• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PS1 versions are better IIRC. Them transparencies.
I don't remember if there was additional content on Saturn.
Megaman X4 on Saturn has some extra background layers and effects in some stages. For instance, the second part of the first stage (with the fire in the background) features some nice warping effects on Saturn while it appears static on PSX.

It sounds crisper somehow. Could be that I have a crappy HDMI cable.
What are you using as a comparison? The PS3 can produce fully digital, uncompressed audio from its HDMI port while the Saturn is limited to analog stereo (which can still sound amazing, of course).

.la1n

Megaman X4 on Saturn has some extra background layers and effects in some stages. For instance, the second part of the first stage (with the fire in the background) features some nice warping effects on Saturn while it appears static on PSX.

What are you using as a comparison? The PS3 can produce fully digital, uncompressed audio from its HDMI port while the Saturn is limited to analog stereo (which can still sound amazing, of course).

You are correct sir, it did have added layers in some stages. The Saturn was the ultimate 2D gaming console, it is unfortunate that NTSC and EU never experienced most of the fantastic library (unless you imported, if not then get to it!)

Seik

Banned
wpi6T.jpg

This TV certainly does not suck. Pink noise ? Don't you mean high pitched noise ? Even so, I've played on that tv for numerous hours (when we were playing FFVII together) and it certainly didn't bother anyone in the room.

I know the real reason. ADMIT IT. YOU FEAR T3H EX RAY.

High pitched noise, yes, its not my fault if your ears are used and old. ;)

Gotta say, the more I'm gaming on HDTVs the more I tend to leave CRT tech behind. Those will just fade away with time, sadly.

dark10x

High pitched noise, yes, its not my fault if your ears are used and old. ;)

Gotta say, the more I'm gaming on HDTVs the more I tend to leave CRT tech behind. Those will just fade away with time, sadly.
I think there is room for both. I play all modern games on high quality HD displays, but the fact is, retro games simply do not display properly on these modern displays. The way in which 240p is rendered by a standard def CRT is not something you can match with a fixed pixel display.

It's difficult to find photos which demonstrate this well, but this kind of does it. You'll notice how you don't necessarily see a collection of individual pixels, rather, smooth lines. It's a very specific look that is difficult to emulate on another display. In addition, CRTs offer a refresh rate much smoother than any flat panel that looks fantastic with 60 fps side scrolling games. It's just such a crisp, smooth image. These games were MADE for the characteristics of these displays and just just don't look the same otherwise.

IMG_4809.jpg

I just tried Shining The Holy Ark. HUGE improvement over playing on an original Saturn. It has absolutely no lags while running on SSF. Huge slowdowns are happening on Saturn during a spell or while sending a bunch of dwarves/fairies in the beginning of a fight.

yX9GD.png

Man its been a while since I played, its so good, dat battle theme!

Better buy it sooner than later, prices will raise with time since...*gasp* *sob, manly tear, etc* MM is dead.

God I love that game. Remember the day I bought it as well. Still have it!

Interest in emulation rising.

Since we're on the subject of HDTVs, anyone have any experience with any of the Micomsoft upscale units like XRGB for old consoles?

I thought about the XRGB3 for a while but once I saw the quality of the Saturn and Genesis over RGB SCART I just couldn't justify the price and the hassle of configuring it.

When I'm ripping my games with imgburn I choose the ISO format, imgburn warns me with some yoda quote but I continue, and it works perfectly when everything is set on the virtual drive. Make sure that your emulator is set to work with your virtual drive and not the physical drive, check your BIOS and region settings too. Don't give up, when it'll be set you won't have to touch anything again! ;)

Btw, downloading roms is illegal, don't do it

Not if you delete it after 24 hours.

Seik

Banned

Heheh! C'mon man, DO IT, you know you want it! :D

Never tried Nights, always was on the fence. It's been a while since I added a Saturn game in my collection and I heard so much good about it, time to invest soon I guess.

Not if you delete it after 24 hours.

Well, maybe. I think that's a non-written law, but whatever. I don't want to derail the thread into this subject. You know what I meant by this. :p

Fou-Lu

I bought a Sega Saturn last summer... It doesn't work... :(

I think the laser might be busted, because it doesn't even attempt to spin discs and the laser never moves.

Tain

I just picked this bad boy up for 100 yen. Its immaculate and it works perfectly. My new Toshiba Regza 40 inch handles the s-video signal flawlessly. I am very impressed. I'd be really happy if I could find a USB adapter for saturn controllers. Or even a DC-Saturn converter so I can use this thing on VOOT.

