• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

hahahaha that Abigail gif..
Edit...
PS:This game gonna be dead to me come 9/22/17, GW2 next expansion, j/k, still login on Friday for missions..

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Picked the game up last Friday. Took all the advice in this thread (THANK YOU) and added it to some Youtube videos I've been watching in the background at work.Had about 12 hours on the clock and nothing but losses in casual online mode.

My best friend (who has played fighting games his whole life and love SF) and I had our first chance to play online together tonight.

As expected, he utterly destroyed me. Again and again. BUT(!), he did comment that I was demonstrating smart plays so early on. He complimented my strong blocks and the fact I was rarely giving him a chance to anti-air with my jumps. I did beat him in just a few rounds, and he said I was doing a great job of keeping up the pressure. At the very, very least... I'm on the right track, and that I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

I definitely have the bug to find more time this weekend to get some more practice in. Non-stop, I could instantly realize what I was doing "wrong." It's fun to start to tell yourself "no, don't do THAT, instead do THIS."

MCD250

O rollback netcode, thou art amazing. In one frame I see my cr.MK hit a grounded opponent and in the next frame the opponent is already jumping in on me...
The best is when it saves your ass. One time I did a DP, which my opponent very definitely blocked, and it rolled back to the moment before I did the DP. No FADC necessary.

kikiribu

GW2 next expansion
q2A9LHd.gif

kirblar

Picked the game up last Friday. Took all the advice in this thread (THANK YOU) and added it to some Youtube videos I've been watching in the background at work.Had about 12 hours on the clock and nothing but losses in casual online mode.

My best friend (who has played fighting games his whole life and love SF) and I had our first chance to play online together tonight.

As expected, he utterly destroyed me. Again and again. BUT(!), he did comment that I was demonstrating smart plays so early on. He complimented my strong blocks and the fact I was rarely giving him a chance to anti-air with my jumps. I did beat him in just a few rounds, and he said I was doing a great job of keeping up the pressure. At the very, very least... I'm on the right track, and that I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

I definitely have the bug to find more time this weekend to get some more practice in. Non-stop, I could instantly realize what I was doing "wrong." It's fun to start to tell yourself "no, don't do THAT, instead do THIS."
SFV S1 (2016) is $10 digital at Gamestop and Amazon right now.

That's a new mechanic: Rollback cancel.

Hold up, you just gave me a great idea. New SSFV mechanic, you can roll cancel now. And I mean the back roll after you've been knocked down. Don't worry, it can only be done with a special move or CA. I don't want to get too crazy with this idea.

Next year fuck your perfect meaty timing, my DP is coming out 2 frames earlier than you expected bruh.

HardRojo

Hold up, you just gave me a great idea. New SSFV mechanic, you can roll cancel now. And I mean the back roll after you've been knocked down. Don't worry, it'll only special moves or CA. I don't want to get too crazy with this idea.

Next year fuck your perfect meaty timing, my DP is coming out 2 frames earlier than you expected bruh.

You mean like KoF? That'd be an interesting idea.

You mean like KoF? That'd be an interesting idea.

I don't play KOF so I don't know how similar the idea would be. My idea was mainly from CVS2 and from Yun's back dash in SF4. I think the final few frames of his back dash are cancelable. Several times when Kazunoko was cornered he would wake up back dash into up kicks.

To be honest I wasn't being serious with this suggestion. But it would definite help defense a lot. Maybe too much actually. But I'd love for them to explore the possibility of adding this mechanic.

HardRojo

Can somebody please tell me why i'm so bad (im Chun). I know I miss a bunch of punish opportunities which I have to work on but does anything else stand out? I never improve and I lose to the dumbest shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7Oc0HD6Kc&feature=youtu.be

You got your light AA game on point, try to keep the pressure going after you do it and dash in for a grab or meaty pressure. Also, Chuns usually try to go for the slide and cancel into VT for either a confirm or mixup opportunity, depending on whether it hit or was blocked, use the freeze from the VT activation to see what happened and react accordingly, you never did that and the Ryu didn't feel challenged. Definitely work on your punishes, you're leaving a lot of damage on the table for not capitalizing on them, you had several opportunities for decent and good punishes, but let them go. Find your crush counter punish, as soon as you block a DP (especially heavy ones, which give you more time to react), get in there punish hard. That's basically it but I don't play Chun so I'm sure someone else can give you even better advice.

