• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Tyeforce

Does anyone know if there's been a Navy King Tank with Ninja Squid as the primary ability for sale in Annie's shop on SplatNet 2? And if so, does anyone happen to have one that I can order from you?

S2_Gear_Clothing_Navy_King_Tank.png
240px-Ability_Ninja_Squid.svg.png

I'm trying to plan out my preferred set of gear, and I've heard that Ninja Squid is considered one of the best abilities to have, so I'd like to get my favorite top with that ability if possible.

The entry period for the Famitsu Fashion Contest ended a couple of days ago. Interested to see what designs end up winning. I thought the winner in the first game was neat.

Also waiting for Nintendo to start collaborating with companies again, either with Splatfests or in-game items.

ChrisD

Word. Splatoon has enough bands where they could hold their own Splatoon Music Festival if they wanted to.

None of the other bands ever got models though. :(
Really want to see Chirpy Chips, or Hightide Era, or heck, even Wet Floor play on-stage during Splatfests. Give these characters more life to them, a body, something beyond a 2D face on billboards!

I feel as if at this point I'm not picking clothes for abilities but purely for looks.

FashionSplat is the only way to go if one is not grinding gear for Chunks. Complete with mixing and matching hairstyles and shorts/skirt/pants.

Wow, OT2 already? And I thought the SFV OTs went by quickly.

Didn't Splat1's move at a nutty pace? Like, on 2 within a week?

I am shocked as well though! A Splatoon OT moving after the Discord era arrived.

Callie da best

Marie is a loser

no u

Estoc

Wow, ranked battles are a whole different kettle of fish, huh?

Played my first tower and splatzone modes. Whereas you can get away with being clever and finding 'blue ocean' in Turf War, in ranked you absolutely need to know the map and where the best points are, you need to have an appropriate weapon for the mode and you need to be able to win 1 vs 1 duels.

It's the last part I struggle at but I still won 66% of my matches to start with so I was happy.

There are several factors contributing to the difference in how ranked mode play when compared with casual, I think.

One of them is that they are objective-based games, so instead of the team splitting up to paint ground, everyone rush to the objective, so you would usually get into situation where you're fighting several people with your team, or fighting multiple on your own. It's also more likely to run into someone aiming to kill, whereas in turf war, you could catch a ground-painter who is unprepared to fight. My experience differs from yours however, I have rarely ever run into 1 v 1 duels in ranked.

I think the other factor is that it's called "ranked mode", the name likely scared a couple of casual players away, so you're more likely to run into people confident/skilled in their game.

I agree that weapon selection is a lot different compared with turf war, since you could choose weapons that are better at killing than painting.

1upsuper

I know this is a dumb complaint but I really miss the staircase and second story platform from the first game's hub. This hub needs more verticality.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
As a veteran of Splatoon 1 the drop out rates in this game seem really bad. Like, it's rare to have a full roster by the end of a match. Maybe because people are trying to use crappy mobile/hotel connections?
That, plus last weekend was particularly bad for me (got dropped 4 times), whereas the weekday nights before were fine.

Kinokou

I really don't get this summer gear event. Which gear is included in it? Has non of them been in the game shop or featured on Spaltnet before? Will they never be promoted at Splatnet again?

I really don't get this summer gear event. Which gear is included in it? Has non of them been in the game shop or featured on Spaltnet before? Will they never be promoted at Splatnet again?

Those gears has been in the shop since launch, but will only appear in Splatnet for 6 days with different main ability. We don't know if they'll appear again in the future.

MarkusRJR

So I finally got around to playing a bit of Splatoon 2. I really enjoyed Splatoon's controls but here it feels a bit bad. I think it's mostly due to the joycon's analog sticks not being great, but even the motion sensing is a bit off. If I move left, right, and then return my original position (a process that takes a second or two), my cursor noticeably drifts. Would getting a Pro controller help? I was planning on waiting for a revision that fixes the bad d-pad, but it'd be nice to play Splatoon like I did on Wii U.

Also, I feel like this game is really unplayable in portable mode. There's no way to make the controls feel comfortable and I play way worse. Kind of a shame. I would've loved playing Splatoon 2 during my 2 hour spare at Uni this year.

JonnyKong

Has the Rainmaker been buffed lately? Everytime I have a game lately it seems as though I'm getting beasted by that damn gun. Or maybe more people are getting really good at using it 🤔

Kinokou

Those gears has been in the shop since launch, but will only appear in Splatnet for 6 days with different main ability. We don't know if they'll appear again in the future.

Ok thank you for explaining it. Seems like an odd thing to make an event of since all spaltnet gear has a different main ability by default.

Biske

Has the Rainmaker been buffed lately? Everytime I have a game lately it seems as though I'm getting beasted by that damn gun. Or maybe more people are getting really good at using it 🤔

It's been an adjustment compared to Splatoon 1 and the differences in the gun, people are definitely getting the hang of it and it's more and more lethal.