DSCF0003.jpg

I was tempted to grab the other twin stick they had but it was 300 yen and not in as good shape. I am sure another good deal like this will come around eventually. I am still kicking myself for not buying the netlink and the wireless IR control pad set I saw a couple years back. My Saturn periphrial collection would have been nearly complete in my eyes. XD

Saturn Virtual On is so terrible, though. :[

The best thing to do with Saturn twinsticks is probably hacking 'em up for use with 360 VOOT, but using Dreamcast adapter and playing the DC version isn't bad.

dark10x

I think the laser might be busted, because it doesn't even attempt to spin discs and the laser never moves.
There is a clip within the case that tells the system that the lid is closed. You should make sure this is pressed properly first.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a Saturn emulator that will increase the resolution, similarly to what Dolphin or EPSXE do?

I realize SSF's emulation is excellent, but it'd be lovely to replay Panzer Dragoon Saga with some sort of graphics filtering.

I recall some emulator (Girigiri?) did that but it was pulled because it was illegal?

Does it have a modchip? This happens if the chip isn't getting power from the power supply.

Also, what's wrong with the Saturn Virtual ON? I enjoy it a lot more than VOOT.

3rdman

Is there a Saturn emulator that will increase the resolution, similarly to what Dolphin or EPSXE do?

I realize SSF's emulation is excellent, but it'd be lovely to replay Panzer Dragoon Saga with some sort of graphics filtering.

I recall some emulator (Girigiri?) did that but it was pulled because it was illegal?
You are correct...Girigiri actually began as a homebrew project before SEGA bought the rights to it. They tweaked it and used it in a short-lived commercial venture that allowed Japanese gamers to download and play Saturn games on their PCs. Hackers quickly culled the emulator from it and found many games worked with it included Panzer Dragoon Saga.

An issue with Saga though is that at certain times (some real-time cutscenes) the game wouldn't advance to the next line of dialogue and the game would simply stay on whatever the last image was.

But you are right, it is still the only emulator to actually render the game at whatever res you want! I still hope that one day Sega will release the source for that... :(

Also, what's wrong with the Saturn Virtual ON? I enjoy it a lot more than VOOT.

Ports of Arcade games get flak when they're not arcade perfect. The parity between Naomi and Dreamcast made a port of VOOT a cinch. Model 2 is a different story, as it's way more powerful that Saturn, hence the less than ideal home port of VOOM.

Tain

Saturn Virtual On messed with (removed, iirc) dash cancelling, which hurts the skill gulf quite a bit. Not to mention the simplified arenas (a downside), the 30fps sluggishness (a downside), and the altered move properties all over the place (an oddity, probably a downside).

In a world where the PC and PS2 versions of Virtual On exist, I can't really justify playing the Saturn version. I do think VOOT is an overall better game, though.

Ports of Arcade games get flak when they're not arcade perfect. The parity between Naomi and Dreamcast made a port of VOOT a cinch. Model 2 is a different story, as it's way more powerful that Saturn, hence the less than ideal home port of VOOM.

Yeah, I understand that, but...twin sticks! Still, I guess both the PC and PS2 versions are mostly arcade-perfect or arcade+.

Fou-Lu

Well, there is a mod chip inside my Saturn, I don't know what to do now though. The soldering job looks pretty bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what's causing my problem. I don't know where to go from here though.

Well, there is a mod chip inside my Saturn, I don't know what to do now though. The soldering job looks pretty bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what's causing my problem. I don't know where to go from here though.

Post some picaroos for us.

Whoa, there was a PC VOOM?

Yup. Hard to find though. Came out alongside Worldwide Soccer, Virtua Cop, Bug, and a lot of other Sega Saturn titles for PC. I never owned Virtual-ON but I had some of the others.

Tain

Whoa, there was a PC VOOM?

Yup, from that weird 1997ish time when Sega ported some of their bigger games to PC. I haven't played a lot of it, but it seems like a pretty faithful port of the arcade version without some of the shine effects and capped at 30fps. Hell, there was even a version made for a specific type of 3D accelerator. That version might have been 60fps. Definitely had filtered textures.

VF2 on PC was a great port, too, if I remember right.

Saturn Virtual On is so terrible, though. :[

The best thing to do with Saturn twinsticks is probably hacking 'em up for use with 360 VOOT, but using Dreamcast adapter and playing the DC version isn't bad.
Make sure to get the Saturn Mobile Suit Gundam Sidestory Volumes 2 & 3 (or find the Blue Destiny package with all three) since 2 & 3 support the VO twinsticks.

