• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

cj_iwakura

Midou said:
I guess its obvious from my picture, but SMT is essentially my favorite RPG series. I'm playing through SMT2 now, I skipped first since I heard it was somewhat frustrating, but read the plot summary of the first game, would have blown my mind had I played it back in the SNES days, so insanely awesome.

I've been at the end of DDS2 for about a year and a half, but I keep putting it off for various reasons.

See that through. Once the endgame kicks into high gear, things go insane.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sazabirules said:
I've played a little Persona 3 before and want to get a Megami Tensei game. Should I get Nocturne or Persona 4?

Nocturne if you want to rip your balls out by stuffing your hand down your throat.

Persona 4 if you're a baby.

Your choice.

sazabirules said:
I've played a little Persona 3 before and want to get a Megami Tensei game. Should I get Nocturne or Persona 4?
Get Nocturne if you just want a deep and challenging battle system.

Get Persona 4 if you like the school setting and social link stuff. Also voice acting.

Currently playing P3P and Strange Journey. Started both about the same time and are the only games of the megaten games I have played. I know I need to play Nocturne but not having a ps2 ruins that for me. I love the games though and the settings are far and away better then most other RPGs I have played. Gonna sub to this thread for sure.

It'd be cool if the demons had a bit more personality in the Persona games. One thing that Nocturne far surpasses them in (more like 3 and 4 since you still had the negotiations in the first two).

Uncle AJ

Awesome OP.

I ran a half-marathon this past weekend, and listening to the Nocturne and DDS soundtracks definitely helped keep me motivated during it. Can't think of any other game soundtracks I've listened to the crap out of more than SMT.

TheSeks said:
Nocturne if you want to rip your balls out by stuffing your hand down your throat.

Persona 4 if you're a baby.

Your choice.

Having played both of those games twice now, Persona 4 is definitely more of my pace because what you need to do and where you need to go is 100% straightforward, and there are more safeguards against stupid random deaths like the Homonculus and party members taking mortal blows for you. Call that for babies if you want, I like Nocturne for different reasons too, but I definitely appreciate the smaller chance of failure in P3 and 4.

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
Sure, but it isn't an easy SMT to start off with.

Nope, but why not start with the best?

But if you must avoid a challenge, I'd recommend the first Raidou game or Persona 1&2 on the PSP. They're all pretty fair.

(Not Persona 2 EP, god no; it will break you.)

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
Nope, but why not start with the best?

Matador.jpg

Because of him.

P3/4 have fusions that the rest of the SMT games besides... P2 have? So it's a good babies starter even if it isn't the contact system that the rest use.

Nocturne isn't that hard once you realize that you how important buffing and de-buffing is. Labyrinth of Amala can be a pain in the ass though.

Forkball

I've only played Nocturne and Persona 3. Nocturne was too frustrating and unforgiving for me, but I really dug Persona 3 a lot even though it had it's unforgiving and frustrating moments. I always thought the art and aesthetic of the series was very interesting, a mix of cyberpunk and dark fantasy. Plus Kaneko's artwork is amazing.

Uncle AJ

cj_iwakura said:
Two words: Null Force.

Don't think you can get a Magatama that does that until after you beat him. Having
Nozuchi
and
Uzume
on the team to block force are the biggest help.

Dark Might is a common early skill that's also a huge help if you trigger the fight when moon phase is New.

toasty_T said:
It'd be cool if the demons had a bit more personality in the Persona games. One thing that Nocturne far surpasses them in (more like 3 and 4 since you still had the negotiations in the first two).

Well you fight shadows and the demons only manifest as Personae, so I don't see how you'd be able to negotiate with either group.

TheSeks

Augemitbutter said:
wow, what's up with these community threads lately.

Dunno, but it's a good "catch all" thread for LTTP and the like.

Aeana

TheSeks said:
Dunno, but it's a good "catch all" thread for LTTP and the like.
I don't really think they'll stop those, especially since they will all end up in the community forum.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Where the fuck is my current-gen console SMT experience Atlus? WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?

Previous gens we have Nocturne, DDS, and although not really 'SMT', stuff like Devil Summoner.

Now aside from Catherine, which is not an RPG at all, we got nothing from Atlus on the console front. So WHERE THE FUCK IS IT? :mad:

TheSeks said:
Matador.jpg

Because of him.

That IS a reason why!

And there's a downside to less frequent Megatening in P3/4, you temptation to be careless grows stronger. Suddenly, you run out of Homonculi, or Goh-Homs, and...

Where the fuck is my current-gen console SMT experience Atlus? WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?

Previous gens we have Nocturne, DDS, and although not really 'SMT', stuff like Devil Summoner.

Now aside from Catherine, which is not an RPG at all, we got nothing from Atlus on the console front. So WHERE THE FUCK IS IT? :mad:

Probably they were understandably skittish over this fucked up generation.

Boogiepop

Just started SJ, and, as expected (being both an SMT fan and an EO fan), I'm loving it thus far. Can't wait to really dig into it.

