• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Tain

please go for PS2 VO instead :[

if you need something mech-related on Saturn get GunGriffon, GunGriffon 2, or Assault Suits Leynos 2

Totally get NiGHTS, though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
please go for PS2 VO instead :[

if you need something mech-related on Saturn get GunGriffon, GunGriffon 2, or Assault Suits Leynos 2

Totally get NiGHTS, though.

I'd suggest getting NiGHTS on PS2 also. :p

Wonderful thread btw. I got Soukyugurentai Otokuyo recently and absolutely love it. It's like Radiant Silvergun except actually fun :)
I also have to recommend Cotton 2 and Boomerang to any Saturn fan. Great music, incredible spritework and a really unique scoring system. If you play Cotton 2 make sure you use the code to unlock the extra buttons for command shots though!

Wonderful thread btw. I got Soukyugurentai Otokuyo recently and absolutely love it. It's like Radiant Silvergun except actually fun :)

I've tried repeatedly to appreciate Radiant Silvergun but I feel like I'm missing something because I don't really think it's that great a game. Like you, I enjoy Soukyugurentai more, but more on that later.

Here's my conspiracy theory regarding Radiant Silvergun: the game is a good shmup and has some really unique ideas, but the near-religious amount of praise that it gets is the result of snowballing hype begun by UK magazines 'back in the day' a decade ago.

Basically Sega Saturn was flagging in the UK and Sega Saturn Magazine (SSM) UK was following it down the tubes. The editors were so desperate for stories, for attention, for SOMETHING to hype the dying Saturn that when they saw a solid shmup from a cult-favorite developer on the horizon they pitched it as a masterpiece with glowing previews and coverage. That built Silvergun a rep that has cascaded through hyperbole and forum chatter into what it is today...a 'must-play' gaming legend. I think something similar happened with Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Flame me all you want; that's my guess.

Back to Soukyugurentai - luka, what's your opinion on the ranking/difficulty system? I asked another guy this earlier and didn't get any conversation going. Do you find the game easy to beat, and do you avoid powerups to avoid increasing your rank or just take the difficulty boost along with the extra firepower? Do you use the web almost exclusively instead of the shot? I just ask because I'm having difficulty clearing the game and I feel like it shouldn't be this tough.

I don't think of it as a conspiracy Genesis Knight. Games, just like every other medium has their sacred cows, and Radiant Silvergun is one of them.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Back to Soukyugurentai - luka, what's your opinion on the ranking/difficulty system? I asked another guy this earlier and didn't get any conversation going. Do you find the game easy to beat, and do you avoid powerups to avoid increasing your rank or just take the difficulty boost along with the extra firepower? Do you use the web almost exclusively instead of the shot? I just ask because I'm having difficulty clearing the game and I feel like it shouldn't be this tough.

I haven't managed to clear it yet, but yeah, I tend to stick to lazer over shot. I just can't handle the density if my shot gets too powerful. :p Plus with a weak shot your chances of getting bombs goes up. It's definitely not an easy game so don't worry too much if you're having problems. That's just eighting for you.
I'm generally not a fan of games with heavy rank control that force you to play counterintuitively and like things to be a little more straightforward, but gurentai is pretty inoffensive compared to eighting's other stuff in that regard.

edit: regarding silvergun, i think the answer is simple. it's flashy, colorful, has phenomenal music and a neat story. the saturn version basically lets you grind it out to bypass the mandatory chaining system that is at the heart of the game's problems. on the surface it's a god-tier, insanely well produced shooter. it's only when you really start playing seriously that it becomes a pain.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the answers. So if I want to replay Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'll need to stick to SSF? Does Yabause support it properly? Is there a workaround for Girigiri?

Would love to replay the game with decent graphics!

Seik

Banned
I'd suggest getting NiGHTS on PS2 also. :p

I also have to recommend Cotton 2 and Boomerang to any Saturn fan. Great music, incredible spritework and a really unique scoring system. If you play Cotton 2 make sure you use the code to unlock the extra buttons for command shots though!

I want Nights in its more basic, original format, that's me. XD

Thanks, I really appreciate the good feedbacks and its great to focus-talk Saturn with GAFers. :) If there is one series I can recommend its Parodius, my favorite one on Saturn is Jikkyou Osyaberi Parodius. Pure random fun!

