• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT10| Ultimate Infuriation

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
the don't kill void walkers or despicable dreadlords. the can't deal with a big twilight drake and they majorly suffer from a primordial drake (if a warlock ever runs one)
I mean...this is what Dragonfire Potion is for. Or Horror combo with Pint-size. Or Kazz potion. Not sure why people think Drakes can just stomp through Priest. It's usually a good choice but it's not really game winning. Priest late game is so much stronger that the odds are really stacked against Warlock.

Please stop pretending Priest has weaknesses.

Thank you.

Edit: Also, I want to say that I was so goddamn wrong about Blood Razor. I said it was a shitty Death's Bite that wouldn't see any play in Wild, but I've mostly replaced my Death's Bites with this card. Just fantastic.

Edit2: Also, I feel like Sleep with the Fishes is replacing Brawl for me.

TankUP

Deck recipes aren't supposed to be the 9 best decks. That would be ridiculous if Blizzard "solved" the meta for us the day the set was released.

They are starting points.

I mean...this is what Dragonfire Potion is for..

Not sure if serious. Dragonfire potion has no effect on twilight drakes or primordial drakes. Those minions immunity to both Shadow words and Priests main standard-legal board clear is why those minions are good against priest.

wiibomb

I mean...this is what Dragonfire Potion is for. Or Horror combo with Pint-size. Or Kazz potion. Not sure why people think Drakes can just stomp through Priest. It's usually a good choice but it's not really game winning. Priest late game is so much stronger that the odds are really stacked against Warlock.

you need a 2 card combo for that and yes, they can have it, but it is inconsistent because of that same reason, also making a pint size potion + Shadow ward pain is better for me (no more horror worries).

also, no, I don't think those dragons can win the games against priests by any means, they are just... good against them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not sure if serious. Dragonfire potion has no effect on twilight drakes or primordial drakes. Those minions immunity to both Shadow words and Priests main standard-legal board clear is why those minions are good against priest.
Obviously talking about the Dreadlords. Primordial Drake is not even a realistic option in Warlock. Warlock is pretty bad into Priest right now having played it a bunch, and we literally just got stats that prove it. I feel like I'm being memed on or something. Your board gets wiped easy and Priest is just way stronger late.

TankUP

Obviously talking about the Dreadlords. Primordial Drake is not even a realistic option in Warlock. Warlock is pretty bad into Priest right now having played it a bunch, and we literally just got stats that prove it. I feel like I'm being memed on or something. Your board gets wiped easy and Priest is just way stronger late.

Yo I dunno nuffin about the match-up in standard. (it seems very warlock favored in wild but I'm sure that's not what we're talking about).

You just mentioned dfire potion as a counter to a list of cards that was mostly immune to it.

scarlet

that's convenient. I didn't disenchant my extra spreading plagues and I'm about to bank next monday 400 from 4 copies I have and 800 from 1 golden

that card might see a nerf, so I think it is convenient to let it sit.

I thought golden rare was worth 400 dust!

So now I'll have 1600 dust from 2 warleader and golden plague! Woohoo

But I'm saving my normal plague, cuz I'm still gonna use it.

Has this been posted?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/14/designing-hearthstones-death-knights

Gul'dan, Bloodlord would have been hiiiiilarious with Dreadsteeds.

Bloodlord Gul'dan would have been trash, though.

I really wish they would have gone with that first Gul'dan instead of the Zzzzz Demon N'zoth.

On Anduin:
We play tested him a lot in Highlander, in not Highlander, in burst desks, in OTK decks, so we had a lot of information on him.
Later:
The version that we had was a bit too much. But we thought that there are these pretty cool combinations with Raza that you can do in these in the Raza Kazakus decks. And also, even if you don't have Raza, it's still pretty good. So having the crazy combinations you can do without having it be an actual OTK deck, that is killing you from 30, there was something there, so we ended up changing it and keeping the cool combo nature at the end of the game. But removing the mass face damage in one turn.
Clearly they needed to do more testing if they think they removed the mass face damage potential.

But, Shadowreaper [Anduim] his power is called Voidform now, but it used to be like Empowered Shadowform, or something. So that when you cast Shadowform, there was some amount of synergy there, so maybe you could put Shadowform in your deck.
That explains the promo art. :(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's the same for Hunter. The battle cry used to be, "Summon your beasts that died this game." It was sort of a N’Zoth for beasts. The hero power was, deal 2 damage to all enemies. It was just a constant AOE over time to protect all the beasts that you had summoned this game.

that would be so dumb

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
On another edition of "Zealous steals Magic Cards and puts them into Hearthstone", we have... One with Nothing.

wHR7RHr.jpg
XxKMMus.png

Apparently, this is a somewhat infamously bad card in Magic. I learned about it via this rather nicely put together video calling it the Best Worst Card in the game.