Bebpo

Banned
Megaten is one of my favorite franchises. Played through all of the games from Nocturne->Devil Survivor 2, but haven't been able to finish any of the earlier ones, they all feel a bit dated and don't have the combat-depth, speed, or style I've come to expect of the series.

Now while I do love Megaten, I have to say after playing yearly entries (sometimes even two a year), the formula of "get basic agi/bubu spells and hit weakpoints" then "get mediarama" then "get party attacking magic" etc...is getting kind of old. Sure it's the BASE of megaten gameplay, but I'd say about 50% of any new megaten feels like a repeat of what I've already done a million times before "oh, ok, this guy blocks wind and fire and is weak to ice. Let's get the right demons to counter that" etc, etc...

Maybe this is heresy but I'd like to see the next major megaten, whether it's P5 or SMT4 or a new franchise shake things up in that department. I feel like Devil Survivor did a good job of that by adding in the map strategy elements and Raidou kind of mixed it up with the action. So I think it's time for more mixing up megaten to keep it fresh beyond just new story, new music, new style.

PS. Catherine was really cool

Bebpo said:
Megaten is one of my favorite franchises. Played through all of the games from Nocturne->Devil Survivor 2, but haven't been able to finish any of the earlier ones, they all feel a bit dated and don't have the combat-depth, speed, or style I've come to expect of the series.

Now while I do love Megaten, I have to say after playing yearly entries (sometimes even two a year), the formula of "get basic agi/bubu spells and hit weakpoints" then "get mediarama" then "get party attacking magic" etc...is getting kind of old. Sure it's the BASE of megaten gameplay, but I'd say about 50% of any new megaten feels like a repeat of what I've already done a million times before "oh, ok, this guy blocks wind and fire and is weak to ice. Let's get the right demons to counter that" etc, etc...

Maybe this is heresy but I'd like to see the next major megaten, whether it's P5 or SMT4 or a new franchise shake things up in that department. I feel like Devil Survivor did a good job of that by adding in the map strategy elements and Raidou kind of mixed it up with the action. So I think it's time for more mixing up megaten to keep it fresh beyond just new story, new music, new style.

PS. Catherine was really cool

Hashino's been mentioning that P5 will be different that 3&4, which also has me hot 'n bothered.

daemonic

Banned
Played the hell out of Nocturne (at least three times fully) and Persona 1 and 2. Didn't care much for P3 but loved P4. Also had a blast with Devil Survivor, looking forward to the sequel. Haven't finished Strange Journey.. the addiction didn't kick in until I was around level 20 or so. Still have Devil Summoner 2 to finish and Persona 2. Can't get enough megaten.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Hashino's been mentioning that P5 will be different that 3&4, which also has me hot 'n bothered.

Why though? As fans of the series/franchise I always look forward to how they can change the games up. It'll blow our minds and I welcome it.

Speaking of Persona, I understand it's their flagship series now given recent success. I just feel that it's been a trick pony show now with a smartphone game, magazine, PS Vita gmae, fighting game, & anime.

I wonder what's going on with the mainline SMT games.

TheSeks

Man, Persona Trinity Soul drags. 5 episodes in and there still isn't any mention of
Strega/Apathy Syndrome (okay, they did this, but it's "reverse")
and no
Akihiko-senpai, the only reason I'm watching

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
I didn't make it past the second episode. I've heard it only gets worse.

Shame, because it had potential.

Dunno what potential you're talking about. :/

In any case, they just pulled the school trip and the boys (well the one with the afro) seeing two of the girls naked at the hotsprings.

Also :lol @ the dude failing to play B.S. by announcing an 11 for the middle-school kid to call BS on him.

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
Dunno what potential you're talking about. :/

In any case, they just pulled the school trip and the boys (well the one with the afro) seeing two of the girls naked at the hotsprings.

Also :lol @ the dude failing to play B.S. by announcing an 11 for the middle-school kid to call BS on him.

The general mood of the show, the Persona designs, things like that.

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
The general mood of the show, the Persona designs, things like that.

Yeah, the persona designs are "WAT," but the tone of the show seems to take some of the plot points of Persona 3
Strega/new group that are like them, the pills that Shinjiro took from Strega is one of the main character brother/the police chief's controlling of his Persona, Apathy Syndrome that's renamed "reverse" for extreme cases that kill themselves.
and runs with them. It's starting to pick up 11 episodes in, but 11 of 26 episodes is WAYYYYY too slow for a show to be dragging and not picking its feet up in getting it's plot going.

Edit: *fangirl squeal*
Akihiko-senpai at
Episode 14. Maybe now things are getting somewhere since it's "second season" after that big drama in Episode 13. :OOOOOO.

TheSeks

People play Imagine?

Also CJ: This defintely picks up in the second half after
the police chief/oldest brother's Persona goes wild and kills his girlfriend/the coroner. Thereby he flees the city. Akihiko comes in and apparently is set to "cover up the existence of Personas" while trying to figure out what the hell the new Strega/Maribito's goals are. Apparently, they're "stealing Personas" to "better their own but at the cost of affecting other people" (Possible: Apathy Syndrome) while killing the person that they're stealing from.