So I finally got around to playing a bit of Splatoon 2. I really enjoyed Splatoon's controls but here it feels a bit bad. I think it's mostly due to the joycon's analog sticks not being great, but even the motion sensing is a bit off. If I move left, right, and then return my original position (a process that takes a second or two), my cursor noticeably drifts. Would getting a Pro controller help? I was planning on waiting for a revision that fixes the bad d-pad, but it'd be nice to play Splatoon like I did on Wii U.

Also, I feel like this game is really unplayable in portable mode. There's no way to make the controls feel comfortable and I play way worse. Kind of a shame. I would've loved playing Splatoon 2 during my 2 hour spare at Uni this year.

I somewhat agree, and yes, the Pro controller is a dream to use with this game.

I'm on the road right now, and gonna try using the joy cons hand-held with the screen standing to see if that helps.

Estoc

Tried calibrating the motion control? You should also try messing with the sensitivity, while I personally prefer to have it tuned down to -3.5, I have seen people suggesting that it's better to tune it up to the positive.

On playing Splatoon 2 outdoor, I prefer to play tabletop mode because then I would be able to keep my motion aiming without having to turn my screen. Of course, you'd want to do it at a place you can trust, I would never do it in any public place in the mainland China, someone could just snatch it walking by... If that's not an option then I would just play something else, or not at all.

It's amazing how my shops haven't been great with updating. Most of my clothes I've received is because I ordered them off of other players. Otherwise my shop never got them.

Doorman

I'd just been lamenting last night my somewhat lacking options of headgear with run speed mains on for a secondary Heavy build I wanted to make. Lo and behold, Anniezon to the rescue this morning with Run Speed Tinted Shades, which'll go perfectly with my object shredder sandals for a casual summer look. Good contrast to the more wintry heavy-duty look of my main Heavy build. Thanks Annie!

I really should use the heavy more. It's done very well in getting me out of the early ranked doldrums.

I booted up Splatoon 2 last night and got this weird message how it was fishy how I terminated my online match and if it keeps happening I would be blocked...?? What on earth was that about?

What's the consensus on the Umbrella? I like it but I don't know how to use it properly.
I'm not sure yet myself. I like how quick you can rush using it. Basically shoot, swim, jump, repeat until you're where you want to be. It's good for paiting as well. And i overall I think it's versatile in that you can use it to paint, splat and as shield/protection (or distraction). Splatting certain enemies/weapons can be hard though, as the shotgun is pretty slow. Missing the first shot regularly results in getting splatted in my experience, especially when you're too upclose.

I've barely played any single player but like 35 hours of multiplayer.

Opposite for me. Never played before since I didn't have a Wii U, so I wanted to work through the campaign first and learned how to play. Made it to the final boss yesterday but couldn't beat him.

I'm interested to jump into online, but now I feel like I'm behind. I'll see how it goes.

If I end up on anyone's team and suck - sorry! I'm old and my reflexes have declined. Maybe you'll get lucky and my kids will be on instead.

Takat

Did anyone else get a weird bug on Murrey Towers where some elements disappear? like your teamates arrows, some ink graphic and such? I got it twice on SplatZones, it comes back after I closed the game and restarted...

dyergram

Just got this yesterday really enjoying it so far. Just to be clear is progression between single and multiplayer completely separate? Also is there a way to upgrade my multiplayer guns or do I just buy replacements?

psychotron

Opposite for me. Never played before since I didn't have a Wii U, so I wanted to work through the campaign first and learned how to play. Made it to the final boss yesterday but couldn't beat him.

I'm interested to jump into online, but now I feel like I'm behind. I'll see how it goes.

If I end up on anyone's team and suck - sorry! I'm old and my reflexes have declined. Maybe you'll get lucky and my kids will be on instead.

Beat the final boss last night. Incredibly long battle and I thought I was screwed a few times. Once you get the patterns down, it's not that bad. Just need to ink your area a hell of a lot so you can dodge quickly.

one_kill

Lost 5 games in a row despite getting the most kills due to being teamed up with beginner players. This game can be so irritating sometimes!

Doorman

Just got this yesterday really enjoying it so far. Just to be clear is progression between single and multiplayer completely separate? Also is there a way to upgrade my multiplayer guns or do I just buy replacements?

You can unlock the single player weapons as skins for some of the multiplayer weapons, but the base forms of those weapons have the same kit and stats so you aren't really missing much there. Playing Salmon Run can also net you cash, gear, ability chunks, and food/drink vouchers that all help your progression in multiplayer as well.

Weapon kits are sold as-is, no upgrades. Leveling up unlocks more weapons which aren't necessarily better, but give you more options tp find things that best suit your playstyle.

Top Bottom