• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about the nerf, or at least the extent of the nerf. I can totally understand nerfing the darts, and that will definitely minimize the massive KDRs pilots get. What I don't agree with is buffing the AA cannons too. AA cannons could easily take down fighter planes before the patch so I don't know why they needed any adjustment.

Yeah, I have to echo this sentiment. I like to fly the bombers even though I'm a terrible pilot (could never get the hang of the faster planes). But most games I'm in I'll see a plane spawn and I'll just say screw it because as soon as I get in a plane it's basically like a signal goes off for the AA guns. I've also shot down plenty of planes with AA guns and I've got to say that even one AA gun can take down a plane (minus maybe the bomber) in seconds.

You guys think so? I felt that AA guns definitely needed a buff, as they were practically useless against a decent fighter pilot. Anytime I'm flying a fighter plane and I'm hit with an AA gun, I just fly in a straight line away from the fire or straight up in the air. Then I'd just heal, turn around, and make a very low pass from the AA gun's blind spot and take him out with one shot. I found it nearly impossible to kill a full-health fighter plane with just an AA gun.

You guys think so? I felt that AA guns definitely needed a buff, as they were practically useless against a decent fighter pilot. Anytime I'm flying a fighter plane and I'm hit with an AA gun, I just fly in a straight line away from the fire or straight up in the air. Then I'd just heal, turn around, and make a very low pass against the AA gun and take him out with one shot. I found it nearly impossible to kill a full-health fighter plane with just an AA gun.

They were absolutely useless to me as well. I dunno how many times id literally shoot at the plane while on the AA gun (not missing a shot) and hed have time to fly by, drop bombs and i was dead and the AA gun was gone. Useless.

You guys think so? I felt that AA guns definitely needed a buff, as they were practically useless against a decent fighter pilot. Anytime I'm flying a fighter plane and I'm hit with an AA gun, I just fly in a straight line away from the fire or straight up in the air. Then I'd just heal, turn around, and make a very low pass from the AA gun's blind spot and take him out with one shot. I found it nearly impossible to kill a full-health fighter plane with just an AA gun.

From my experience, I never thought the AA guns were useless. Don't get me wrong, it's tough to take down a really good pilot, but not everybody that gets into a plane knows what they're doing.

They were absolutely useless to me as well. I dunno how many times id literally shoot at the plane while on the AA gun (not missing a shot) and hed have time to fly by, drop bombs and i was dead and the AA gun was gone. Useless.

Which plane are you talking about? A fighter plane flying towards/around you, while you're hitting your AA shots, shouldn't last long. I would say I've taken down attack planes too because they're a lot less maneuverable and need to drop their bombs above you. Bombers are a whole other story though, but they're not usually the ones going on 60-0 streaks.

I agree; for some reason the other poster mistook my post for sarcasm.

I didn't. I was just confirming that there were indeed nerfs to the fighter plane.

Which plane are you talking about? A fighter plane flying towards/around you, while you're hitting your AA shots, shouldn't last long. I would say I've taken down attack planes too because they're a lot less maneuverable and need to drop their bombs above you. Bombers are a whole other story though, but they're not usually the ones going on 60-0 streaks.

Theres a small plane that drops bombs every time it passes by. Its fucking annoying as hell.

Did I just experience a glitch or can you not re-supply yourself with grenades as a calvary anymore?

If not, laaaaaaaame.

EDIT: Ugh, they implemented map voting, too. What's wrong with having a normal rotation of maps? I think 2 of the last three maps I've played have been St. Quentin's Scar. Boo!

Ugh, they implemented map voting, too. What's wrong with having a normal rotation of maps? I think 2 of the last three maps I've played have been St. Quentin's Scar. Boo!