Putting aside however it may or may not be used in Magic, it actually seems to me that it might actually be playable in Hearthstone given the existence of Malchezaar's Imp and Lakkari Sacrifice. I'm not 100% certain of that, but if it's not playable it would probably be just as much of a meme in Hearthstone as it is in Magic.

I think it's also notable that I didn't have to change a single damn thing about the card to put it into Hearthstone. Even the card text is exactly the same.

You should pick some difficult ones!

This is a card that would almost make Quest Warlock viable, in my opinion. You need to discard 6 cards. If you are on turn 1, you start with 4 cards.

Turn 1: Quest (3 cards in hand)
Turn 2: Tap (5 cards in hand)
Turn 3: Tap (7 cards in hand, play the 1-mana card and complete the Lakkari Quest)

The only problem is that you can't play the actual quest until turn 5! LOL!

ZealousD

You should pick some difficult ones!

I'm sure I'll pick some harder ones as I continue to learn the game. I'm planning to go to the Magic Open House this weekend and get my first cards and actually play the game for the first time. This is going to be a learning experience for me and as I continue to learn Magic I will get better at translating a card's intent or flavor into Hearthstone in ways I can't really do now. All I have now is a basic understanding of the rules.

And of course, there will be different reasons for why I might pick certain cards. One with Nothing presents an interesting puzzle in Hearthstone. So even if I didn't have to do anything to bring it over (other than identify what class it would go in), I think it still fits in with what I wanted to do with this little experiment.

I'm having fun with a play dead hunter inspired by the brawl deck.
I have two Meat Wagons, so I am going to give this a shot as well. Meat Wagon as an egg tutor is something I didn't think of...I don't recall anyone else bringing it up, either. We just talked about Doomsayer.

I'm sure I'll pick some harder ones as I continue to learn the game. I'm planning to go to the Magic Open House this weekend and get my first cards and actually play the game for the first time. This is going to be a learning experience for me and as I continue to learn Magic I will get better at translating a card's intent or flavor into Hearthstone in ways I can't really do now. All I have now is a basic understanding of the rules.

And of course, there will be different reasons for why I might pick certain cards. One with Nothing presents an interesting puzzle in Hearthstone. So even if I didn't have to do anything to bring it over (other than identify what class it would go in), I think it still fits in with what I wanted to do with this little experiment.
MtG is honestly a simple game. You'll be fine! But be warned: I consistently hear that MtG is extremely expensive to get into. Like, a single competitive deck is ~$500.

What's a Magic Open House?

I can't get past rank 18 with Priest so clearly it has a ton.
Post your deck, because that's ridiculous!

ZealousD

MtG is honestly a simple game. You'll be fine! But be warned: I consistently hear that MtG is extremely expensive to get into. Like, a single competitive deck is ~$500

I don't have much interest in building competitive decks with the physical cards. I imagine if I do actually get into the game I would probably stick to the limited formats because I can't imagine I would have the time or patience for actual competitive magic. At best maybe I become more competitive in MTG:Arena but I don't think we really know how earning cards in that game works yet.

IWhat's a Magic Open House?

Event where you get a free Welcome deck, learn the game, get a promo card, and play with other newbies.

Oh I guess I missed the news on Arena synergy being removed in the patch after next. That's good. I didn't hate as much after they tweaked it, but I think I still would get tired of it after an extended time with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...e_else_tired_of_auctioneer_book_wyrm/dmrdwbo/

Hmmm, I don't play a lot of arena, but I still don't know how I feel about this. I think the idea is solid, as it takes arena away from purely being Curvestone. But the way it was implemented was extremely flawed, ie. some classes getting near guaranteed Death Knights from it. I'd rather they take another crack at it down the line with some tweaks, which may be exactly what they're doing.

I don't have much interest in building competitive decks with the physical cards. I imagine if I do actually get into the game I would probably stick to the limited formats because I can't imagine I would have the time or patience for actual competitive magic. At best maybe I become more competitive in MTG:Arena but I don't think we really know how earning cards in that game works yet.

Event where you get a free Welcome deck, learn the game, get a promo card, and play with other newbies.

I didn't have a great experience with Magic, personally. The game was expensive. The people available to play with in my relatively small city were both socially awkward and pretty unwelcoming to newcomers, especially if you didn't memorize every card in a set before it came out. Plus, my girlfriend at the time was constantly being bothered by the guys there. Like, I wouldn't even call it "flirting" because they didn't have that level of social confidence. But it was definitely noticeable. I wasn't worried or jealous, just kind of... annoyed? It was very much like, "Really, dude?"

Anyway, it was this fairly bad crowd and the ability to only play either with them or just my GF (who I honestly think was faking enthusiasm just to have something in common) that led me into the warm embrace of Hearthstone.