Virtual ON for PC had a option to switch between 30 and 60 FPS.

Make sure to get the Saturn Mobile Suit Gundam Sidestory Volumes 2 & 3 (or find the Blue Destiny package with all three) since 2 & 3 support the VO twinsticks.

I've been keeping my eyes open for Blue Destiny and haven't seen it anywhere recently. Might be blind though.

Stylo

You are correct...Girigiri actually began as a homebrew project before SEGA bought the rights to it. They tweaked it and used it in a short-lived commercial venture that allowed Japanese gamers to download and play Saturn games on their PCs. Hackers quickly culled the emulator from it and found many games worked with it included Panzer Dragoon Saga.

An issue with Saga though is that at certain times (some real-time cutscenes) the game wouldn't advance to the next line of dialogue and the game would simply stay on whatever the last image was.

But you are right, it is still the only emulator to actually render the game at whatever res you want! I still hope that one day Sega will release the source for that... :(

If only another project was in development to do the same thing :(....

Seik

Banned

That would be awesome! Still, I like playing the games on their original resolution for the 'that's the true, real, raw shit I'm playing right now' feeling. But I'm definitely curious to see how Saturn game would look like with higher resolutions. Maybe for the next SSF upgrade, who know...

That would be awesome! Still, I like playing the games on their original resolution for the 'that's the true, real, raw shit I'm playing right now' feeling. But I'm definitely curious to see how Saturn game would look like with higher resolutions. Maybe for the next SSF upgrade, who know...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpacechannel5?feature=watch

This guy has a bunch of videos of Dreamcast games on NullDC running at way higher internal resolutions. Pretty awesome to check out.

Yabause allows you to set resolution, but gamewise the compatibility isn't as good yet.

Jazzem

I bought a Saturn a few months ago. Was always interested in the machine but honestly never came in contact with one, never knew anyone who had it.

I haven't gotten that many games for it but I can tell it's a system I'm going to really enjoy, a lot of the great games of it appeal to me and the controller is excellent. It's just a shame it seems to be quite expensive to collect for :p

Got my PAL machine modded for 60Hz and imports too which is nice. Only have Fighters Megamix and Christmas NiGHTS as far as JP imports go but they work 100% fine and I can tell I'm going to want to pick up a bunch of them, the packaging is so nice! Plus there seems to be a lot of cases where the Japanese versions of games are the cheaper options.

Would also like to show some love for Sonic R, I played the PC version to death as a kid and still hold a special fondness for it; it was one of the first games I sought out for the system! I even sort of non-ironically enjoy the music <_<

Karak

I thought Satourne allowed for increased res? I know one of them did and I played Nights on it.

As for Nights. Oh ya baby. Nights is so wonderful. My lord.

Karak

Would also like to show some love for Sonic R, I played the PC version to death as a kid and still hold a special fondness for it; it was one of the first games I sought out for the system! I even sort of non-ironically enjoy the music <_<

Sonic R is so fun. But the Saturn draw and pop in is..honestly so bad that it has to be seen to be believed.

Seik

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpacechannel5?feature=watch

This guy has a bunch of videos of Dreamcast games on NullDC running at way higher internal resolutions. Pretty awesome to check out.

Yeah its beautiful indeed, its been long since I played Dreamcast on a emulator, like 2-3 years ago I'm not sure if it was NullDC or Chankast but I was having problem setting up a controller, Joy2key was far from enough to me, way too stiff when using the analog. Was NullDC upgraded since the last 2 years? I let the dreamcast emulation scene go for one reason, VGA box, that thing is wonderful. But it sure does nothing like your video based on NullDC... :O

cj_iwakura

Just what I hear. With the PS3, my TV needs to be at 50% volume to get the audio quality my Saturn gets at like 25%. And the latter has way better stereo effects.

I wouldn't say that VO Saturn is terrible but it still was a good port for its time. The graphics are still pretty clean considering its age. At least I am enjoying it...

Right now, I'd like to play Daytona USA :(

Best I could manage so far is 3rd position on the advanced track. I wanna get better. I am that close of purchasing the HD version on xbla.

Seik

Banned
Never tried VO, I think I'll search for both Nights and this on ebay tonight. I want some new stuff! :D

Right now, I'd like to play Daytona USA :(

Best I could manage so far is 3rd position on the advanced track. I wanna get better. I am that close of purchasing the HD version on xbla.

Go for it! Its not even pricey. :p

Top Bottom