I was actually shocked last night when the vast majority of players voted to play Seuz yesterday. I thought most people would see that map for the hot-garbage it is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not really having an issue with the air changes. It feels similar to before to me, where the value of air support is also dependant on how attentive the enemy team is towards anti air play. And I mean, this is just one of the impossible-to-perfectly-balanced aspects of a game like Battlefield, at least to me. Sometimes you feel like you're fucked, sometimes you're dominating, and could also fall anywhere in between. Such is the nature of a game where so many factors are at play. If the enemy's anti air play is locked down, air support should be difficult. It's the role of infantry to open the skies.

Bollocks

I was actually shocked last night when the vast majority of players voted to play Seuz yesterday. I thought most people would see that map for the hot-garbage it is.

probably because the winning team wanted to steamroll again and some from the other team thought, well I'll change teams, easy win.

sleepnaught

Oh gee, look. Servers are down yet again on PC. This game has a 50/50% of something server-side being absolutely broken every time I log on. The only reason I still do is to get something out of the $120 I wasted. Never felt so cheated.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On one hand I feel map voting is a great addition.

On the other hand people need to stop landslide voting Argonne Forest.

Also the Ribeyrolles is awesome.

Filben

Wanted to play after like two months. Operations are broken now. Joined an empty server two times in a row. Well played, DIce. Well played.

Really respect dice for giving console players "never seen before" control over their pads. They've basically made the standard pads much more customisable. R2 can now be configured to quick fire even more precisely than my nacon revolution pro, won't be touching the nacon software for trigger control for bf1 anymore. Deadzone/acceleration/saturation for BOTH sticks. If they could just make swipe gestures (ds4) for the dpad/buttons too.

Why does it take so long to rank up the classes? I don't remember Battlefield 4 being this much of a grind. Also, the Support class takes the longest to rank up.

zorbsie

Sent a request in for GAF platoon on XB1.

Not sure how I feel about the countdown time with frontlines. On one hand it avoids 1.5 hour matches. On the other hand draws feel wrong. Still, a good back and forth frontlines match can be very rewarding.

Nizz

Anyone else feel like the framerate kind of took a dive after this latest patch (og PS4 here)? I mostly play Rush and that mode was pretty solid.

Now it feels like at times it's running at like 45fps.

terrible

Banned
Anyone else feel like the framerate kind of took a dive after this latest patch (og PS4 here)? I mostly play Rush and that mode was pretty solid.

It feels like it yes, even in the smaller modes. Lots of stuttering.

terrible

Banned
I think it took me 80+ hours to get every class up to rank 10. Unless you game the system for a high SPM and you move on to a new class as soon as you hit level 10 in a class it takes forever. I like that you didn't need to get kills to unlock sights in guns like in BF4 but the process of unlocking level 10 guns was a nightmare.

You still needed to level up each class to unlock their gadgets. BF1 feels like a ridiculous grind.

I think BF1 is much better than BF4 in that regard since BF4 had like 50 weapon attachments and to get them you needed like 330 kills per weapon or something ridiculous. By class rank 3 you have access to all of the weapons except 1. Granted yeah, I haven't gotten a class to rank 10 yet and that's dumb I'll admit.

Anyway, where do I go to get the xp bonus for this weekend? or is it applied automatically?

Edit: oh map voting is a thing? Why? there's a server browser, if a map is coming up that you don't like leave. Now we're gonna get shitty meatgrinders 24/7

This game reminds me why I hate prone so much. Really hope it isn't in SWBF2.

That said it's still pretty fun, especially running with an ironsight boltaction.

Also the Assault Rank 10 SMG is crazy good.

ThisOne

Definitely noticed more framerate issues on the Pro too after the patch. I mostly play Conquest.

Do the premium guns and gadgets have crazy challenges to unlock like BF4? Because if there's one thing I like more than having weapons behind paywalls, it's paying for the guns and gadgets and then not getting them because of convoluted achievements. Still never got the F2000 because you had to get a ton of assists in one game, it literally punished you for being too good.

Orcus

How the hell do I grind 30 kills with anti tank mines?

