I imagine a stealthy assassin rogue to look. Not someone who should be gracing the cover of an 80s metal album.

Not saying it's not true to her design. I'm saying her design sucks, and they way it's translated into game makes it suck even more. She really does look like Elvira.

On the other hand, utterly love her masters skin - that's how I imagine a stealthy assassin rogue to look. Not someone who should be gracing the cover of an 80s metal album.

And then Blizzard decided to make her daggers bigger than Zeratul blades,still thats more like Blizzard usual design in HoTS to make everything bigger. Li Ming is using a octopus as Hair

Alur

I do think that it's worse than in wow or hearthstone however - the image above doesn't go anywhere near as far in terms of the 'tits and legs bondage hair queen' thing she is in hots

Look at her Hearthstone page. It's literally the exact same. Same images appearing.

I wouldn't sweat what WoW spec Valeera plays most like given how loose the HotS dev has been with using those things as an influence/inspiration.

Dice

Not saying it's not true to her design. I'm saying her design sucks, and they way it's translated into game makes it suck even more. She really does look like Elvira. Saying 'it's how she's designed' doesn't really matter when it's her fundamental design that I think sucks. I do think that it's worse than in wow or hearthstone however - the image above doesn't go anywhere near as far in terms of the 'tits and legs bondage hair queen' thing she is in hots.
I don't see how HotS made it worse. WoW in general has really tacky designs and that is what most WoW fans seem to like. Blood Elves in particular have a highly sexual fashion as their culture or whatever and a lot of people would probably complain if it suddenly changed.

That said, I think her HotS design sucks and I'd want to get a skin that totally changes her look. They've been pretty good about providing those so if she actually ends up being good in terms of gameplay I wouldn't be worried about her aesthetic.

Syf

Banned
Moon Guard would riot if any of the sexual stuff in WoW was changed

Source: all the shit I see in the most random of places in game

I don't see how HotS made it worse. WoW in general has really tacky designs and that is what most WoW fans seem to like. Blood Elves in particular have a highly sexual fashion as their culture or whatever and a lot of people would probably complain if it suddenly changed.

That said, I think her HotS design sucks and I'd want to get a skin that totally changes her look. They've been pretty good about providing those so if she actually ends up being good in terms of gameplay I wouldn't be worried about her aesthetic.

When I saw Demon Hunter Valeera I had the idea Blizzard took the current female blood elf demon hunter from WoW (which is base on the normal female blood elf) and just worked on it.

Maledict

Well at least when the other female Be comes into the game I won't be moaning about how tacky / crap her design is. Liandrin is armoured to fuck... ;-)

(Still think she would make a great retri paladin).

Top Bottom