Mileage may vary, and my experience is very anecdotal, so I'm sure for every story like mine there's 10 positive ones.

I'm having a hard time deciding between crafting for Big Priest or Razakus Priest. I have 6300 dust and I'm a bit short on being able to craft both decks.

Need Y'Shaarj, Lich King, 1x Obsidian Statue, 1x Shadow Visions, 1x Dragonfire Potion for Big Priest

Need Raza, Lyra, Curious Glimmeroot for Razakus Priest. And maybe Velen if he's deemed absolutely necessary.

Is anyone playing both lists and have any advice? Which deck are you enjoying more?

I'm having a hard time deciding between crafting for Big Priest or Razakus Priest. I have 6300 dust and I'm a bit short on being able to craft both decks.

Need Y'Shaarj, Lich King, 1x Obsidian Statue, 1x Shadow Visions, 1x Dragonfire Potion for Big Priest

Need Raza, Lyra, Curious Glimmeroot for Razakus Priest. And maybe Velen if he's deemed absolutely necessary.

Is anyone playing both lists and have any advice? Which deck are you enjoying more?

Both of the decks are very RNG based, but I feel like Big Priest is even more so. If you don't get Barnes on turn 4 (or the summon a 5/5 copy from your deck spell on turn 6, if you're against a slower deck,) then you just lose. It's also weaker to rush decks, I think.

Plus, I feel like there's just more choices in Razakus. It's fun to have 23/24 of stats on the board by turn 4, but that's kind of the one trick. While the endgame of Razakus revolves around machine gunning, how you get there and what you shoot when you do is what requires thought.

So, for me personally, I'd aim for Razakus just because it's less likely to get stale.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, I guess balance changes are going to affect arena too, aren't they?

My god, poor Warrior. As if they weren't dead enough in arena. Already had by far the weakest classic/basic set, and by far the weakest hero power, and now they're removing one of the two cards that made Warrior maybe good. The epic Gorehowl is all they have left, which to be fair is the still the best arena card in the game even over the DKs and UI, but good luck if you don't get it.

But hey, I'm sure their consistent commitment to the importance of arena balance will mean that Warrior will definitely get the arena buffs they desperately need next expansion.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just drafted a hunter list with 23 one to three mana cards, 5 four mana cards, 1 five mana card, and 1 seven mana card.

I don't know if this is great or terrible. At least my one drops are pretty good.

https://imgur.com/a/jDUhJ

Edit: ok I'm 1-1, but I think this is probably insanely good.

Edit 2: 1-2. Freaking god damn it i hate hearthstone sometimes. I swear i face the most insane decks at less than three wins every time. Kripp is wrong if he thinks these less than three wins insane decks is just a problem for streamers.

Edit 3: Sigh. 2-3. Only because I freaking passed turn 8 because my touchpad wanted to randomly click end turn before I can play any cards.

But why would you want to?

Anyway, I've been struggling at rank 7 for the last two days, and I decide to go back to Quest Warrior.

Undefeated to rank 5, completely destroying all aggro I come across. Even went 2-0 against Big Priest because most of their stuff has 8 health, so you get a free shot to nuke one of their few threats every turn.

It's such an underrated deck.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Anyway, I've been struggling at rank 7 for the last two days, and I decide to go back to Quest Warrior.

Undefeated to rank 5, completely destroying all aggro I come across. Even went 2-0 against Big Priest because most of their stuff has 8 health, so you get a free shot to nuke one of their few threats every turn.

I wish Saronite Chain Gang counted as 2 :(

Bunga

So it turns out DK Rexxar is a beast vs Jade druid lol. I just beat a druid who went through his entire deck just with the hero power zombeasts. Turns out poisonous is pretty good, especially when you get a damage all minion! So funny.

DJt6YFSWkAESWys.jpg

lmao. that doesn't sound very competitive.

Loool.

So the game ends in a position where they don't have enough cards to do lethal, both players gain a bunch of armor, and they just keep drawing over and over?

Someone should add a Rotface to that combo so they can atleast pump out random legendaries for the fabled Nozdormu get.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
32-13 with Pirate Warrior to rank 5 standard. Turns out that deck is still good. 5-0 against the mirror helps. Druid is difficult to play around spreading plague, but I'm not so sure it's as impossible as it seems. I think a lot of aggro players just aren't used to playing arround stuff.

Winrates

Now I'm rank 5 in both wild and standard, so I guess it's time to finally go for legend for the first time.

In wild? Why not giants?

I don't own warrior quest so I can't say how good it is, but it's good you're having success.

Hycran

Banned
Well, I just drafted a hunter list with 23 one to three mana cards, 5 four mana cards, 1 five mana card, and 1 seven mana card.