Pretty good if you're willing to slog through the first half that is pretty boring and the dick moments of the police chief.

cj_iwakura

Urban Scholar said:
How is the music? Is it something I'd bump all day on loop? You more or less know what I like.

Amazing. Here's some of my favorites:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2uXxZoMqM (Nakano Field, GODTIER)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThEairysF8 (Shinjuku Babel, primary hub)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Jl9-m3QHA (Neutral City Protopia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6QRyVi7Y4 (Arcadia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWpC1YADsv8 (Suginami; this is a remix of SMT2's world map, I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6Tw7aJ2gU (Ichigaya, an SMT1 remix of my favorite track, Temple of the Four Heavenly Gods)

randomkid

Reading through the thread again, seems like a running theme is a bunch of people who've collected lots of SMT games without beating them. I didn't really think I'd be in the top 10 or anything in terms of number of games where I've seen the credits, but I kinda think I am!

Here's my list in the order I beat em:

Revelations: Persona, SMT3: Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2, Raidou 1, Persona 3, Persona 3 FES: The Answer, Persona 4, Raidou 2, Persona PSP (Snow Queen Quest + Sebec Route), Strange Journey.

So that makes 11 (9 if you don't count the new content in the ports I suppose). I like every single one of the above games except for the Answer.

I'm about 30 hours into Innocent Sin, (SOO GOOD) and plan to beat it soon. There are only two Megaten games I've ever given up on. Devil Survivor I lasted until Day 3 before realizing I wasn't having fun. I planned to return to it anyways out of grim determination but lost the cartridge during a move. SMT:Online is something I will try out again when I get my new laptop, but honestly, I think I hate MMOs so much that even Kaneko can't make it work for me.

Anyways, who's got me beat? Aeana and CJ obviously demolish my paltry 11, maybe Seks too, but I'm just curious if the average Megaten fan collects games or actually beats em.

TheSeks

Well, I've beaten Persona 1: PSP/Sebec route (need to do the Snow queen), Persona 2: Innocent Sin (close to twice, need to complete the PSP remake for that), Persona 3: FES Episodes: Yourself/Aigis (Journey and the Answer), Persona 4.

I just gotta get back on the horse for Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, and Nocturne.

Also completed Trinity Soul. The whole ending was "what the hell?!" because it goes End of Evagelion on you before that point only for
the older brother/police chief, who blames the Persona's for his parents deaths and wants to get rid of them for his parents "sins" of researching them similar to Kirijo (Kujuo being the Japanese Kirijo group?) suddenly has a change of heart and helps the main protagonist/middle brother save their younger brother from killing all the Persona's/probably Apathy Syndroming the whole world due to the girl anatagonist that was researched on attempting to do that.

Akihiko was worth watching here because he's pretty cold and calculating but attempts to get the job/mystery/case done even though he can't summon his Persona anymore. But, yeah, it's apparently "non-cannon" according to Persona 3: Portable's art-book, so the whole slog for it to pick up and then suddenly go "what?" was a bit of a letdown and not worth the time.

I can see why Atlus went the route of doing a 1:1-sort-of conversion of Persona 4.

randomkid

Ahaha, I was way off. Five games is slacking dude, slacking.

I never had any interest at all in the Persona 3 anime. The Answer was ruinous enough, I want to keep my happy memories of the vanilla P3 experience.

Vally

I liked Trinity Soul; most of the time I didn't understand exactly what was going on but it's one of those shows I like to watch just for the characters, and the mood and atmosphere. Could have been great if only the story had been better.

TheSeks

randomkid said:
Ahaha, I was way off. Five games is slacking dude, slacking.

I never had any interest at all in the Persona 3 anime. The Answer was ruinous enough, I want to keep my happy memories of the vanilla P3 experience.

I actually like Episode: Aigis. It was a good close other than the end boss/end story bit. Plus it was pure dungeon crawl instead of "EVERYDAY OF OUR LIVES AT JUNES~" S. Links. Blech.

Vally said:
Could have been great if only the story had been better.

Main character/Middle brother has the power to kill Personas. Younger brother/twin sister has the ability to "calm them." Dunno what the older/police chief brothers Persona does.

Anyway, the "whale" is something I don't seem to understand but the "witch" red-dress girl is trying to kill all Personae to stop the world from using it's power or something like that.

Also gendering bending action with the "return"ers that come back after 10 years after being taken away by the girl (IIRC) but they aren't the same person, a different persons mindset/personality in that other persons shell.

Really, the whole thing wasn't worth watching except for Akihiko.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone tell me the name of the song in Persona 4 that plays when you're in that first screen of the TV world? I tried finding it on the soundtrack that came with the game but the CD seems incomplete.

Aeana

sazabirules said:
Can anyone tell me the name of the song in Persona 4 that plays when you're in that first screen of the TV world? I tried finding it on the soundtrack that came with the game but the CD seems incomplete.
Are you talking about this? Backside of the TV

Top Bottom