• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

ag-my001

Been playing way too much EU3 over the last few weeks, and I've noticed two main things:

1) The interface needs to move around more. I'm getting burn-in on my LCD from the alerts that never disappear. Also, I need a clock visible.

2) England sucks. As an ally, their troops are never where you need them. As an enemy, they're just a pain. Currently playing as Munster trying to make a colonial empire. Ten years before I can move my capital across the ocean, GB DoW's me and won't accept any surrender. Best I can tell, they want the province of Munster for their Reconquest CB, but I can't give it to them. By the time I get a core in N.A., my war exhaustion has rebels popping up everywhere preventing the move. I tried rolling back to an earlier save, building up a bigger fleet for hit and run attacks on their blockades, while at the same time buying up good relations. I got about three years further in before getting hit by three straight insults and DoW. Burgandy should have helped, but their gigantic stack was in the exact wrong place.

Also, I'm playing on HttT, having purchased the game through Impulse. If I want to grab Divine Wind, do I have to use that still, or can I get it from Steam and point it to the right location?

flowsnake

Also, I'm playing on HttT, having purchased the game through Impulse. If I want to grab Divine Wind, do I have to use that still, or can I get it from Steam and point it to the right location?

Steam says "This Expansion requires the Steam version of Europa Universalis III Complete and Heir to the Throne in order to play.".

I think you could get it from anywhere but Steam (at least anywhere without that kind of DRM that just installs the game normally) and it would work. Or just buy Chronicles in the next sale for $notmuch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woo, EU3 talk:

iiiGNfMC2UVdX.jpg

Started off with Saxony, dabbled around until 1387 (Extended start with Death & Taxes mod), trying to find a way getting some regions around me. Got myself to be the most prestigious country in the meantime through tasks,magistrat options and advisors.

However, now I got the problem that I am still in the Influence sphere of Bohemia and I cant attack ANY country near me without them joining the fray.

I have 3 trade centers tightly gripped, going to for trade buildings etc, but how can I expand? Any way to force a Casus Belli somehow? Some idea how they might NOT join in when I try to attack other countries? I am already trying to marry my country to every country thats missing an heir, but no luck so far.

Oh and:
ibapGBMoArbAiu.jpg

I cant change my treasury slider (which is greyed out as you can see), what could be the reason for that? Maybe because my legitimacy is too low?

I have 3 trade centers tightly gripped, going to for trade buildings etc, but how can I expand? Any way to force a Casus Belli somehow? Some idea how they might NOT join in when I try to attack other countries? I am already trying to marry my country to every country thats missing an heir, but no luck so far.

You can "claim throne" on a country with disputed succession if you have more prestige than them and a royal marriage. This gives you the Claim On Throne CB, which means the Emperor will not intervene in the war (unless he's an ally of your enemy, lol). You can then force a Personal Union as part of the peace treaty. When you inherit a PU partner in the HRE, you get free cores on their land, woo!

Other than this, you'll have to wait for border disputes, border friction or the protestant reformation (National Idea Unam Sanctum = CB on all heretics) before you'll be able to get some good CBs.

Patience is the key for expanding as a small power. Your larger neighbors will be abandoned by their allies if they have a lot of war exhaustion, so wait until they've been involved in some other war for a while. Alternatively, you can try to build an alliance bloc of your own to counter theirs.

Oh and:
ibapGBMoArbAiu.jpg

I cant change my treasury slider (which is greyed out as you can see), what could be the reason for that? Maybe because my legitimacy is too low?

Holy shit get a lid on that inflation NOW.

It's greyed out because it's been "locked" into place by right clicking on it (probably by accident). Right click on it again to unlock it, set it to zero and then get National Bank idea / Master of the Mint advisor ASAP.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Holy shit get a lid on that inflation NOW.

It's greyed out because it's been "locked" into place by right clicking on it (probably by accident). Right click on it again to unlock it, set it to zero and then get National Bank idea / Master of the Mint advisor ASAP.

Thanks for the hints! And I dont notice any problems with my inflation so far... I am at that inflation level for 40 years or something, I had huge issues getting money to send out enough merchants for them to become profitable in their region, so I used more money from that slider. Worked though, I guess. Don't need it anymore , thats why I wanted to put it down now.

I'll try that claim throne thing, lets see how that comes along.

Edit: Ooooh I see, its hard to keep governing without having the treasury slider at a certain level at all. Hm. Need to be more careful with that in my next game.

Thanks for the hints! And I dont notice any problems with my inflation so far... I am at that inflation level for 40 years or something, I had huge issues getting money to send out enough merchants for them to become profitable in their region, so I used more money from that slider. Worked though, I guess. Don't need it anymore , thats why I wanted to put it down now.