Gah, feel like that will be a hell of a grind.

Lol, for some reason I read 30k kills and was typing out this diatribe on why the fuck you would ever attempt that. I'm an idiot. 30 isn't so bad, just camp their base capture and kill tanks coming out of spawn. I bet you'll only need to get 15 or so, if some of them are loaded up. Grab a buddy to play support and you can probably do it in 3-6 games.

ThisOne

Do the premium guns and gadgets have crazy challenges to unlock like BF4? Because if there's one thing I like more than having weapons behind paywalls, it's paying for the guns and gadgets and then not getting them because of convoluted achievements. Still never got the F2000 because you had to get a ton of assists in one game, it literally punished you for being too good.

Yep, the DLC weapons here are behind similar walls. I didn't feel like any of them in BF1 have been too hard yet, but it's still dumb how they don't unlock right away. It just artificially increases the "length" of the game since you have to grind for them.

Not really IMO, there might be one task that annoyrs you which is perform 20 headshots with MP18 Optical for the Ribeyroll 1918 Factory. But if youre too good, it might not be a problem ;)

Yep, the DLC weapons here are behind similar walls. I didn't feel like any of them in BF1 have been too hard yet, but it's still dumb how they don't unlock right away. It just artificially increases the "length" of the game since you have to grind for them.

yeah if anything they should make it so dlc weapons are unlockable for everybody but with premium you get them instantly and/or a week or two early or something

DeaDPo0L84

Me and a friend jumped back in tonight after a few months hiatus and we each had a good time. The issues I had at launch seem to be fixed and matches play out more natural then it did at launch where it felt like almost everyone was a sniper.

I am worried about the future of this game once the barage of heavy hitters drop this fall but I hope this game keeps its legs. I am still bummed about new maps/modes being behind a paywall after being really into titanfall 2 and rainbow six. I know they added the buddy system but it kinda sucks to not earn XP and rewards for potentially hour long matches.

Do people feel the premium pass is really worth it for content alone? It was a no brainer in the past cause I had a lot of friends who played battlefield 4 but that's not the case anymore.

EatChildren

This game reminds me why I hate prone so much. Really hope it isn't in SWBF2.

That said it's still pretty fun, especially running with an ironsight boltaction.

Also the Assault Rank 10 SMG is crazy good.

I'd be exceedingly shitty if prone was ever gutted from Battlefield, but yeah, it needs to stay out of Battlefront. For all the latter's ever growing issues, the fast run-and-gun shooting game systems were its strengths.

I really wish they abandoned all pretense of realism and made some futuristic dieselpunk game. It's already a half-step away, just gotta go a biiiit further.

I'd be exceedingly shitty if prone was ever gutted from Battlefield, but yeah, it needs to stay out of Battlefront. For all the latter's ever growing issues, the fast run-and-gun shooting game systems were its strengths.

Agreed on both. And holy FUCK I forgot how unacceptably long the loading was on PS4.

Edit: christ can map voting go please, fao fortress got voted over empire's edge overwhelmingly, how?

I like how we can disable visual things like emblems and whatnot

Sent a request in for GAF platoon on XB1.

Not sure how I feel about the countdown time with frontlines. On one hand it avoids 1.5 hour matches. On the other hand draws feel wrong. Still, a good back and forth frontlines match can be very rewarding.

I applied to the XB1 platoon couple days ago, too. There's more than three of us on XBOX though? Right? ;(

Don't like the Frontlines timer. So irritating having 1/3 of your team disconnect or quit, do your damnedest to hang on at the last telegraph hoping for new players to join, push out and take one or two objectives, game over...

Dumb question, but how do I join the GAF platoon? I can't seem to find a Platoon option anywhere on the main menu.

Thanks in advance!

Hit LB at the main menu and you should see the window with BF1, BF4 options, etc. Platoons are about halfway down the list. Select, search for platoon, request to join...

Top Bottom