When I bought RS, I was so hyped (probably because it cost a shitload), then I finally got to play it, yes it was good in its own unique awesome way. But I'm honestly having more fun playing Dodonpachi, which is great too. The irony in this is that I'm actually watching a copy of Cotton 2 on Ebay since 1 week. :p

IMG_4809.jpg
You'd think after all this time we'd have HDTVs better than CRTs in every single way but we don't. In fact they are filled with flaws. It's disappointing to say the least.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
That pic got me all hot and bothered. So pretty. :3
I immediately went and started working in my old toshiba's service menu to try to fix it's messed up geometry to play some saturn bomberman. Sadly, it's beyond salvation, but it's still playable and looks great aside from the warping around the edges. It makes me sad that these displays are quickly becoming endangered species. :(

Seik

Banned
That pic got me all hot and bothered. So pretty. :3
I immediately went and started working in my old toshiba's service menu to try to fix it's messed up geometry to play some saturn bomberman. Sadly, it's beyond salvation, but it's still playable and looks great aside from the warping around the edges. It makes me sad that these displays are quickly becoming endangered species. :(

There's still some shops where you can find one. For example, there's a Hart where I live and they are still selling some of them cheap, but these are bastard brands and its all little TVs. Still, this technology is clearly dying fast and it is sad indeed. I wouldn't say endangered species though, a lot of people still got one, you may even find someone near who's making an HD-switch and wants to get rid of his/her old TV, just saying.

dave_d

You'd think after all this time we'd have HDTVs better than CRTs in every single way but we don't. In fact they are filled with flaws. It's disappointing to say the least.

You could always try to pick up a HD CRT TV on craigs list since people don't want them. (Of course those things tend to only do 1080i and 480i and are freaking heavy.)

dave_d

1080i and 480p I think. And some do 720p.

I stand corrected. I actually checked it out on Amazon and found a listing for a 30" CRT HDTV that apparently did 720p. (Of course the thing weighs more than 100lbs where as a 40" LCD will be about 50lbs so there's always that.)

Seik

Banned
AWESOME thread fellas. I can't tell you how excited to see others appreciate the Saturn

Same here, bra! :D

I've tried other games this morning, still no problem, everything runs perfectly! here are some shots:

Darius Gaiden, awesome shmup, I recommend to anybody who likes the genre. 2D awesomeness!
oZAAQ.png

Dragon Ball Z Legends.
ZOyZc.png

Castlevania Dracula X.
hKfvv.png

Panzer Dragoon (Dat soundtrack).
J84qC.png

Theonik

@The HDCRT discussion above
You can grab a 34XBR-960 for $200ish on eBay these days. If you don't mind it being small and have somewhere to put it these sets are still excellent once you get them in your house.
Edit: Should have quoted oh well. Another thing to note is that HDCRTs are sometimes not so nice to 480i/240p sources so for Saturn games like in this thread that's a thing to consider. I Run my old games on my Old Phillips Matchline via RGB SCART. (It's a PAL model so no extra effort required)

AdvanS13

Neo Member
@The HDCRT discussion above
You can grab a 34XBR-960 for $200ish on eBay these days. If you don't mind it being small and have somewhere to put it these sets are still excellent once you get them in your house.
Edit: Should have quoted oh well. Another thing to note is that HDCRTs are sometimes not so nice to 480i/240p sources so for Saturn games like in this thread that's a thing to consider. I Run my old games on my Old Phillips Matchline via RGB SCART. (It's a PAL model so no extra effort required)

Good advice. The only draw back with the HD CRTs are the light gun capability. However, I am sure most don't care.

Edit: I prefer the 4:3 wega models personally.

meppi

Basically Sega Saturn was flagging in the UK and Sega Saturn Magazine (SSM) UK was following it down the tubes. The editors were so desperate for stories, for attention, for SOMETHING to hype the dying Saturn that when they saw a solid shmup from a cult-favorite developer on the horizon they pitched it as a masterpiece with glowing previews and coverage. That built Silvergun a rep that has cascaded through hyperbole and forum chatter into what it is today...a 'must-play' gaming legend. I think something similar happened with Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Flame me all you want; that's my guess.

I don't believe that to be the case at all.

Plenty of big games as well as smaller ones got the same kind of in-depth features and specials in the magazine all the time. (Dead or Alive, Grandia, Castlevania, Guardian Heroes, Gun Griffon, Steep Slope Sliders, X-Men COTA, etc)
So it comes as no surprise that a game by Treasure, or Sonic Team for that matter, which were loved by just about any Sega fan back in the day and who were seen as some of the top developers, got so much coverage.
They did the exact same thing for all the big Sega arcade games as well as Capcom or SNK games to just name a few.