I'll try that claim throne thing, lets see how that comes along.

28 inflation means that everything you do costs 28% more money than the base value, including new technology levels. Money spent on "treasury" is also money that isn't invested into techs. You're a strong trade power so you're probably still competitive, but you would be teching even faster if you didn't have that inflation.

Warning about the Claim Throne option - it gives a relations hit to everyone you have a royal marriage with. It's not something you can do willy nilly if you've been marrying everybody in Europe unless you're happy to take a big hit. Only do it on targets that are "worth" forming a PU with. The One Province Minors surrounding you are probably not worth it, but forming a PU with Bohemia or Brandenburg would be worth it.

When you have a PU partner that is significantly stronger than you, they will send insults at you constantly when your relations are high. This is because they want to break free. They won't insult you if you're both at war though, so you can use them as a battering ram to lay claim to surrounding states to become more powerful so they stop rebelling.

Expanding inside the HRE is problematic because every unlawful territory you own (territory you don't have a core on) gives a big infamy penalty. Coring a province takes 50 years, so expansion with unlawful territory is sloooow. It's possible that you might leave the HRE alltogether before you go on a conquest spree, and then you use the "remove province from HRE' decision on each province you conquer so you don't get a Formal Request event that makes you lose a stability point for each province in the HRE you took.

If you are unfamiliar with HRE mechanics and playing small nations, or unfamiliar with EU3 in general and its underlying mechanics, playing Saxony was one of the worst choices you could make for a country, lol.

Toma

28 inflation means that everything you do costs 28% more money than the base value, including new technology levels. Money spent on "treasury" is also money that isn't invested into techs. You're a strong trade power so you're probably still competitive, but you would be teching even faster if you didn't have that inflation.

Warning about the Claim Throne option - it gives a relations hit to everyone you have a royal marriage with. It's not something you can do willy nilly if you've been marrying everybody in Europe unless you're happy to take a big hit.

Ah alright thanks. Well then that wont work out too well anyway since I need to do that with quite a few countries to get to a decent size. Well, I guess I have something to do for my next 50 governing years - getting rid of that inflation.

Toma

Damn, you responded before my ninja edit went through. I'm not used to this thread being active :O

Heh, I was waiting/refreshing for your reply since I dont want to shit it up even more ;P

Toma

If you are unfamiliar with HRE mechanics and playing small nations, or unfamiliar with EU3 in general and its underlying mechanics, playing Saxony was one of the worst choices you could make for a country, lol.

My favorite starting country is usually Portugal, I just wanted to try saxony, that being my home. And I don't mind it being slow, playing saxony I leard some tactics I didnt need to use while playing as Portugal, so its not really a wasted experience. Certainly doesnt make me play worse overall!

Edit: Its not like the game needs to convince me of its quality, I just wanted a different experience, and I am certainly getting that in this round.

Hari Seldon

I can't stop playing CK2. I probably have 150 hours into it lol. I am rolling The Prince and the Thane mode I found on the Paradox boards, it adds a ton of buildings and some economics (certain provinces give way more money due to stuff like having minerals or whatever).

I don't mean saxony can't be fun, just that One Province Minors in the HRE are really difficult to play and expand as. If you're outside the HRE you can at least use wars of aggression to get what you want without too many consequences, or if you're a large nation in the HRE you can usually conquer lands outside it or get good missions that grant cores (e.g. Austria's claims to North Italy or Brandenburg's Pommerianian Succession).

Toma

I don't mean saxony can't be fun, just that One Province Minors in the HRE are really difficult to play and expand as. If you're outside the HRE you can at least use wars of aggression to get what you want without too many consequences, or if you're a large nation in the HRE you can usually conquer lands outside it or get good missions that grant cores (e.g. Austria's claims to North Italy or Brandenburg's Pommerianian Succession).

Yup, thanks for the advice! I'll probably try one of those after my "learning" experience with Saxony ;)

Toma

Oh btw, forgot to ask, which countries would you recommend for a beginner friendly coop round?

Fitz

Oh btw, forgot to ask, which countries would you recommend for a beginner friendly coop round?

I reckon Castile and Portugal would be good choices, also England if you can make semi-decent use of their navy. Then France if you're ok with dealing with lots of vassals, Austria if you've got no problem messing around with the HRE, and maybe Denmark if you're ok dealing with Personal Unions.

Toma

I reckon Castile and Portugal would be good choices, also England if you can make semi-decent use of their navy. Then France if you're ok with dealing with lots of vassals, Austria if you've got no problem messing around with the HRE, and maybe Denmark if you're ok dealing with Personal Unions.