FluxWaveZ

Can somebody please tell me why i'm so bad (im Chun). I know I miss a bunch of punish opportunities which I have to work on but does anything else stand out? I never improve and I lose to the dumbest shit.

The only times where you're making an actual offensive approach, it's a jumping forward + j.HK. Otherwise, you're walking back, throwing a fire ball, crouching for a bit, and thinking of when the next time your jump will be. Real predictable patterns, and way too much of a reserved playstyle. Chun-Li has good buttons; abuse them, while walking forward.

Also, you're missing punishes all over the place. At 1:49, you blocked a shoryuken and you just stared at him. You did the same when you blocked a CA before, too. Those are the most obvious opportunities for punishes, and if you don't take them, you won't be going anywhere.

AlexIIDX

Thanks guys. I'll work on it. I always play too defensive I gotta try and change that. And I freeze up sometimes like with the blocked shoryuken.

OniBaka

Hold up, you just gave me a great idea. New SSFV mechanic, you can roll cancel now. And I mean the back roll after you've been knocked down. Don't worry, it can only be done with a special move or CA. I don't want to get too crazy with this idea.

That sounds good, when you get knocked down you can use a v trigger bar do an invincible roll on either side.

JusDoIt

That sounds good, when you get knocked down you can use a v trigger bar do an invincible roll on either side.

Now we're talking. A defensive option that disrupts set play. Also another Street Fighter Alpha mechanic to accompany the fake Alpha Counters.

Give me this instead of the wack ass FADC/Roman Cancels that extend combos.

Edzi

Now we're talking. A defensive option that disrupts set play. Also another Street Fighter Alpha mechanic to accompany the fake Alpha Counters.

Give me this instead of the wack ass FADC/Roman Cancels that extend combos.

You do realize that cancels can be defensive too, right?

Kashiwaba

Nice new OT. Also i ended up losing 0-2 in today local lol I'm so washed up i need to start playing this game more often :(

Gilgamech

I didn't know how much I needed that Abigail gif in my life. He's like a big dumb ugly dog that you can help but smile at. I hope this added characterization in the animations continues for the remaining cast.

Rymuth

Season 1 pass is currently $10 on Amazon. I've seen plenty of posts ask when the season 1 pass goes on sale but I can't risk making another thread and watch it turn into a quagmire.

kirblar

Season 1 pass is currently $10 on Amazon. I've seen plenty of posts ask when the season 1 pass goes on sale but I can't risk making another thread and watch it turn into a quagmire.
If it's part of a general sale like Gamestop's you could make a thread "Digital sale at Amazon, SFV S1: $10, blah blah $5, etc."

Male swimsuits and female Eve costumes, deal?
Male swimsuits, yes. And I mean real swimsuits, on the hunkiest SF dudes.

I have no idea what an "Eve costume" is, but I'm sure you'll get it. There's no occasion that doesn't call for Chun-Li or Ibuki to get another outfit. They're probably working on a damn Arbor Day set.

Ganyc

Male swimsuits, yes. And I mean real swimsuits, on the hunkiest SF dudes.

I have no idea what an "Eve costume" is, but I'm sure you'll get it. There's no occasion that doesn't call for Chun-Li or Ibuki to get another outfit. They're probably working on a damn Arbor Day set.

Eve as in Adam and Eve :v

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Flux is right (obviously) that your game plan is a bit predictable, but you could have won this match anyway if your reactions to punish situations were a little faster and your combos were 100% executed. Your defence was also the issue in a few spots and you got hit by things that weren't really tricky. That could be a matter of reaction times too, or maybe just developing better habits like always blocking low until you see you need to block high.

You'll have to redouble your efforts to incessantly bitch about stupid things this time.

Once S3 comes out and see if Jab AA and jump ins are still unbalanced.

O rollback netcode, thou art amazing. In one frame I see my cr.MK hit a grounded opponent and in the next frame the opponent is already jumping in on me...

It's like two kids arguing over playing an imaginary game.

Kid 1: I just my 7f Cr.mk
Kid 2: Well I use my 12f CC. I win

Kid 1: Your move was 5f slower!
Kid 2: Well I use Rollback

KId 1: That's Cheating!
Capcom: Quiet or both of you are getting nerfed.

Top Bottom