About them looking to hype the Sega Saturn at that point in time, I believe that's not quite what they were doing.
Heck, when they started covering Radiant Silvergun in those last couple of months they had already fully admitted that the system was on it's last legs in Europe. That's why they put such emphasis on import games.
As well as doing specials about the upcoming Dreamcast system and arcade games that were supposed to make the jump to the 128-bit console.

They weren't looking to sell the Saturn to people that had ignored it up till that point.
They were trying to give people who had stuck with it, coverage on games that would help them bridge the gap between the Saturn and Dreamcast in Europe by making them look at the options that importing games would bring.
That is until the deal that they thought they had with Sega feel through about creating the Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine, at which point the crew at OSSM got one last issue to say goodbye before it was shut down.

Seik

Banned
About Radiant Silvergun, I'd like to add that, yes, it may be overhyped for some, but it all depends on the person who's buying it. Personally, I don't regret a single cent invested on this gem. Yes I said I prefer playing Dodonpachi, but RS still is an experience any shmups enthusiast shouldn't miss. It really is a deep and challenging, well done masterpiece.

Why do you stretch it to widescreen and make everything look fat?

It looks fucking gross.

I prefer playing fullscreen. Sorry if it makes your eyes bleed. D:

It looks good enough for me. :p

EDIT: Is there any translation patch for Princess Crown? This game looks amazing, I'm checking it out on youtube, if a patch do exist, I buy right now! :p

Boerseun

Banned
I just tried Shining The Holy Ark. HUGE improvement over playing on an original Saturn. It has absolutely no lags while running on SSF. Huge slowdowns are happening on Saturn during a spell or while sending a bunch of dwarves/fairies in the beginning of a fight.

yX9GD.png

Man its been a while since I played, its so good, dat battle theme!

Yeah, this game is good! It's not as flashy as the Final Fantasy games on Ps1 but is arguably more engaging than any of them except FF9. Hundred hours playtime too.

For you Saturn-heads, heads up that I'm starting to part out my Saturn collection a bit (all original NA versions--bought day one by myself back in the 90s!). I love the system so much that some games I won't be selling, but I have a few rare things some of you might be interested in.

RiZ III

How did I miss out on Panzer Dragoon 2? HOW? This game is amazing...and the soundtrack is extremely good.

Yup. That game is a masterpiece. I don't even know how many times I've played through it. It has the best soundtrack too imo, closely followed by Saga.

The stories in the PD games were just fantastic, too. I was always fascinated by the world that they created and wanted more and more games to flesh it out.

I'd pay an obscene amount for HD versions of PD1, 2, and Saga.

Teknoman

I'd like a new PD game as well, Orta was great, and I thought we would get another this gen, but the only thing i'm seeing is the Kinect spiritual successor.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Same here, bra! :D

I've tried other games this morning, still no problem, everything runs perfectly! here are some shots:

Darius Gaiden, awesome shmup, I recommend to anybody who likes the genre. 2D awesomeness!
oZAAQ.png

Love that series. What was the difference between that and G-Darius on PS1? I LOVED G-Darius on PS1. So much fun.

cj_iwakura

I have to say, for a 3d action RPG, Virtual Hydlide looks dang good.

Shame I hit a wall at the lava caves. I was enjoying it, in a sadistic kind of way.

Tain

Shame I hit a wall at the lava caves. I was enjoying it, in a sadistic kind of way.

When I brought that game home from Funcoland as a kid and popped it in, the first thought was that it looked like a made-up game that would be seen being played by characters on a TV sitcom.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I must've played through VH at least three times. Strange muddy ugly game with virtually no tech behind it. Still oddly fun.

Seik

Banned
Dang you guys are making me want to pull my sega Saturn out of the closet. I hope the batteries still work!

Go for it man! :D

Even if your battery is dead (which probably is), those can be found for almost nothing. There's a 1$ market that sells packages of 3 for 1$ here, guess its the same deal where you live. The sad thing is that you lose your saves...:(

I know, and I actually did yesterday...

...ONLY TO FIND THAT DISC ONE OF PANZER DRAGOON SAGA IS NOT IN ITS CASE.

:((((((

Shiiiiiiit! D: Costy lost right there!

Took two hours tearing apart my entertainment center last night. It had become a ridiculous mess of cabling, switches, power adapters, and power strips. Ditched the PSX, PS2, and Wii and pared it down to the Gen/32x/CD, oXbox and 360, Dreamcast, and...Sega Saturn. Much better. :)

Top Bottom