Alright, thanks. Portugal & Spain it is then.

zoku88

Crusader kings 2 tutorials are so much better than eu3s. Amazing. Also how come I can't be a muslim dude in it :(

Muslims can't crusade, silly!

I can't stop playing CK2. I probably have 150 hours into it lol. I am rolling The Prince and the Thane mode I found on the Paradox boards, it adds a ton of buildings and some economics (certain provinces give way more money due to stuff like having minerals or whatever).
Never heard of this mod, looking it up now.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I think the Muslims were crusading against each other ironically. The whole Shiite vs Sunni thing was all out war back when.

Son1x

Yup, thanks for the advice! I'll probably try one of those after my "learning" experience with Saxony ;)

The thing about OPM's is that they also relay on luck. I'd probably try to get a PU with any 1/2 province minor within the HRE. Good thing is that when you go to war with the Force PU casus belli, they'll be the war leader, so you just gotta occupy their only/two provinces and immediatelly end it by forcing the union. Also try to get as many vassals in those wars since they increase your force limit and they give you half of their tax income.

Aside from that, you gotta hope on getting either Claims on our Rivals or Boundary Dispute to get cores on neighbouring provinces. And even after getting them, you gotta start a war with that neighbour without getting any of the bigger nations involved. Mostly becomes a waiting game.

Also, once you get at least another province, it gets a lot easier.

I would recomment playing a 2 or 3 province HRE minor first to get the hang of playing the HRE minors. I played both Holland (my first real game) and Hesse before going with Frankfurt. Ended up having a blast and owned about half of Germany before I stopped playing that save since it was the 4.9 -> 5.0 patch for D&T and saves weren't compatible.

edit: Completely forgot about my Wurttemberg game too. So I've had 3 succesful 2/3 province minor games before moving on. I've also tried Saxe-Lauenberg (sp?) but I was bored of waiting since nothing happened in the first 80 years so I never got back to that.

Toma

Small Update to my game:

Right after we talked about it here..
iVLzpGX98iT8V.jpg

I got the random core message for Meissen, Dresden and Bamberg :D Fortunately, I had enough money from my huge inflation time sitting around to steamroll them in short enough time without getting into bankruptcy. It probably also helped that Bohemia was busy with Austria at that time, no idea whether they would have tried to fight against me as well otherwise. Unfortunately, I missed that Thuringen was NOT a core province... soooo eh. Whatever, I'll try that "wait 50 years" thing with them I guess.

I actually tried only to annex the provinces I got cores in, and Anhalt and Würzburg were made Vassals.

In the meantime my inflation "sunk" to 27,7. So I guess I'll be polishing that up a bit more. Oh and trying to get rid of that 9,4 infamy for vassalizing those states, but I couldnt pass that opportunity up... Meissen will be annexed later when I got rid of my infamy.

And seriously guys, I wasnt bored :p It was waiting around for 50 years or something, with mostly minor political stuff and trading, but it was fine, and now finally worth it!

zoku88

What year are you in, Toma?

With that high inflation, I would expect you to start falling behind in technology at some point.

Hari Seldon

I hope one day Paradox can make a CK2 style game from a few hundred years before the fall of the Romans all the way up till WW1. That would be friggen epic.

Toma

What year are you in, Toma?

With that high inflation, I would expect you to start falling behind in technology at some point.

Yeah, might be. But this game is really just more of an (learning) experiment. If it works out - great, if it doesnt - whatever, I learned quite a lot of stuff while playing :)

Year 1391, every tech up to 8 (D&T mod).

I was sort of trying to readjust that tech disadvantage with tech advisors, but no idea whether/how much I am behind.

Son1x

Yeah, might be. But this game is really just more of an (learning) experiment. If it works out - great, if it doesnt - whatever, I learned quite a lot of stuff while playing :)

Year 1391, every tech up to 8 (D&T mod).

I was sort of trying to readjust that tech disadvantage with tech advisors, but no idea whether/how much I am behind.

You can either use the technology mapmode (easiest way) or go through the technology ledgers.

zoku88

I hope one day Paradox can make a CK2 style game from a few hundred years before the fall of the Romans all the way up till WW1. That would be friggen epic.

It seems like that wouldn't work, considering the lesser prominence of dynasties as time goes on.

Toma

You can either use the technology mapmode (easiest way) or go through the technology ledgers.

ibrpiHthX3dvkH.jpg

Hm, not up front with technology, but not too bad either I guess. Well, lets see what comes next for my little Saxony!

zoku88

This time, dynamic kingdoms!

[quoteThe first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy. This also makes the unification of Spain, as one Kingdom, a long-term practical goal[/quote]

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-1.05-Development-Diary-2-of-3-April-6th-2012

Toma

Another EU3 question:

Will diplomatically annexed vassals also make problems for me in the HRE? Like the forcefully annexed nations? Or should I just keep them as Vassals?