I don't know if this is great or terrible. At least my one drops are pretty good.

https://imgur.com/a/jDUhJ

Edit: ok I'm 1-1, but I think this is probably insanely good.

Edit 2: 1-2. Freaking god damn it i hate hearthstone sometimes. I swear i face the most insane decks at less than three wins every time. Kripp is wrong if he thinks these less than three wins insane decks is just a problem for streamers.

Edit 3: Sigh. 2-3. Only because I freaking passed turn 8 because my touchpad wanted to randomly click end turn before I can play any cards.

Not having card draw in a deck like this is fatal. Hunters really struggle for draw and if you can't flood the board in the first 7 turns you're going to have a real up hill slog. That's why stitched tracker is so good, because he always gets you something good and is a draw engine in a class that has lacked it since the buzzard nerf.

Also, people who slept on gnomeferatu are pinheads. I knew the card would be good and I've figured out why.

1: the "discard the bottom card" is mathematically correct but contextually false. Players mulligan for important early game pieces which makes the card more likely to hit late game pieces, thereby increasing the value of playing the card early in the game. I'm playing mill warlock as well so the value of increasing the fatigue count is realized quite frequently.

2: most decks nowadays don't have bad cards, so you almost always hit something good, particularly when playing against decks that have lynch pin cards like DK's, combo pieces, etc.

3: milling a death knight is so satisfying! So far I've hit Rexxar, Archmage, Y'Shaarj, Staghelm, Twisting Nether and Arcane Giant just to name a few juicy targets. Almost never lets me down.

32-13 with Pirate Warrior to rank 5 standard. Turns out that deck is still good. 5-0 against the mirror helps. Druid is difficult to play around spreading plague, but I'm not so sure it's as impossible as it seems. I think a lot of aggro players just aren't used to playing arround stuff.

Winrates

Now I'm rank 5 in both wild and standard, so I guess it's time to finally go for legend for the first time.

In wild? Why not giants?

I don't own warrior quest so I can't say how good it is, but it's good you're having success.
I don't own Molten Giants, and the desk is just so goddamned dumb and boring. Hand vomit into face to win, and it plays the same every time. I also really, really, really want the change reverted, so I am not going to invest right now. It is one of two decks making my Wild experience shitty.

TankUP

I don't get Bully in Razakus Priest. Had a priest quest and decided to try the deck in standard (I've only done the OP wild version so far) and Bully was really disappointing. There wasn't a single spot where I could safely drop it, as my hand size was such that getting a few coins would cause me to overdraw, and if I overdraw Raza or Shadowreaper I can't win in a control match-up.

With all the cycle, Kazakus, and Lyra, I never had fewer than 7 cards in hands.

Razakus is one of the most frustrating decks in the mirror--lost every time to the mirror because I never drew Raza in any of them. The last game I played Raza was bottom three!

I don't get Bully in Razakus Priest. Had a priest quest and decided to try the deck in standard (I've only done the OP wild version so far) and Bully was really disappointing. There wasn't a single spot where I could safely drop it, as my hand size was such that getting a few coins would cause me to overdraw, and if I overdraw Raza or Shadowreaper I can't win in a control match-up.

With all the cycle, Kazakus, and Lyra, I never had fewer than 7 cards in hands.

Razakus is one of the most frustrating decks in the mirror--lost every time to the mirror because I never drew Raza in any of them. The last game I played Raza was bottom three!
IMO you hard mulligan for Raza every time.

Nesingwary can also solve your problems!

TankUP

I'm 50 dust away from crafting Hemet. Already opened Benedictus. I really doubt the meme version is better than the standard list but it might be fun for rank floors.

I'm 50 dust away from crafting Hemet. Already opened Benedictus. I really doubt the meme version is better than the standard list but it might be fun for rank floors.
I suspect it is worse overall, but more consistent. I have all the parts except for DK Anduin, so I would like impressions and comparisons.

Also, people who slept on gnomeferatu are pinheads. I knew the card would be good and I've figured out why.

1: the "discard the bottom card" is mathematically correct but contextually false. Players mulligan for important early game pieces which makes the card more likely to hit late game pieces, thereby increasing the value of playing the card early in the game. I'm playing mill warlock as well so the value of increasing the fatigue count is realized quite frequently.

2: most decks nowadays don't have bad cards, so you almost always hit something good, particularly when playing against decks that have lynch pin cards like DK's, combo pieces, etc.

3: milling a death knight is so satisfying! So far I've hit Rexxar, Archmage, Y'Shaarj, Staghelm, Twisting Nether and Arcane Giant just to name a few juicy targets. Almost never lets me down.
I think people who slept on gnomeferatu got confirmation that it's a bad card. Sure no player willingly puts bad cards into their deck but they play a ton of situational cards that quickly turn bad.

Top Bottom