Another EU3 question:

Will diplomatically annexed vassals also make problems for me in the HRE? Like the forcefully annexed nations? Or should I just keep them as Vassals?

Inheriting via Personal Union is the only way you are granted free cores on territory in the HRE; diplo-annexing a vassal will result in the unlawful territory modifier to your infamy, and the emperor will ask you to release the territory.

Toma

Inheriting via Personal Union is the only way you are granted free cores on territory in the HRE; diplo-annexing a vassal will result in the unlawful territory modifier to your infamy, and the emperor will ask you to release the territory.

Sigh, I was hoping peacefully annexing them would be okay. Alright, alright.
Thanks again, though!

I should note that there is one exception - you have an "integrate X into your country" mission, which grants cores when you diplo annex them. Complete or cancel other missions until you get them, lol. This only grants ONE core though, so its not great for vassals with > 1 province since you'll still wind up with the modifier for each additional province.

Toma

I should note that there is one exception - you have an "integrate X into your country" mission, which grants cores when you diplo annex them. Complete or cancel other missions until you get them, lol. This only grants ONE core though, so its not great for vassals with > 1 province since you'll still wind up with the modifier for each additional province.

Well, thats something at least. All my current and future vassals will probably be only single province countries anyway. So who knows! :)

zoku88

I'm really excited about that de jure kingdom stuff.

Right now, I'm the King of Burgundy and Bohemia, but the Duke of Bohemia isn't my vassal and he owns most of Bohemia...

Kind of messed up that I can't go to war with him without forging claims...

ZZMitch

Does anyone here know how cultural shifts work? (EU3)

I am just wondering because in my current game I have gotten a few provences to shift to my culture Southern Germany/Switzerland and North of the Black Sea (areas under my rule btw). What decides a culture shift? Also, what does that effect?

Also, cannons don't slow armies down as much as I thought. I added 2 cannons to each of my armies (so they are now 15 inf/5 cav/2 art) and the time difference for moving between provinces only changed by 1-3 days. This is early 1700s by the way.

This is in Death and Taxes by the way, dunno if that changes anything.

Does anyone here know how cultural shifts work? (EU3)

I am just wondering because in my current game I have gotten a few provences to shift to my culture Southern Germany/Switzerland and North of the Black Sea (areas under my rule btw). What decides a culture shift? Also, what does that effect?

Also, cannons don't slow armies down as much as I thought. I added 2 cannons to each of my armies (so they are now 15 inf/5 cav/2 art) and the time difference for moving between provinces only changed by 1-3 days. This is early 1700s by the way.

This is in Death and Taxes by the way, dunno if that changes anything.

For cultural shift to be available, the "Primary culture" of your nation must be different from the culture of your capital province, and the culture in your capital province must be the "dominant" culture (majority) in your nation. Countries that are unions of culture groups (Great Britain, France, Germany etc) aren't eligible for cultural shifts, and neither are Prussia/ Formed HRE.

Derrick01

Banned
Picked up CK2 on the amazon sale, now I sit around and wait for a good time to be completely overwhelmed by it like with EU3.

Toma

How does MP work with EU3 btw? I couldnt test it yet, but its not turn-based, nor would you want to be at a steady time speed for the whole game. How has that problem been solved?

How does MP work with EU3 btw? I couldnt test it yet, but its not turn-based, nor would you want to be at a steady time speed for the whole game. How has that problem been solved?

Host gets speed control, anybody can pause. Pausing has a 30 second timer, after which anybody can unpause. If nobody elects to unpause, it stays paused. Usually when nothing is happenin the game will proceed at the 2nd highest speed, then if somebody needs to micro or something he will pause and request a slower speed from the host.

Kabouter

Host gets speed control, anybody can pause. Pausing has a 30 second timer, after which anybody can unpause. If nobody elects to unpause, it stays paused. Usually when nothing is happenin the game will proceed at the 2nd highest speed, then if somebody needs to micro or something he will pause and request a slower speed from the host.

We always found the middle speed setting worked best, and anything higher caused frequent loss of synchronization.

Oh the crap just hit the fan, my previous ruler who ruled for 37 years and died at 67 must not have set up the succession right. My third son, prince murchard is the duke of gwyenned and dfuthebert? And the county of Leinster

But here is the huge problem, I arranged a marriage with him and the duchess of moray, he went to live with her. Boom his heirs are outside the dynasty wtf! How did that happen, and when ever I click on his diplomacy, I can't revoke titles (because I guess he is in another house?)

Helpppp

Top Bottom